Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anton Beard and Trey Thompson

Started by hawgball40, December 04, 2017, 11:24:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgball40

should ride the pine. They just don't give enough production to justify being on the floor. cjack and big dan need to be starting in their place. adrio bailey needs to be starting over DT13

Hawg Red

Quote from: hawgball40 on December 04, 2017, 11:24:38 am
should ride the pine. They just don't give enough production to justify being on the floor. cjack and big dan need to be starting in their place. adrio bailey needs to be starting over DT13

Dude....Anton Beard is the 3rd leading scorer on the team and leads the team in assists.

Also, Adrio Bailey does start over Thomas. Thomas hasn't started a single game this season.

What are you on about?

MAGA45

Fake News

HOGINTENNESSEE

BannerMountainMan

Beard's role needs to be changed from holding the ball until theirs 6 seconds on the clock to driving in and dishing it to the open man.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

hawgball40

Beard wastes possessions and thompson can't defend. I mean they are just net negatives on the court, why are they starting?

Pumbaa

Quote from: hawgball40 on December 04, 2017, 12:26:21 pm
Beard wastes possessions and thompson can't defend. I mean they are just net negatives on the court, why are they starting?

If you are basing this off of last game solely...everyone was a net negative.
Your statements could not be further from the truth though. Both have played pretty well so far (minus last game)

hogginbama

Dang when will service providers get more selective on who they allow to have internet access?
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Dominicanhog

Trey looks out of shape... heavier than last year, slower and can't jump as high, if that is even possible...

GoPigs69

I think Beard has looked much improved this year - looks leaner and quicker.

Thompson - well I'm not sure he could possibly have regressed so I suspect he's about what he was and about what he always will be - someone to take up a little space in the paint, occasionally grab a rebound if it bounces right into his hands and throw an assist or two per game if he is out there long enough.

hawgball40

Quote from: Pumbaa on December 04, 2017, 12:56:07 pm
If you are basing this off of last game solely...everyone was a net negative.
Your statements could not be further from the truth though. Both have played pretty well so far (minus last game)
both have been horrible all season. trey can't guard anyone and beard just dribbles himself into trouble and wastes possessions. ocassionally they do something good but overwhelming their contributions are sandwiched between long stretches of mediocre play.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogginbama on December 04, 2017, 01:29:39 pm
Dang when will service providers get more selective on who they allow to have internet access?

;D
Hogs up! Covid down!

Pumbaa

Quote from: hawgball40 on December 04, 2017, 01:55:05 pm
both have been horrible all season. trey can't guard anyone and beard just dribbles himself into trouble and wastes possessions. ocassionally they do something good but overwhelming their contributions are sandwiched between long stretches of mediocre play.

Beard- 3rd in scoring, 1st in assists, 2nd in free throw percentage (above Macon after last game), 2nd most steals
I guess I'm trying to say if Beard is so bad...Arkansas must suck. The rest of the team must be garbage?
I don't believe that is the case at all.

hawgball40

Quote from: Pumbaa on December 04, 2017, 02:08:57 pm
Beard- 3rd in scoring, 1st in assists, 2nd in free throw percentage (above Macon after last game), 2nd most steals
I guess I'm trying to say if Beard is so bad...Arkansas must suck. The rest of the team must be garbage?
I don't believe that is the case at all.
Or an alternate explanation might be that Anderson rewards players for tenure.

Pumbaa

Quote from: hawgball40 on December 04, 2017, 02:32:58 pm

He's a reliable SR who is having the best season of his career. I would reward that too. He will be a big part of this team, which most of us believe will make the NCAA tourney. Think you may be watching him hoping he isn't as good as he's shown.

FATHAWG08

We need to pass the ball more when playing against a zone. To much dribbling not  just Beard but all our guards.
I love off season Football!!

hawgball40

Quote from: Pumbaa on December 04, 2017, 02:46:36 pm
He's a reliable SR who is having the best season of his career. I would reward that too. He will be a big part of this team, which most of us believe will make the NCAA tourney. Think you may be watching him hoping he isn't as good as he's shown.
He's shooting a horrendous 38% from the floor, and only 29% from 3. See, i can cherry pick statistics too.

hawgball40

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on December 04, 2017, 02:54:08 pm
We need to pass the ball more when playing against a zone. To much dribbling not  just Beard but all our guards.
You have to admit, he's the worst one. the ball goes to anton and he freezes for 5 seconds every damn time.

hawgball40

here's a look at his stats for anyone who cares:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/anton-beard-1.html

surprisingly up in a few categories, and then you get to the fg% stuff and realize why. he's taking more shots so his numbers are up, but he's missing an unacceptable number of shots.

cableguy

Anton Beard is much better than last year and our team would miss him if he didn't have him. Razorbacks need to do a better job of screening to get players open.  Trey Thompson should be coming off the bench. Trey had a chance to lose weight and make a solid diffence this year, but for some reason the pounds didn't come off. I'm thankful that Gafford has played better than expected or else Razorbacks would be in a world of hurt. 

JenksHawg

But Bill Walton said Thompson is awesome?

mhuff

Quote from: hawgball40 on December 04, 2017, 02:32:58 pm

Letsroll1200

Gafford should start over Thompson. The team responds well with Gafford being on the floor. ]

Pumbaa

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 04, 2017, 11:27:57 pm
Gafford should start over Thompson. The team responds well with Gafford being on the floor. ]

Right now with his fouling situation you almost have to let him ride the pine those first 4 or so minutes of each half to try buy some cheap minutes off the court with him. Hoping the other team comes out a little cold and Macon and Barford are feeling it. I'd rather see him finishing the game rather than starting if I had to choose between the two.

Pumbaa

Quote from: hawgball40 on December 04, 2017, 02:54:30 pm
He's shooting a horrendous 38% from the floor, and only 29% from 3. See, i can cherry pick statistics too.

Season is still young. Feel as if you're nitpicking on a kid that has made some pretty good strides. When I notice the ball sticking when he gets it is when he's in there without the starting group and their motion away from the ball comes to a stand still. I don't think you can put that all on Beard.

niels_boar

Beard has a higher assist rate and lower TO rate than both Macon and Barford on the season, both of whom have spent a lot of time dribbling 30 feet from the basket in our losses.  Both our stars have been overall fantastic this season, but stopping the ball matters when they go 6 of 21 combined, not so much when they dominate the opposing guards.  Beard actually led us in scoring on 50% eFG% and led us in assists with only 1 TO against Houston.  Both Barford and Macon had more TOs than assists. Beard was the one player that played half decently in the first half against Houston.  Why he is being singled out for this game is puzzling?

When we win, it's usually going to be because our stars were very good, and in most games that's the case.  When they are less than good on occasion, it's not going to be a shock when we lose to a good team. It happens.  Nobody plays well every game.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on December 04, 2017, 11:27:57 pm

The only reason Gafford doesn't start is to tame his aggressiveness...he would have 3 fouls before halftime because the refs seem to view his hyper physicality as over the top and call touch fouls.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

JayHog

Beard always seems to be everyone's favorite whipping boy. But I've not heard much bad talk about Macon...and he is the one I've been most disappointed with in several games.
He wanted to go pro last year. After getting feedback as to his draft status, he wisely decided to come back. But he felt he was good enough to go pro last year. So he came back this year with a chip on his shoulder (supposedly) and looking to prove the scouts wrong.
But he often disappears for long stretches of the game. Sometimes he disappears for a whole game, or for a whole half. Where he basically contributes nothing...no points, no rebounds, no assists. It's like he can't get his shot of a lot times against some of these college players.
But I've got news for him...the defenders on the NBA level are even tougher than what he's seeing now.
So, to me, Macon has been the biggest disappointment in several of these recent games.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: JayHog on December 05, 2017, 01:23:40 am
Beard always seems to be everyone's favorite whipping boy. But I've not heard much bad talk about Macon...and he is the one I've been most disappointed with in several games.
He wanted to go pro last year. After getting feedback as to his draft status, he wisely decided to come back. But he felt he was good enough to go pro last year. So he came back this year with a chip on his shoulder (supposedly) and looking to prove the scouts wrong.
But he often disappears for long stretches of the game. Sometimes he disappears for a whole game, or for a whole half. Where he basically contributes nothing...no points, no rebounds, no assists. It's like he can't get his shot of a lot times against some of these college players.
But I've got news for him...the defenders on the NBA level are even tougher than what he's seeing now.
So, to me, Macon has been the biggest disappointment in several of these recent games.

I'm with you. Daryl Macon has not played any defense this season. It's sometimes 4 against 5 with Macon on defense.

He has the ability to be a good defender. Offensively has game is solid. One of the all time best guards in Razorback history was Clint McDaniel.Daryl was the ability to be that on both ends but he's hasn't committed to both ends.

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 05, 2017, 12:58:43 am
The only reason Gafford doesn't start is to tame his aggressiveness...he would have 3 fouls before halftime because the refs seem to view his hyper physicality as over the top and call touch fouls.

He has too learn. Let the big guy get on the floor and play through it. I'm so frustrated with Thompson play that I'll consider starting Thomas and Bailey. This team has to have effort and energy on defense. It opens up everything because without a true low post scoring presence, the half court offense will struggle.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on December 05, 2017, 12:58:43 am

ha has a habit of reaching after he loses a rebound or turns it over.. stop the reaching after the fact and he'll eliminate half his fouls..

FineAsSwine

You have summed up my feelings on Macon's play to this point. That's why I hope CJ continues to come on and become a reliable contributor. Plus, it would really help to have Garland back.
Hogs up! Covid down!

hawgball40

No man. Daryl has been fine on defense. The problem with Daryl is he is missing people on PNR and PNP. He should make the pass but backs out or drives too often. I seen in the houston game atleast 4 such cases where he missed a wide open team mate by doing this. IMO, we were better early in the year when we had the PNR and PNP with the high ball screens at the top of the key. But i agree to some extent, at times he goes under the screener and the opponent burns us for 3. but other than that i thought macon plays really good on ball defense.

RealHog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 04, 2017, 12:05:41 pm
Beard's role needs to be changed from holding the ball until theirs 6 seconds on the clock to driving in and dishing it to the open man.

Yeah he can be a black hole on offense for sure. Kind of an anti PG.

RealHog

adrio bailey needs to be starting over DT13

Yeah I was surprised to see DT get more run than bailey. Team plays better with baileys energy on the court. And bailey knows he's a 4th and 5th scoring option as opposed to Thomas always trying to prove he a scorer, when he's definitely not.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: RealHog on December 05, 2017, 11:18:53 am
Yeah I was surprised to see DT get more run than bailey. Team plays better with baileys energy on the court. And bailey knows he's a 4th and 5th scoring option as opposed to Thomas always trying to prove he a scorer, when he's definitely not.

Well, Thomas did go 3-6 from the field and I thought he contributed more than Bailey, in that game. Bailey was a bit off against Houston. He did not play with his usual energy around the rim.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Dominicanhog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 05, 2017, 11:40:25 am
Well, Thomas did go 3-6 from the field and I thought he contributed more than Bailey, in that game. Bailey was a bit off against Houston. He did not play with his usual energy around the rim.

9 pts.. 6 boards in 22 minutes.. much better than AB in the Houston.. Look for Mike to start DT and try and get energy off the bench with AB

RealHog

Quote from: FineAsSwine on December 05, 2017, 11:40:25 am

DT can score, he'll just gum up 6 possessions looking for shots and have 2 turnovers on his way to 6 points. For example, AB has 6 turnovers in 8 games, and DT has 7 in 4 games, and bailey has played far more minutes in the season.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: RealHog on December 05, 2017, 11:55:48 am
DT can score, he'll just gum up 6 possessions looking for shots and have 2 turnovers on his way to 6 points. For example, AB has 6 turnovers in 8 games, and DT has 7 in 4 games, and bailey has played far more minutes in the season.

Well, if you look at it like that, DT appears to be a net negative. I think his game will improve, in terms of offensive efficiency, as he continues to play more and knock some of the rust off. We may see that happen in this game tonight even.
Hogs up! Covid down!

lynbug

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 04, 2017, 11:50:37 am
Dude....Anton Beard is the 3rd leading scorer on the team and leads the team in assists.

Also, Adrio Bailey does start over Thomas. Thomas hasn't started a single game this season.

What are you on about?
Part of that is because he keeps the ball at least a third of the time when he's on the floor.  JMO.  OOPS....didn't addreaa his assists.

niels_boar

Quote from: RealHog on December 05, 2017, 11:55:48 am

Thomas didn't turn the ball over much in SEC play last year.  His TO problems are probably a transient thing as he works his way into the season.  None tonight with 2 dimes. His shot is improved, which is a nice development. 

I don't really like having him and Thompson paired together.  They are our two least athletic defenders on the baseline and both do their best work on O from the high post.  Thomas should get shots with Gafford in the low post, and Bailey benefits from the lane being open with Thompson at the high post.

That said, Bailey, Gafford, and Hall formed an awesome defensive unit with Jones and Macon tonight.  Those three on the floor together are part of our best defensive unit.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.