Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So I guess a 9-game conference schedule is forever off the table for the SEC?

Started by NuttinItUp, December 03, 2017, 02:32:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

If you can get two SEC teams into the playoffs by only playing an 8-game conference schedule, what is the incentive to add an extra game?

If anything, I can see the B1G and Pac revisiting their decision and going back to 8-games.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 03, 2017, 02:32:39 pm
If you can get two SEC teams into the playoffs by only playing an 8-game conference schedule, what is the incentive to add an extra game?

If anything, I can see the B1G and Pac revisiting their decision and going back to 8-games.

Going to 8 games and adding FCS schools.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

onebadrubi

Money, cbs would much rather Alabama play UGA or Florida in October or. I've bee than Mercer. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: onebadrubi on December 03, 2017, 02:54:31 pm
Money, cbs would much rather Alabama play UGA or Florida in October or. I've bee than Mercer. 

But if adding another game gives you a worse chance to make the playoffs, that has to be factored in.

The committee is telegraphing what they think is important.

latrops

Don't think the 8 vs. 9 conference game issue had anything to do with who made the playoff.  Precedent was set last year where the one-loss higher ranked team gets in over a 2-loss conference champ.  Ohio State got in last year with the same scheduling.  Just make it really difficult if you lose twice.

onebadrubi

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 03, 2017, 03:29:48 pm
But if adding another game gives you a worse chance to make the playoffs, that has to be factored in.

I know what you are saying, however, don't lose to an unranked team and Ohio st is in.   The committee didn't take it away from them, Ohio st lost it.

Now to the money, the league is ran by money. When sec is staring the end of the current tv contract down, it might not like the numbers and quotes given for the tv services.  Adding a conf game may help

latrops

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 03, 2017, 03:29:48 pm

The committee also penalizes too soft of out of conference scheduling.  Wisconsin got no consideration as a 1 loss team because their schedule was considered relatively weak. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: latrops on December 03, 2017, 03:43:37 pm
The committee also penalizes too soft of out of conference scheduling.  Wisconsin got no consideration as a 1 loss team because their schedule was considered relatively weak. 

Bama played a weak schedule and got in.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 03, 2017, 04:17:20 pm
Bama played a weak schedule and got in.

This is true, but of all the 1 loss teams I believe Alabama was better than Wisconsin 

Wisconsin best win was against Michigan who went 8-4 on the year.  They played 8 teams with 6 and 6 records or worse. 

Alabama best win was against LSU who went 9-3 on the year. They played 5 teams with a 6-6 record or worse and also played a FCS school. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 03, 2017, 05:33:30 pm
This is true, but of all the 1 loss teams I believe Alabama was better than Wisconsin 

Wisconsin best win was against Michigan who went 8-4 on the year.  They played 8 teams with 6 and 6 records or worse. 

Alabama best win was against LSU who went 9-3 on the year. They played 5 teams with a 6-6 record or worse and also played a FCS school. 

If you are just going on 1-loss teams, the best way to only have 1-loss is to play an easier schedule.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 03, 2017, 07:17:48 pm
If you are just going on 1-loss teams, the best way to only have 1-loss is to play an easier schedule.

Yes and Wisconsin played a really easy schedule.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 03, 2017, 07:21:14 pm
Yes and Wisconsin played a really easy schedule.

So did Bama.

Now if Bama beats Clemson in the 1st round, then they totally deserve it.

onebadrubi

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 03, 2017, 08:12:17 pm
So did Bama.

Now if Bama beats Clemson in the 1st round, then they totally deserve it.

It's not bamas fault FSU sucked after bama broke their QB. That being said they still schedule a little weak. But they at least attempted a little tougher schedule. 

Line up them vs Ohio st, the difference is bama one their out of conf and Ohio st didn't.  Ohio st losing to Iowa would be similar to bama losing to ole miss or Arkansas.  In which case bama would not be in

311Hog