Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC, SEC, SEC

Started by WPSALLDAY, December 03, 2017, 11:36:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SooieGeneris

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on December 03, 2017, 11:41:45 am
Wow. OU will destroy UGA.

Really? I don't think so. Blow U will face a real defense for only the 2nd time this season.

I do think they will win because I don't see UGA being able to hold them to a lower point total than they can get to, but no way it will be lopsided.

UGA has athletes all over on both sides of the ball, more so than OU and Smart will have a lot of time to game plan on Defense.

I'll say OU 24-20 or something like that due to Dickson Street Mayfield over a freshman, but they have not seen athletes on D like Georgia's.

I was surprised that 'Bama got in due to SEC fatigue/envy, figured Ohio State would get the nod due to politics and the Little 10 not having an entry otherwise.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Hogarusa

Quote from: Birminghog on December 03, 2017, 11:47:42 am
How cool would it be to have a Bama-Georgia final?

It wouldnt be cool at all. How/why do Arkansas fans continue to root for the SEC enemy? Has not helped us on the field one bit. Do our coaches recruit by saying how cool it is to see our opponents in the final 4?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

longpig

That both got in is no surprise.  Is interesting that they didn't shuffle the rankings so they couldn't meet in the finals. 
Don't be scared, be smart.

longtimeHogfan

Glad to see OSU didn't leap-frog Alabama.  I wanted Wisconsin to lose but OSU and the Big-10 to be skipped over.  Thank you! 
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

longpig

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 03, 2017, 12:59:07 pm
It wouldnt be cool at all. How/why do Arkansas fans continue to root for the SEC enemy? Has not helped us on the field one bit. Do our coaches recruit by saying how cool it is to see our opponents in the final 4?

What's good for the conference is good for Arkansas.

longpig

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on December 03, 2017, 01:01:20 pm
Glad to see OSU didn't leap-frog Alabama.  I wanted Wisconsin to lose but OSU and the Big-10 to be skipped over.  Thank you!

Same here.  OSU needed to blast over ranked Wisconsin to jump Bama.  The committee nailed it.

Hogarusa

Quote from: longpig on December 03, 2017, 01:01:25 pm

There are no facts to support that
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: mjsphd on December 03, 2017, 12:06:30 pm
Bama was the 4th best team.  Still they didn't win their division or even have to play this week.  What is the point of having a conference championship game and conference champion?  If Auburn and Alabama went into their game, both undefeated, and Auburn won, Alabama would likely be in the playoff and Auburn out (assuming they still lost to Georgia).  So you benefit by losing the Iron Bowl and not playing in the Conference championship game.  Just doesn't make sense.

Hasn't this happened before?...and wasn't it Alabama who benefitted? That might have been in the pre-playoff days. Not making your conference championship game and still making the playoffs isn't a bad consolation prize. Playing one less game isn't a bad thing.

And, yes, it is a little strange.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

longpig

Quote from: mjsphd on December 03, 2017, 12:06:30 pm
Bama was the 4th best team.  Still they didn't win their division or even have to play this week.  What is the point of having a conference championship game and conference champion?  If Auburn and Alabama went into their game, both undefeated, and Auburn won, Alabama would likely be in the playoff and Auburn out (assuming they still lost to Georgia).  So you benefit by losing the Iron Bowl and not playing in the Conference championship game.  Just doesn't make sense.

Nothing wrong with it if all conferences are equal, but the Pac12 and BIG were weak this year. 4 best is 4 best.

kuhog

Quote from: longpig on December 03, 2017, 01:01:25 pm

How? Do successful SEC teams share recruits and championships with all other conference teams. I guess I missed where we benefitted from Alabama and Auburn winning their recent National Championships.

longpig

jvanhorn

Quote from: 247Hog on December 03, 2017, 12:25:29 pm
OU is the only team in the 4 without a defense. Guess we'll get to see the theory of D wins championships vs. Just out score your opponent.

Actually that is not true.  They do have a defense.  It may not be a great one, but it is good enough to get the job done considering the offense.  I am sure there will be an upgrade in that department over the next year or two.  First year on the job for this guy, lol.

jvanhorn

It is becoming pretty clear that someday this will have to evolve into an 8 team deal.  No big deal just one more game and lot less controversy..

hawaiianhogster

Some said the SEC is having a down year. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHA IN YOUR FACE!

hawaiianhogster

Could you imagine 4 SEC Teams getting in when the SEC is super strong top to bottom?

Bubba's Bruisers

Committee got it absolutely right.  A bit surprised they had the guts to put Bama in over tOSU.

This looks like the best playoff matchup yet.  Any one of those teams is more than capable of winning it all.  No obvious favorite nor pretender.  All are great.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

LZH

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 03, 2017, 01:05:32 pm
There are no facts to support that

Let the rest of the conference hire a bunch of bozos like BB and watch how fast we wind up with a Conf USA tv contract. Yeah, that should really speed up that NEZ project.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: kuhog on December 03, 2017, 11:43:40 am
Total B.S. Alabama can't win their division, but yet plays in the playoffs. Hope Clemson beats them by 30.

Should have been UCF. All this shows is that G5 has no place at the table. Bad for the sport.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on December 03, 2017, 12:46:10 pm
Why didn't Bama go to the SECT when Aubbie had 2 loses?

Because Alabama lost the head to head and both of them had only 1 loss in conference.  Auburn's other loss was to Clemson. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

1highhog

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on December 03, 2017, 01:42:51 pm
Should have been UCF. All this shows is that G5 has no place at the table. Bad for the sport.

You're joking, right?  Any of the four playoff teams would score 60 on UCF's non-existent defense.  Not a knock on UCF as they had a great year, but the 4 playoff teams are apples and UCF is an orange.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: 1highhog on December 03, 2017, 01:53:36 pm
I'll take that bet.

Yeah, OU might win, but they haven't seen a big boy defense yet.  Another reason defense is so important.  EVERYONE is playing offense.  Just not that hard play offense well.  But if you can also play defense at a high level...UGA and Clemson...you have the advantage.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on December 03, 2017, 02:00:31 pm
You're joking, right?  Any of the four playoff teams would score 60 on UCF's non-existent defense.  Not a knock on UCF as they had a great year, but the 4 playoff teams are apples and UCF is an orange.

And UCF wouldn't look like a video game offense against Bama, Clemson and UGA. 

Temprees

Total B.S. Alabama can't win their division, but yet plays in the playoffs. Hope Clemson beats them by 30.
Did you complain last year when Ohio State got in, after not winning their division (lost to Penn State-the Conference champs)?  Plus Ohio State has 2 losses to Bama's 1.

longpig

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on December 03, 2017, 01:42:51 pm

Top G5s should schedule 2 or 3 home and homes a season with top P5s if they want a place at the table. 

Hoginsavga

Quote from: jchill on December 03, 2017, 12:30:21 pm

It's time to expand the playoffs. Get the 12 best teams to duke it out.

It's fine the way it currently works. The playoff starts with the first kickoff of the season in August or September and ends in January. Keeps the regular season interesting and in suspense until the very end, generally speaking. The NFL has gone overboard with allowing so many teams in the playoffs that the last few weeks in the regular season become exhibition games for many teams.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: longpig on December 03, 2017, 02:13:57 pm
Top G5s should schedule 2 or 3 home and homes a season with top P5s if they want a place at the table. 

Top P5 programs will rarely do that.

It's almost always G5 schools having to go to the P5 school without getting a return game. 

TNRazorbacker

Man I Hate that chant. Just sounds like what losers cheer because its all they got. Theres absolutely nothing to cheer about when your at the suck bottom of this conference.  I could give less a shrat what happens with GA and Bama. Im a Hog fan and I only cheer when Hogs win.

longpig

Quote from: Hoginsavga on December 03, 2017, 02:17:30 pm
It's fine the way it currently works. The playoff starts with the first kickoff of the season in August or September and ends in January. Keeps the regular season interesting and in suspense until the very end, generally speaking. The NFL has gone overboard with allowing so many teams in the playoffs that the last few weeks in the regular season become exhibition games for many teams.

I agree, 14-15 games is a few too many already.

longpig

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 03, 2017, 02:40:45 pm
Top P5 programs will rarely do that.

It's almost always G5 schools having to go to the P5 school without getting a return game.

True, with exceptions.  I'm sure top G5s in recruiting hotbeds could do it if they wanted.  Some have one a year. Most don't consider it for obvious reasons.

TNRazorbacker

Agreed. Sick of Alabama.

Hawgphish

Should we get to the point where we don't want the SEC to do well in playoff and bowls.  How does it help us?

ShadowHawg

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 03, 2017, 11:58:08 am
I hope both SEC teams lose. Their success doesn't help Arkansas in any way, shape, or form. As was pointed out on ESPN moments ago, the Bama effect has destroyed the SEC.

The SEC is destroyed but has 2 of 4 playoff teams?!

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Hawgphish on December 03, 2017, 03:10:46 pm
Should we get to the point where we don't want the SEC to do well in playoff and bowls.  How does it help us?

Doesn't really hurt us either.  It's the same power house team each year so really it wouldn't change anything as far as recruiting goes.