Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The final four if......

Started by Martygit, December 02, 2017, 08:25:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

longpig

Quote from: hogsanity on December 03, 2017, 12:09:19 am
Both Bama and OSU came into today having beaten 3 teams that were ranked when they payed and both had beaten 3 teams that are currently ranked. Bama lost to a team that was ranked 6th when they played and it was on the road. Ohis St lost to Ok on the road AND to a mediocre Iowa.

Mark it down, the committee will say the deciding factor was Ohio State winning their conf, a year after saying that PN sate winning their conf was not the deciding factor when the situation was almost identical. The committee wants OSU in and they will justify it any way they can. I will be shocked if they dont put them 3rd so they do not have to face Clemson.

5th or 6th
Don't be scared, be smart.

LRRandy

Quote from: hogsanity on December 03, 2017, 12:09:19 am
Both Bama and OSU came into today having beaten 3 teams that were ranked when they payed and both had beaten 3 teams that are currently ranked. Bama lost to a team that was ranked 6th when they played and it was on the road. Ohis St lost to Ok on the road AND to a mediocre Iowa.

Mark it down, the committee will say the deciding factor was Ohio State winning their conf, a year after saying that PN sate winning their conf was not the deciding factor when the situation was almost identical. The committee wants OSU in and they will justify it any way they can. I will be shocked if they dont put them 3rd so they do not have to face Clemson.
when the ranking comes out tomorrow Bama will have 2 wins against ranked teams. Their third ranked win lost tonight and will not be ranked. tOhio State will have three wins against ranked teams. 2 in the top ten. Bama's two wins are against teams all ranked lower than all three of tOhio States wins. tOhio State has a conference championship. Bama didn't even win their division so they sat home today. When tOhio State made the playoff last year with one loss and not winning their division they had beaten four teams ranked in the top ten. Bama doesn't have 2 wins against top 20 teams this year. Bama is out.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

This is fun, isn't it.

Hayduke

Alabama has no business in the playoffs. tOSU and Wisconsin are both more qualified. It doesn't matter though, it's OU's year.

HoggyCat

Quote from: orvillesghost on December 02, 2017, 08:34:01 pm
I couldn't put Alabama in, they are not a conference champion and though not their fault, their schedule was quite weak this year.

But I wouldn't have put OSU in last year either.

It's not about conference champions.  It's about the 4 best teams. And if you take out the name & the logo, tOSU wouldn't be top 10. 
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

RazorChuck

Quote from: Hayduke on December 03, 2017, 06:16:59 am
Alabama has no business in the playoffs. tOSU and Wisconsin are both more qualified. It doesn't matter though, it's OU's year.
That is complete nonsense, I don't even like Bama, but there is no chance they would even lose to Iowa on any field, no big ten team should be in the playoff.

Hogimus Prime

Same b.s. every year with tOSU.  They had no business being in last year or this year but they will get it in.

DEVIL DOG HOG

The 4th spot should be one of the following, tOSU, WISCONSIN, AUBURN, USC west.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

hogcards

Quote from: ResIpsaLoquitur on December 02, 2017, 08:25:07 pm
......things stay the way they appear about half way through tonight:

Clemson
Oklahoma
Georgia
Alabama

Right now I have it;

Oklahoma
Alabama
Clemson
Georgia

I actually think the number 5 team is USC. I don't have Ohio st. in the mix at all.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

ChicoHog

I think it comes down to what's more important, good wins or bad losses.   Ohio St has better wins than Bama but also has worse losses than Bama.  I think the last time Bama lost to a mediocre team was Saban's first year there in 2007.  They just don't have those "what the hell" type games because Saban is such a good coach. I can see the committee going either way on this choice.  I think it will be Bama.

Boarcephus

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 03, 2017, 09:10:30 am
I think it comes down to what's more important, good wins or bad losses.   Ohio St has better wins than Bama but also has worse losses than Bama.  I think the last time Bama lost to a mediocre team was Saban's first year there in 2007.  They just don't have those "what the hell" type games because Saban is such a good coach. I can see the committee going either way on this choice.  I think it will be Bama.

I think what it ultimately boils down to is the committee does not want to totally leave out 2 of the Power 5 conferences and that is what will happen if they throw in Alabama.  The Big 10 and Pac 12 will left out and that's not going to happen.  Call it the Affirmative Action of the NCAA where a lesser team is put in over a more qualified team. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

rzrbackrob

The deciding factor for me is
38-0
31-0
The last two scores of the BG1 teams that got in the last two years

The real criteria for selection---
Eye test: Bama
Brand name: tOSU / Bama tie

Schedule strength: tOSU

Conference champs: tOSU
Good is the enemy of great

RazorChuck

tOSU failed the eye test at Iowa
They are out

From Tusk Till Dawn

I don't have alot of faith in the committee after last year.  You could make a case for a few teams.  Heck UCF is undefeated, beat memphis twice, USF, and Navy and Big 10 Maryland (might as well count them cause they padded OSU and Wisconsin's record too).  You could argue they have as good a record as Bama.  I'm for 8 teams. 

Billy Bats

Ohio State has two losses and got 55 hung on them by an unranked opponent in November.  Disqualifying.  Penn State wasn't very good...Michigan wasn't good.  Come on. 

code red

Quote from: HenduHog on December 02, 2017, 09:43:34 pm
Kinda tossup about the 4th spot. 

You have a Bama team that has one loss against a team that has 3 including a blowout in the SECCG, but also has 11-1 record against less than stellar teams

Then there's Wisky who WAS undefeated but is looking mortal against TOSU. And they too have a pretty Milquetoast schedule.

There's Ga with only 1 loss who came back and beat the team who beat them handily, but the SEC East is nothing to brag about.

And TOSU who is beating an admittedly average Wisky team. They however got  beat easily by OU, blown out by Iowa, and really didn't have that much stronger a schedule than Wisky.

Were it my decision I would go with
1-Clemson
2-OU
3- Georgia
4-Auburn  (beat TWO #1 teams.

It's crapshoot for that last spot
Auburn benefited a home game vs a beat up Bama with key defensive starters out.  Bama would not have gotten beat like Auburn did last night. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

fullfan

Quote from: LRRandy on December 03, 2017, 12:38:18 am
when the ranking comes out tomorrow Bama will have 2 wins against ranked teams. Their third ranked win lost tonight and will not be ranked. tOhio State will have three wins against ranked teams. 2 in the top ten. Bama's two wins are against teams all ranked lower than all three of tOhio States wins. tOhio State has a conference championship. Bama didn't even win their division so they sat home today. When tOhio State made the playoff last year with one loss and not winning their division they had beaten four teams ranked in the top ten. Bama doesn't have 2 wins against top 20 teams this year. Bama is out.
Bama doesnt have a huge loss to Iowa on their resume.  Bama Dominated first half of season and ONLY loss to a near playoff team on the road.   I agree they will put OSU in undeservedly.

Inhogswetrust

Bama has one loss and the two you mention have two each..........
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

LRRandy

Quote from: fullfan on December 03, 2017, 09:57:41 am
Bama doesnt have a huge loss to Iowa on their resume.  Bama Dominated first half of season and ONLY loss to a near playoff team on the road.   I agree they will put OSU in undeservedly.
the Iowa loss is what makes it an argument. Bama didn't beat anybody, schedules an FCS school and played a weak schedule. They are out. 
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 03, 2017, 10:00:46 am
Bama has one loss and the two you mention have two each..........
Wisconsin has one loss. They were undefeated when tOhio State beat them last night. With your depth of college football knowledge you are certainly qualified to have a credible take on who is and who is not in the playoff. Sheesh.
This is fun, isn't it.

RazorChuck

Quote from: LRRandy on December 03, 2017, 10:14:47 am
Wisconsin has one loss. They were undefeated when tOhio State beat them last night. With your depth of college football knowledge you are certainly qualified to have a credible take on who is and who is not in the playoff. Sheesh.
Change you handle to tOSURandy, it would fit better.

Piggfoot

The whole situation is a bias against Bama. 
The allowance of the illegal screen play was an example last year. Dropping Alabama out of the top four when they were number 1 is another. It's nothing more than a money system trying to get teams from all over involved, keeping fans and TV markets interested. Money trumps putting the best teams in the mix.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Birminghog on December 03, 2017, 12:19:31 am
And their argument is that Bama did not win their division, lol.

I know.

Last time Bama lost by 31?   And it was loss 2 or more?  This is all about the sec not getting 2 teams.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: Billy Bats on December 03, 2017, 09:26:56 am
Ohio State has two losses and got 55 hung on them by an unranked opponent in November.  Disqualifying.  Penn State wasn't very good...Michigan wasn't good.  Come on. 
Penn St isn't very good?  come on man, get real.  They are a very good team.  Michigan was a better than average team, top 25 team.  Ohio St passes the eye test for sure.  They are among the most talented teams out there and loaded with NFL players.  The problem I have with them is the terrible loss to a mediocre Iowa team and a blowout loss at home to OU.  Bama lost on the road to a very good team.  I give spot #4 to Bama.  To me the the two losses trump the lack of good wins for Bama. 

HiggiePiggy

Wisconsin isn't, but Ohio State has pretty much the same resume.  Wisconsin has 1 win against a 8 and 4 Michigan team as their best win.  They have played 8 teams that have a 6-6 record or worse.  They had the easiest schedule over everyone else that is in the mix. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Birminghog

Quote from: Boarcephus on December 03, 2017, 09:16:02 am
I think what it ultimately boils down to is the committee does not want to totally leave out 2 of the Power 5 conferences and that is what will happen if they throw in Alabama.  The Big 10 and Pac 12 will left out and that's not going to happen.  Call it the Affirmative Action of the NCAA where a lesser team is put in over a more qualified team.

If Ohio State gets in, this is the reason.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Smalltownhog95

I think they got it right. Even Kirk gave them props and said he thought Bama should be in over his Buckeyes.
Wait a minute this isn't chinese checkers.. This isn't even regular checkers!

Birminghog

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on December 03, 2017, 11:42:47 am
I think they got it right. Even Kirk gave them props and said he thought Bama should be in over his Buckeyes.

Yep. Even without a ticket, I would love to take Amtrak to N.O., but the hotel cost would be exorbitant.

RazorChuck

Jesse Palmer= waaaaahhh! waaaaaahhhh! waaaaaaaahhhh!

Martygit

And, once again, I'm correct  :P
RIP OTR, REV

LRRandy

I would have loved for the Buckeyes to be in. I thought their strong wins and conference championship would outweigh the ugly loss to Iowa. In the words of Doc Holiday from the movie Tombstone " I believe the strain was more than he could bare". One loss is less than two. Bama with its weak wins is in. Congrats to all 4 teams.
This is fun, isn't it.

Swine-as-wine

Ya know what..........I believe I've heard the word "resume'", about as much as I've ever heard a single dad gum word my entire life. That
word.......single handedly, evokes political correctness in this pussified world we live in today. To hell with resumes. The 4 best teams are
in the playoffs, and that's what everyone wanted. The 1985 Chicago Bears, would still be one of the best NFL teams ever, if they had of
played in the stinkin' Sunbelt conference. And a resume' is something you take with you to a job interview.........ask Brett Bielema about it.

longpig

Quote from: LRRandy on December 03, 2017, 11:55:13 am
I would have loved for the Buckeyes to be in. I thought their strong wins and conference championship would outweigh the ugly loss to Iowa. In the words of Doc Holiday from the movie Tombstone " I believe the strain was more than he could bare". One loss is less than two. Bama with its weak wins is in. Congrats to all 4 teams.

Love is blind.
Don't be scared, be smart.

Mr Jade

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

Bubba's Bruisers

My reverse psychology worked!!!  I kept claiming tOSU would get in over Bama. 

Committee got it right again.  Kudos.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LRRandy on December 03, 2017, 11:55:13 am

Well said.  But like last year, the committee once again got it right.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15