Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The final four if......

Started by Martygit, December 02, 2017, 08:25:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

kodiakisland

Quote from: Mr Jade on December 02, 2017, 10:07:19 pm
Ohio State played an even weaker schedule than Bama and is a two loss team. I really don't see it being that hard, and by choosing Armpit State over Bama, the committee is setting themselves up for a lot of flak from the media and Bama. Bama is the single largest and most powerful force in NCAA football today, alongside a few other teams like Notre Dame.

Granted, neither have a strong schedule, but O State does have a better win, plus they played for and won a conference championship.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

LRRandy

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 02, 2017, 10:11:44 pm
And it would practically be a reversal of what they did last year when they put tOSU in, who also didn't win their conference and even lost head to head to the conference champ in the regular season.
c'mon, you know better than that. Its  a no brainer if Bama is sitting at home today with one loss and 4 wins against top ten teams. Their schedule was weak this year and it is going to hurt them.
This is fun, isn't it.

kodiakisland

Quote from: LRRandy on December 02, 2017, 10:12:43 pm
do you even watch college football? tOhio State will have 3 wins better than Bama's best win. It's funny that the weakness of the sec west will be what keeps Bama out if tOhio State wins tonight.

Not just the weakness of the West, but FSU being in the tank really hurt them.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

RebelliousHog

It kinda sucks when teams play weak schedules. Especially in a situation like this. That' when playing lower level teams hurts you (Mercer).
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

LRRandy

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 02, 2017, 10:16:04 pm
Not just the weakness of the West, but FSU being in the tank really hurt them.
true. Bama scheduled a tough opener. It just ended up not helping them like they thought it would.
This is fun, isn't it.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: HenduHog on December 02, 2017, 10:14:49 pm
Wisky ain't done yet.

24-19 with an extra  point waiting (field issues).

24-21 now
Wisky with 3 TOs that turned into points including a pick 6 against TOSU
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

LRRandy

Quote from: HenduHog on December 02, 2017, 10:19:14 pm
It kinda sucks when teams play weak schedules. Especially in a situation like this. That' when playing lower level teams hurts you (Mercer).
I think that will be something the committee sends a message on. Schedule fcs cupcakes at your peril.
This is fun, isn't it.

RebelliousHog

Should Wisky pull it out, Bama will the odd man out.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LRRandy on December 02, 2017, 10:15:34 pm
c'mon, you know better than that. Its  a no brainer if Bama is sitting at home today with one loss and 4 wins against top ten teams. Their schedule was weak this year and it is going to hurt them.

Dude, yours wasn't that great either, and you're sitting there with 2 losses.  One really bad.  You lost head to head to last year's conference champs, and you still got in.  You're getting in again this year too, ironically.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

RebelliousHog

Quote from: LRRandy on December 02, 2017, 10:21:13 pm
I think that will be something the committee sends a message on. Schedule fcs cupcakes at your peril.

I agree

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Mr Jade

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 02, 2017, 10:22:08 pm
Dude, yours wasn't that great either, and you're sitting there with 2 losses.  One really bad.  You lost head to head to last year's conference champs, and you still got in.  You're getting in again this year too, ironically.

The loss to Iowa far outweighs Alabama's FCS school.

That being said, if Wisconsin wins, Bama ain't going in
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Mr Jade on December 02, 2017, 10:24:06 pm
The loss to Iowa far outweighs Alabama's FCS school.

That being said, if Wisconsin wins, Bama ain't going in

Bama is very likely out no matter.  The committee isn't going to put 2 SEC teams in.

RebelliousHog

Iowa WAS 7-5. Not like they were Podunk U.  TOSU had 4 turnovers in the game

kp72204

Seems like Wisconsin jus doesn't have the horses to win.

leroyhawg

Quote from: ResIpsaLoquitur on December 02, 2017, 08:25:07 pm
......things stay the way they appear about half way through tonight:

Clemson
Oklahoma
Georgia
Alabama
A top four with out Alabama would be a joke, when you're at the top like Saban a lot of people find a way to dislike you and vote against you.
God Loves a Working man, dont trust Whitey and darn from Shinola. Navin

Navin Johnson

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: kp72204 on December 02, 2017, 10:31:06 pm
Seems like Wisconsin jus doesn't have the horses to win.

It's why the committee took so long to finally put them in the top 4.  They knew Wisky was a product of their schedule.  Like Iowa a couple years ago.

jvanhorn

Well I guess I would put Clemson #1 as a complete team.  The problem is OUs quarterback is the kind that can take over a game and we all saw what happened last year when Clemson had a quarterback like that.  I would be very cautious about making any predictions if they meet.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: jvanhorn on December 02, 2017, 10:39:23 pm
Well I guess I would put Clemson #1 as a complete team.  The problem is OUs quarterback is the kind that can take over a game and we all saw what happened last year when Clemson had a quarterback like that.  I would be very cautious about making any predictions if they meet.

OU hasn't played a defense like Clemson.  It's why they are the best team in the country.  They are the only team who's elite on both sides of the ball.

HiggiePiggy

Well what else hurts Alabama is there biggest win is against a 9-3 LSU win.  As much as the Ohio State loss to Iowa hurts they still have beaten a 10-2 Penn State and now a 12-1 Wisconsin to win the Big 10.  Yes they have 6 teams with 6-6 or worse records, but because of the Mercer game Alabama played it kind of evens it out.  Honestly neither deserve to be in more than Auburn, but they are not going to put a 3 loss team in over Ohio State or Alabama.   
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

RebelliousHog

nwa_razorback_coffee

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Alabama

Birminghog

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: nwa_razorback_coffee on December 02, 2017, 11:02:15 pm
1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Alabama

Undoubtedly the top 4, but I don't trust the committee.

jlhogfan

Screw it, I say put UCF in at 4

HoggyCat

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 02, 2017, 08:28:58 pm
Honestly auburn with 3 losses has a better resume than both Ohio State and Alabama.  Winning against 2 #1 teams.

And hanging with #1 Clemson without their best RB.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

HatfieldHog

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Alabama

This is the 4 team playoff...!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

HoggyCat

Quote from: HenduHog on December 02, 2017, 10:59:47 pm
TOSU int . Wisky out

tOSU got hammered TWICE, and one was a 5 win team. Very undeserving.

Here's a thought.  Take away names and logos. Give each team a letter. tOSU would be N or O after they're reranked.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

LRRandy

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 02, 2017, 11:03:32 pm
Undoubtedly the top 4, but I don't trust the committee.
no, there's very much doubt. Most years you could say that about Bama. This years team is not quite the juggernaut they have been in years past. ( injuries have played a role in that). They don't have the wins needed to put them in the argument to get in. Not this year.
This is fun, isn't it.

kodiakisland

My guess is it will depend on what the committee thinks of Saban.  He's an easy guy to love or hate.  I can see an argument for Bama and O State that could only be settled by a play in game.  My feeling is they go anti Saban and O State is in.  Too bad we don't have a +1 game to settle these things.

LRRandy

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 02, 2017, 11:17:36 pm
tOSU got hammered TWICE, andone was a 5 win team. Very undeserving.

Here's a thought.  Take away names and logos. Give each team a letter. tOSU would be N or O after they're reranked.
what team was that? I must have missed that game.
This is fun, isn't it.

Atlhogfan1

Oh St lost 55-24 for their second loss after losing at home.  No way in hell does that team deserve to be in the playoffs over a 1 loss SECW team and especially not Bama whose only loss was on the road at Auburn. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

longpig

Quote from: LRRandy on December 02, 2017, 10:12:43 pm
do you even watch college football? tOhio State will have 3 wins better than Bama's best win. It's funny that the weakness of the sec west will be what keeps Bama out if tOhio State wins tonight.

West was 1 injured qb away from having 4 teams finish the regular season ranked top 25 this year. 2 top 10.  Tuesday will be a sad day for the Buckeyes.
Don't be scared, be smart.

BroyledNutts

1. Clemson
2. Oklahoma
3. Georgia
4. Alabama

1) Clemson
2) Oklahomo
3) Georgia
4) Ohio State

The play-off system, and the selection committee, were designed by the AD at tOSU for the express purpose of assuring that the SEC did not ever again have two teams playing for the championship ... Notice how OSU has been in it every year since its inception? I will not be surprised if it happens again this year, with Bama being left out ...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 02, 2017, 11:28:39 pm
1) Clemson
2) Oklahomo
3) Georgia
4) Ohio State

The play-off system, and the selection committee, were designed by the AD at tOSU for the express purpose of assuring that the SEC did not ever again have two teams playing for the championship ... Notice how OSU has been in it every year since its inception? I will not be surprised if it happens again this year, with Bama being left out ...

Last year they got in without winning their division.  This year they will get in with two losses with Iowa scoring 55 in one of those losses. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

RebelliousHog

Quote from: HoggyCat on December 02, 2017, 11:17:36 pm
tOSU got hammered TWICE, and one was a 5 win team. Very undeserving.

Iowa was 7-5 not a 5 win team. Not saying that's an improvement aesthetically speaking, but setting the record straight

BroyledNutts

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 02, 2017, 11:31:35 pm
Last year they got in without winning their division.  This year they will get in with two losses with Iowa scoring 55 in one of those losses. 

The play-off system was devised to assure a Big10 rep has a seat at the table every year ... No one in that conference seems to be able to neuter OSU ... so who does that guarantee a seat?

The biggest reason I never liked the play-off system as its currently designed ...

jgphillips3

Quote from: ResIpsaLoquitur on December 02, 2017, 08:25:07 pm
......things stay the way they appear about half way through tonight:

Clemson
Oklahoma
Georgia
Alabama

Since Ohio State has already gotten in controversially twice, only won by 6 points tonight and no two loss team has ever been chosen, seems like we will get Clemson vs. Alabama and Georgia vs. Oklahoma.

longpig

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 02, 2017, 11:28:39 pm
1) Clemson
2) Oklahomo
3) Georgia
4) Ohio State

Ohio St looked horrible tonight. Played just good enough to clear a spot for Bama.

Clemson
Georgia
Oklahoma
Bama

BroyledNutts

Quote from: longpig on December 02, 2017, 11:35:12 pm
Ohio St looked horrible tonight. Played just good enough to clear a spot for Bama.

Clemson
Georgia
Oklahoma
Bama

That's what I'd prefer, but I don't trust the Big10 boot lickers on the selection committee ... this year they'll spout off about "if you wanna be in you have to win your conference" ... yeah, because last year ... oh wait ...

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 02, 2017, 11:34:42 pm
The play-off system was devised to assure a Big10 rep has a seat at the table every year ... No one in that conference seems to be able to neuter OSU ... so who does that guarantee a seat?

The biggest reason I never liked the play-off system as its currently designed ...

I agree.  The anti Bama narrative started weeks ago in case of this scenario. 

longpig

Quote from: BroyledNutts on December 02, 2017, 11:36:58 pm
That's what I'd prefer, but I don't trust the Big10 boot lickers on the selection committee ... this year they'll spout off about "if you wanna be in you have to win your conference" ... yeah, because last year ... oh wait ...

The committee puts the best four in.  Had to be two from one conference eventually.

hogsanity

Yep. Last year it was " total body of work" over Conf champion, this year it will be " conf champ was more important ". Whatever excuse they need to use to shoehorn the big10 team in they will use because they can not stand the thought of 2 sec teams, or of 2 of the p5 leagues being left out.

Ohio st got trucked by IO, and then needed to survive a Wsc team that everyone said was weak, played no one and was overrated.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LRRandy

Quote from: longpig on December 02, 2017, 11:35:12 pm

Clemson
Georgia
Oklahoma
Bama
yeah, especially since Bama challenges themselves by playing Mercer.
This is fun, isn't it.

Mr Jade

Quote from: LRRandy on December 02, 2017, 11:52:20 pm
yeah, especially since Bama challenges themselves by playing Mercer.

Still better than losing to Iowa.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

LRRandy

Quote from: Mr Jade on December 02, 2017, 11:54:58 pm
Still better than losing to Iowa.
we will see tomorrow at noon. I think Bama's weak schedule is held against them.
This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: hogsanity on December 02, 2017, 11:51:02 pm
Yep. Last year it was " total body of work" over Conf champion, this year it will be " conf champ was more important ". Whatever excuse they need to use to shoehorn the big10 team in they will use because they can not stand the thought of 2 sec teams, or of 2 of the p5 leagues being left out.

Ohio st got trucked by IO, and then needed to survive a Wsc team that everyone said was weak, played no one and was overrated.
at least try to be a little objective. If it comes down to the Iowa loss tOhio State is out. If it comes down to who you play and beat Bama is out.

BTW Wisconsin had the number one defense coming into this game and was ranked number 4. 
This is fun, isn't it.

Mr. Prozac

Ohio State lost to unranked 7-5 Iowa, 55-24.

Alabama would likely be favored in a head-to-head matchup.

OSU got a mulligan last year, beating out a team they lost to.

Alabama was already ranked 5th, first team out, and OSU was 8th.

Alabama should get in, but I don't trust they will.

I would think there would be a lot of discontent if OSU (or anybody for that matter) got the benefit of the doubt 2 years in a row.

hogsanity

Quote from: LRRandy on December 03, 2017, 12:01:07 am
at least try to be a little objective. If it comes down to the Iowa loss tOhio State is out. If it comes down to who you play and beat Bama is out.

BTW Wisconsin had the number one defense coming into this game and was ranked number 4. 

Both Bama and OSU came into today having beaten 3 teams that were ranked when they payed and both had beaten 3 teams that are currently ranked. Bama lost to a team that was ranked 6th when they played and it was on the road. Ohis St lost to Ok on the road AND to a mediocre Iowa.

Mark it down, the committee will say the deciding factor was Ohio State winning their conf, a year after saying that PN sate winning their conf was not the deciding factor when the situation was almost identical. The committee wants OSU in and they will justify it any way they can. I will be shocked if they dont put them 3rd so they do not have to face Clemson.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Birminghog

And their argument is that Bama did not win their division, lol.