Martygit

......things stay the way they appear about half way through tonight:

Clemson
Oklahoma
Georgia
Alabama
RIP OTR, REV

Atlhogfan1

Lots of campaigning against Bama and its schedule.  I wouldn't have a 2 loss OH St team who was blown out by Iowa in the conversation but they will be. 

Wisconsin is slow and qb is weak. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawgdavis

Sounds right . These are the best teams I have seen this year.

HiggiePiggy

Honestly auburn with 3 losses has a better resume than both Ohio State and Alabama.  Winning against 2 #1 teams.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

LRRandy

Bama fans bung holes are puckering up with the Auburn blow out and tOhio State up 14 in the second quarter.
This is fun, isn't it.

orvillesghost

The committee always says conference championships count for something. We may find out if that is just air...

Bubba's Bruisers

I just don't see the committee having the balls to put Bama in over tOSU.  My only hope is if they remember that they put tOSU in last season over Penn State who beat tOSU head to head and won the conference championship.

Still think there will be too much pressure to avoid 2 SEC teams in playoff.

Clemson
UGA
OU
tOSU
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: orvillesghost on December 02, 2017, 08:30:38 pm
The committee always says conference championships count for something. We may find out if that is just air...

They put oh st in last year. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: ResIpsaLoquitur on December 02, 2017, 08:25:07 pm
......things stay the way they appear about half way through tonight:

Clemson
Oklahoma
Georgia
Alabama

I agree with the order but if that holds, they risk an all SEC championship game. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: orvillesghost on December 02, 2017, 08:30:38 pm

Who's conference championship are you talking about?

Edit

NM I wasn't paying attention. 

LRRandy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 02, 2017, 08:31:40 pm
They put oh st in last year.
Buckeyes had 4 wins over top ten teams last year. Bama's best win this year is #17 LSU that lost to Troy.
This is fun, isn't it.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on December 02, 2017, 08:32:36 pm
I agree with the order but wonder if that holds, they risk an all SEC championship game. 

The first 3 are pretty much set.  Neither Bama nor tOSU will b better than #4.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

orvillesghost

I couldn't put Alabama in, they are not a conference champion and though not their fault, their schedule was quite weak this year.

But I wouldn't have put OSU in last year either.

rickm1976

No way tOSU should even be considered with 2 losses, especially the one to Iowa.  It just baffles me how they could even be part of the conversation.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: LRRandy on December 02, 2017, 08:33:25 pm
Buckeyes had 4 wins over top ten teams last year. Bama's best win this year is #17 LSU that lost to Troy.

Still showed that the championship game didn't mean anything though. 

discombobulationist

Ohio population 12 million,  Alabama 5 million. Committee will always give Ohio State the benefit
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

LRRandy

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 02, 2017, 08:34:25 pm
Still showed that the championship game didn't mean anything though.
true
This is fun, isn't it.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: orvillesghost on December 02, 2017, 08:34:01 pm
I couldn't put Alabama in, they are not a conference champion and though not their fault, their schedule was quite weak this year.

Just from the eye ball test, which is really what the committee is supposed to do, but we know is usually just lip service, I still think Bama is better than tOSU.  However, last season I think tOSU was better that Penn State even though Penn State beat them and won the championship.  The committee got it right last year IMO.

Martygit

I agree with the order but if that holds, they risk an all SEC championship game.

I know, and I'm guessing that the committee re-sorts the order to prevent that - but that's the way it should shake out based on experience
RIP OTR, REV

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ResIpsaLoquitur on December 02, 2017, 08:41:57 pm
I know, and I'm guessing that the committee re-sorts the order to prevent that - but that's the way it should shake out based on experience

No, they'll re-sort it be putting in tOSU over Bama.  Problem solved.

hoglady

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 02, 2017, 08:30:47 pm
I just don’t see the committee having the balls to put Bama in over tOSU.  My only hope is if they remember that they put tOSU in last season over Penn State who beat tOSU head to head and won the conference championship.

Still think there will be too much pressure to avoid 2 SEC teams in playoff.

Clemson
UGA
OU
tOSU

I think you're right.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Martygit

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 02, 2017, 08:44:19 pm
No, they'll re-sort it be putting in tOSU over Bama.  Problem solved.

Sorry, just don't believe they'll leave Alabama out based on today's games - certainly don't believe tOSU gets in - but, hard to believe, I've been wrong before
RIP OTR, REV

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ResIpsaLoquitur on December 02, 2017, 08:49:41 pm
Sorry, just don't believe they'll leave Alabama out based on today's games - certainly don't believe OSU gets in - but, hard to believe, I've been wrong before

I'm with you.  I think Bama is better, but the committee will play the conference champ card to put tOSU in. 

LRRandy

Quote from: ResIpsaLoquitur on December 02, 2017, 08:49:41 pm
Sorry, just don't believe they'll leave Alabama out based on today's games - certainly don't believe tOSU gets in - but, hard to believe, I've been wrong before
Bama is better against weaker competition. They only played one top team and got dominated. That team that dominated them got blown out today.
This is fun, isn't it.

nwa_razorback_coffee

Martygit

Quote from: LRRandy on December 02, 2017, 08:53:28 pm
Bama is better against weaker competition. They only played one top team and got dominated. That team that dominated them got blown out today.

On any given day..........
RIP OTR, REV

WPSALLDAY

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LRRandy on December 02, 2017, 08:53:28 pm

A tOSU fan should know plenty about being better against weaker competition.

root_hawg

Both Bama aND OSU will be 3-1 vs top 50 teams, OSU conference champ but 1 bad loss, Bama no bad losses

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: root_hawg on December 02, 2017, 09:08:40 pm
Both Bama aND OSU will be 3-1 vs top 50 teams, OSU conference champ but 1 bad loss, Bama no bad losses

I will put a finer point on it.  This will be very simple.  THE reason Bama gets left out is doing so avoids putting 2 SEC teams in.  That's THE deciding factor.

LRRandy

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 02, 2017, 09:05:14 pm
A tOSU fan should know plenty about being better against weaker competition.
lol. Bazinga
This is fun, isn't it.

mweston

Saban vs Smart for the title...that would be a money maker for sure...

jvanhorn

I don't have any particular reason for thinking this but my gut tells me Clemson or OU.

HiggiePiggy

Wisconsin has played 8 teams that are 6 and 6 or worse.  Ohio State has played 6 and Alabama has played 5 and a fcs school. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: jvanhorn on December 02, 2017, 09:31:30 pm
I don't have any particular reason for thinking this but my gut tells me Clemson or OU.

Clemson looks like the best team in country to me.  I'd take them to beat anyone. 

RebelliousHog

Kinda tossup about the 4th spot. 

You have a Bama team that has one loss against a team that has 3 including a blowout in the SECCG, but also has 11-1 record against less than stellar teams

Then there's Wisky who WAS undefeated but is looking mortal against TOSU. And they too have a pretty Milquetoast schedule.

There's Ga with only 1 loss who came back and beat the team who beat them handily, but the SEC East is nothing to brag about.

And TOSU who is beating an admittedly average Wisky team. They however got  beat easily by OU, blown out by Iowa, and really didn't have that much stronger a schedule than Wisky.

Were it my decision I would go with
1-Clemson
2-OU
3- Georgia
4-Auburn  (beat TWO #1 teams.

It's crapshoot for that last spot

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

dibuzop

As long as Ohio State is out, I am good.

They should not be allowed in.

RebelliousHog

And I'll readily admit that with SEC east being awful, it could be argued that TOSU be there rather than Ga.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Mr Jade

Alabama certainly beats out Ohio State in both record and strength of schedule. Georgia is a 1 loss conference champion, and can't be kept out, just like Clemson or OU.

Without showing that the selection committee is in bed with Armpit State, Alabama needs to make it in over them.
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 27, 2017, 08:12:12 pmNORVELL, Baby.

*Please refrain from claimin "Pokey guaranteed Norvell!!!"*

Quote from: GuvHog on October 06, 2019, 07:52:47 pm
The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: HenduHog on December 02, 2017, 09:46:02 pm
And I'll readily admit that with SEC east being awful, it could be argued that TOSU be there rather than Ga.

Well let's look at it.   Wisconsin played 8 teams with a 6 and 6 record or worse. Ohio State player 6, Alabama played 5 and a fcs school and Georgia played 4 and a fcs school.  I would say that Georgias schedule was better than all of them plus they won the SEC against auburn which puts their resume up there above the others in my opinion.  They have no bad losses.

kodiakisland

If Miami or TCU had won today, Alabama would definitely be in.  An O State win will make that decision fairly tough.  Yes, we all know Bama could win it all, but their SOS is poor, plus they didn't play this week.  Gonna be tough for the committee to pick them over O State.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

RebelliousHog

The problem is that you have several schools with less than strong schedules. Bama, TOSU, Wisky, Ga

Rethinking my ranking. I'd have to put a 11-1 Bama in over a 10-3 Aubie.

1-Clemson
2- OU  ( my heart says OU should be 1 cause I think they are the hottest team)
3- Georgia (SECCG)
4- Bama  Thing is if Bama is healthy? A healthy TOSU has a better D than an unhealthy Bama.

Bubba's Bruisers

Clemson is easily the most complete team.  They are elite on both sides of the ball.  They are undoubtedly the #1 seed.  It will be...

Clemson
OU
UGA
tOSU

Committee needs an excuse to avoid 2 SEC teams.  tOSU gives them the excuse with a win tonight.

COCHISE

Quote from: orvillesghost on December 02, 2017, 08:34:01 pm

Not only did Bama not win their conference, they didn't even win their division. OSU doesn't deserve it after the blow-out loss to Iowa but they'll get to he 4th spot IMO.

Mr Jade

Quote from: kodiakisland on December 02, 2017, 09:54:25 pm
If Miami or TCU had won today, Alabama would definitely be in.  An O State win will make that decision fairly tough.  Yes, we all know Bama could win it all, but their SOS is poor, plus they didn't play this week.  Gonna be tough for the committee to pick them over O State.

Ohio State played an even weaker schedule than Bama and is a two loss team. I really don't see it being that hard, and by choosing Armpit State over Bama, the committee is setting themselves up for a lot of flak from the media and Bama. Bama is the single largest and most powerful force in NCAA football today, alongside a few other teams like Notre Dame.

The game against SJS was an abnormality. Even though the players were cautioned not to, they got caught looking past SJS to A&M. They learned a valuable lesson and I don't see them repeating that mistake.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Mr Jade on December 02, 2017, 10:07:19 pm
Ohio State played an even weaker schedule than Bama and is a two loss team. I really don't see it being that hard, and by choosing Armpit State over Bama, the committee is setting themselves up for a lot of flak from the media and Bama. Bama is the single largest and most powerful force in NCAA football today, alongside a few other teams like Notre Dame.

Actually both have a weak schedule. Playing a fcs school hurts Alabama. 

Bubba's Bruisers

And it would practically be a reversal of what they did last year when they put tOSU in, who also didn't win their conference and even lost head to head to the conference champ in the regular season.

LRRandy

do you even watch college football? tOhio State will have 3 wins better than Bama's best win. It's funny that the weakness of the sec west will be what keeps Bama out if tOhio State wins tonight.
This is fun, isn't it.

Mr Jade

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on December 02, 2017, 10:10:35 pm
Actually both have a weak schedule. Playing a fcs school hurts Alabama.

I'm not trying to say that Bama didn't have a weak schedule, but simply that Ohio State's is worse. Bama did play a single FCS school, but Ohio State has played two-opponents more than Bama at worse than 6-6. That might wash out.

Bama is still a 1 loss team and the other is a 2 loss, which at this moment might not even be a conference champ.

Quote from: LRRandy on December 02, 2017, 10:12:43 pm
do you even watch college football? tOhio State will have 3 wins better than Bama's best win. It's funny that the weakness of the sec west will be what keeps Bama out if tOhio State wins tonight.

I don't know what you mean. Do you mean Armpit State scored more points on opponents than Bama?  Much like an older show, Who's Line is it Anyway, the points don't matter.

RebelliousHog

Wisky ain't done yet.

24-19 with an extra  point waiting (field issues).