Crap Happens

Started by jimmur74, December 02, 2017, 08:08:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmur74

Move on to the next game

3kgthog

Um, I think they already have.

HoGs1031

Yes loses happen but getting embarrassed when you start 4 seniors shouldn't happen. This isn't UNC.

oldbooniehog

Crap will happen frequently this season.

TNhawgfan

The crap you're referring to is the way we played tonight
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Razorod

We do need to be careful how many non-conference games we drop. The SEC is not going to be a cake walk.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

factchecker

I'm going to take tonight as a sign that our football program is going to be better.  Usually we can't have good football and basketball news the same day.  Tonight's god awful game is a sign that we will hire a good coach..... right?

Let's reset and rally around the team.  Winning streak starts next week.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

BannerMountainMan

Raise your hand if your first post of the season  on Jump ball is tonight.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Razorod on December 02, 2017, 08:13:30 pm
We do need to be careful how many non-conference games we drop. The SEC is not going to be a cake walk.

Very true. Really need to beat Minnesota to offset this performance.
Hogs up! Covid down!

bkjbearcat

Maybe MA should be worried once the new AD comes in. Another quick exit from the tournament. And yet again another swing and a miss on a 5*player and the new AD might think Arkansas could do better.

But I forgot, if we get rid of MA, players like Reggie Perry might not come...wait...never mind.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

batmanfan

This crap happens to often. At least once or twice every year in non conf play.
Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: batmanfan on December 02, 2017, 10:32:36 pm
This crap happens to often. At least once or twice every year in non conf play.
pretty sure that happens to 90% of teams 😂 Even UNC looked horrible against MSU even though MSU is really good
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

HognitiveDissonance

I'm not surprised Houston played great and shot the lights out.
This was their game of the year.
It would have been ok to compete and lose something like 80-70 to a hot-shooting team who was jacked up to play. I personally wouldn't have thought anything about it, I kinda expected Houston to win.
But you have to be competitive. 91-65 is unacceptable.
Fans have a right to be upset at games like Minn and Ok St last year, and Houston this year. You have to show up and compete.
These occasional games where Ark is a complete no-show is unacceptable and have to be eliminated.
It doesn't do any good to steamroll UCONN by 35(which I never expected) only to get embarrassed by 26 to Houston(which I never expected)
The inconsistency drives people crazy and is understandable. Even if things bounce back and 'all is well' later these are kind of games that stick in your craw because you can't shake the thought 'what the heck happened that night?'
Just give a good accounting for yourselves each game. If the Hogs had done that, they may have lost this game, but there is no chance in Hades they would have lost by 26.

hulk hog

Quote from: BannerMountainMan on December 02, 2017, 10:40:09 pm
pretty sure that happens to 90% of teams 😂 Even UNC looked horrible against MSU even though MSU is really good
MSU is a final four contender.  We are talking about Houston and this ain't Phi Slamma Jamma. But unfortunately this doesn't surprise me because this is normal for Mikes teams on the road in the non-conference
paid for by the NHO... the NewHogOrder.....

BadHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 02, 2017, 11:00:56 pm
It would have been ok to compete and lose something like 80-70 to a hot-shooting team who was jacked up to play. I personally wouldn't have thought anything about it, I kinda expected Houston to win.
Fans have a right to be upset at games like Minn and Ok St last year, and Houston this year. You have to show up and compete.
These occasional games where Ark is a complete no-show is unacceptable and have to be eliminated.
It doesn't do any good to steamroll UCONN by 35(which I never expected) only to get embarrassed by 26 to Houston(which I never expected)
The inconsistency drives people crazy and is understandable. Even if things bounce back and 'all is well' later these are kind of games that stick in your craw because you can't shake the thought 'what the heck happened that night?'
Just give a good accounting for yourselves each game. If the Hogs had done that, they may have lost this game, but there is no chance in Hades they would have lost by 26.

Agree.
They have had a week to prepare. Slow sloppy unfocused.
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

Smithian

Quote from: jimmur74 on December 02, 2017, 08:08:05 pm
Move on to the next game
Correct. Some times whippings happen.

My outlook on this team hasn't changed because one bad game. They'll regroup and be fine.

WorfHog

Trolls need to go back to MMQB. If you don't like Mike and you don't want to watch this team then please show yourself the door. It's moron's like you that make our fanbase look bad.

In basketball especially EVERY team is different. The dynamic has changed. This team may have 6 seniors,but it's a much different team than the teams CMA has built in the past.

So all this talk of trends is complete nonsense. Last night was likely an aberration for our season. Houston was red hot and we were cold and looked slow. Come March, Houston's win over us might help put them into the dance. It was huge for them.

I really wish this forum was run more like Extra Innings and less like MMQB. The moderation, knowledge and community over there is excellent. Jump Ball turns to agenda driven trash as soon as football wraps up. Personally believe that has more to do with CMA's race than the the actual basketball.

Albert Swinestein

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on December 02, 2017, 11:00:56 pm

Why would Arkansas be Houston's "game of the year" as you state above?  Bigger than their games against Wichita State (Top 10 team and in their conference)?  Bigger than their game against Cincinnati (Top 25)?

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Albert Swinestein on December 03, 2017, 10:37:43 am
Why would Arkansas be Houston's "game of the year" as you state above?  Bigger than their games against Wichita State (Top 10 team and in their conference)?  Bigger than their game against Cincinnati (Top 25)?
Tradition. History of all the SWC games. Sampson has coached against Ark before at OU. Went 4-0 I think.
Devin Davis's own words said that. He was pumped to play this game.
I'm sure Davis was ready personally, but Sampson I'm sure had this game circled as a key game for the entire Houston season, but particular the non-conf portion. They needed this non-conf win come March, most likely.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: BadHog on December 03, 2017, 12:00:44 am
Agree.
They have had a week to prepare. Slow sloppy unfocused.
The best analogy is last year's football season.
I don't like to compare sports often, but since Bielema is no longer here, I will.
Auburn humiliated Arkansas 56-3. This is a game many pundits predicted Arkansas to win, so it was a fairly even matchup on paper.
The VERY NEXT game Arkansas embarrassed Florida 31-14.
Some would say, Auburn was an aberration, a blip on the radar, let it go, you smashed Florida so all is 'even' and all is right again.

Well, yes and no.
It was great to bounce back strong against Florida.
But it doesn't change the fact that the Auburn game NEVER should have happened. No excuse for 56-3. You didn't lose a road game to Auburn, you got smashed 56-3. Totally different. It points out a flaw, something is missing in the coaching and preparation, to allow a game like that to happen.
And it's something that will rear its head again.

Same thing here.
In a game where you're actually the better team (I think Ark wins a seven-game series vs Houston), there is no excuse to get beat by 26.
And there is no excuse to go up to Minnesota and get embarrassed, or go to Ok St and get humiliated. It points out a flaw somewhere...something is missing.
Even if you turn around and beat a good Minn team next Saturday, it doesn't erase the stain altogether.
Because deep down you know something is not quite right to have a game like the one last night.

SPAL

And just like that, our season is over. /S