• 388,958 Topics
• 22,018 Hogvillians
THE RULES (Read 'em!)
Quick Links
Pick'Ems:Football      Basketball      Baseball
Sister Sites:Gridiron HistoryFearless Friday
Listen NOW:Game ON 103.3 

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Running around with Vertigo....  (Read 5621 times)

porkrindjimmy

• All-American Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
Running around with Vertigo....
« on: November 30, 2017, 01:28:28 am »

Lordy, Lordy....I am off here for a few hours and all hell breaks loose. Everybody needs to remain calm....PorkRind James is here.

All this harkens me back to younger days. I was a small feller and was having trouble with a neighborhood bully and we squared off in my front yard. My daddy was in the garage, door up and was blasting some fine country and Western music...as I began to Bob and weave, I heard Porter Wagoner tell Dolly there was nothing left to hold on to....and that hurt me, Porter and Dolly struggling like that. Took the fight right out of me. I walked in the garage and daddy told me to lace my gloves up tight and get back in the fight. That was the day I began to not take sh*t from a soul...and PorkRind Jimmy was born.

Gus still has not told us no. I will say it again, he has not turned down the job. And funny thing is, all the talk of him signing a contract extension is only coming from this side of the Mississippi...This side. I talked to Aubby folks today and it was news to them that an extension had been offered. So....HE HAS NOT SAID NO AND HE HASNT SIGNED AN EXTENSION.

Now on to Chad Morris. We apparently went crazy in Dallas yesterday and interviewed a few people... Chad Morris was one of them. According to people in the room, he did a fine job. He was not offered the job. He wasn't. Calm down.

Norvell....Mike Norvell's name is conspicuously missing from all the job openings in college football. You have to think it is because maybe he has a deal with Arkansas if Gus falls through or maybe there is something to the rumors that we're circulating this weekend.

So....I still believe and being told that it is Gus, Mike and KIFFIN...

What everybody needs to realize is this hire has to be an exciting hire...exciting like folks flying in for the spring game excitement...and this is pure common sense...who is going to put butts in the seats? Gus? Mike? Lane? Or Chad Morris? Venables? Charlie?

You don't fire Jeff Long and Bret Bielema to bring in his clone from TT and a career DC. You just don't. They realize they have to knock this hire out of the park or they will never be taken seriously again.

PRJ
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 02:19:54 am by porkrindjimmy »

JONAS

• Hall of Fame Hogvillian
Re: Running around with Vertigo....
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 01:34:10 am »

Lordy, Lordy....I am off here for a few hours and all hell breaks loose. Everybody needs to remain calm....PorkRind James is here.

All this harkens me back to younger days. I was a small feller and was having trouble with a neighborhood bully and we squared off in my front yard. My daddy was in the garage, door up and was blasting some fine country and Western music...as I began to Bob and weave, I heard Porter Wagoner tell Dolly there was nothing left to hold on to....and that hurt me, Porter and Dolly struggling like that. Took the fight right out of me. I walked in the garage and daddy told me to lace my gloves up tight and get back in the fight. That was the day I began to not take sh*t from a soul...and PorkRind Jimmy was born.

Gus still has not told us no. I will say it again, he has not turned down the job. And funny thing is, all the talk of him signing a contract extension is only coming from this side of the Mississippi...This side. I talked to Aubby folks today and it was news to them that an extension had been offered. So....HE HAS NOT SAID NO AND HE HASNT SIGNED AN EXTENSION.

Now on to Chad Morris. We apparently went crazy in Dallas yesterday and interviewed a few people... Chad Morris was one of them. According to people in the room, he did a fine job. He was not offered the job. He wasn't. Calm down.

Norvell....Mike Norvell's name is conspicuously missing from all the job openings in college football. You have to think it is because maybe he has a deal with Arkansas if Gus falls through or maybe there is something to the rumors that we're circulating this weekend.

So....I still believe and being told that it is Gus, Mike and Kiffin.

What everybody needs to realize is this hire has to be an exciting hire...exciting like folks flying in for the spring game excitement...and this is pure common sense...who is going to put butts in the seats? Gus? Mike? Lane? Or Chad Morris? Venables? Charlie?

You don't fire Jeff Long and Bret Bielema to bring in his clone from TT and a career DC. You just don't. They realize they have to knock this hire out of the park or they will never be taken seriously again.

PRJ

I sure hope you are right.

Sponsored Ad

Hogville encourages you to do business with the following...

porkrindjimmy

• Hogville.net
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 01:51:25 am »

I sure hope you are right.

Just chill.

No reason for everyone to be freaking out.

PRJ

Cartoon Man

• Hogville.net
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 02:16:43 am »

Thumbs up Pork.  Thanks for input.

Kevin

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Trust in the Lord with all your heart
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 02:24:20 am »

If you want excitement. Somebody the media would flock around then it is kiffin

BatesvilleHOG

• Hogvillian
  • Woo Pig Sooie and Go Southerners!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 02:29:09 am »

Gus loses this weekend and there will be an awful lot of smoke behind his name. Still can't get it out of my gut that he won't leave Auburn because of the current situation/extension on the board.

I'm stoked if Kiffen.
I'm fine with Norvell.

Just please to God don't 'Tennessee' it and leave us with Chad Morris. He's a great coach but NOT what Arkansas needs right now.

mike_the_geek

• Band Nerd
  • Future Razorback in the making!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 02:34:18 am »

Thanks PRJ - I stepped back from the ledge, for now, and will rest a bit easier....  all this "Chad Morris is our next coach done deal" talk has been hard to accept.  He hasn't just lit it up at SMU in recruiting or W/L record, and even one guest interviewed on Bo's show Wednesday said we absolutely no way should take Morris, that it would not be a good hire and we could do better.  Let's hope you're right and we do get Gus or Norvell or Kiffin, any of those would be a major upgrade. Or Leach even though his name isn't on your list.  Kiffin does make me a bit nervous b/c of how he did at Tenner and USC, but he probably is better HC material now than he was those years ago, due to Saban influence.

welchog

• Hogvillian
  • Gloryland
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 03:14:20 am »

This "knock it out of the park" hire is a very short list.

Patreno/Bhrom = grand slam

Kiffin = HR

Norvell/Venables = triple

Anyone else = whiff

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Surfing the web at Hogville.net
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 03:42:50 am »

PRJ
I'm trying to understand the ones down on Venables because he's a career DC, and isn't exciting. So let me ask you a question... Which has been a bigger problem for our program the last 5 years? Offense or defense? I'll be glad to give you the answer, but you should know it. Which is why I'm going all in for Venables. Our defense, our special teams need to be fixed if we are going to compete for titles. Gus figured that much out at Auburn. Why can't Arkansas fans? Instead they want exciting entertainment.

My suggestion... Go see an arena league game, or go to the circus. Entertain yourself to your heart's content. We are talking about an SEC program here. Not arena league.

The real Hogules

• My Hogs are bad ass!
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 04:29:49 am »

I'm trying to understand the ones down on Venables because he's a career DC, and isn't exciting. So let me ask you a question... Which has been a bigger problem for our program the last 5 years? Offense or defense? I'll be glad to give you the answer, but you should know it. Which is why I'm going all in for Venables. Our defense, our special teams need to be fixed if we are going to compete for titles. Gus figured that much out at Auburn. Why can't Arkansas fans? Instead they want exciting entertainment.

My suggestion... Go see an arena league game, or go to the circus. Entertain yourself to your heart's content. We are talking about an SEC program here. Not arena league.
Bielema was a defensive coach, so the head coaches "speciality" doesn't impress me at all, I want to know that he can handle BOTH sides of the ball AND special teams as well.

rzrbk4life

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 04:53:19 am »

I don't care if he is an offensive coach or defensive coach, just win baby

TheDoctor

• Band Nerd
  • Hog bow ties are cool.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 04:56:17 am »

This "knock it out of the park" hire is a very short list.

Patreno/Bhrom = grand slam

Kiffin = HR

Norvell/Venables = triple

Anyone else = whiff

Do you mean “Petrino”?

Or “Brohm”?

I swear some of you inbreds can’t even spell “spell check”.

No one will take anything you say seriously if it looks like you’re drooling on your keyboard. 

Come on.

casken

• We LEOs have no sense of humor that we're aware of
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 04:57:38 am »

PRJ

I sure hope you are correct!

CattleCorn

• Varsity
  • I wanna give you something you've never had before
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 05:33:35 am »

I WANT TO BELIEVE

RexMentor

• Varsity
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 05:37:53 am »

Good one PRJ. Problem is there's no news coming out -- nothing official. So, rumor and speculation fill the information vacuum. Kids trying to guess the presents by measuring the boxes under the tree.
Another thought: As bad as this looks, it would make a GREAT TV series. As The Hog Turns; All My Good Ole Boys; General Disarray; Julie Knows Best; etc.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 06:06:33 am by RexMentor »

FANONTHEHILL

• Go Hogs!
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 06:01:27 am »

Bielema was a defensive coach, so the head coaches "speciality" doesn't impress me at all, I want to know that he can handle BOTH sides of the ball AND special teams as well.

Bielema’s background was defense before he became a head coach.  At Wisconsin and Arkansas he filled the role of CEO coach.  It is a double edged sword. You’re either a CEO that is blamed for everything or a hands on Coordinator HC (ie Nutt & Petrino) who takes one side of the ball and relies on a coordinator on the other.  The reason I like Venables is because he would likely run the defense while HC. 

Personally I’d be more than happy with Malzahn, Norvell, Venables, or Kiffin.  Morris is still a question mark for me, but all of these would likely coordinate one side of the ball and I like that.

Bacons Rebellion

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 06:05:24 am »

PRJ, that was the same basic conclusions I've been coming to. I have zero connections. I felt myself getting swept up in the Morris panic last night.

The circumstances just do not allow a Chad Morris type hire. The official powers may not know who will win here, but they understand the need for optics. Morris does not give any optics -- quite the opposite -- and there are too many holes in the Morris resume. There's a hole in Venables' too, the HC emptiness you mentioned, even though a lot of us could who watch more football than we should can see past it and waive the objection for his case.

The logical progression is 1. Malzahn - > 2a. Norvell ->  2b. Kiffin.

Norvell or Kiffin is really a matter of personal preference and that's where folks could fight it out. The university itself could easily not want the Kiffin personality baggage, so I suspect that could put him third.

I think your point about the absence of Norvell from any other discussions (except turning down an SEC rivals' offer) is an excellent one. He should be in those. One could make the same point about Kiffin, also.

parallaxpig

• Senior
  • Man that ball got outta here in a hurry.
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 07:10:09 am »

PRJ

Interesting comment about Norvell. No rumors of him connected to any particular job. I'm still hoping he is coming here.

nwahogs

• Hogvillian
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 07:16:30 am »

PRJ
So you have connections inside the u of a and au. Damn, you’re connected. How about the schools of the other coaches we’re considering?

Redhogs

• Time to cruise.
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 07:17:47 am »

Gus loses this weekend and there will be an awful lot of smoke behind his name. Still can't get it out of my gut that he won't leave Auburn because of the current situation/extension on the board.

I'm stoked if Kiffen.
I'm fine with Norvell.

Just please to God don't 'Tennessee' it and leave us with Chad Morris. He's a great coach but NOT what Arkansas needs right now.
yep..x10,000

lumphog

• I love this picture
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 07:23:48 am »

Just chill.

No reason for everyone to be freaking out.

PRJ
There are 2 men I trust.... Jesus & PRJ

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 07:33:16 am »

PRJ

I agree with you about Norvell and Kiffin but you need to let the Gus thing go. Gus isn't leaving Auburn.

woodrow hog call

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 07:47:41 am »

There are 2 men I trust.... Jesus & PRJ

"Jesus and prj always loved me, even when the devil took control"

I think that can work.

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 08:12:16 am »

Bielema’s background was defense before he became a head coach.  At Wisconsin and Arkansas he filled the role of CEO coach.  It is a double edged sword. You’re either a CEO that is blamed for everything or a hands on Coordinator HC (ie Nutt & Petrino) who takes one side of the ball and relies on a coordinator on the other.  The reason I like Venables is because he would likely run the defense while HC. 

Personally I’d be more than happy with Malzahn, Norvell, Venables, or Kiffin.  Morris is still a question mark for me, but all of these would likely coordinate one side of the ball and I like that.

I agree with this, especially the four names you gave.  Morris would be a huge anti-climax, a buzz kill.  For a program that has had no buzz at all other than hopes for a new coach to fix things, that's something we can't afford to have happen.

Drop the Mike

• Varsity
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 08:19:27 am »

I totally agree that Morris makes zero sense. The big money who answered the call when asked if they would be willing to help fund the BB buyout are not going to be ok with replacing him with a 14-22 coach that has a horrible defense and will make many fans turn away.

Follow the money. They want excitement to return to razorback football, and you certainly won't get that with Morris.

welchog

• Hogvillian
  • Gloryland
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 08:21:50 am »

Do you mean “Petrino”?

Or “Brohm”?

I swear some of you inbreds can’t even spell “spell check”.

No one will take anything you say seriously if it looks like you’re drooling on your keyboard. 

Come on.

Lighten up doc.  3 in the morning during a nightly bathroom break on my phone.

Sheesh.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Roastin da bomb in Fayettenam.
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 08:21:59 am »

PRJ
solid post this

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 08:24:08 am »

Thanks PRJ - I stepped back from the ledge, for now, and will rest a bit easier....  all this "Chad Morris is our next coach done deal" talk has been hard to accept.  He hasn't just lit it up at SMU in recruiting or W/L record, and even one guest interviewed on Bo's show Wednesday said we absolutely no way should take Morris, that it would not be a good hire and we could do better.  Let's hope you're right and we do get Gus or Norvell or Kiffin, any of those would be a major upgrade. Or Leach even though his name isn't on your list.  Kiffin does make me a bit nervous b/c of how he did at Tenner and USC, but he probably is better HC material now than he was those years ago, due to Saban influence.
mike_the_geek bringing a better take than most.

HF#1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 08:24:48 am »

PRJ

I keep hearing that Norvell can't keep it in his pants and that is why he has dropped off everyone's radar. Could be completely false but 3 or 4 people from different fanbases have said this. Or he could be our next coach, who knows.

We have interviewed Morris twice have we not?

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 08:26:46 am »

out of all the coordinators, he's #1. He's a great defensive mind, especially in the modern era, the BEST. And a great recruiter.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2017, 08:28:12 am »

couldnt agree more.

USChog

• Bench Warmer
  • what, me worry?
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2017, 08:29:34 am »

People fear the unknown PRJ. We need to learn to be comfortable being uncomfortable

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2017, 08:32:23 am »

Interesting comment about Norvell. No rumors of him connected to any particular job. I'm still hoping he is coming here.
actually, there are TONS of rumors, going back to early October surrounding Norville to ARKANSAS. Then he was mentioned for tennessee and Florida. Then there was the article telling florida he would only look at Arkansas leaked out by Sexton. He has been connected to us a bunch of times- have a look at the memphis boards or even a quick google search will confirm this.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2017, 08:33:43 am »

I keep hearing that Norvell can't keep it in his pants and that is why he has dropped off everyone's radar. Could be completely false but 3 or 4 people from different fanbases have said this. Or he could be our next coach, who knows.

he boned some cheerleaders at Tulsa. Then he got married and there arent any fresh rumors about it since. It better be a non-factor.

EastexHawg

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Hogville.net
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2017, 08:33:45 am »

Well we certainly don't want a young heterosexual male with testosterone pumping through his system.  Are there any eunuchs out there we can hire?

HF#1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2017, 08:34:58 am »

he boned some cheerleaders at Tulsa. Then he got married and there arent any fresh rumors about it since. It better be a non-factor.

Understandable.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2017, 08:35:01 am »

Well we certainly don't want a young heterosexual male with testosterone pumping through his system.  Are there any eunuchs out there we can hire?
my vote is on a gender neutral coach.  8)

HF#1

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2017, 08:35:09 am »

I didn't say it was right or wrong.

GuvHog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Proud Hog Supporter!!!
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2017, 08:35:44 am »

It supposedly happened back in his college days when he was single. It's not uncommon and no big deal. Just crap being spread by Ole Miss and Memphis trying to keep him from getting hired.

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2017, 08:35:56 am »

Understandable.
right? who wouldnt have. maybe he just wanted to close the deal with Maria. She quit her managers job in conway and headed to tulsa and married him lol.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

• One tusk over the line sweet Jesus...
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2017, 08:37:26 am »

Razorbackers

• Good Takes Found Here
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2017, 08:37:40 am »

You do if you fired everybody and had all your chickens in a Gus basket, and when it fell through there wasn't a single backup plan.

Hope you're right, though.

Dwight_K_Shrute

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Follow @fakewallyhall.
    • Missing your favorite thread?  It's probably in Vents and Rumors
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2017, 08:43:19 am »

I guess the best way to look at this is like one of the more memorable games in Razorback history say the 7 OT thriller against OM.

For me it was really just another game in regulation, but once it got to OT it was a freaking emotional roller coaster.  I was on the floor.  I was praying.  I was hiding in the bathroom.  I was pleading with the TV.  I had family members call to check on me.  It was exhausting but in the end we had an instant classic and the Hogs came out on top.  This has very much that same feel to it.  Let's hope the results are the same.

goodguytex

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2017, 08:46:16 am »

Saban was a defensive coach before becoming a HC. How's he been doing? Kirby Smart was a career DC before becoming a HC. He doing ok for you? It's a monumental mistake to make conclusions based on a whole completely different person that had a career in a whole completely different conference at a whole completely different school.

That's like saying jack Crowe was a failure as an OC turned HC at Arkansas, so we should never hire any current or former OCs to be our HC. Including malzahn, including Norvell.

3kgthog

• Gold Hogvillian
  • Don't PM me. I never read them.
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2017, 08:59:02 am »

Saban was a defensive coach before becoming a HC. How's he been doing? Kirby Smart was a career DC before becoming a HC. He doing ok for you? It's a monumental mistake to make conclusions based on a whole completely different person that had a career in a whole completely different conference at a whole completely different school.

That's like saying jack Crowe was a failure as an OC turned HC at Arkansas, so we should never hire any current or former OCs to be our HC. Including malzahn, including Norvell.

Saban ran two SEC programs with more talent in-state in one season than Arkansas has in-state in five seasons. The same goes for Smart at UGA.

Horrible comparison. We aren't getting that kind of talent here.

Großer Kriegschwein

• Married way....way...way....up.
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2017, 09:02:26 am »

my vote is on a gender neutral coach.  8)

This

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2017, 09:05:36 am »

I guess the best way to look at this is like one of the more memorable games in Razorback history say the 7 OT thriller against OM.

For me it was really just another game in regulation, but once it got to OT it was a freaking emotional roller coaster.  I was on the floor.  I was praying.  I was hiding in the bathroom.  I was pleading with the TV.  I had family members call to check on me.  It was exhausting but in the end we had an instant classic and the Hogs came out on top.  This has very much that same feel to it.  Let's hope the results are the same.
good analogy. ill never forget that game. i touched every inch of my house that day.

duckman

• Gold Hogvillian
  • outkicked my coverage
    • Shari Bales and Southbound
« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2017, 09:05:43 am »

If anyone paid attention to attendance at the games this year I ask you this.  Does the next hire need to put butts in the seats?  Which hires do that?  Does Morris fall into that category? 

farmhawg

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2017, 09:06:42 am »

good analogy. ill never forget that game. i touched every inch of my house that day.
Creepy.....😁

Pig in the Pokey

• Gold Hogvillian
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2017, 09:06:46 am »

If anyone paid attention to attendance at the games this year I ask you this.  Does the next hire need to put butts in the seats?  Which hires do that?  Does Morris fall into that category?
no he does not. he does however fall into the smokescreen category very nicely.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

KARK
KWNA
Fox 16 Arkansas