Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Aub and GA prove defense is still the key to winning

Started by hogsanity, November 25, 2017, 09:26:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Wants2Win

Ham Ham Pigelow

Unlikely Arkansas will ever be able to recruit pros on defense like those two programs.

urkillnmesmalls

Bama showed it too, but they just had too many injuries and people not on the field tonight.  If they had their usual LB corps, it would have been a closer game. 

UGA is built on defense and running the ball, but it didn't work too well against Auburn on the first go around when they couldn't run it at all. 

With how quickly KS has succeeded at UGA, it does sort of shine a brighter light on Venables as a reasonable choice should some other options fall through.  No HC experience, but neither did Smart. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

RebelliousHog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 25, 2017, 09:35:18 pm
Bama showed it too, but they just had too many injuries and people not on the field tonight.  If they had their usual LB corps, it would have been a closer game. 

UGA is built on defense and running the ball, but it didn't work too well against Auburn on the first go around when they couldn't run it at all. 

With how quickly KS has succeeded at UGA, it does sort of shine a brighter light on Venables as a reasonable choice should some other options fall through.  No HC experience, but neither did Smart. 

Agree about Venables.
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on November 25, 2017, 09:34:50 pm
Unlikely Arkansas will ever be able to recruit pros on defense like those two programs.

We've historically had Pro talent...and even CBB sent quite a few to the Pros.  The issue is that we can't get enough talent across the board, so our weaknesses are exploited.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Oliver

Quote from: hogsanity on November 25, 2017, 09:26:56 pm
Defense, at the end of the day is still king.

Both would/will get smoked by Oklahoma who has close to zero defense

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ShadowHawg

You people are thick between the ears.

You can't take average recruits and just come up with an Auburn type defense.

If your plan is to win with defense at Arkansas, then you are either just plain dumb or lack theory of mind.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 25, 2017, 09:38:22 pm
We've historically had Pro talent...and even CBB sent quite a few to the Pros.  The issue is that we can't get enough talent across the board, so our weaknesses are exploited.     

And that will be the fate of whoever gets hired next too.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Laughing Hog

Shhhh.......... don't you know, you can't mention that kinda stuff on here. Ya know, words like good defense, speed, 5 stars, 4 stars...............
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

elksnort

jm

Everybody can score; it is the teams that can get some stops that win most consistently

mutt

it does not matter what type offense you have if you can not stop anyone you loose every time.look at this year and past ten years of Arkansas defense.

Hoggie17

Wasn't CBB a defensive coach? It didn't win any games for him.

cardinalandwhite

You have to be able to compete in all three phases to win, and to do that you need athletes. Sure, coaching and player development matter, but if the last ten years have proven ANYTHING, it's that we can only go so far without proper recruiting. We won't see a rise in recruiting overnight, but someone has to build a recruiting machine here to win it all. Of course coaching and development aren't optional, but you have to have the athletes to coach and develop from the beginning, or you're an occasional threat to upset people.
"Wise people think all they say; fools say all they think." - Anonymous

RaisinHog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on November 25, 2017, 09:35:18 pm

U serious Clark ?? Kirby took over a 10 win team that richt left him ? Hell I could win 10 games at Georgia

Ham Ham Pigelow

And that's why we require a coach that can outscore people and get timely stops. Really the only way to mitigate talent mismatches in CFB.

hogsanity

Quote from: Ham Ham Pigelow on November 25, 2017, 10:27:18 pm
And that's why we require a coach that can outscore people and get timely stops. Really the only way to mitigate talent mismatches in CFB.

Biggest myth among Hog fans is that a lack of talent can be overcome by scheme. In the SEC that will be proven false game after game after game.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 25, 2017, 10:09:50 pm
Wasn't CBB a defensive coach? It didn't win any games for him.

What he did was employ a defense that tried to minimize our lack of talent.  Bend but don't break, and hope for mistakes from the other team.  It's not productive to take shots at players, but let's just say we need better players and leave it at that.  There's not a coach in America that could have made this defense strong. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: RaisinHog on November 25, 2017, 10:13:17 pm

U serious Clark ?? Kirby took over a 10 win team that richt left him ? Hell I could win 10 games at Georgia

Yeah, I'm serious.  And no, you wouldn't win any games at UGA.  ;)

I guarantee you coaches can take over a successful team and fail, and he's seen no drop off.  The point is, a major school took a chance on a coach with no HC experience, and so far...so good.  Us hiring Venables wouldn't be such a bad idea. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogsanity on November 25, 2017, 11:16:52 pm
Biggest myth among Hog fans is that a lack of talent can be overcome by scheme. In the SEC that will be proven false game after game after game.

I think we have fans who still think CBP took a "rag tag" bunch of players and "coached them up."  He had more NFL caliber talent on the 2010 and 2011 teams, many from in state, than we've ever had...and it was at the skill positions, which played right into CBP's hands. 

I loved watching Mallet throw the ball, and I think our 2010 team was actually better than the 2011 team.  BUT...put a mobile QB in place of Mallet, like a Russell Wilson, and we likely win the NC.  I'm dead serious.  We had TOO many talented weapons for any defenses to contend with, minus Bama.  Add a threat to run at QB...and we would have been unstoppable.  We were a better team than OSU, and CBP actually screwed that game up by abandoning the run late when they couldn't stop Davis inside of 10 yards.  But...I digress. 

Point is...just what you said.  You can't "out scheme" superior talent in the SEC.  Doesn't work.  Sunbelt...absolutely, because the defenders don't have the talent to play with the offenses, but that's a different playing field.  When the defenders are as fast or faster than your best offensive players...good luck with your "schemes." 

jm

Quote from: ShadowHawg on November 25, 2017, 09:42:17 pm
You people are thick between the ears.

You can't take average recruits and just come up with an Auburn type defense.

If your plan is to win with defense at Arkansas, then you are either just plain dumb or lack theory of mind.

So, you think we can take average talent and score over 50 a game? You are absolutely nuts. If we are ever going to win a conference championship, we will have to field a defense that holds opponents in the 20s. There is no way we average scoring in the 50s against the teams we face in conference.