Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kopps out with Tommy John

Started by ricepig, October 10, 2017, 02:59:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkRyan

navyhog24

Sucks for the kid, but with all of the new faces at Pitcher, I think this is one position we can afford an injury. At least it was early on and not during the season. Hopefully, he comes back even stronger.

Scott7703

Not good. Kid was good last year and I expected him to take another step forward this season.

onebadrubi

F A w k!!!!!  I liked him last year and he really helped us out of some jams

ucahogfan

Quote from: Scott7703 on October 10, 2017, 08:43:39 pm
Not good. Kid was good last year and I expected him to take another step forward this season.
Yeah, it hurts to lose him as a top guy out of the pen.  Hopefully Kole Ramage can step up and fill his role a little bit this year as a guy who is more of a change of pace with good off speed as compared to a person who is going to throw it by you.

Bogey Golf

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on October 13, 2017, 10:41:56 pm
Another Wes Johnson tommy john injury

He hurt his arm attempting to get a runner out and made an off balance throw.  This is a really unfair post.

hawgrunner

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: Bogey Golf on October 14, 2017, 10:04:59 am
He hurt his arm attempting to get a runner out and made an off balance throw.  This is a really unfair post.

Unfair or not, I've never seen so many TJ injuries associated with one pitching coach. And it's not even close. 6-7 his only year at Mississippi St. What is that now in 1 year here, 3-4?
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

PorkRyan

Quote from: Bogey Golf on October 14, 2017, 10:04:59 am

I'm not blaming anyone but you don't go from a healthy UCL to a torn UCL in one throw. It's a long process where the UCL is frayed and stretched.

Waldron_Hog

I maintain that a lot of damage is done in the players youth. Specialization and curveball being thrown at an early age.

PorkRyan

Quote from: Waldron_Hog on October 15, 2017, 10:36:53 am
I maintain that a lot of damage is done in the players youth. Specialization and curveball being thrown at an early age.

No one knows what causes it. Dominican players play year round and their numbers were inline with other demographics.  I read an article that said the UCL just wasn't made to handle the stress of 90+ mph fastballs.  Wes Johnson, Dr Andrews and others have shown that the valgus stress on the UCL is higher on fastballs than curveballs. 

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRyan

While I think O'Leary is correct on that particular subject, most of his stuff has been proven to be garbage.  Driveline has disproven most of his theories. 

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRyan on October 15, 2017, 07:18:51 pm
While I think O'Leary is correct on that particular subject, most of his stuff has been proven to be garbage.  Driveline has disproven most of his theories. 

Yeah, suppose to show the "cobra" to second base, but not by twisting your wrist.