Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LSU is stacked at QB for a while

Started by Sao Ming, June 01, 2006, 03:58:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sao Ming

DMN reports Brenham (TX) quarterback Jarrett Lee, considered the No. 2-ranked quarterback in the state (Mallett), said he has committed to LSU.  I hate LSU.

NATEHOGG216

doesn't everyone?  I think even LSwho players hate Lsu
Quote from: 3kgthog on August 27, 2013, 09:15:10 AM
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

LA HAWG

LSU actually has a good program that is well-run.  This makes good players want to play for you.

NATEHOGG216

Why would a top notch player want to play for a program that cares more about winning than holding on to the $$$$$$$$$$?   That doesn't make any sense
Just because the Crash Test Dummies were good at hitting a brick wall didn't mean they were good drivers.

TulsaHogFan

Didn't one of their QB's just leave to transfer to Miss State?

Sao Ming

Don't know about a transfer but on that note I am just now reading something about Perrilloux wanting out and inquiring about Grambling.  (from Tigerbait).  he could do better than Grambling...or can he not hack college life, grades, being behind Russell etc.  Hmm.  What a punk he is. 

NATEHOGG216

Wasnt the Per kid the one who said, " Im gonna start as a freshman, watchout

Sao Ming

He was, annd the DA refused to play behind Vince at UT.  Thought he could mosey into BR and start from day one.  He must be a poor teammate according to some comments I've read today.

hoggin das

LSU has the best college football program in the history of high school.   ;)

bald hog

QuoteDMN reports Brenham (TX) quarterback Jarrett Lee, considered the No. 2-ranked quarterback in the state (Mallet), said he has committed to LSU.  I hate   LSU.

Mallet committed to Michigan, not LSU.

ShellHog

Quote from: LA HAWG on June 01, 2006, 04:08:46 pm
LSU actually has a good program that is well-run.  This makes good players want to play for you.

Winning and Losing runs in cycles at LSU.....like MOST other programs.   They sure had issues in the late 90's.  Plus...I can't think of one good reason to want to play Les MILES.

LSU is on the Decline...it may be a couple of years, but its coming.

bald hog

Did you mean Mallet was #1.Not that he committed to LSU. sorry, my bad.

HBTHogs

Quote from: bald hog on June 01, 2006, 04:49:07 pm
QuoteDMN reports Brenham (TX) quarterback Jarrett Lee, considered the No. 2-ranked quarterback in the state (Mallet), said he has committed to LSU.  I hate   LSU.

Mallet committed to Michigan, not LSU.

That's why he said Jarrett Lee committed to LSU.  He was merely stating that Mallett is the no. 1 QB in Texas.

I did hear that Perrilloux transfered to Miss. St.

Oklahawg

LSU will take a dip with Saban gone. Its not fair for anyone (fan or foe) to expect Les Miles to be another Saban. No one is another Saban; Saban is one of a special breed (Johnson, Switzer, etc.) who is magic.

And, its not that Miles isn't Saban...he's a long way from being Saban. Give him 5 years and he'll make HDN look good.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

wincrimson

What a dumbass. Why go to a school that is loaded with QBs?

pbjones81

thats why #1 ranked Ryan Perrilloux of the '05 class is transferring if he hasnt already...

tophawg19

yep he ran his mouth and couldn't back it up .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

The Pulse

If i was a QB recruit, i wouldn't think it would be a smart idea to commit before the season. I'd wait and see which players from last year didn't pan out and who will be most needing a QB next season. Then Again, If i was a QB recruit, I might still pick Arkansas even if i had to be behind Mustain just because i love the team so much. He just might be a really big Tiger fan.

Sao Ming

Franchione must be doing a horrible job at ATM - Brenham is next door and to lose out on a home-grown like that has to be disappointing for thier fans.  Lessons to be learned there.

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: Sao Ming on June 01, 2006, 04:31:11 pmHe was, annd the DA refused to play behind Vince at UT.

I'd refuse to play behind a retard, too.

GuvHog

LSU Stacked? Who is the #2 QB, and how much PT did
he have last year?
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

94 Hawg

this is great news, he can finish his degree @ LSU and transfer to Arkansas after MM leaves for his post grad. studies ;D
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

Oklahawg

Is there a Booty on campus. No, guys, not a Dickson Street Tavern booty, but a Josh or John David Booty? Isn't he a QB?? Maybe that's USC I'm thinking of....

LSU thought they had Robert Lane, got Perriloux late, lost Lane to Ole Miss, and now have lost Perriloux. If there's a position that gets crowded (ask Fla State, Miami, Tennessee and OU, to name a few recently) its QB.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Sao Ming

GUVHOG,  Matt Flynn should be number two.  Don't have his stats and I'm not going out to get them tonight but he played and could step in at anytime.  They have a  kid who transferred in from ND, a JR.  They will start Russell, shirt Lee and kick RP to the curb. 

Going back in time, remember when the Tig's razzed the hell out of the SEC at large for picking up RP as thier number one 5 star?  My how that kid has fallen.

big boes

the rumor about perilloux isn't true yet (at least it wasn't last week).  he's stated pubclicly that he will remain at lsu.

GuvHog

Russell didn't exactly Light it up against the Hogs Last year,
and the Hogs Defense will be Much better this year.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: Oklahawg on June 01, 2006, 04:55:56 pm
LSU will take a dip with Saban gone. Its not fair for anyone (fan or foe) to expect Les Miles to be another Saban. No one is another Saban; Saban is one of a special breed (Johnson, Switzer, etc.) who is magic.

And, its not that Miles isn't Saban...he's a long way from being Saban. Give him 5 years and he'll make HDN look good.

Very much expected from you, I would expect nothing less.

Quote from: pbjones81 on June 01, 2006, 06:07:37 pm
thats why #1 ranked Ryan Perrilloux of the '05 class is transferring if he hasnt already...

There was absolutely no truth to the rumors that RP was considering transferring. He will be at LSU in the fall.

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 01, 2006, 10:07:54 pm
he have last year?

I guess you didn't get an opportunity to watch the Peach Bowl where #2 Matt Flynn started and played the entire game in a 40-3 rout of Top Ten Miami. The Hurricanes also happened to have a Top 5 Nationally ranked defense before we played them.

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 02, 2006, 04:53:04 am

Put down our QB's all you want, but Russell is 14-2 (.875 winning %)as a starting QB. He was #3 in the SEC in passing efficiency last year behind only Shockley and Leak and ahead of Jay Cutler, a number one NFL draft choice. Russell has led LSU to five 4th quarter come from behind wins showing poise and great leadership qualities. You guys would think MM was the 2nd coming if he put up wins and stats like Russell has at LSU.

pseudorabies

Quote from: Tammany Tom on June 02, 2006, 08:41:06 am
Quote from: Oklahawg on June 01, 2006, 04:55:56 pm

Very much expected from you, I would expect nothing less.

Quote from: pbjones81 on June 01, 2006, 06:07:37 pm

There was absolutely no truth to the rumors that RP was considering transferring. He will be at LSU in the fall.

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 01, 2006, 10:07:54 pm
he have last year?

I guess you didn't get an opportunity to watch the Peach Bowl where #2 Matt Flynn started and played the entire game in a 40-3 rout of Top Ten Miami. The Hurricanes also happened to have a Top 5 Nationally ranked defense before we played them.

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 02, 2006, 04:53:04 am

Put down our QB's all you want, but Russell is 14-2 (.875 winning %)as a starting QB. He was #3 in the SEC in passing efficiency last year behind only Shockley and Leak and ahead of Jay Cutler, a number one NFL draft choice. Russell has led LSU to five 4th quarter come from behind wins showing poise and great leadership qualities. You guys would think MM was the 2nd coming if he put up wins and stats like Russell has at LSU.

You need to start getting used to disappointment.  You are about to find out what it is like to have a Houston Nutt for a coach.  The only diffrence is your fan base will not be stupid enough to keep him around for 9 years but I hope they do.

EastexHawg

LSU's backup QB is Matt Flynn, a blue chipper from Tyler (Robert E. Lee), Texas.  If you watched the Peach Bowl, you know who he is.  He was 13 of 22, with two TD passes and no interceptions, in a 40-3 ROUT OF MIAMI.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=253640099&confId=null

Not bad for a QB's first start, huh? 

The battle for the starting QB job between Flynn and Russell should be interesting, although as far as I know Russell is still considered the clear starter.

Ryan Perrilloux was a 5-star who was rated the #2 QB in the nation coming out of high school.  He had offers from virtually everyone, including LSU, Miami, Florida State, and Texas.  As a senior, he passed for 30 TDs and ran for 37.  Between his junior and senior seasons, he accounted for 120 TOUCHDOWNS. 

The kid accounted for over 5,000 YARDS of total offense in his senior season alone, and almost 13,000 for his career.

The fact that he is #3 on the LSU depth chart should tell us something about the level of talent LSU has stockpiled.

werehog

If Jamarcus Russell falters the least bit at QB you can bet that Matt Flynn will be under center in an eye-blink. After Flynn's eye-popping performance against Miami, many observers felt he should have been the QB all season. Russell has severe mobility issues, he is as agile as a pregnant Water Buffalo and that is giving him the benefit of the doubt. LSU is loaded at QB and our poking fun at them sounds like envy mixed with sour grapes.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: pseudorabies on June 02, 2006, 08:48:52 am
You need to start getting used to disappointment.  You are about to find out what it is like to have a Houston Nutt for a coach.  The only diffrence is your fan base will not be stupid enough to keep him around for 9 years but I hope they do.

All last summer every single SEC fan base sang the very same song and verse you are concerning Miles. As with any first or second year coach at their current school there are question marks. All I can do at this point is judge him based on two things: His first year record and how well has he recruited since he came to LSU.

Well, he was 11-2 and finished ranked #5 in the Nation for his first year. Didn't win the SEC, which was very disappointing, but displayed great leadership qualities in holding the team together through an unbelievably difficult year after Hurricane Katrina. If you had any idea of the magnitude of issues that he had to deal with to keep the team focused and together then you would agree that he was simply superb in his first year.

Now to recruiting. His first class, he was late getting into the game, because Saban didn't announce he was leaving until Christmas Day. LSU only had 16 scholarships to give out and Miles came away with an outstanding class that was third in avg. stars per player only to USC and Florida State. Last year he signed every kid in LA he went after signing 12 of the top 14 players in the state. For the second year in a row he signed the top defensive lineman out of the state of Florida. He has done a great job recruiting out of Texas since he came coach and LSU finished the year with the 7th Nationally rated recruiting class last year. This year LSU has already got the commitment from the 2nd rated QB out of Texas so he has shown no signs of letting up on his ability to recruit well.

So far he has done an admirable job at LSU. We will all have to wait for the future to unfold, but based on what I've seen so far he is in good postition to succeed.

pseudorabies

Quote from: Tammany Tom on June 02, 2006, 09:33:01 am
Quote from: pseudorabies on June 02, 2006, 08:48:52 am

All last summer every single SEC fan base sang the very same song and verse you are concerning Miles. As with any first or second year coach at their current school there are question marks. All I can do at this point is judge him based on two things: His first year record and how well has he recruited since he came to LSU.

Well, he was 11-2 and finished ranked #5 in the Nation for his first year. Didn't win the SEC, which was very disappointing, but displayed great leadership qualities in holding the team together through an unbelievably difficult year after Hurricane Katrina. If you had any idea of the magnitude of issues that he had to deal with to keep the team focused and together then you would agree that he was simply superb in his first year.

Now to recruiting. His first class, he was late getting into the game, because Saban didn't announce he was leaving until Christmas Day. LSU only had 16 scholarships to give out and Miles came away with an outstanding class that was third in avg. stars per player only to USC and Florida State. Last year he signed every kid in LA he went after signing 12 of the top 14 players in the state. For the second year in a row he signed the top defensive lineman out of the state of Florida. He has done a great job recruiting out of Texas since he came coach and LSU finished the year with the 7th Nationally rated recruiting class last year. This year LSU has already got the commitment from the 2nd rated QB out of Texas so he has shown no signs of letting up on his ability to recruit well.

So far he has done an admirable job at LSU. We will all have to wait for the future to unfold, but based on what I've seen so far he is in good postition to succeed.

Sounds a lot like Nutts first year.  Best of luck to you.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: pseudorabies on June 02, 2006, 09:34:27 am

Nutt went 9-3 and lost to Michigan in his bowl game . Miles went 11-2 and blew out Top Ten ranked Miami in his bowl game and finished ranked #5.

How did Nutt do in recruiting in his first two years?    That is where you will find the most striking differences between the two.

GuvHog

I must admit, I highly enjoyed watching LSU Destroy Miami.
Miami was OVERATED. Thanks to LSU for prooving it.
Sorry, I forgot about Flynn.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 02, 2006, 09:50:49 am
I must admit, I highly enjoyed watching LSU Destroy Miami.
Miami was OVERATED. Thanks to LSU for prooving it.
Sorry, I forgot about Flynn.

Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed the game. I went and it was even more lopsided in person than on TV. Our lines completely dominated theirs. The Miami players were so frustrated by being completely physically whipped that they simply gave up in the 3rd quarter.

I will agree that Miami wasn't the same Miami as in 2001 & 2002, but if you watched them completely manhandle Virginia Tech in Blacksburg then you know that they had talent and were a pretty good team.

pseudorabies

Quote from: Tammany Tom on June 02, 2006, 09:46:40 am
Quote from: pseudorabies on June 02, 2006, 09:34:27 am

Nutt went 9-3 and lost to Michigan in his bowl game . Miles went 11-2 and blew out Top Ten ranked Miami in his bowl game and finished ranked #5.

How did Nutt do in recruiting in his first two years?    That is where you will find the most striking differences between the two.

I was not being exact by compairing the number of wins but that he did better than all of the critics thought he would do.  Stop being so defensive, I am just having some fun with you.  In that first year, we had won the first 8 games straight going into the Tenn game.  Arkansas had the NC beat until "the fumble" happened and our defense folded like an accordion.  After that the wind went out of the sails and they lost the next 2 of 3 games (only win in those 3 games was against LSU 41-14).

Not wanting to start a debate over this.  Like I said, best of luck to you.  I hope Miles gets 9 years to prove me right.

GuvHog

Actually I Think the Whole ACC was overrated last year.
Some tried to say the ACC was better than the SEC,
But that was a bunch of bull.

pseudorabies

Quote from: GUVHOG on June 02, 2006, 10:03:56 am
Actually I Think the Whole ACC was overrated last year.
Some tried to say the ACC was better than the SEC,
But that was a bunch of bull.

Yes, Miami was way overrated.

BattleHawg

Tammany Tom

Quote from: pseudorabies on June 02, 2006, 09:59:19 am
I was not being exact by compairing the number of wins but that he did better than all of the critics thought he would do.  Stop being so defensive, I am just having some fun with you.  In that first year, we had won the first 8 games straight going into the Tenn game.  Arkansas had the NC beat until "the fumble" happened and our defense folded like an accordion.  After that the wind went out of the sails and they lost the next 2 of 3 games (only win in those 3 games was against LSU 41-14).

Not wanting to start a debate over this.  Like I said, best of luck to you.  I hope Miles gets 9 years to prove me right.

It's hard not to be too defensive with all the fans on here that just hate LSU and will try to find anything to put us down. You seem like a very nice guy and I appreciate your message.

I remember Nutt's first year at Arkansas very well. You guys started out very well and should have beat Tennesseee at Knoxville. Arkansas dominated that game and just made too many stupid mistakes at the end to lose it.

It does take some time to determine if a coach will do well and Miles still has some proving to do. BTW, I am not one of the opponent's fans that underestimates what Malzahn can do for you. I think that he will be a great addition to your staff. I always remember that Jimmy Johnson started off coaching HS football down here at Picayune, MS, which is pretty close to where I live.

GuvHog

Just so you'll no Tammany, When LSU plays outside of the SEC
This Hog wears a tiger hat!

LSUFan

Quote from: Tammany Tom on June 02, 2006, 10:13:10 am
Quote from: pseudorabies on June 02, 2006, 09:59:19 am

You seem like a very nice guy and I appreciate your message.

Don't let him fool ya, he likes guns ALOT!

Tammany Tom

They just keep rolling in...............

Since you guys started this thread on us being loaded at QB, I thought I would pass on to you that we just picked up another big-time out of state commitment today. Jordan Hammond, TE, from Lakeland, Florida. He selected LSU over Florida, Ohio State, Auburn, Alabama, and Tennessee.

pseudorabies

Quote from: Tammany Tom on June 02, 2006, 03:51:01 pm
They just keep rolling in...............

Since you guys started this thread on us being loaded at QB, I thought I would pass on to you that we just picked up another big-time out of state commitment today. Jordan Hammond, TE, from Lakeland, Florida. He selected LSU over Florida, Ohio State, Auburn, Alabama, and Tennessee.

Good for you guys.  You are going to need all the talent you can get to offset your head coach.

Tammany Tom

Quote from: pseudorabies on June 02, 2006, 03:54:56 pm
Good for you guys.  You are going to need all the talent you can get to offset your head coach.

It's all about talent. If the coach doesn't work out, he can be fired quickly. It takes a long time to build up great depth if you don't have it and have to start from scratch.

Nutts and Bolts

The bottom line is this...LSU MIGHT be stacked at QB for the next 5 years yes... But, Arkansas is Stacked HIGHER at QB for possibly the next 4 years with Mitch... I like Arkansas option better... Go Mitch... THAT is the bottom line...
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

Sao Ming

Point taken about Mitch.  I would like to see some depth behind him - target and land some top tier boys to come in, learn from MM and take over down the line.  That is the whole point with this thread in it's simplest form.  LSU is stacked at QB...don't you want us to be going into, say, 2010?  I know you do, it's just a longterm mental challenge to contimplate really.

Tammany Tom

June 02, 2006, 05:28:45 pm #47 Last Edit: June 02, 2006, 05:30:31 pm by Tammany Tom
Quote from: Nutts and Bolts on June 02, 2006, 04:33:41 pm
The bottom line is this...LSU MIGHT be stacked at QB for the next 5 years yes... But, Arkansas is Stacked HIGHER at QB for possibly the next 4 years with Mitch... I like Arkansas option better... Go Mitch... THAT is the bottom line...

How can you possibly say that you are stacked higher?

We have a 4 star, Parade All-American starting that is currently 14-2 as a starter. We have a 4 star, Texas Top 50 QB that helped us beat Miami 40-3 as a 2nd string QB. We have a 5 star and the 2004 USA Today Offensive Player of the Year as our 3rd string QB. We just received a commitment from Texas' 2nd rated QB for the 2007 class.

You have a QB in Robert Johnson that most of your fan base has all but given up on. You have Casey Dick that looks like he has some good potential, but hasn't really proven anything yet and has yet to beat a Top flight team starting as QB. You have Mitch Mustain coming in and he was the USA Today Offensive Player of the Year and a 5 star prospect.

RP and Mitch are a push right now since neither has played one down of college football and have proven nothing yet at this level of play. We have two JR QB's that HAVE proven that they can beat top rated teams. So where do you come away with the notion that you are stacked higher? Just wondering..............

Nutts and Bolts

Simple, you have NO 5 star QB's.. And if those other 4 stars you have are of any quality, do you think they will stay as back ups at LSU. Not on your life.  They will transfer.. check out the history of LSU....
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

Tammany Tom

Quote from: Nutts and Bolts on June 02, 2006, 05:46:47 pm
Simple, you have NO 5 star QB's.. And if those other 4 stars you have are of any quality, do you think they will stay as back ups at LSU. Not on your life.  They will transfer.. check out the history of LSU....

I don't want to be a smart aleck, but can you read? RP was the 2004 USA Today Offensive Player of the Year just as Mitch was the 2005 USA Today Offensive Player of the Year and Yes, both were 5 Star QB's.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?SID=880&Year=2005&ra_key=817

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/2004-12-22-top-prep-players-coach_x.htm

Also, if Flynn (Our other 4 star QB beside JaMarcus) was going to transfer, don't you think he would have done so last winter before Spring football started?