Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The "MEMPHIS SUCKS" Thread

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, March 13, 2006, 12:31:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porquemada

Memphis killed Martin Luther King Jr.

fatman423

Seriously guys, come on.  It's not like we're talking about playing UCLA in '74 or playing against Duke, N. Carolina, or any other team worth getting all worked up over.  Some of you sound as if we have something to porve to Memphis State.  This is Memphis Freakin' State.  What you've got to realize is that they are never going to have as good a shot at winning a national championship as they have this year (which they won't do).  This isn't some great team with a rich tradition.  They have been to TWO Final Fours.  This makes us look like ASUJ wanting to play us.

Sure they play in a nice arena.  They are borrowing it from an NBA team.  They can't even build a decent arena of their own to play in.  We're not the little kid getting invited to play with the older kids.  The only reason they think they are a national program is because we sit around and bitch about Calipari not wanting to play us.  Sure they've got a great team, but it's not like the whole country sits around and think, "Boy, that Memphis State, they've sure got a powerhouse program down there!"  I liken them to the guy who wins the lottery, then runs around flashing his money everywhere, telling people how rich he is.  However, because he's such a dumbass, two years later, he's dead broke.

We don't need to beat them for everyone to know who we are and what we've done.  They do.  They last time they made it to the Final Four, they did it with bought players, and went down for it.  At the end of the day, if we lose, we've still got a national championship and six Final Fours; they don't.  If we beat them but don't win the national championship, we'll say, "That was a good run, but I would have liked to have won it all."  If they beat us, but don't win it all, they'll say, "Hell yeah!  We beat Arkansas!"

First things first, though.  We've still got to get there.  GO HOGS!  BEAT BUCKNELL!

MtownTiger

#1 seed > #8 seed, we sure have alot to prove considering we're a top 5 team, I don't see much media talking about Arkansas winning the tournament.  We don't have to fall back on success that current team members can't even remember and that noone outside of a select group of fans cares about.  Can't build a decent facility?  Remember the Pyramid was built with the Tigers as sole tenants.   

MtownTiger

Quote from: fatman423 on March 14, 2006, 11:51:28 pm
they'll say, "Hell yeah!  We beat Arkansas!"

You give yourselves way too much credit.  We've outgrown the rivalry that used to exist between us.

fatman423

Quote from: MtownTiger on March 15, 2006, 12:00:34 am

You give yourselves way too much credit.  We've outgrown the rivalry that used to exist between us.
And you're over here because...?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: MtownTiger on March 15, 2006, 12:00:34 am

You can't even pack the Grizzlies house, you haven't outgrown shiite!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Big Papa Satan

Quote from: MtownTiger on March 14, 2006, 11:58:28 pmRemember the Pyramid was built with the Tigers as sole tenants.

And sold it out how often?  Not much.

Tiger High is a crooked darn team in a cesspool of a town.  I'm looking forward to hearing that asshat Lapedes bitch after Arkansas sends them to the house.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: MtownTiger on March 14, 2006, 11:58:28 pm
Can't build a decent facility?  Remember the Pyramid was built with the Tigers as sole tenants.   

Yeah right.  Only because the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame said, "screw you Memphis, we're not going into that dump on your sand bar!"
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

lunchbox72703

Quote from: pbjones81 on March 13, 2006, 07:31:56 pm
by the way, here is your tiger board....have fun, but have class.

http://www.ncaabbs.com/forums/memphis/phpbb/index.php?sid=9d81252d0b8a3b8f7563c7b19a8709b4

hmmm, change the colors and logos, and that board is damn close to the hogville opening forum page.

Table Rocker

F$#@ Memphis State, F#$#@ C-USA, Beale Street's cool, F#$@ Calamari, I'm out.

-borrowed from Half Baked

go hogues

It was hilarious last year when Memphis lost in the C-USA tournament from that one free throw.  I don't know if anybody remembers that but I was loving it.
In an unrelated note, the Pyramid has no atmosphere, Mid South Coliseum is Barton Coliseum without the Aesbestos and the FedExForum is an NBA arena first and foremost that just so happens to let Memphis High play there. I really don't know why I'm participating in the "Our arena is better than yours" fight but hey, it's late.....go hogs.   
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

GrizzledHogFan

Quote from: MtownTiger on March 14, 2006, 11:18:49 pm
Quote from: HoopHog on March 14, 2006, 07:28:51 am
Quote from: MtownTiger on March 13, 2006, 11:21:57 pm
Quote from: 94 Hawg on March 13, 2006, 11:15:35 pm
I lived in eastern Arkansas in the early 90's when the PIG-a-mid was being built. Listened to a lot of their sports call in shows. I distinctly remember memfuss fans complaining about that new arena being built ALL THE WAY across town, saying it was too far to drive, etc...   Memphis is nothing but a mish-mash of various SEC fans that support the local team on off days or when they happen to have a good season. a few years later BWA rose on the hill and the PIG-a-mid wasn't so shiny anymore.

Yea we would love to give up the FedExForum-- the NICEST college basketball venue in the country, for Bud Walton Arena.  Our facilities are a huge recruitment tool.  We win games- we go celebrate on the arena's doorstep at Beale Street.  You win games, you hit up aisle 19 of Wal-Mart for the post-game celebration.
Well stated, gmb_79.

Yes, your arena is a huge recruitment tool, yet it can not recruit enough fans for a single game to be a sell out. Hmmmmmmmmm  The FedEx forum will never make the "toughest home court" top 10 like Bud Walton Arena has, so keep living that dream and eat more jelly do-nuts, wannabee!

Genius post.  Our team this year consists mostly of underclassmen, which the new forum undoubtably helped draw to Memphis.  Add to that the top 15 class that's coming in next year and you have the start of a dynasty.  We had at least 2 sellouts this year too, and many more near capacity crowds, get your facts straight.  You must not be aware that tickets sold for as high as $300 a piece for the Gonzaga and Texas games.

Your new recruits couldn't possibly have been influenced by the gifts the received to go to Memphis, could they?  And if you have an issue with the attendance stats, take it up with your school.  They're from the Memphis athletics web site.
Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: HoopHog on March 15, 2006, 08:02:57 am

Here is the reality that you (Memphis fans) loathe (no counting this year) --

Arkansas:  26 years of NCAA Tournament play (34-26). 6 final fours, 2 title games and 1 NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

Memphis: 18 years of NCAA Tournament play (18-19).  2 final fours and NO title games

pure pwned
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Ugly Uncle

MEMPHIS IS A MID-MAJOR.  They have lived in our shadow and they have a short man's complex.  They will have a good team every few years (when they cough up the money for one), but they will never be in our league...and I don't mean the SEC.

Let them puff up their chest.  They are having a good year this year.  They will never be a Cincinatti, a Louisville, or even a LSU, much less be an Arkansas.  They may occasionally win some games against the big boys, but they will ALWAYS BE a mid-major.  Insecurity=arrogance.
Retired Radio Host

Deuce Pigelow

Quote from: uglyuncle on March 15, 2006, 08:13:31 am
MEMPHIS IS A MID-MAJOR.  They have lived in our shadow and they have a short man's complex.  They will have a good team every few years (when they cough up the money for one), but they will never be in our league...and I don't mean the SEC.

Let them puff up their chest.  They are having a good year this year.  They will never be a Cincinatti, a Louisville, or even a LSU, much less be an Arkansas.  They may occasionally win some games against the big boys, but they will ALWAYS BE a mid-major.  Insecurity=arrogance.

great stuff!!!!  +1

Hog Gumbo

300 benjamins, whoo,  how much would the cost of a Ark-UNLV tic go for in todays dollars

Tried to go to Hooters after the C-USA cham game on Sat, place only had half their wait staff, wasn't expecting a huge crowd. thats right across the skreet from the Forum.

When is Memphis St. going to update its football stadium, oh wait, they gots no NFL team to mooch off of. Nashville got that

arkbadger

I like how they are saying that they aren't playing us in basketball cause we quit playing them in football.  Maybe, and I emphasize maybe, they would have a legit arguement if they would have ever beat us in football when we did play them.  Even when we did play them in the dump that they call the Liberty Bowl, it was 75% Hogs fans.  We have a gripe about basketball because not only did we beat them, but after we did beat them they had to make excuses about why they would no longer play us.  So they really want to swap up Ole Miss for us, go right ahead, I don't think there would be too many Hogs fans that would mind us playing a "road" game in Memphis every other year.
You can keep that skoal baby.

RBLtoHOG

Memphis is a joke. Memphis is having probably their best year and Arkansas is still struggling to get back to where we belong... and we STILL are going to beat them
In any fight, life or football, its the guy who is willing to die who will win that inch. If I'm gonna have any life anymore its because I'm still willing to fight and die for that inch....because, that's what living is!

razorduck

The problem that Memphis is having...I think the guy on ESPN radio said it best. The played a hell of a non-conference schedule. But that was in October and November. "What have you done for me lately?" What have they done in December and January? Memphis finished out the season 30-3 because they play in the C-USA and their conference games are nothing like SEC conference games. I have been listening to ESPN radio all day and not one time has anybody mentioned anything about Memphis except that the most interesting 2nd round game could be Memphis vs Arkansas.  Let's beat Bucknell and then send #1 Memphis packing.

RD
Hit that line, Hit that line, keep on going....

Queen Hog

Quote from: MtownTiger on March 14, 2006, 11:58:28 pm
#1 seed > #8 seed, we sure have alot to prove considering we're a top 5 team, I don't see much media talking about Arkansas winning the tournament.  We don't have to fall back on success that current team members can't even remember and that noone outside of a select group of fans cares about.  Can't build a decent facility?  Remember the Pyramid was built with the Tigers as sole tenants.   

You have a point about the media not talking about Arkansas winning the tournament.  They are too busy talking about y'all breaking a record.  Being the first #1 seed going down by #16 seed.  *Yawn*
I lub me some HOGS!!!

Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence.
Helen Keller