Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All things about the vacant Ole Miss Coaching job

Started by Big Hawg 21, March 06, 2006, 04:17:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Hawg 21

he is there top candidate according to "Sports in the Fort"

bigt54

That would give us a true basketball rival for sure.
"I was not the best cause I killed quickly, I was the best because the crowd loved me."

Pig Power

Wow.. Wouldn't that be something?

An old hog fanatic

Quote from: Big Hawg 21 on March 06, 2006, 04:17:07 pm

I don't believe it will happen but okay if it does.  If Nolan thought things were not to his satisfaction HERE just wait until he hits Oxford.  That place is a foriegn land compared to NWA and most of the rest of the world.
Winners never quit and bitchers do - Lanny

RazorbackRon

If this happens, it will make Ole Piss my number 1 hated team.   I will never forgive Nolan for the comments he made and the effect it had on the Razorback program. 
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

Big Hawg 21

Quote from: mid-georgia-hogfan on March 06, 2006, 04:23:19 pm
Quote from: Big Hawg 21 on March 06, 2006, 04:17:07 pm

I don't believe it will happen but okay if it does.  If Nolan thought things were not to his satisfaction HERE just wait until he hits Oxford.  That place is a foriegn land compared to NWA and most of the rest of the world.
True...But Expectations aren't very high, and its an SEC school looking to make any kind of splash it possibly can.  Ole Miss has NEVER won the SEC out right in Basketball.  They would probably be just about the only school from a power conference who would take a chance on Nolan.

WP razorback

I found this article on an ESPN blog by Andy Katz concerning the Ole Miss head coach position.  Enjoy!

Kennedy eyed for Ole Miss gigposted: Saturday, March 4, 2006 

Cincinnati interim coach Andy Kennedy will be a candidate at Ole Miss to replace Rod Barnes, a source close to the situation told ESPN.com.

Kennedy, the 1986 Mississippi player of the year, played at UAB and has deep roots in the South. A source said boosters are lobbying on Kennedy's behalf. Kennedy is a candidate for the full-time Cincinnati job, but he hasn't been told by athletic director Mike Thomas or president Nancy Zimpher of his status. The one thing he knows is that no decision will be made until after the season. Cincinnati hosted West Virginia in the regular season finale Saturday.

Barnes was told Thursday that he was out at Ole Miss. But, like Rutgers' Gary Waters, Duquesne's Danny Nee and Indiana's Mike Davis, he will continue to coach his team until it's eliminated.

Kennedy is also expected to be a candidate at Duquesne but would rather go to the South if he can't get the Cincinnati job. South Alabama's John Pelphrey, among others in the region, could be a player for the Ole Miss job. But Kennedy comes in as a hot name with strong ties to the state.

Duquesne's opening will draw interest from Midwest and Big East assistants and low-major coaches. Ohio State assistant John Groce, who has ties to the Duquesne athletic director from their time at Xavier, is also a strong candidate, as is Kent State's Jim Christian, according to sources.

Meanwhile, former UC coach Bob Huggins was expected to be in attendance at the Cincinnati-West Virginia game for the outgoing seniors.

Rutgers won't make a move to Fred Hill Jr. to replace Waters because it doesn't want to upstage Waters with assistant Hill in his final week of the season.

HOGLUVIN

I cant wait to see Nolan wearing a rebel flag jacket!

Thats like David Duke teaching philosophy at Booker T Washington.

Hogeye_Pierce

If that is true then Ole Miss is a lot more desperate than even I THOUGHT they were. Anybody wanting to take a chance on Mr. Law Suit in Cowboy Boots has to be AT or NEAR the ABSOLUTE BOTTOM.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

Big Hawg 21

Quote from: Hogeye_Pierce on March 06, 2006, 04:37:34 pm
If that is true then Ole Miss is a lot more desperate than even I THOUGHT they were. Anybody wanting to take a chance on Mr. Law Suit in Cowboy Boots has to be AT or NEAR the ABSOLUTE BOTTOM.

You just described Ole Miss to perfection!!!

hogsNbeer

I hope the tanks in MISSISSIPPI are oiled up.......

Tater Salad

Ole Miss + Nolan = Civil War ll

LA HAWG

Please let this happen.  It would be so awesome to watch.

tophawg19

never under estimate nolan . he will come back with a fire in his belly as he says just to prove us wrong . and with all the talent in mississippi he could really cause us problems . you would have to be a fool to think that he can't coach and now he has the motivation to win again . something that he was lacking here .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

LA HAWG

Quote from: tophawg19 on March 06, 2006, 04:48:28 pm
never under estimate nolan . he will come back with a fire in his belly as he says just to prove us wrong . and with all the talent in mississippi he could really cause us problems . you would have to be a fool to think that he can't coach and now he has the motivation to win again . something that he was lacking here .

The fire is gone.

Pig Power

Quote from: LA HAWG on March 06, 2006, 04:48:59 pm

The fire is gone.
LA, Agree, but it sure would be fun to watch.

ElRopo

Nolan will love that place. They are still in the dark ages down there. He aint gonna think much of yyaassaa and share croping. Maybe Jessie Jackson could be one of his assistants.

hogsNbeer

Whoever hires him has him for LIFE!   Because if you fire the man, even when he says you can, he'll take your school to court and drag your good name through the fu*&ing COALS!

razorhead69

NOLAN. Dang will he ever just go away?

Pig Power

Quote from: razorhead69 on March 06, 2006, 05:07:27 pm
You know it would be entertaining to see him twice a year again.

razorhead69

would be cool to give him the beatdown in the Bud.

Tater Salad

Funny how everyone on this board was begging for him to come back about a month ago

razorhead69

Quote from: Tater Salad on March 06, 2006, 05:17:12 pm

Funny how everyone on this board was begging for him to come back about a month ago
yes that is kinda funny. but I would never want that piece of shiite back in the bud unless it was for the beatdown of his arse.

Hogeye_Pierce

I take exception to your EVERYONE statement there bro. I, for one, would rather be tied to an anthill with honey spread on me than see HIM trolling the sidelines for the UA again. The guy went from National Champ to national joke in about the shortest time of anybody I can remember. I just LOVED getting PUNKED by the rest of the SEC AND having to endure his diatribes as well. Wish history could have just ended for him in 1996.

razorhead69

Shizzle

Never think Nolan can't coach when he is not in Martin Luther King mode, however I don't think he can break out of that mold. He would go all out on Arkansas week but he will never win another game in Bud Walton.
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

1836hog

I'll root for him unless he was playing the hogs.  Hate him or not he's one of the best ever.  We were fortunate to have him and so will Ole Miss, if he ends up there.

tophawg19

a chance to show up arkansas will rekindle that fire and like him or not he can coach . against nolan you never count your wins until it's over and our track record ain't the best against ole miss lately anyway . i'm glad nolan is gone because he hurt the u of a but this would give him a chance to prove us wrong .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: 1836hog on March 06, 2006, 05:47:37 pm
I'll root for him unless he was playing the hogs.  Hate him or not he's one of the best ever.  We were fortunate to have him and so will Ole Miss, if he ends up there.

Yeah, we were fortunate until he went NUTS. No convincing evidence as yet that he has regained his sanity yet sadly.

hoginator

I live in Fort Smith and don't listen to Sports in the Fort. Does that tell you anything?
Someone who doesn't stand for something will fall for anything...

ChrisD

Ole Miss is also a fantastic place for Nolans Us Against The World rhetoric. I can see him doing very well there for about 5 years...

Big Hawg 21

Quote from: hoginator on March 06, 2006, 05:55:50 pm
I live in Fort Smith and don't listen to Sports in the Fort. Does that tell you anything?

[/quote

I dont believe it either..I posted it b/c I heard it..thats all.

HairyHog

I will be dissapointed if he gets a job anywhere, and that includes Fry Cook at McDonalds.

rightdp

Quote from: HOGLUVIN on March 06, 2006, 04:31:28 pm
I cant wait to see Nolan wearing a rebel flag jacket!

Nolan....a rebel!  LOL!  That is a hilarious thought.

All the talent in MS?  Heck, all the talent in south AR.........  If this IS anything other than a rumor, they could cause a lot of people problems. 
Nolan is not as bad as he has presented himself for the last few years.  He is still a super nice guy on a personal level and there is no doubt in my mind that he can still coach. It still amazes me that he accomplished everything he did here, though.  Nolan and Frank are polar opposites....they bring out the worst in each other.  Nolan just lost it mentally and has spent the last few years digging his hole deeper and deeper.  If he can put this all behind him and if another school gives him a chance to start over, I think he could be very successful....again.

94 Hawg

a) get him of our payroll

b) we get to monitor all those tirades he will throw @ press conferences

this is a good thing  ;D    --  don't think it will happen though.
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

The real Hogules

Yes, I can just see it now, Nolan singing Dixie...................
Oh I wish I was in the land of cotton, old times there are NOT forgotten!
Yeah, that'll happen.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

pigture perfect

It might not be as far fetched as some are making it. I think Nolan would really be interested. No one can recruit Memphis like Nolan. Ole Miss is just Memhis's outhouse.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

hoggin das

Quote from: ChrisD on March 06, 2006, 06:01:23 pm

Ole Miss is also a fantastic place for Nolans Us Against The World rhetoric. I can see him doing very well there for about 5 years...
I agree. He would be in his element, in a rich recruiting area.  I would not for a minute understimate what the guy can do there.

Boss Hogg

QuoteI cant wait to see Nolan wearing a rebel flag jacket!

haha...that'd be awesome...

Not to mention it'd be a lock for 2 conference wins

HogDodging

He won't go away until he has gotten every bit of money he can from that "white haired devil."

lyon98

Quote from: hogsNbeer on March 06, 2006, 04:43:47 pm
I hope the tanks in MISSISSIPPI are oiled up.......

The 155th Brigade, MIssissippi NG just got back from a year in Iraq and is ready.
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.

hogman64

one of most inaccurate posts ever on this board.. I along with alot of others on this board would never want his lazy a** back at arkansas , even if we lost 200 straight games, he had been taking money for nothing several years before Stan got here....and its never going to happen with him and Ole Miss , as much as I wish it would..........

MarieHogFan

never under estimate nolan . he will come back with a fire in his belly as he says just to prove us wrong . and with all the talent in mississippi he could really cause us problems .

This might be true for about two years.  Then he'd remember why he quit about 3 years before he was actually fired.

The man is 60 something years old and got burned out chasing 18 year old kids around the country begging them to come play for him.  It became too demeaning a job for him.

Nolan will never, ever coach a Division I basketball team again.

fu-man-soo

12under

no way they get mike anderson.   he will not leave his hometown for oxford .  ole miss is really not a very attractive job.

HogHeathen

I see Anderson moving to a position like Cincinatti or Missouri before Ole Miss...

tulsahog36

.....a shot a revenge against Arkansas.   Oxford, Ms is one of the most racist places in america, and Nolan is oupspoken and cant keep his mouth shut.   That would be a very bad combo.   The only reason Nolan would go would be to stick to it Frank, and the only reason Ole Miss would put up with Nolan is because they beleive if he could stick it to old Frank, Ole Miss basketball would be top notch for a short while. 

Hog1751

Isn't he like 62? If he's going to take any job it will be soon, and as bad as Ole Miss is, I dont think he would take it because it would take 4 or 5 years just to the point of being a Sweet 16 team. My thoughts on Nolan are that he'll never leave NWA and far as Im concerned so what, he made an ass out of himself at the end but he also took us to 3 Final Fours, and a National Championship, he won 30 games several times and made a few sweet 16 appearences. Regardless of how he went out, He was a good coach for the all but the last 2 to 3 years he was at Arkansas. Nolans biggest mistake in my opinion is that he should have retired after the loss to Georgetown in 2001. Arkansas won our one and only National Championship when he was a our coach and regardless of what I think about him as a person, I give him respcet for that. If he goes to Ole Miss I hope he suceeds unless there playing us of course.

razorbackfan4life

If Nolan became coach at another SEC venue, I would be in shock.

lyon98

Ole miss has one upped john white, instead of a committee, they have hired a consultant to provide a committee a list of interested applicants.

http://www.clarionledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060307/SPORTS030103/603070379
What Is A Veteran?

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.'

That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.