Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

"Big Name" vs. "Up & Comers"

Started by (notOM)Rebel123, November 04, 2012, 08:36:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

(notOM)Rebel123

November 04, 2012, 08:36:01 am Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:38:45 am by (notOM)Rebel123
A breakdown of SEC coaches and their "previous" jobs:
Big Names:
Nick Saban- Miami Dolphins, LSU, MIch. St.
Steve Spurrier-Washington Redskins, Florida
Les Miles-Okla. St, Dallas Cowboys (TE coach)

"Up & Comers":
Kevin Sumlin- Houston, OU (O/C)
Hugh Freeze- ASU, Ole Miss (O/C)
Will Muschamp-Texas (D/C), Auburn (D/C)
Mark Richt-Fla. State (O/C,QB)
Joker Phillips-Kentucky (O/C)
Gary Pinkel-Toledo, Washington (O/C)
Derek Dooley- La. Tech, Miami Dolphins (TE)
James Franklin-Maryland (O/C)
Gene Chizik- Iowa St., Texas (co-D/C)
Dan Mullen-Florida (O/C)

"Up & Comers" lists coaches that would be considered "Up & Comers" when they were hired for their current jobs. Mark Richt is certainly not an " U & C" now.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Lanny

Probably an up and comer or a older coach looking for a change.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Kevin on November 04, 2012, 08:41:58 am
Big time guys do not move

Exactly. Shows how difficult it can be to get a "Big Name" to move.

Chief Mac

I would say the only successful hires on that list are Richt, Muschamp, and maybe Sumlin/Freeze (jury is out). Mullen is mediocre and while I wouldn't label his hire a successful hire, he is not unsuccessful. In order for a coordinator to be successful out of the gate, it helps to have great talent to mask coaching errors that will happen as he grows into his position. 

I don't see Arkansas as a program that can hire a coach with training wheels.  He might have the ability to be really good but do you really want to go through 3-5 years of growing pains till he "gets it"?  Gotta have a coach that has a system where you see steady improvement from his first year on.
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on November 04, 2012, 08:57:10 am
I would say the only successful hires on that list are Richt, Muschamp, and maybe Sumlin/Freeze (jury is out). Mullen is mediocre and while I wouldn't label his hire a successful hire, he is not unsuccessful. In order for a coordinator to be successful out of the gate, it helps to have great talent to mask coaching errors that will happen as he grows into his position. 

I don't see Arkansas as a program that can hire a coach with training wheels.  He might have the ability to be really good but do you really want to go through 3-5 years of growing pains till he "gets it"?  Gotta have a coach that has a system where you see steady improvement from his first year on.

Pinkel has done pretty well at Mizzou. He was something like 48-19 from 2007-2011. Now that's in no way a suggestion that he be considered. The point if my OP was to show how many other SEC schools went with a so-called "Up & Comer". Because it is tough getting established coaches to move.

Chief Mac

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 04, 2012, 09:13:20 am
Pinkel has done pretty well at Mizzou. He was something like 48-19 from 2007-2011. Now that's in no way a suggestion that he be considered. The point if my OP was to show how many other SEC schools went with a so-called "Up & Comer". Because it is tough getting established coaches to move.

And how is Pinkel doing in the SEC?  I'm aware of his success in the Big 12 but the SEC ain't the Big 12. I left him out of my thought process for that very reason. Lets see what his record is in two years. Then we can say he is successful or not.

I get what your saying and the facts back it up. What I am saying is while it may be difficult to do so, Arkansas needs to buck that trend in order for the program to be successful.
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

(notOM)Rebel123

For as great as it is to be a member of the SEC, the strength of the league could certainly hurt our chances of landing a "big name" coach. Even the great Bobby Bowden didn't want any part of it when Fla. State was extended an invitation. When FSU declined, S. Carolina was invited.

Pig In The City

The only up and comer that I would want Long to consider is Kirby Smart.  Any coaching change is a roll of the dice, even a Gruden hire.

Root_hawg

I'm hearing that the science dept at the UofA has developed a regeneration potion and are currently using it on Vince Lombardi and he will be announced as the next UA head football coach and I have it from a very reliable source

BrassNunchucks

Quote from: Root_hawg on November 04, 2012, 11:07:52 am
I'm hearing that the science dept at the UofA has developed a regeneration potion and are currently using it on Vince Lombardi and he will be announced as the next UA head football coach and I have it from a very reliable source

I'll pass. Carpetbagger yankee from Brooklyn. Spent his best years in the pros and doesn't know the SEC

TX HOG

Tim Harris

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on November 04, 2012, 08:57:10 am

And what big time coach is going to leave his current team to take over at Arkansas?