Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Update: State braced for Battle over the Cowbells

Started by jbcarol, May 31, 2010, 10:02:52 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

If MSU started winning the SEC West then the rule would be enforced.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HamHands

One day at a time.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 16, 2013, 09:36:25 pm
Maybe the WMS crowd should all bring cowbells & rattle those things when MSU is on offense?

Problem is about half our fans would use them when we're on offense too. ;D
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

Hawginthecovers

I always thought that since we're the duck capital of the world, that we should bring duck calls to the game.  You know that they would never be able to keep them out of the stadium....."Excuse me sir, is that a duck call in your pocket?"...No, I'm just really happy to be here Mr. usher." ;)

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: rlh06 on November 18, 2013, 09:22:14 am
Problem is about half our fans would use them when we're on offense too. ;D

Oh my...sadly, you are correct.  ;D
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

the_kosher_pig

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on November 18, 2013, 04:11:56 pm
Oh my...sadly, you are correct.  ;D
Not if it's in Fayetteville.  How can you shake a cowbell while sitting on your hands?  The only way I could think of would have you busy making movies instead of sitting at a ball game.
Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on August 24, 2012, 11:24:06 am
Or unless your and idiot that is just trying to stir things up.

jbcarol

Can you expect them to #ringresponsibly tonite?
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Bob Carskadon ‏@bobcarskadon 7m
It's eery. RT @38Godfrey: One cowbell we can hear from press box... louder and deeper than the rest, leading the rest... THE OMEGA CLANG.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

DeltaBoy

We use Cowbells at HS football games in TX but not to the level that MSU!  I was visiting at MSU in the 1980s and they were Cowbelling at Basketball games.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

SteveInArk

Rules are made to be waived by the NCAA/SEC, based on little fact or flawed opinions.   ;)

Get rid of Indian mascots, but keep noisemakers (but only for schools that already traditionally used them).  Crushing sanctions for one school, slap another school on the wrist.

BS decisions.  Get rid of the cowbells ... get a NEW tradition.   8)
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

Albert Einswine

I would be impressed by 65,000 misstake fans screaming in unison to the top of their lungs "CLANGA-CLANGA-CLANGA-CLANGA-CLANGA-CLANGA"!!!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Big Papa Satan

People who ring cowbells at ball games are excellent candidates for forcible castration.

jbcarol

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN 3h
Auburn & Missouri fined $5,000 each.  Ole Miss fined $25,000 for 2nd offense by SEC for rushing field

SEC also fines Mississippi State $25,000 for violation of "artificial noisemaker policy"

SteveInArk

Those hefty fines probably have the schools trembling in their collective boots.   ::)
- "If we all threw our problems in a pile and saw everyone else's, we'd grab our's back." - Unknown

jbcarol

David Connelly ‏@DavidConnelly14 20 Dec
@MikeBBonner Not surprised, fans around me did not ring responsibly all year, especially Al and Miss games.

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 20 Dec
Mississippi State fined $25,000 for improper use of cowbells http://blogs.clarionledger.com/msu/2013/12/20/mississippi-state-fined-25000-for-improper-use-of-cowbells/ ...

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  29m
MSU fans will be allowed to ring cowbells until center is over football. Only quiet time is moment center over ball to play whistled dead.

Jon Solomon @JonSolomonCBS  ·  35m
SEC will allow music to be played during FB games at any time except from when center is over the ball until play is whistled dead

jbcarol

Bill Martin @MSUBillMartin  ·  19h
Might be coolest element of all. Entrance with #HailState built out of cowbells in new DWS north EZ.  @darrenrovell

The Hogfather

Quote from: jbcarol on August 23, 2014, 08:55:35 am
Bill Martin @MSUBillMartin  ·  19h
Might be coolest element of all. Entrance with #HailState built out of cowbells in new DWS north EZ.  @darrenrovell

Wow!  So cool!  Classy! State of the art!

jbcarol

loganlowery @loganlowery  ·  41 minutes ago

Funny how cowbells only come up as an issue when State fields a decent team. Never hear complaints during down years.

Atlhogfan1

Down years are the norm for MSU.  I guess there have been no complaints since 1998. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 08, 2014, 01:28:36 pm
Down years are the norm for MSU.  I guess there have been no complaints since 1998. 

No joke, I think their artificial noisemakers are, always have been, and always will be bush league and lame.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on October 08, 2014, 01:14:55 pm
loganlowery @loganlowery  ·  41 minutes ago

Funny how cowbells only come up as an issue when State fields a decent team. Never hear complaints during down years.

The cowbells are used a lot more fervently when their team is winning.......... 8)

RedRock

The NCAA allows MSU fans to use cowbells.  I say we use cowbells during the MSU game too.  Let's give it right back to them. 

I've got a feva for more cowbell.

gijoejd

That would be like MSU doing the Hog Call.....

RedRock

Quote from: gijoejd on October 30, 2014, 08:31:36 am
The Hog Call is a cheer.  Cowbell is irritating noise while offense is on the field.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: gijoejd on October 30, 2014, 08:31:36 am

On an etiquette level, yes... But I like it....
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

JaketheSnake

Razorbax

How about 72000 with vuvuzelas. Probably cheaper than the towels they gave us at homecoming.

The Hogfather

We should make it our new "tradition" to play air horn sirens the entire time our opponents have the ball.

The fact that they get to use these is ridiculous.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 30, 2014, 09:05:58 am
We should make it our new "tradition" to play air horn sirens the entire time our opponents have the ball.

The fact that they get to use these is ridiculous.
agreed

We need something to level the auditory playing field.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

razorcash2

Next time they come to town we should hand out the cowbells to our fans.

The Hogfather

Quote from: razorcash2 on October 30, 2014, 09:28:06 am
Next time they come to town we should hand out the cowbells to our fans.

Let's do it!  I think that would be hilarious!

PonderinHog

BRHogfan

guys the Hog Call can be just like Cowbells... Let's do it when they get to 3rd down...

majestic

I've often wondered how these are legal? My tickets state something to the effect of "no outside noise makers".
Voluntary epidemiologist - Voted for W in 08

PORKULATOR

Starter guns and airhorns and vuvuzelas oh my.

If we can make their offense uneasy for a few plays on our end of the field, we might lift our spirits and dampen theirs, which will quiten down some of their less enthusiastic fans.
Msu angers me for making me dislike cowbells, for a week, once a year.

Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

The Hogfather

Quote from: majestic on October 30, 2014, 09:39:21 am
I've often wondered how these are legal? My tickets state something to the effect of "no outside noise makers".

But their outside noise makers are "tradition", so everyone lets it slide.

I like the starter gun idea.  Our new "tradition".

PonderinHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 30, 2014, 09:43:31 am
But their outside noise makers are "tradition", so everyone lets it slide.

I like the starter gun idea.  Our new "tradition".
To clarify, I'm not talking about constant gunfire.  Just occasional, intermittent, unexpected bursts when they least expect it... 8)

Southpointhog

Quote from: RedRock on October 30, 2014, 08:28:17 am
The NCAA allows MSU fans to use cowbells.  I say we use cowbells during the MSU game too.  Let's give it right back to them. 

I've got a feva for more cowbell.

Dumb!  Not trying to be mean, but come on!

Razorbax

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 30, 2014, 09:48:50 am
To clarify, I'm not talking about constant gunfire.  Just occasional, intermittent, unexpected bursts when they least expect it... 8)

Add the fireworks we use when we score and we can make their third down sound like Chicago every night

CabotHog87

I think that's a great idea. I'd do it if I were going to the game. The look on their fan's faces when we start clanging cowbells while State is on offense would be priceless.

Kyle

You would need enough vuvuzelas to hit the brown note to really send a message.

bphi11ips

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 30, 2014, 09:33:49 am
And starter guns.

http://www.inertproducts.com/replica_ordnance

Went camping once at Kyles Landing with a former Navy SEAL.  He brought a dummy mortar shell with him.  About 2:00 am we were drinking on top of a bluff across the Buffalo River from the campground when he decided to throw the fake mortar off the bluff.  Created quite a stir down below.

This would be fun on 3rd down Saturday. 

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

1highhog

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 30, 2014, 10:41:21 am
http://www.inertproducts.com/replica_ordnance

Went camping once at Kyles Landing with a former Navy SEAL.  He brought a dummy mortar shell with him.  About 2:00 am we were drinking on top of a bluff across the Buffalo River from the campground when he decided to throw the fake mortar off the bluff.  Created quite a stir down below.

This would be fun on 3rd down Saturday. 

My Uncle is Sergeant Major of the National Guard and he's gotten several of those for us in the past, you're right, on a unsuspecting crowd, you would think you were dancing with the devil in the pale moonlight.  People scattering everywhere.  I'm surprised we never got caught with those things.

sowmonella

Quote from: hogz11 on October 30, 2014, 09:41:41 am
Especially to a team who's mascot is the BULLDOGS. Don't understand how cowbells come into play there...:

It's the mating call of MSU coeds.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Bebop

Quote from: hogz11 on October 30, 2014, 09:41:41 am
Especially to a team who's mascot is the BULLDOGS. Don't understand how cowbells come into play there...:

Mating call for their women.