Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Here's what I am told about the assistant coach search

Started by Biggus Piggus, April 07, 2005, 11:28:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

If Stan Heath is most concerned about recruiting on the SEC level (and he has had a problem getting guards, which are ruling the league right now), then he will hire Shawn Finney, a recruiting ace who is not respected as an X-O coach.

If Heath is most concerned about developing the talent he recruits, he will hire a more veteran coach to be his right-hand man.
[CENSORED]!

Eric Sullivan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 07, 2005, 11:28:59 pm
If Stan Heath is most concerned about recruiting on the SEC level (and he has had a problem getting guards, which are ruling the league right now), then he will hire Shawn Finney, a recruiting ace who is not respected as an X-O coach.

If Heath is most concerned about developing the talent he recruits, he will hire a more veteran coach to be his right-hand man.
Very Nice post Biggus.. I agree with you on the GUARD situation... But lets GUARDS that can shoot it.. My take on the "NEW ASSISTANT" is that hey, Coach Heath will pick a guy that he can work with and that Frank Broyles likes.. {example, Reggie Herring} But in College Basketball it's still the head coach that calls the shots in all aspects from my point of view and experiances as a player.. I mean Bobby Knight and Coach K {my hero} don't depend on their Assistants except for them to be there at practice to do his drills and recruit like a mad man.  When it comes to gametime, the Head Coach makes the call in every situation. It always cracks me up when a College Basketball coach calls a timeout and the Coaches huddle up first.. I mean assistants make insightfull suggestions,  there is NO DOUBT about that, but when it comes down to it, Coach K, Pitino, Knight, Tubby=THEY ARE DRAWING UP THE PLAY and expect the players to do it. So I don't put a lot stock in HIREING a bigtime Assistant.. I think Coach Heath will get a guy that has had HEAD COACHING experiance but there is NO question in my mind, in the end Coach STAN HEATH will run the show his way, and I think it should be that way.

Gman

Yea, the head coach will run the show, but Stan doesn't exactly have a ton of Head Coaching experiance.  And he doesn't seem to have a knack for getting a players attention, in the way say a Reggie Herring would. 

Swino

What is the point of having a recruiting ace when the head coach can't even get his team an identity?