Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog asst Thompson interested in Fresno State

Started by PerryHog, April 06, 2005, 08:25:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PerryHog

per scott cain in today's demozette. The fresno paper quotes Ronny's dad as saying he is very interested. Anyone think Ronny will get the job? I'm not too familiar with the other candidates mentioned. We do want to keep Ronny right? Isn't he our big guy coach? And a good recruiter? I'm guessing he was hired knowing he wouldn't stay too long though.
What's going on with flaskas' replacement? Haven't heard anything, and the Final Four is over now.

Arkapigdiesel

Flaska first, and now Thompson.  They see the writing on the wall so they are looking for greener pastures.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

hawgjowls

Quote from: PerryHog on April 06, 2005, 08:25:31 am
per scott cain in today's demozette. The fresno paper quotes Ronny's dad as saying he is very interested. Anyone think Ronny will get the job? I'm not too familiar with the other candidates mentioned. We do want to keep Ronny right? Isn't he our big guy coach? And a good recruiter? I'm guessing he was hired knowing he wouldn't stay too long though.
What's going on with flaskas' replacement? Haven't heard anything, and the Final Four is over now.
he may be interested but are they interested in him?  probably not.

imtad16

Quote from: PBD on April 06, 2005, 08:33:01 am
Flaska first, and now Thompson. They see the writing on the wall so they are looking for greener pastures.
Dude you are jumping to conclusions... nothing has happened yet. And like hawgjowls just eluded to he is probably not their first choice... it could happen but there are better options out there. It is amazing how on every subject on Hogville there are people who just freak out and jump to conclusion with a little rumor or little info to zero info.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: imtad16 on April 06, 2005, 09:20:48 am
Quote from: PBD on April 06, 2005, 08:33:01 am
Flaska first, and now Thompson. They see the writing on the wall so they are looking for greener pastures.
Dude you are jumping to conclusions... nothing has happened yet. And like hawgjowls just eluded to he is probably not their first choice... it could happen but there are better options out there. It is amazing how on every subject on Hogville there are people who just freak out and jump to conclusion with a little rumor or little info to zero info.

If that didn't happen, this would just be a newspaper.

I fail to see how assistants taking head jobs, which is presumably the natural progression, is evidence of a bad situation.  It is generally considered to be a pretty good compliment to the head coach they left.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

SonOfMud

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 06, 2005, 09:32:57 am
It is generally considered to be a pretty good compliment to the head coach they left.

True.  Unless of course the assistant coaches are better coaches then the head coach.  You can't tell me that in this case, these guys learned a whole lot from Stan Heath.  They weren't with him that long.  This isn't a Dean Smith and Roy Williams situation, or a Bob Knight and Coach K situation. 
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

Fatty McGee

Quote from: SonOfMud on April 06, 2005, 10:05:56 am
Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 06, 2005, 09:32:57 am
It is generally considered to be a pretty good compliment to the head coach they left.

True. Unless of course the assistant coaches are better coaches then the head coach. You can't tell me that in this case, these guys learned a whole lot from Stan Heath. They weren't with him that long. This isn't a Dean Smith and Roy Williams situation, or a Bob Knight and Coach K situation.

I didn't say they did. 

hawgdawg

With the current circumstance, I don't see anyway an assistant at U of A could get a head coaching at a school that was in the upper half of Div I programs. Why would you hire an assistant from Arkansas over, say an assistant from Arizona or Stanford or Cal or Gonzaga, or countless other successfull programs?

SonOfMud

Bob Knight's son is looking at the Fresno job too.
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hawgdawg on April 06, 2005, 10:32:19 am
With the current circumstance, I don't see anyway an assistant at U of A could get a head coaching at a school that was in the upper half of Div I programs. Why would you hire an assistant from Arkansas over, say an assistant from Arizona or Stanford or Cal or Gonzaga, or countless other successfull programs?

Duke assistants don't leave to become the head coach of Centenary.
[CENSORED]!

hawgdawg

I agree Biggus...I never saw the list of applicants or finalists for that job, but I'm guessing not many assistants from teams that were in the Big Dance were even remotely interested in that job. For Flaska, that job is probably better than being out of a job...so a good move for him....

Fatty McGee

Every assistant is looking for a head job.  If places like Tulsa, Appalachian State, etc. can be stepping stones, there's no reason Centenary can't.   There are a select few assistants who are members of the Dean Smith family, Roy Williams family, etc. who can pass on some head jobs in the hopes they make it at a big school, but most can't. 

Pragmatic PiG

trolling around some FSU boards, i don't see RT's name mentioned at all

seems a local guy, Walhberg from Fresno CC is getting a lot of support from posters. Knight is as well.........

hawgdawg

Quote from: Fatty McGee on April 06, 2005, 11:23:38 am
Every assistant is looking for a head job. If places like Tulsa, Appalachian State, etc. can be stepping stones, there's no reason Centenary can't. There are a select few assistants who are members of the Dean Smith family, Roy Williams family, etc. who can pass on some head jobs in the hopes they make it at a big school, but most can't.
I disagree...EVERY  assistant is NOT looking for a head job at a place like Centenary...Centenary in NO resembles Tulsa or App State...My guess the applicant field for that job came from Div II coaches, high school coaches, and low-level Div I assistants

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: hawgdawg on April 06, 2005, 01:43:27 pm
Every assistant is looking for a head job. If places like Tulsa, Appalachian State, etc. can be stepping stones, there's no reason Centenary can't. There are a select few assistants who are members of the Dean Smith family, Roy Williams family, etc. who can pass on some head jobs in the hopes they make it at a big school, but most can't.
I disagree...EVERY  assistant is NOT looking for a head job at a place like Centenary...Centenary in NO resembles Tulsa or App State...My guess the applicant field for that job came from Div II coaches, high school coaches, and low-level Div I assistants

is that ark now?

hawgdawg

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on April 06, 2005, 01:46:15 pm
I disagree...EVERY assistant is NOT looking for a head job at a place like Centenary...Centenary in NO resembles Tulsa or App State...My guess the applicant field for that job came from Div II coaches, high school coaches, and low-level Div I assistants

is that ark now?

I probably should have put low to MID level Div assistants...does anyone have the list of candidates for that job?

Fatty McGee

I disagree...EVERY assistant is NOT looking for a head job at a place like Centenary...Centenary in NO resembles Tulsa or App State...My guess the applicant field for that job came from Div II coaches, high school coaches, and low-level Div I assistants

Disagree all you want, but you'll continue to be wrong.  And I excepted those who are under guys like Roy Williams and Dean Smith.  Admittedly, with the "every" at the front it's not very clear. 

Tulsa, App. State, E. Kentucky, etc. weren't those schools until someone came along and made them good.  When Nolan took over Tulsa, ORU was actually a bigger name in the region.  Had you heard of E. Kentucky before Travis Ford too the job?  How about App. State before Buzz Peterson got the job? 

Centenary is in the same conference as ORU.  ORU has someone with a pretty well known coaching last name - when he left OSU, was that a low to mid-level program?  Jeff Lebo left South Carolina for Tenn. Tech when USC was pretty good and he has a UNC pedigree.  Is Tenn. Tech better than Centenary?   

If you're in a conference with an automatic bid, that's all that matters. 

Biggus Piggus

Same conference, but there's only a couple of legit programs in that conference, ORU being one of them.  And Tennessee Tech is better than Centenary.  I hope Flaska brings some life to the Gents, but they've been dead for a long time.  Centenary is a job where you get paid very little + probably are going to get fired for losing like everybody else did.  Then it's back to being an assistant again.
[CENSORED]!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on April 06, 2005, 03:32:12 pm
Same conference, but there's only a couple of legit programs in that conference, ORU being one of them. And Tennessee Tech is better than Centenary. I hope Flaska brings some life to the Gents, but they've been dead for a long time. Centenary is a job where you get paid very little + probably are going to get fired for losing like everybody else did. Then it's back to being an assistant again.

Sorry, but the difference in "legit" and "not legit" in the MCC is pretty small.  Probably one player.

Tenn. Tech 6 years ago was better than Centenary because. . . . ?

Biggus Piggus

Tennessee Tech's administration wanted to win.  Centenary's was not serious about winning.  Centenary will never fund/support the program at a competitive level.  Shouldn't even be in D-I.  Has 900 students.  Tennessee Tech has more than 9,000.  Basketball is a hobby at Centenary.
[CENSORED]!

Porquemada

hawgdawg

Disagree all you want, but you'll continue to be wrong. And I excepted those who are under guys like Roy Williams and Dean Smith. Admittedly, with the "every" at the front it's not very clear.

Fatty - YOU ARE WRONG.. how many div I college assistants do you know? I happen to know several  from varying levels of DIV I, and none that I know were interested (except Rob) in that job or would have touched it with a ten-foot pole.. gosh I'm starting to sound like BKnight, but know your facts...if you want to say that the 2nd or 3rd assistant coach at some Div I programs are always looking to be a head coach , I might agree with that..but the reality is that there are a lot of assistants who have a better job, with more pay, prestige, etc at a mid to high level Div I than the Centenary job will ever have...I think the fact that no one can produce the list of finalist or candidates for the Centenary says a lot...