Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dave Van Horn...Best thing ever to Arkansas Baseball?

Started by urhogdaddi, March 17, 2005, 04:32:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

urhogdaddi

Hogs,....Nutt,......Heath,......Polish Sausage

urhogdaddi

i think if he keeps like he is, it won't take to much time for him to pass Norm as the best thing to arkansas baseball
Hogs,....Nutt,......Heath,......Polish Sausage

Brett Hitman Hog

But there wouldn't be a Dave if there wasn't a Norm ... Norm got the program off the ground and was an influence on Dave's coaching career.  So I have to say that Norm was the greatest thing to hog baseball now ... But Dave looks like he'll finish the job Norm started (College WS) and take over the legacy.

The Max Swineberg 7

Quote from: urhogdaddi on March 17, 2005, 04:40:25 pm
i think if he keeps like he is, it won't take to much time for him to pass Norm as the best thing to arkansas baseball

No offense, but you are a young guy, right?

But, I will agree that if he keeps this pace up over time, your subject line will be undisputable.
Arkansas has too many Stepford fans.

hogfan98

dvh will never pass norm.  norm built the program from scratch and it is because of him we have such a great program.  we will all revere dvh for taking the program to that next level, but norm will always be king.

Extra Point

Just as Norm laid the foundation in building the program from nothing, Eddie did the same in basketball.  Nolan took it to another level and Dave looks as if he will do the same.

Dave is benefitting from the financial windfall of Norm's efforts in raising money as well.  Everytime I walk into Baum, I get a big smile on my face, my shoulders inch back and my chest sticks out.  I instantly think, "This is awesome".

Dave is a great coach and it looks like the best guy possible to take the torch from Norm.  I think Dave will garner Arkansas much more national attention than Norm did, but Norm will always be considered the "Father of Arkansas Baseball".

HogInMemphis

No. Rockhead was the best thing that ever happened to Arkansas baseball. If you know him, HS or college, or kept up with Hog baseball then, you'll know who I'm talking about.

razorback44

Quote from: hogfan98 on March 17, 2005, 05:41:57 pm
dvh will never pass norm. norm built the program from scratch and it is because of him we have such a great program. we will all revere dvh for taking the program to that next level, but norm will always be king.

DVH will never pass norm, just like no one will pass Coach K, no one will pass Bobby Bowden, and no one will pass John McDonnell...Those guys started the tradition from nothing and brought it into greatness.  Yes, the next coach may be as good or better in those situations...but it will never be comparable.
"No force and no man can abolish memory"  FDR

Philip Seaton

I agree. Norm went out as Hog the way Eddie should have. Both laid the foundations and their successors took  it, or in DVH case will, to greater heights. They only thing I don't see Van Horn doing is destroying the foundation after buidling on top of it like Nolan did.

PerryHog

The hogs used to play in an old, horrible city park field. Norm took them to Baum, with a few series appearances on the way.

VanHorn will go to the next level. Kudos to both.

PIGG

Quote from: Extra Point on March 17, 2005, 05:47:25 pm
Everytime I walk into Baum, I get a big smile on my face, my shoulders inch back and my chest sticks out. I instantly think, "This is awesome".

I love the environment of Baum Stadium.  The recent warm weather, the light breeze, the smell of cinnamon roasted almonds and kettle corn.  There's no other sound in sports that excites me as much as the "ping!" of the metal bats striking a homerun.  I love what our baseball has become. 
Let's drink till we can't feel feelings anymore!
- Peter Griffin

heathshogs

If Van Horn stays around until the end of his career as I supect/hope he does, he will likely pass Norm in wins, Tournament appearances, Regionals, CWS, and every other statistical measure. But he will never pass Norm in importance to the Arkansas program. Before Norm we weren't even playing baseball in the SWC. He took the program from basically nothing in 1970 to a national power. He made his first tournament appearance in 1973. Started playing at George Cole Field by 1975. Got us to the finals of the CWS in 1979. And into the CWS 3 more times. Sent countless players on to professional careers including Dave VAn Horn. Got Baum Stadium built where we starteed playing in 1996. In general Norm DeBryin is the Arkansas Baseball Program. Just for perspective hefinished with 1161-650-6. The next highest win total for and Arkansas coach is Bill Ferrell who was 139-149. All time coming into this season Arkansas is 1633-1066-6.

A ticket is not permission to be entertained. It's a license to go to work.--Hognoxious

CharlieHog

Quote from: heathshogs on March 18, 2005, 09:53:30 am
If Van Horn stays around until the end of his career as I supect/hope he does, he will likely pass Norm in wins, Tournament appearances, Regionals, CWS, and every other statistical measure. But he will never pass Norm in importance to the Arkansas program. Before Norm we weren't even playing baseball in the SWC. He took the program from basically nothing in 1970 to a national power. He made his first tournament appearance in 1973. Started playing at George Cole Field by 1975. Got us to the finals of the CWS in 1979. And into the CWS 3 more times. Sent countless players on to professional careers including Dave VAn Horn. Got Baum Stadium built where we starteed playing in 1996. In general Norm DeBryin is the Arkansas Baseball Program. Just for perspective hefinished with 1161-650-6. The next highest win total for and Arkansas coach is Bill Ferrell who was 139-149. All time coming into this season Arkansas is 1633-1066-6.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

PorcineSublime

Quote from: PIGG on March 18, 2005, 09:02:40 am
Everytime I walk into Baum, I get a big smile on my face, my shoulders inch back and my chest sticks out. I instantly think, "This is awesome".

I love the environment of Baum Stadium.  The recent warm weather, the light breeze, the smell of cinnamon roasted almonds and kettle corn.  There's no other sound in sports that excites me as much as the "ping!" of the metal bats striking a homerun.  I love what our baseball has become. 
OK, I was sailing along with you till you got to the "ping". Aluminum bats are almost as big an abomination as astroturf. I hate them. I understand why they have to be, but I still hate them. Could you imagine hearing the crack of a wooden bat at Baum, man that would be awesome. Otherwise you have an applaud worthy post, so I'll slide the bat thing and give you a plus.
Sittin in the morning sun, I'll be sittin here when evening comes.

msudawgs64

Quote from: PorcineSublime on March 18, 2005, 11:25:40 am
Quote from: PIGG on March 18, 2005, 09:02:40 am

OK, I was sailing along with you till you got to the "ping". Aluminum bats are almost as big an abomination as astroturf. I hate them. I understand why they have to be, but I still hate them. Could you imagine hearing the crack of a wooden bat at Baum, man that would be awesome. Otherwise you have an applaud worthy post, so I'll slide the bat thing and give you a plus.

I am with you on this Porcine..aluminum bats need to be removed from the college game.  Yes they do make for a very nice sound when listening to the games on the radio, which I have to do with State, but college players are one step from playing pro ball (at least some of them). Pros don't use aluminum bats at any level plus the ball coming off an aluminum bat with some players is the same as having them shoot the ball out of a rocket launcher.  As for Astroturf..yuck.  Best thing Arkansas did was to pull that crap up and put in grass.  Call me a traditionalist as well, hell I used a wooden bat in Little League and high school ball.
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant's life, she will choose to save the infant's life without even considering if there are men on base.  ~Dave Barry

"I'd rather lose a game like that than a 5-4 ballgame when somebody walks in the winning run or makes an error" -MSU's former head coach Ron Polk after South Carolina pummeled the Bulldogs 20-3 on 3/23/2007.

Feb. 20, 2009-a new era in MSU Baseball begins.

I'M EMBARRASSED

I am too young to have seen all that Norm did for the UA baseball program.  However, what DVH is doing currently excites the hell out of me.  He is the greatest coach that could have been brought to Fayetteville.  He's a product of Norm, which indicates Norm's tutelage.  I hope that we never lose DVH because it will be the biggest loss that Fayetteville will encounter.  He will bring a few CWS championships to the Hill.

pioneerhog

Quote from: hogsrus5 on March 18, 2005, 07:11:49 pm
I am too young to have seen all that Norm did for the UA baseball program. However, what DVH is doing currently excites the hell out of me. He is the greatest coach that could have been brought to Fayetteville. He's a product of Norm, which indicates Norm's tutelage. I hope that we never lose DVH because it will be the biggest loss that Fayetteville will encounter. He will bring a few CWS championships to the Hill.
I'm with you on this one, I too was to young to see what all Norm did. But I will say that from everything I have read about Razorback baseball that Norm built the program, so I agree with most on here that Norm will always be the king, legend, or whatever you want to call him, of razorback baseball.

NuttsSacked

Norm built a respectable program.  Van Horn is going to take it to the next level...championships, SEC and NCAA. 

NuttsSacked

Given the right coaches, Arkansas could find such success in football and basketball as well.

I'M EMBARRASSED

DVH makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when thinking about our baseball program.  He's giving us something to be optimistic about in the face of such dissappointment with our other two programs.  In fact, if things don't turn around, baseball may be our bread winner for years to come.  That's a bold statement, but I will stand by Van Horn.  He's too good.  I'd love to see him as next AD.

pioneerhog

Quote from: hogsrus5 on March 18, 2005, 08:35:23 pm
DVH makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside when thinking about our baseball program. He's giving us something to be optimistic about in the face of such dissappointment with our other two programs. In fact, if things don't turn around, baseball may be our bread winner for years to come. That's a bold statement, but I will stand by Van Horn. He's too good. I'd love to see him as next AD.
He would be a better AD than Nutt IMO.

Fletch

How in the world do you even begin to judge DVH vs HDN as AD? Does more success as a coach mean better as AD? Just curious as to what criteria being used to make this assumption. 
I feel like $100

pioneerhog

Quote from: Fletch on March 18, 2005, 08:45:36 pm
How in the world do you even begin to judge DVH vs HDN as AD? Does more success as a coach mean better as AD? Just curious as to what criteria being used to make this assumption.
Just not a big fan of Nutt, I mean do we really want a AD that talks to other schools every year. I use to be a fan of Nutt until he talk to two schools two years in a row, I lost my respect for him after that, it doesn't show alot of royalty to the Hogs. Now I understand I am not looking at this fairly, So I MUST say that I don't know which one would be a better AD.

I'M EMBARRASSED

I just see DVH as a no nonsense type of guy who would work well as an AD.  Nutt would/will do well, but in my opinion, I would like to see Van Horn as next AD.

pioneerhog

It would be ok if DVH will stay the baseball coach.

Fletch

I was disappointed that Nutt did that also, But in a way I understand. He probably knows there is a chance he may be looking for a job if things don't improve soon. So keeping his options open with big name schools like LSU and Nebraska gives him a better chance of decent job if he is fired here.
I feel like $100

pioneerhog

Quote from: Fletch on March 18, 2005, 09:42:36 pm
I was disappointed that Nutt did that also, But in a way I understand. He probably knows there is a chance he may be looking for a job if things don't improve soon. So keeping his options open with big name schools like LSU and Nebraska gives him a better chance of decent job if he is fired here.
I have heard that it would probably hurt him, No school wants someone that talks to a different school every year.

NEAHAWG

Quote from: pioneerhog on March 18, 2005, 09:45:43 pm
Quote from: Fletch on March 18, 2005, 09:42:36 pm
I have heard that it would probably hurt him, No school wants someone that talks to a different school every year.
I think that is right.

Fletch

He has only talked to 2 schools, both with far more tradition rich programs than ours. It's hard for me to see how that can hurt. Many coaches have marketed themselves for better jobs.
I feel like $100

tophawg19

IF YOU HAVE A FAMILY YOU OWE IT TO THEM TO KEEP YOUR OPTIONS OPEN . ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND WOULD AT LEAST LISTEN TO WHAT MIGHT BE BETTER OFFERS . YOUR MAIN JOB IS TO SUPPORT YOUR FAMILY THE BEST YOU CAN .
THERE IS NO LOYALTY FROM THE SCHOOLS SO WHY WOULDN'T A COACH WEIGH HIS OPTIONS . BE PROUD WE ARE COMPETING
WITH BIG SCHOOLS FOR COACHES & PLAYERS . WE NEED TO LOOK AND SEE WHAT THE REST OF THE NATION IS SEEING
NUTT IS WELL RESPECTED ON THE NATIONAL LEVEL .ARE WE WEARING BLINDERS  MAYBE ! TIME WILL TELL . NUTT MAY HAVE HURT HIS FUTURE BY STAYING HERE .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins