Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Matt continues to wow NFL scouts . . .

Started by WizardofhOgZ, March 17, 2005, 01:33:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

After reading today's media articles about Matt's performance at yesterday's Pro workout at DWRRS, I took another look at the combine numbers posted by others for comparison.

Out of the 300 + that were at the combine, Matt's 5-10-5 shuttle time of 4.1 was bettered by 32 players.  Of those, only 6 came close to Matt's size (the rest were DB/WR types).  Included in that group are premier athletes such as Alex Smith (6'4", 217 lbs) , Derrick Johnson (6'3", 242 lbs) and David Pollack (6'2", 265 lbs).  As I understand it, this is a test of "quickness in space" - i.e., one-on-one situations.  Of course, those confrontations are not just about speed - instinct and innate athletic ability (i.e., the "knack" of having someone zig when you zag) are not measurable.

On the other hand, Jones' "L-cones" (a combination of lateral and straight line speed) time of 6.65 was the fourth fastest among all those tested.  The three that finished ahead of him were all in the 6'0", 190 LB range - including Carlor Rogers of Auburn.  For those that saw the Senior Bowl practice highlights that were played when the NFL network was talking about Matt after he smoked his second 40 at the combine, Rogers was the corner MJ abused with his one-handed catch in the EZ.  Rogers looked like a fly trying to defend a giraffe.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/combine.php?&sortorder=cone&order=DESC

At this point, I'm convinced that Matt will go in the second half of the second round to - as Clay Henry speculated several days ago - a "better" team that can use him in specific roles to great effectiveness.  I'd say he'd be your 3rd team QB, saving a roster spot.  If it were MY team, I'd have a QB package for him anyway, to use in critical short yardage and/or goal line situations.  As much as I have admired "Matt the QB" during his years at Arkansas, I'm not convinced he would be nearly as effective as an "everyday QB" in the NFL, because either (1) he'd have to try to conform to the role of a traditional drop-back passer, and I'm not sure his shoulder or his passing game would hold up at the NFL level in that role; or (2) a team would adapt their offense to take advantage of his considerable skills - to include running the ball.  In that situation, I'm afraid he could not stand up to the pounding he would take from NFL DL and LB's (this is consistently given as the reason why "option football" would never work in the NFL).

Having said that, I strongly believe that an ocassional "dash" of MJ in a goal-line offense would put tremendous pressure on the defense, just as it has here at Arkansas for 4 years.  The defense will not have seen anything like him and will not have time to get adjusted to him if he just plays every now and then.  This affords a good team a dimension that no one else would have.  Meanwhile, he'd be doing his Randy Moss imitation the rest of the game.

I have never been as excited about any rookie coming into the league as I am MJ (the closest would have been Anthony Lucas, who - tragically - never got a chance to be healthy enough to show what he could do).  I will definitely watch more NFL football this year than I have in decades.

urhogdaddi

Hogs,....Nutt,......Heath,......Polish Sausage

muslimsdonteatme

Patriots will grab him with the last pick of the first round, and playing for Belichick will be the best thing that could happen to MJ.

3kgthog

Won't happen. The Pats' secondary is even further depleted with the recent release of Ty Law and Troy Brown.  They need help there before they need another WR/TE/deep snapper/3rd string QB.

muslimsdonteatme

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 17, 2005, 06:50:17 pm
Won't happen. The Pats' secondary is even further depleted with the recent release of Ty Law and Troy Brown. They need help there before they need another WR/TE/deep snapper/3rd string QB.

They'll play him at DB.  Watch the Pats sometime.

RebelliousHog

QuoteThey'll play him at DB.  Watch the Pats sometime.

I've mentioned this on other posts. With his speed,size and weight MJ matches up well with recievers in the NFL. The question would be: would he be willing to hit on run support or after a catch is made?
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

Fatty McGee

Quote from: maintube on March 17, 2005, 08:56:23 pm
QuoteThey'll play him at DB. Watch the Pats sometime.

I've mentioned this on other posts. With his speed,size and weight MJ matches up well with recievers in the NFL. The question would be: would he be willing to hit on run support or after a catch is made?

It would be at least a full season before Matt would be ready to play DB. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

muslimsdonteatme

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 17, 2005, 09:18:21 pm
Quote from: maintube on March 17, 2005, 08:56:23 pm
QuoteThey'll play him at DB. Watch the Pats sometime.

It would be at least a full season before Matt would be ready to play DB.

Not full-time, that's for sure.

I'm not going native, so don't take me wrong, but I REALLY hope Belichick gets his hands on Jones.  He'll play that guy all over the field, in spot situations, all designed to utilize his skills in an optimal manner.
He'll put Jones in as a fifth DB on one play, and have Brady chuck the ball deep to him two plays later.  Pull him out, and then use him for a trick play three plays after that.

With the right coach, Jones will develop into a superstar.

junkyardhog

With the right coach, Jones will develop into a superstar.

I agree, but replace just one word in this sentence. The word should be changed from "coach" to "attitude"!

tophawg19

M.J  would be a good fit for atlanta .he is similar to micheal vick . sometimes WOW sometimes WHAT THE HLL WAS HE THINKING
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Boner

Wiz-

Do you have a link to those shuttle and L-cone times?

muslimsdonteatme

muslimsdonteatme