Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another cultural difference.....

Started by WindyCityHog, March 16, 2005, 08:39:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WindyCityHog

....that nobody talks about.

St. Patrick's Day.

It's a genuine holiday up here.  With the last name of "Terry", I get treated like a God.  Chicago dyes the Chicago River green, and the bars overflow....

Corned beef and cabbage.....especially in my household.   My father-in-law was from Belfast (chased over here because he wouldn't join the IRA), and my wife flies the Irish flag proudly.

Any other Irishmen here? 

pioneerhog

I'm a few generations out of Ireland, If I remember right my great great grandpa came here from Ireland.

maniax22bolts20

Ancestor was Irish Navy hero so this is a big holiday for me as well. Too bad I can't claim it as a paid holiday and get the pay/night off huh. Best Irish/St.Patricks Day feast in Little Rock is usually Kellys Bistro on far West Markham between Shackleford and Chenal.

WindyCityHog

It's a paid holiday for me.....although secretly, I enjoy the opening round of the NCAA tourney more.....but I drink more because of the Hog abscence :'(

hawkeyefan17

I celebrate St. Patrick's Day every year by blarring U2 (my favorite band in the world) all day and drinking Killian's Irish Red.

Porkahontas

I'm big-time Irish. My grandpa came over here after a spat with his dad and the woman he married (my grandma) has a parent from Ireland, also.

Looking forward to tomorrow. Well, except for 3 tests before Spring Break.

Lanny

Oh where do I even start.  My mother-in-laws last name is Kelley my wife is a Red Head and meaner than a cease and desist order.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Boared

I have some Irish ancestry on my father's side, but have Scottish ancestry on both sides (but who am I kidding, I'm a Western European and American Indian mutt), so I'll probably get drunk and beat myself up.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Hoggysoprano on March 16, 2005, 08:50:47 pm
Quote from: WindyCityHog on March 16, 2005, 08:39:41 pm
....that nobody talks about.

St. Patrick's Day.

It's a genuine holiday up here. With the last name of "Terry", I get treated like a God. Chicago dyes the Chicago River green, and the bars overflow....

Corned beef and cabbage.....especially in my household. My father-in-law was from Belfast (chased over here because he wouldn't join the IRA), and my wife flies the Irish flag proudly.

Any other Irishmen here?

i will be in Eureka Springs to celebrate Saint Patricks Day. The have a parade and a great Irish pub the Pied Piper. It's always a good time.

I'll give your picture to my friends at the PD.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

WindyCityHog

Damn Fatty...I should have known.

....and hSV....I know where you're coming from....Good Lord.   My wife is as red-headed as you can get.....with a temper to match...

Happy St. Patrick's Day to all.....

Doug

Quote from: WindyCityHog on March 16, 2005, 08:39:41 pmAny other Irishmen here?
Take a look at my avatar (it's not my usual one) and take a wild guess, lad.  :D

Quote from: hSv on March 16, 2005, 09:11:53 pmOh where do I even start. My mother-in-laws last name is Kelley my wife is a Red Head and meaner than a cease and desist order.
Inside joke by hSv.  Bud, I have NO comment, just sheer maniacal laughter here.  :D

Suds up, lads!
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

WindyCityHog

**%*& Douglas.....You'll get your arse kicked for equating lowly Scots with the Irish....unless you're a highlander ;)

Doug

I am Scottish AND Irish, get over yourself.  ::chuckles::
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

WindyCityHog

We laugh....but I can take you to a few bars on Milwaukee Ave. in Chicago where the comparison (spoken) will get your arse kicked....No love between the 2 (William Wallace be darned)....

It's a different world in the cities ;)

Silence O the Hams

St. Paddys day.....good times indeed!  I too will be in Eureka that day.........this Pied Piper is where?  Near Wagon Wheel>?  Seems as if I have noticed it before.  Are there any places in Fayetteville that do it up right on St. Patricks day? 

Irish/Scottish, deal w/ it.

Happy green day!!

SOTH

HornetHog

WindyCityHog is not blowing smoke....take it from me....a born & raised Arkansan that thought cruising to the Pizza Hut was coolest thing in the world....and now live in Chicago as well.   It's colder than a Well diggers  as%$%$##..... but the Irish pride keeps it warm..its a pride that you'll never see down South.

Hornet Hog
Former Hog QB / National Private QB Coach QBFarm.com / Varsity HS Football Coach / Hog Fan since birth

Boared

With regards to Fayetteville, I would assume Micky Finn's is the place to be. It's Fayetteville's only Irish pub. It's not a meat-market, either. Just a pub to hang with your pals and have some pints while not yelling over the bands/music in order to hear each other. Nice place.

I'm not going down to Dickson, since I won't have a designated driver to bring me back. I'm celebrating with a few pints of Beamish Stout here at the apt and remembering how U2 was actually cool at one point, before they started cranking out adult contemporary fluff (Joshua Tree to the present).

sooie dog

They party hard here in KC.  I had never really celebrated until I moved hear but it's a real holiday.  It almost has a Mardi Gras feel to it.