Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Upsets, Upsets, Upsets......................

Started by bknight33, March 16, 2005, 01:45:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bknight33

March 16, 2005, 01:45:26 pm Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 09:02:17 am by bknight33
give me your top five upsets..........get your mind off this hog crap.  Give them in the order of confidence you have in them; upsets are lower seed defeating upper seed.

1) Nevada over Texas...............Nevada is the better team.  Texas has been struck by the injury bug.
2) St Mary's over S Illinois..............St Mary's is pumped about being an at large.....they can really shoot the three ball...........Salukis are impressive, but I just really like this team.
3) UTEP over Utah...............Doc's team has two great JUCO tranfers in Thomas and Riviera.  I have a non-sexual crush on Bogut( I make a point to never fall in love with an Austrailian) but I just think that the Miners have too much.
4) Pitt over Pacific.................Defense, Defense, Defense................Pitt may be the only team in the Albuquerque bracket that plays it. 
5) Iowa State over Minnesota.......dissapointing that these are the best five I could find.

Almosts........................but
1) TexasTech over UCLA.......UCLA has great inside presence which gives the Red Raiders trouble...Ross and Jackson will prevail for Coach Knight's first 1st round victory since the Bush era.
2) LSU over UAB....................If the LSU guards get caught up in the press, trouble for the Tigers.  If they get the ball to Bass and Davis, trouble for Coach A.
3) Arizona over Utah State.................this game will be closer than everyone expects;  Utah state can defend.  Arizona is rain or shine.   Look for a four point game.

The_Bionic_Pig

I agree but here are some changes...

1) Nevada over Texas...............Nevada is not the better team but they play better team ball and will beat the Longhorns.
2) St Mary's over S Illinois.... Naah can't see it ....Salukis are not going down that easy.
3) UTEP over Utah...............I think your right about this pick simply because teams underestimate them because of their schedule but they have a great coach.
4) Pitt over Pacific...Pitt Does play great defense but Pacific simply has too much Offense
5) Iowa State over Minnesota...... Iowa State in my opinion has played better conference competiton ...agree here.
1) TexasTech over UCLA.......UCLA plays in the "Pitiful Pac" which is composed of Arizona & Washington the rest are decent. 
2) LSU over UAB......Unless UAB can run them into the ground LSU in a blowout - because the Bengal Tigers have a very deep bench.
3) Arizona over Utah State - duh...lol :)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

sooie dog

1) Bama over Illinois in the sweet 16
2) Wisconsin over Kansas in the 2nd round
3) Pitt over Washington in the 2nd round
4) LSU over Arizona in the 2nd round
5) Iowa over Cincinnati in the 1st round

abq

I'll readily agree with UTEP over Utah. All UTEP has to do is shut down Bogut and Utah folds like it's their job.

PigPusher

March 16, 2005, 02:44:20 pm #4 Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 09:51:29 am by PigPusher
Say what you want about Coach Sutton, but here are a couple of truths.  True the coach had a drinking problem and has whipped it.  His team has a decent shot at the NC this year.  I would say this is progress. 

Everyone makes mistakes or gets into things that are not good for them.  It is what you do after the problem is rectified that counts.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

S.P.A.M. Hog

Quote from: PigPusher on March 16, 2005, 02:44:20 pm
Say what you want about Coach Sutton, but here are a couple of truths. True the coach had a drinking problem and has whipped it. His team has a decent shot at the NC this year. I would say this is progress.

Everyone makes mistakes or gets into things that are not good for them. It is what you do after the problem is retrofied that counts.

??? ??? :-\ Did I miss something in the thread?
Just as the dark ages passed, so will the effects of poor coaching for the last ten years. But more importantly the Razorback Nation will be unified.

The new era has begun...

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: Hogfanjr on March 16, 2005, 02:47:36 pm
Say what you want about Coach Sutton, but here are a couple of truths. True the coach had a drinking problem and has whipped it. His team has a decent shot at the NC this year. I would say this is progress.

Everyone makes mistakes or gets into things that are not good for them. It is what you do after the problem is retrofied that counts.

??? ??? :-\ Did I miss something in the thread?

i sure did......

how about this, i hope that alchy sutton loses in the first round

now just pretend that this message preceded the one in question......  ;D

HogInMemphis

Say what you want about Coach Sutton, but here are a couple of truths.  True the coach had a drinking problem and has whipped it.  His team has a decent shot at the NC this year.  I would say this is progress. 

Everyone makes mistakes or gets into things that are not good for them.  It is what you do after the problem is retrofied that counts.

Huh? Who said anything in this thread about Sutton? From your post, I'm guessing you may having a bit of a drinking problem yourself.

Retrofied? From what language is that word?

WindyCityHog

Quote from: bknight33 on March 16, 2005, 01:45:26 pm
give me your top five upsets..........get your mind off this hog crap. Give them in the order of confidence you have in them; upsets are lower seed defeating upper seed.

1) Nevada over Texas...............Nevada is the better team. Texas has been struck by the injury bug.
2) St Mary's over S Illinois..............St Mary's is pumped about being an at large.....they can really shoot the three ball...........Salukis are impressive, but I just really like this team.
3) UTEP over Utah...............Doc's team has two great JUCO tranfers in Thomas and Riviera. I have a non-sexual crush on Bogut( I make a point to never fall in love with an Austrailian) but I just think that the Miners have too much.
4) Pitt over Pacific.................Defense, Defense, Defense................Pitt may be the only team in the Albuquerque bracket that plays it.
5) Iowa State over Minnesota.......dissapointing that these are the best five I could find.

Almosts........................but
1) TexasTech over UCLA.......UCLA has great inside presence which gives the Red Raiders trouble...Ross and Jackson will prevail for Coach Knight's first 1st round victory since the Bush era.
2) LSU over UAB....................If the LSU guards get caught up in the press, trouble for the Tigers. If they get the ball to Bass and Davis, trouble for Coach A.
3) Arizona over Utah State

Good post....I like this....considering most of us (including me are still stewing about the plight of the Hog program).

I think Nevada pounds the Whorns.
I like Southern Illinois over St. Mary's....SIU is better than that...
Utah over UTEP....because of Bogut....He's for real.
Pacific over Pitt...can't articulate....just my feeling...Pacific may be the next Gonzaga.
Minnesota should beat Iowa State....

I'm surprised more aren't commenting on Vermont....this year's Valparaiso.....I'm going out on a limb....I think Vermont beats Syracuse....and Michigan State....there's always one Cinderella in the Sweet 16....Vermont is my choice.

hawkeyefan17

March 16, 2005, 03:33:24 pm #9 Last Edit: March 16, 2005, 03:36:32 pm by hawkeyefan17
Picking the 9 seed in the 8 vs. 9 game is not an upset.

Iowa State will beat Minnesota because Iowa State is the better team. Iowa State plays a Syracuse style 2-3 zone and no one in the Big 10 plays a zone on a regular basis. Heck Illinois had trouble with Iowa all year because Alford dropped a 1-3-1 on them pretty much the entire game both times.

I picked my Hawkeyes over the Bearcats because Bobby Huggins' team traditionally underachieve in tournament games. Iowa has not lost a first round tournament game since 1986, Alford does his best coaching in tournaments and against like opponents Iowa is 5-3 Cincinnati is 3-3.

Old Dominion will beat Michigan State because Michigan State has no point guard and we all know the tournament becomes all about guard play. Michigan State has not been playing well and has not been hitting free throws the way they normally do.

UW-Milwaukee might beat Alabama but I did not pick them because they do not have an answer for Chuck Davis inside. UW-Milwaukee presses to create their offense so an upset here would not surprise me.

Wisconsin will beat Northern Iowa in the first round because Wisconsin's slow it down, no transition, in your face defense will not allow Northern Iowa's three point shooters to get open for threes. Wisconsin beat Kansas in the second round, Kansas never gets it done in the tournament.

If Northern Iowa controls tempo they beat Wisconsin but I don't see that happening.

Syracuse beats Duke in the sweet 16 because of their 2-3 zone and Duke has no depth. McNamara will match Reddick from 3 point range essentially  neutralizing the threat of Reddick.

Jaison Black

Quote from: Woo_Pig_Stewie on March 16, 2005, 01:58:08 pm

2) LSU over UAB......Unless UAB can run them into the ground LSU in a blowout - because the Bengal Tigers have a very deep bench.

did you watch any games with lsu in them this year?  lsu plays seven guys max.
I love my kids, but this is my baby.http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i303/razr76/Side.jpg

WindyCityHog

Forgive me....I'm all for UAB in that game.

junkyardhog

Can we get Eddie Sutton back after he retires? :)

PigPusher

Jesus guys where is the sense of humor???  Tread subjects get modified all the time.  Just thought I would try my hand at it.  :) :)

Rectrofied: A Derivative of rectitude having to do with moral uprightness or rectified as you wish. Jeez lighten up a bit.  ;) ;) ;)
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

PigPusher

Quote from: HogInMemphis on March 16, 2005, 03:05:58 pm

Everyone makes mistakes or gets into things that are not good for them.  It is what you do after the problem is retrofied that counts.

Huh? Who said anything in this thread about Sutton? From your post, I'm guessing you may having a bit of a drinking problem yourself.

Retrofied? From what language is that word?

And was that a personal attack?  Me drink?  Not enough to float the fleas on your head my friend.

bknight33

Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on March 16, 2005, 03:33:24 pm

Iowa State will beat Minnesota because Iowa State is the better team. Iowa State plays a Syracuse style 2-3 zone and no one in the Big 10 plays a zone on a regular basis. Heck Illinois had trouble with Iowa all year because Alford dropped a 1-3-1 on them pretty much the entire game both times.

I picked my Hawkeyes over the Bearcats because Bobby Huggins' team traditionally underachieve in tournament games. Iowa has not lost a first round tournament game since 1986, Alford does his best coaching in tournaments and against like opponents Iowa is 5-3 Cincinnati is 3-3.

Old Dominion will beat Michigan State because Michigan State has no point guard and we all know the tournament becomes all about guard play. Michigan State has not been playing well and has not been hitting free throws the way they normally do.

UW-Milwaukee might beat Alabama but I did not pick them because they do not have an answer for Chuck Davis inside. UW-Milwaukee presses to create their offense so an upset here would not surprise me.

Wisconsin will beat Northern Iowa in the first round because Wisconsin's slow it down, no transition, in your face defense will not allow Northern Iowa's three point shooters to get open for threes. Wisconsin beat Kansas in the second round, Kansas never gets it done in the tournament.

If Northern Iowa controls tempo they beat Wisconsin but I don't see that happening.

Syracuse beats Duke in the sweet 16 because of their 2-3 zone and Duke has no depth. McNamara will match Reddick from 3 point range essentially  neutralizing the threat of Reddick.

First of all, I agree that 8-9 games are really not upsets, but I was so hard pressed to find some, what the heck.   UW.Mil has no chance against Alabama.  They like to play an up tempo pressing style.  I think we all know how good of athletes Coach Godfired has; Alabama wins handily.  I agree with what you said about Iowa State, especially comparing their zone to that of Syracuse.  Old Dominion is very talented, but I just think coaching takes over here.  Michigan St by 8-10 points.  Wisconsin-N Iowa will be a great game.  There are a lot of games, like this, that I think will be extremely close.  I expect almost all first round games to be competetive (6-10 points).  However, I just do not see a lot of first round upsets.

My Final four:
Illinois
Syracuse
Florida
Louisville

hawkeyefan17

Bknight33, I like you response and I like your final four.

I picked:
Illinois
Louisville
North Carolina
Syracuse

Illinois beats North Carolina in the Championship game.

A 12 always beats a 5

I can't wait for the games to get going.

bknight33

Me either.  I am always proven wrong.  But that is what makes this thing so great.  You know, it always seems like the lower seeded teams playing at 11 AM just come out on fire.  Always gets everyone hoping.  Dont you just love an underdog!! Anyone on this board would trade a 1-16 upset for their bracket.  I know I would.

Pragmatic PiG

I have:

Penn over BC
Creighton over WVU
Nc ST over Charlotte (not really an upset to me)
ODU over MSU
UTEP over Utah

a little over an hour to go........ :o

Pragmatic PiG

seth davis of cbs just loudly exclaimed that wisc/GB will beat bama........

i am confident that prediction secures a bama win  ;)

Pragmatic PiG

bama down 17-9 early, feeling a little less confident but its early 

gatecrasher

Alabama down 17 (32-15) midway throughthe first half!!!

CycloneHog

I like Northern Iowa over Wisconsin.  Too bad the game isn't in the UNI-Dome!

bknight33

Quote from: bknight33 on March 17, 2005, 09:09:07 am
Quote from: hawkeyefan17 on March 16, 2005, 03:33:24 pm

Syracuse beats Duke in the sweet 16 because of their 2-3 zone and Duke has no depth. McNamara will match Reddick from 3 point range essentially neutralizing the threat of Reddick.

First of all, I agree that 8-9 games are really not upsets, but I was so hard pressed to find some, what the heck. UW.Mil has no chance against Alabama. They like to play an up tempo pressing style. I think we all know how good of athletes Coach Godfired has; Alabama wins handily. I agree with what you said about Iowa State, especially comparing their zone to that of Syracuse. Old Dominion is very talented, but I just think coaching takes over here. Michigan St by 8-10 points. Wisconsin-N Iowa will be a great game. There are a lot of games, like this, that I think will be extremely close. I expect almost all first round games to be competetive (6-10 points). However, I just do not see a lot of first round upsets.

My Final four:
Illinois
Syracuse
Florida
Louisville
Quote from: bknight33 on March 17, 2005, 10:00:12 am
Me either. I am always proven wrong. But that is what makes this thing so great. You know, it always seems like the lower seeded teams playing at 11 AM just come out on fire. Always gets everyone hoping. Dont you just love an underdog!! Anyone on this board would trade a 1-16 upset for their bracket. I know I would.

At halftime, my guarantees are already being flushed down the drain.  Alabama has no problem with UM?  What was I thinking?