Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jim Robken......

Started by FedUpWithNutt, November 24, 2007, 05:31:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FedUpWithNutt

November 24, 2007, 05:31:18 pm Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 05:56:01 pm by FedUpWithNutt
I found this thread from earlier this year.

He was the man for Razorback basketball pep bands!!    He was awesome.  I wish we could get something like that going again for home games!!l    Anyone got any ideas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09BfWjFs9n4

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=131458.0

Oklahawg

Its a great thought. You're entering into hallowed grounds -- academic vs athletic department wars. We likely will never see another Robken, a director essentially hired by the athletic department to meet their needs and handed to the music department.

Sad. I know several very, very well who could be a HUGE improvement over the current rabble.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 24, 2007, 11:31:53 pm
Its a great thought. You're entering into hallowed grounds -- academic vs athletic department wars. We likely will never see another Robken, a director essentially hired by the athletic department to meet their needs and handed to the music department.

Sad. I know several very, very well who could be a HUGE improvement over the current rabble.

IMO, one of the contributors to the apathy permeating BWA the last few years has been the fossilized direction of the Hog Wild band.  It looks like they keep trying to recycle the same stale atmosphere from the mid-90's, with none of the spirit. 

The band needs to take a long, hard look at how things are done at Duke, et  al and get with the program.
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

40MINSOFHELL

November 25, 2007, 10:03:29 am #3 Last Edit: November 25, 2007, 10:07:17 am by 40MINSOFPEL
does duke even have a band?

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: 40MINSOFPEL on November 25, 2007, 10:03:29 am
does duke even have a band?

Uh, yeah... they're the heart and soul of the Cameron Crazies - ever heard of them?
Prefrontal lobotomies are not to be performed without the written consent of the patient

slopinhogs

doubt there wiill ever be another robken , he was awesome :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Fort Swine

The band sits behind the Guest end goal.  With them and the students, Cameron Indoor is a great place for college basketball.  The Bud could be that place.  Too bad the "Spirit of Barnhill" is JUST a vase on the first floor of the arena and not the true spirit.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

Dr Swineglove

Quote from: Fort Swine on November 25, 2007, 02:05:24 pm
The band sits behind the Guest end goal.  With them and the students, Cameron Indoor is a great place for college basketball.  The Bud could be that place.  Too bad the "Spirit of Barnhill" is JUST a vase on the first floor of the arena and not the true spirit.

The BAC tried to turn Razorback bball into a program-supporting goldmine, and in the process they sterilized the whole experience.  It's aggravating seeing the student still performing the same ole 'what's that smell?/'who's she?' canned antics students were doing twenty years ago.

Our student section should look to the Cameron Crazies for inspiration and do something original, tailored to each opposing team.  The atmosphere has been nothing like it was in Barnhill for more than a decade now.  Hopefully things are at last changing for the better...

Fort Swine

Quote from: Dr Swineglove on November 25, 2007, 02:45:41 pm
The BAC tried to turn Razorback bball into a program-supporting goldmine, and in the process they sterilized the whole experience.  It's aggravating seeing the student still performing the same ole 'what's that smell?/'who's she?' canned antics students were doing twenty years ago.

Our student section should look to the Cameron Crazies for inspiration and do something original, tailored to each opposing team.  The atmosphere has been nothing like it was in Barnhill for more than a decade now.  Hopefully things are at last changing for the better...

When I was there in the mid-90's, it was a great place to go and watch basketball.  The fans were into the game, the band got the students fired up, and the Bud was a difficult place to come in and play.  I remember throwing snowballs at Kentucky as they were walking in.

I went to a few games last year, and it was a subdued atmosphere.  You were not fired up, the student section was full but not active, and the fans were just happy to be there.  There needs to be a change.  Take the signs away from the little director and get back to the job at hand - getting the crowd fired up.
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - General George S. Patton, Jr.

rljjr

I think having a more energetic team will take care of a lot of that ... I hope. I think the lack of atmosphere is sometimes related to the team's demeanor. So, with a fiery coach, perhaps the Bud will be more like the Barn! WPS!

dhornjr1

Boy, that makes me miss Jim Robken.