Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New cut at an old argument

Started by Biggus Piggus, August 10, 2007, 01:36:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

Some people like to claim that Arkansas's never been exceptionally good at football for very long, so we shouldn't have very high expectations, know our lot in life, etc.

Winning %:

1970-74 63.4%
1975-79 78.0%
1980-84 64.4%
1985-89 78.7%
1990-94 39.3%
1995-99 55.9%
2000-04 58.1%
2005-06 56.0%

Arkansas did sustain a higher winning percentage from 1970-89 when most of that time the SWC was one of the top three conferences in the country.

But that alone is not what irks many Hog fans.  Why was Ken Hatfield disliked by so many despite his obvious success?  Because when his Hogs did lose, it had a lot to do with three recurrent factors:

1) His recruiting approach left the team chronically thin on depth and heavily dependent on a few anchor stars.
2) His passing game was anachronistic in its simplicity, his offense fatally limited by predictability, and he turned severely conservative in many big games arguably turning possible victory into defeat.
3) His special teams deteriorated until they were inferior to those of his predecessors.

Razorback fans have been waiting since the 1970s to see their team move back toward college football's offensive mainstream, instead of lying out on the conservative fringe.  Jack Crowe was overpromoted in a Broylesean panic, but the old head coach seemed to indict all modernism for that failure.  Danny Ford was a massive swing back to thudball.  Four years of that, and Broyles was so keen on getting back to the future, he forced a wildass CFL offensive coach onto Ford's back.

Houston Nutt was supposed to be the guy who added the blend of old and new to the Arkansas offensive stables.  For three years, he did just that.  But he never recruited for it, and when Ford's skill players were gone we had mostly pluggers to go with some huge run-blockers, fine tailbacks and a running QB.

Nutt's fateful mistake in his early seasons as Arkansas coach was his failure to stock up the passing game.  In some cases, he and recruiting coordinator Fitz Hill were hoodwinked on player evaluation.  In others, they whiffed in pursuing blue-chips.  When it came to QBs in particular, Nutt was slow to recognize the urgency of his situation.  Ford had loaded the roster with a long list of what would turn out to be duds.  Robbie Hampton transferred in, and Gary Brashears got Parade hullabaloo.

On top of all this, Hill left for a head coaching job late in recruiting the 2001 crop, which was good but would have been awesome had Hill managed to land the stud receivers he was chasing.  When Hill left, Nutt hired George Pugh in order to sign Ahmad Carroll.  The offensive side of the class largely poofed, and Pugh turned out to be a serious liability as chief of recruiting.

It's not often that a coach gets a second chance to revolutionize the offense of a major college football program.  Credibility is the main problem: Even Joe Paterno had trouble persuading prospects that he was going to modernize the offense, after years of staidness.

Eight years in, Nutt was recruiting for his career, yet he was prepared to walk away from most of the Springdale 5, including the hottest in-state QB recruit in generations, Mitch Mustain.  Key boosters forced Nutt to hire Springdale coach Gus Malzahn and allow him to bring in his blue-chip stars, Mustain, Damian Williams and Ben Cleveland.

The big disconnect here is that Nutt no longer was committed to modernizing the Razorback offense, but many fans had lived through this many times before.  It's such a simple dream, to never lose another game for want of a timing pattern.

When Malzahn, Mustain, Williams, Cleveland and Andrew Norman came in, most Razorback fans thought the long-awaited revolution was at hand.  Little did they know the circumstances of Malzahn's hiring, that their head coach and most of his staff were aligned against the intruders, that this bloc viewed the Springdale intrusion as an anti-Nutt conspiracy from the "North."

It has been a very, very long time since Arkansas was significant on the college football horizon.  For once, just once, I'd like to see someone in Fayetteville try building toward an offense that is within earshot of state of the football art.  One more lip service effort won't ever be viewed as credible.
[CENSORED]!

Hawgz4Life

NoMoreNutt

"Gabriel's trumpet will produce you from the ass of a pig!"- Al Swearengen

slopinhogs

the runt always gets the hind tit but i'm tired of that. we should be the boar of this conference and everyone should get a chill when they know we are coming to town all the way up to the oh darn factor.

if it takes coaching to get us there lets get it done. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

Oliver

"2) His passing game was anachronistic in its simplicity, his offense fatally limited by predictability, and he turned severely conservative in many big games arguably turning possible victory into defeat."

While I hate to excuse Nutt for his poor play calling and handling of the offense, hasn't this been the problem with just about every coach/offensive coordinator that we've had for quite a while.  When was the last time we had an offense that just wowed opponents and the fans with it's creativity?

hogsanity

Quote from: Oliver Miller on August 10, 2007, 01:57:17 pm
"2) His passing game was anachronistic in its simplicity, his offense fatally limited by predictability, and he turned severely conservative in many big games arguably turning possible victory into defeat."

While I hate to excuse Nutt for his poor play calling and handling of the offense, hasn't this been the problem with just about every coach/offensive coordinator that we've had for quite a while.  When was the last time we had an offense that just wowed opponents and the fans with it's creativity?

I still contend that at some point prior to or during the 2000 season JFB mandated that HDn retunr to "arkansas Fb" which is smashmouth.  AT the time, HDN did not have the desire to risk being fired by going against JFB, and did not have enough of a d1 reputation to be able to quit and go get another job of equal or better value.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WilsonHog

Quote from: hogsanity on August 10, 2007, 02:02:16 pm
AT the time, HDN did not have the desire to risk being fired by going against JFB, and did not have enough of a d1 reputation to be able to quit and go get another job of equal or better value.

The same statement applied in December of 2005.

The Marmot

I still contend that at some point prior to or during the 2000 season JFB mandated that HDn retunr to "arkansas Fb" which is smashmouth.  AT the time, HDN did not have the desire to risk being fired by going against JFB, and did not have enough of a d1 reputation to be able to quit and go get another job of equal or better value.

So Nutt's backbone was removed, bronzed and now sits in JFBs trophy case.

Sorry, couldn't resist. GO HOGS!!!
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 10, 2007, 02:04:29 pm
AT the time, HDN did not have the desire to risk being fired by going against JFB, and did not have enough of a d1 reputation to be able to quit and go get another job of equal or better value.

The same statement applied in December of 2005.

YEP
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Oliver

I think that is a very credible theory.  And 1995 is another great example Wilson.

Silver Hog

Quote from: The Marmot on August 10, 2007, 02:06:01 pm

So Nutt's backbone was removed, bronzed and now sits in JFBs trophy case.

Sorry, couldn't resist. GO HOGS!!!

That is why he was flopped over sideways in that video interview we saw.

Stella

Quote from: opineonswine on August 10, 2007, 01:53:37 pm
Interestingly, I note in todays Morning News of NWA that even Pea Ridge has abandoned the Dead T for a new spread offense.  Most high schools in NWA run some version now of Gus' spread offense.  It's the wave of the future...heck it's the here and now....and most players want to play that kind of ball.  Only the ancient JFB, DMW, MSM and the Nuttzis want to think it's 1965 and keep living in the past.

Not only is it fun to play in, that offense is just plain fun to watch!

razorbass

That's just it we haven't and what make people think that firing HDN would make any difference, It would be the same old three or four years and let's get rid of this so called coach!

Oliver

Quote from: razorbass on August 10, 2007, 02:19:53 pm

That's just it we haven't and what make people think that firing HDN would make any difference, It would be the same old three or four years and let's get rid of this so called coach!

Just because we've failed at it in the past doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to try to succeed at it.  Especially since the fossil is retiring at the end of this year.

RazorsEdge

I can't sit here (picturing Nutt on the sidelines chewing his hand off) and think Nutt would like to take more risks offensively.

HangTenHog

Quote from: Stella on August 10, 2007, 02:13:25 pm
Interestingly, I note in todays Morning News of NWA that even Pea Ridge has abandoned the Dead T for a new spread offense.  Most high schools in NWA run some version now of Gus' spread offense.  It's the wave of the future...heck it's the here and now....and most players want to play that kind of ball.  Only the ancient JFB, DMW, MSM and the Nuttzis want to think it's 1965 and keep living in the past.

Did any of you catch the interview on ESPN radio yesterday with the Coach of Boise St? It was interesting as the announcer mentioned something about them needing to go to a more traditional, less innovative offense now that "they've arrived at the big time". The coach just said, we will continue to run the offense we've always run, the players have bought into the system AND ITS A WHOLE LOT MORE FUN TO RUN.

Let me ask you...what is a high school stud going to want to do....play in a plodding offense, or one that is fun? We have tradition, we have the support (I'm not talking about the coach), we just don't have any fun. Bring the 21st century to our team and I expect we'll all be surprised at how well it does.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Problem is if HDN is still there in 2015 we still still be hearing the same thing.  passing game promises.  I don't want to hear it anymore.  Freaking show me.
Let's make some waves.

hogsanity

Quote from: HangTenHog on August 10, 2007, 02:27:36 pm

Did any of you catch the interview on ESPN radio yesterday with the Coach of Boise St? It was interesting as the announcer mentioned something about them needing to go to a more traditional, less innovative offense now that "they've arrived at the big time". The coach just said, we will continue to run the offense we've always run, the players have bought into the system AND ITS A WHOLE LOT MORE FUN TO RUN.

Let me ask you...what is a high school stud going to want to do....play in a plodding offense, or one that is fun? We have tradition, we have the support (I'm not talking about the coach), we just don't have any fun. Bring the 21st century to our team and I expect we'll all be surprised at how well it does.

TT runs a "fun" offense.  Only problem, it gets killed whenever they play a half decent defense.

HangTenHog

Not if we, once and for all, got the right coach.

hogsanity

Quote from: hogfanintx on August 10, 2007, 02:28:28 pm
Problem is if HDN is still there in 2015 we still still be hearing the same thing.  passing game promises.  I don't want to hear it anymore.  Freaking show me.

I hope they do show you.  I hope they throw 50 times a game.  Then you guys can complain about dmac not getting the ball enough. 

Oliver

Quote from: hogsanity on August 10, 2007, 02:31:16 pm
Quote from: hogfanintx on August 10, 2007, 02:28:28 pm
Problem is if HDN is still there in 2015 we still still be hearing the same thing.  passing game promises.  I don't want to hear it anymore.  Freaking show me.

I hope they do show you.  I hope they throw 50 times a game.  Then you guys can complain about dmac not getting the ball enough. 

That would depend on whether DMAC was the one throwing the ball.

razorbass

Y
Quote from: Oliver Miller on August 10, 2007, 02:23:54 pm

Just because we've failed at it in the past doesn't mean we shouldn't continue to try to succeed at it.  Especially since the fossil is retiring at the end of this year.
Your right since Frank is Retiring It may work, but we still don't know how much power he will have over the football program. Remember he still will be lurking around and if you can't trust the Athletic Board when he was th AD what makes you think you can trust them now? ???

RazorsEdge

Quote from: hogsanity on August 10, 2007, 02:28:57 pm

TT runs a "fun" offense.  Only problem, it gets killed whenever they play a half decent defense.
Are you suggesting they would be better off without it?

oldbooniehog

Hogsanity, you may not believe this, but I AGREE with you on a point.

Nutt went back to "Arkansas football" at the behest of JFB.

Broyles' total refusal to let go of the football program, and keep his meddling old hands off it is at the heart of all the problems with the football program right now.

The only difference between Hatfield and Nutt is this.

Hatfield had enough of a spine to tell Frank to stick it, and leave.

Nutt doesn't have any spine, and does whatever JFB tells him to do.

Nutt has said, personally, that he checked with JFB first before giving Mustain his transfer. Nutt said that in a newspaper article.

JFB said publically that Arkansas didn't have a "top coach" and would not have a "top coach" because Arkansas was only 8th or 9th in fund-raising potential in the SEC.

JFB can publically say that Nutt is not a "top coach" and Nutt just takes it.

Nutt just takes it because he knows, at heart, that it is true.

One point I disagree with you totally is that Arkansas fans want to see it thrown 50 times a game.

I would like to see once, just once, for Arkansas' passing game to be rated, oh, say 50th in the nation or higher.

Heck, for once, I'd like to see the passing game get rated somewhere in the top 70.

But being 108th ranked out of 119 Division I teams is not acceptable at all.

obh

WilsonHog

August 10, 2007, 02:45:29 pm #24 Last Edit: August 10, 2007, 02:47:58 pm by WilsonHog
You know what would be nice?

A 2:00 minute offense that was more imaginative than giving the ball to D-Mac and hoping he'll break an 80-yard run. Or two 40-yards runs. That would be nice.

That's why I knew we had absolutely no chance on the last possession against LSU last year.

If at any time this fall you see that there is approximately 2:00 on the clock and we need to go the length of the field to score, the smartest thing for you to do is to look at the person sitting next to you and say, "We're beat."

It would be great to have a passing offense sophisticated enough and a quarterback competent enough to be in that situation - one where the other team KNOWS we have to pass to win - and still be able to get the job done. 

Oliver

Quote from: RazorsEdge on August 10, 2007, 02:42:56 pm

TT would be better off with a balanced offense.  Nobody is afraid of their run game, just like nobody is afraid of our passing game.  When Texas Tech plays against a good defense, they can't win...the same goes for us.  You can't run the type of offenses that Texas Tech and Arkansas run and expect them to take you significant places.

hogsanity

Quote from: oldbooniehog on August 10, 2007, 02:43:34 pm
Hogsanity, you may not believe this, but I AGREE with you on a point.

Nutt went back to "Arkansas football" at the behest of JFB.

Broyles' total refusal to let go of the football program, and keep his meddling old hands off it is at the heart of all the problems with the football program right now.

The only difference between Hatfield and Nutt is this.

Hatfield had enough of a spine to tell Frank to stick it, and leave.

Nutt doesn't have any spine, and does whatever JFB tells him to do.

Nutt has said, personally, that he checked with JFB first before giving Mustain his transfer. Nutt said that in a newspaper article.

JFB said publically that Arkansas didn't have a "top coach" and would not have a "top coach" because Arkansas was only 8th or 9th in fund-raising potential in the SEC.

JFB can publically say that Nutt is not a "top coach" and Nutt just takes it.

Nutt just takes it because he knows, at heart, that it is true.

One point I disagree with you totally is that Arkansas fans want to see it thrown 50 times a game.

I would like to see once, just once, for Arkansas' passing game to be rated, oh, say 50th in the nation or higher.

Heck, for once, I'd like to see the passing game get rated somewhere in the top 70.

But being 108th ranked out of 119 Division I teams is not acceptable at all.

obh

Hatfield, IMO, left because he had a chance to get out ( much like HDN may have been looking for last year ).  Look at the shape Hatfield left the program in.  The cupboard was bare.  Now, he may have wanted out because of JFB interferring, I am sure it was part of it. 

The 50 pass thing was just to show that it wont matter what mix of plays they run, some people will not be happy.

Oliver

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 10, 2007, 02:45:29 pm

A 2:00 minute offensive that was more imaginative that giving the ball to D-Mac and hoping he'll break an 80-yard run. Or two 40-yards runs. That would be nice.

That's why I knew we had absolutely no chance on the last possession against LSU last year.

If at any time this fall you see that there is approximately 2:00 on the clock and we need to go the length of the field to score, the smartest thing for you to do is to look at the person sitting next to you and say, "We're beat."

It would be great to have a passing offense sophisticated enough and a quarterback competent enough to be in that situation - one where the other team KNOWS we have to pass to win - and still be able to get the job done. 

I said that last year and many years before.  The only time I never really said that is when we had Matt Jones.  It wasn't because HDN could call or plan a two minute offense back then because he couldn't then either.  But, Matt Jones was such a freak of an athlete he could make things happen.  The Miracle on Markham and us scoring late in regulation against Tennessee (the one we lost in 6 OTs) are just a couple of examples.  Any other year, just write down a deficit with less than 2 minutes to go as a loss.

budcampbellfan

There was a time in Broyles hayday, that many of the highschools in Arkansas ran similar to the Razorback offense and defense schemes.  Can't do that now on offense with Nutt's ineptness.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

razorbass

Now that i do believe, JFB has been the one trying to run the football program since he quit coaching, and yes Hatfield did tell him to shove it. But we still had a divided fan base when he was here. until JFB is truly out of the picture, it will be that way.

hogsanity

I am not a TT fans, so to say they would be better off doing something else would be for a TT to say.  I have 2 cousins that went to TT, and they hate it because they know that Texas and OU will beat them 80-95% of the time with that style of play.  TT situation is much like ours.  The average everyday fan does not care.  The "hardcore" fans are divided, at best, over Leech because they know they are limited by the offense.

oldbooniehog

Hatfield "divided the fan base" with BACK TO BACK 10 WIN SEASONS.......or does anyone else remember?

Hatfield left because Frank told him to get rid of some assistant coaches, and Hatfield had had enough, and just left unexpectedly.

Also, it was widely reported by Arkansas media that the Broyles Athletic Complex had to go fetch Jack Crowe off the plane that was headed for Clemson.

obh

HognotinMemphis

What I see in those stats is that Arkansas stepped in well over its head when it joined the SEC. Moderate success in 3 out of 16 or 17 seasons is not what I consider to be competing.

Nutt has had the luck of a lottery winner in being at the right place at the right time as well as being a member of the "I'm a good ole boy from Arkansas" club. The right place was Boise St where he wasn't making much income and the right time was when the Hogs needed to get rid of Ford as well as the age of JFB. Not many people can rile an octogenarian enough to get themselves fired.

We are currently stuck with a head football coach who has to know that he cannot obtain a comparable job to the one he has now with either the income or with the prestige factor that comes with coaching in the SEC. Nutt could get his old job back at Murray St. but he is unhireable in the major conferences due to his lackluster record over 9 years along with all his shenanigans in the last couple of years.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

budcampbellfan

Quote from: oldbooniehog on August 10, 2007, 02:53:00 pm
Hatfield "divided the fan base" with BACK TO BACK 10 WIN SEASONS.......or does anyone else remember?

Hatfield left because Frank told him to get rid of some assistant coaches, and Hatfield had had enough, and just left unexpectedly.

Also, it was widely reported by Arkansas media that the Broyles Athletic Complex had to go fetch Jack Crowe off the plane that was headed for Clemson.

obh
Hatfield was mad and stopped recruiting well before he left.  If Broyles had been paying attention he would have known Hatfield was leaving.  JFB was already losing it.
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 10, 2007, 02:45:29 pm

A 2:00 minute offense that was more imaginative than giving the ball to D-Mac and hoping he'll break an 80-yard run. Or two 40-yards runs. That would be nice.

Exactly, Wilson.  Not asking for space age, not stone age, either.
[CENSORED]!

hogsanity

obh

Don't you remember how many people hated Hatfields offense?  Why?  They said it was boring ( sound familiar ). 

RazorsEdge

Quote from: Oliver Miller on August 10, 2007, 02:46:14 pm

TT would be better off with a balanced offense.  Nobody is afraid of their run game, just like nobody is afraid of our passing game.  When Texas Tech plays against a good defense, they can't win...the same goes for us.  You can't run the type of offenses that Texas Tech and Arkansas run and expect them to take you significant places.
I would never suggest a balanced offense isn't the best option.  I will suggest that since TTech is up against it in terms of recruiting (they will never out recruit Texas or A&M) the high flying circus offense gives them a better chance to win than a conventional offense. 

Mike Leach has a 63% winning record and has been to 7 straight bowl games (I add that part for the Nutt backers who like to crow about 6 straight)  They have been in the top 20 twice in Leach's 6 years.

Spike Dykes had a 55% winning percentage in 14 years.  Most of those years were in the SWC which people are quick to point out had few strong teams.  Spike had them in the top 25 twice during that time.

When you can't out-athlete someone, you have to out-strategy them.  You can't just line up with weaker athletes and expect to push the other team around.  Do you think Baylor would be willing to hire Leach and his offense?  They are 0-7 against Leach. 

As to being handled by OU and Texas every year, it's true.  I don't think you can only blame the offense.  At least they have a chance to always put some points on the board and a shot at winning.  Tech is 1-6 against those two teams.

RazorsEdge

Quote from: hogsanity on August 10, 2007, 02:59:25 pm

obh

Don't you remember how many people hated Hatfields offense?  Why?  They said it was boring ( sound familiar ). 
I disliked Hatfield's offense because you couldn't come from behind.  If you were down by 14, it took a lot of time to march the ball down the field.  Ken's teams were usually exposed in the bowl games.

Oliver

Quote from: RazorsEdge on August 10, 2007, 03:05:06 pm

I would never suggest a balanced offense isn't the best option.  I will suggest that since TTech is up against it in terms of recruiting (they will never out recruit Texas or A&M) the high flying circus offense gives them a better chance to win than a conventional offense. 

Mike Leach has a 63% winning record and has been to 7 straight bowl games (I add that part for the Nutt backers who like to crow about 6 straight)  They have been in the top 20 twice in Leach's 6 years.

Spike Dykes had a 55% winning percentage in 14 years.  Most of those years were in the SWC which people are quick to point out had few strong teams.  Spike had them in the top 25 twice during that time.

When you can't out-athlete someone, you have to out-strategy them.  You can't just line up with weaker athletes and expect to push the other team around.  Do you think Baylor would be willing to hire Leach and his offense?  They are 0-7 against Leach. 

As to being handled by OU and Texas every year, it's true.  I don't think you can only blame the offense.  At least they have a chance to always put some points on the board and a shot at winning.  Tech is 1-6 against those two teams.

Maybe Leech's offense and constant 8 and 9 win seasons is the best Texas Tech can do.  Many on here make that argument about HDN and us as well.  I don't believe any of it.  Texas Tech could probably challenge OU and Texas on a yearly basis if they improved their defense. 

hogsanity

Yep they will never out recruit Ou and TX.  I dont think we will ever out recruit LSU/GA/FLA  so both situations, as they pertain to winning titles, is hopeless?

RazorsEdge

I agree that a better defense would give them a better chance to win.  That is always the case for any team.  I am just trying to say Tech is better off with Leach than without him.

I watched OU and Boise in the Fiesta Bowl and loved how Boise never felt like they didn't have enough time to score.  They had confidence in their system and it worked.  I don't think Boise had better athletes than OU.

phadedhawg

saying we've never  been a consistant powerhouse isn't an arguement it is a fact...

a fact that I would like to see changed and I don't think Nutt can get it done....

Cartoon Man

Oliver

Quote from: hogsanity on August 10, 2007, 03:12:37 pm

Yep they will never out recruit Ou and TX.  I dont think we will ever out recruit LSU/GA/FLA  so both situations, as they pertain to winning titles, is hopeless?

John Blake pulled in way better recruiting classes to Oklahoma during 90's but Texas Tech whipped them in those years with far inferior recruiting classes.  So I wouldn't say that it was hopeless.

hogsanity

Quote from: Oliver Miller on August 10, 2007, 03:22:09 pm

John Blake pulled in way better recruiting classes to Oklahoma during 90's but Texas Tech whipped them in those years with far inferior recruiting classes.  So I wouldn't say that it was hopeless.

We used to beat Texas every once in a while too. 

Oliver

Quote from: RazorsEdge on August 10, 2007, 03:14:53 pm
I agree that a better defense would give them a better chance to win.  That is always the case for any team.  I am just trying to say Tech is better off with Leach than without him.

I watched OU and Boise in the Fiesta Bowl and loved how Boise never felt like they didn't have enough time to score.  They had confidence in their system and it worked.  I don't think Boise had better athletes than OU.

I agree with you to a certain point.  If I HAD TO CHOOSE between our offense or Boise State's or Texas Tech's offense, I would go with theirs everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.  However, I ultimately want a balanced offense.

RazorsEdge

I don't think it is hopeless, but you have to be a little more creative.  Take Reggie Herring's defensive philosophy for example.  You don't want to line up and let them run their plays like they did in practice all week.  Move some guys around, create a little confusion and make them adjust during the game.  Sure you might get burnt a few times, but you have to make them work for it.  That said, I think Reggie could mix it up a little better by playing zone on a few plays.  I liked it when Joe Lee Dunn was here too.  Take some chances and attack the other team, don't play the field position game all day.

RazorsEdge

I doubt there is a team in that conference (besides OU) who doesn't wish John Blake was still the Sooners' head coach.

Oliver

Quote from: hogsanity on August 10, 2007, 03:23:08 pm

We used to beat Texas every once in a while too. 

We won 13 SWC football titles (tied for 3rd) and 22 SWC basketball titles (tied for first with Texas).  I don't know if the phrase "once in a while" really applies to our situation and Texas Tech's situation.  By the way, Texas Tech won 2 SWC football titles and 6 basketball titles.

Oliver

Quote from: RazorsEdge on August 10, 2007, 03:27:59 pm
I doubt there is a team in that conference (besides OU) who doesn't wish John Blake was still the Sooners' head coach.

Terrible, terrible coach but a great recruiter.  While I think that Bob Stoops is an exceptional coach, it's hard to say he came in with a bare cupboard.