Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss QB Brent Schaeffer

Started by gohogs, August 08, 2007, 03:21:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bfosh

Smart move by them...he couldn't hit the broad side of the barn last year against us, even when he had some time.

hogsanity

Quote from: bfosh on August 08, 2007, 03:31:15 pm
Smart move by them...he couldn't hit the broad side of the barn last year against us, even when he had some time.

Another great Orgeron signing. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bomis Hawg

Quote from: hogsanity on August 08, 2007, 03:43:49 pm

Not the only one to sign him.

Schaeffer was beat out at QB by Seth Adams.  Brent was very subpar last year.  Hopefully, this could be win-win.  Instead of being the #2 QB, he can give them a target at WR -- something they lack.

Winner

"Little Vick" has fallen quite a ways from those first few games at Tennessee where he started as a true freshman. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on August 08, 2007, 03:48:06 pm

Schaeffer was beat out at QB by Seth Adams.  Brent was very subpar last year.  Hopefully, this could be win-win.  Instead of being the #2 QB, he can give them a target at WR -- something they lack.

Yes, but when he signed with them, people freaked with the " Man Orgeron knows how to get em" garbage. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Yes, but not only was he beat out, they must feel that whoever is now the backup is more capable of being one play away than Schaeffer. 

Bomis Hawg

Well, Ole Miss' recruiting classes lack substance.  It's all on paper.

jkcrunch

What he was promised to be a QB where is the justice?   insert sarcasm

jkcrunch

Quote from: Bomis Hawg on August 08, 2007, 03:51:40 pm
Well, Ole Miss' recruiting classes lack substance.  It's all on paper.

or lack paper allowing them to get into school

Mr. Perfect

Quote from: jkcrunch on August 08, 2007, 03:52:41 pm
Orgeron lies to recruits I thought that only happened at Arkansas.

Hawg Daddy Cool

Orgeron isn't going to be the coach there much longer.  They were a lot better off with David Cutcliffe.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Daddy Cool on August 08, 2007, 03:55:42 pm

Orgeron isn't going to be the coach there much longer.  They were a lot better off with David Cutcliffe.

Look at how many people crow on here about OM beating us in recruiting.  I hope, for the young mans sake, he finds some success at WR.

Winner

Quote from: hogsanity on August 08, 2007, 03:50:05 pm

Yes, but when he signed with them, people freaked with the " Man Orgeron knows how to get em" garbage. 

He was a five star recruit wasn't he?  I'd say people were justified in saying that was a good pickup at the time.  Just because he turned out to be not very good doesn't mean that Ogeron can't recruit.  Ogeron's got plenty of other faults to point out without taking on the one thing he does pretty well.

Winner

Quote from: Mr. Perfect on August 08, 2007, 03:55:03 pm
Quote from: jkcrunch on August 08, 2007, 03:52:41 pm
Orgeron lies to recruits I thought that only happened at Arkansas.

?  Schaeffer asked to try out at WR per the link.

Winner

Quote from: hogsanity on August 08, 2007, 03:51:19 pm

Yes, but not only was he beat out, they must feel that whoever is now the backup is more capable of being one play away than Schaeffer. 

You guys really need to read the link before posting.  The link said it was an experiment made at Schaeffer's request. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Winner on August 08, 2007, 04:02:08 pm

You guys really need to read the link before posting.  The link said it was an experiment made at Schaeffer's request. 

STARTTING SEC QB"S DO NOT ASK TO TRY WR unless they think they are going to lose their job.  HE got yanked at least twice last year, and all reports from OM spring practice and early camp this year show that he was not distinguishing himself, and was likely to get beat out for the starting spot.

cubbie

If you were a Hotdog would you eat yourself? I know I would.

tophawg19

your asking huggers to think first . ain't gonna happen . he may feel that he has a better shot at the nfl as a wr than as a qb. his skill at qb wasn't going to be nfl caliber . but at wr he may be able to play . that is likely why he made the request.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Winner

Quote from: hogsanity on August 08, 2007, 04:04:20 pm

STARTTING SEC QB"S DO NOT ASK TO TRY WR unless they think they are going to lose their job.  HE got yanked at least twice last year, and all reports from OM spring practice and early camp this year show that he was not distinguishing himself, and was likely to get beat out for the starting spot.

so where does it say that the coaches think that he's also going to fall behind the back up QB like you asserted?  is it possible that Schaeffer thinks his only future in the NFL is at WR, so he wants to be available to play both positions, ala Matt Jones?  No, it can't be that.  It has to have something to do with Ed Ogeron's failures in recruiting. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Winner on August 08, 2007, 04:11:58 pm

so where does it say that the coaches think that he's also going to fall behind the back up QB like you asserted?  is it possible that Schaeffer thinks his only future in the NFL is at WR, so he wants to be available to play both positions, ala Matt Jones?  No, it can't be that.  It has to have something to do with Ed Ogeron's failures in recruiting. 

Thing was, Orgeron recruited him to be THE QB.  HE named him starter on the day he signed.  No competion in practice, nothing, just sign on the line and you are the starter. 

WHY Schaeffer suggested this is beyond me, he does not have the speed to play WR in the NFL.  One can safely surmise he is going to lose the QB job so he suggested the move. 

Landonhog

He was beyond awful last year...  I don't blame him...

EastexHawg

Hmmm...let's see.  Could there possibly be another SEC head coach out there who has his one time starting QB playing wideout?

Naaa...that couldn't be.  Orgeron is the only one who is dumb enough...and a poor enough judge of talent...to recruit a kid at QB and then have to move him to wideout because he's not cutting it...

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on August 08, 2007, 04:25:27 pm

Hmmm...let's see.  Could there possibly be another SEC head coach out there who has his one time starting QB playing wideout?

Naaa...that couldn't be.  Orgeron is the only one who is dumb enough...and a poor enough judge of talent...to recruit a kid at QB and then have to move him to wideout because he's not cutting it...

Spurrier has done it as well.  My point was that Orgeron is not the recruting god that some here claim that he is. 

COCHISE

Quote from: tophawg19 on August 08, 2007, 04:08:46 pm
your asking huggers to think first . ain't gonna happen . he may feel that he has a better shot at the nfl as a wr than as a qb. his skill at qb wasn't going to be nfl caliber . but at wr he may be able to play . that is likely why he made the request.
What does Schaeffer trying out at WR have to do with "huggers"?  Good Grief!!

Winner

Quote from: hogsanity on August 08, 2007, 04:19:02 pm

Thing was, Orgeron recruited him to be THE QB.  HE named him starter on the day he signed.  No competion in practice, nothing, just sign on the line and you are the starter. 

WHY Schaeffer suggested this is beyond me, he does not have the speed to play WR in the NFL.  One can safely surmise he is going to lose the QB job so he suggested the move. 

I agree that Orgeron is an idiot.  I also agree that Schaeffer is not a quality SEC QB.  I just don't get how the signing of Schaeffer somehow proves that Orgeron is also a poor recruiter.  As for the signing and you're a starter, didn't Arkansas do that with John West from Junior College to safety last spring?  He was first team his first day of spring practice, and by the end of spring he was redshirting.  I'm not even sure he's on the team anymore.   

hogsanity

Quote from: Winner on August 08, 2007, 04:31:10 pm
Quote from: hogsanity on August 08, 2007, 04:19:02 pm

I agree that Orgeron is an idiot.  I also agree that Schaeffer is not a quality SEC QB.  I just don't get how the signing of Schaeffer somehow proves that Orgeron is also a poor recruiter.  As for the signing and you're a starter, didn't Arkansas do that with John West from Junior College to safety last spring?  He was first team his first day of spring practice, and by the end of spring he was redshirting.  I'm not even sure he's on the team anymore.   

Safety and QB are 2 very different positions.  It is not just Schaeffer though, I mean look at how many "great" signees Orgeron has had that did not even make it to school.  Of course, this happens to every coach sometimes, but everyone acts like this guy is some recruting monster.  Well, maybe we can hire hm after this season, because after 3-8 he will be out at OM.

staffhog

I wonder if that QB who left texas is beating him out.  I couldn't pull the article up.

Winner

Quote from: staffhog on August 08, 2007, 04:52:54 pm
I wonder if that QB who left texas is beating him out.  I couldn't pull the article up.

Jevon Snead has to sit out his year, and Schaeffer's a senior, so that shouldn't matter.

Bomis Hawg

The seat is being kept warm for Snead.
Seth Adams beat out Schaeffer in the Spring. 
Best for the team for him to go to WR.  Use his athletic ability where it is needed.

Mr. Prozac

They didn't know that.

Buck Ocean

Ok, I thought Houston moved guys around....but this is interesting.

2 Five-star quarterbacks moved to WR in 2 years.  Robert Lane was the first.  Now he's at tight end I think. 
Think like a Jedi

Realist

Is no longer an Ole Miss QB.

Going the Rojo route to WR.  Rivals says at his request. 
Thought some not devoured in the TP scandal would like to know

Rooka

Hogndog36

dang, that means they will play better
Smite me..... HAHA Smite me

Dwight_K_Shrute

It also means that Ed O is about as good at recognizing QB talent as HDN.  Those two would make a great team.  One you can't understand and the other you can't believe.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HognotinMemphis

August 09, 2007, 09:26:43 am #36 Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 10:10:14 am by MarkinMemphis
My God, Arkansas is so much like Ole Miss while Nutt has been here. Schaeffer finally moves to QB, just as RoJo finally did at Ark. Arkansas has their one year out of 25 that they go 7-1 in SEC with a great player (MacFadden) and still screwed that up by losing their last 3, and Ole Miss had their 7-1 SEC season several years ago with their once-in-a-generation great player, Eli Manning. Ole Miss will never see another 7-1 SEC season in the next 25 years and neither will Arkansas as long as Nutt is HC.

Hogs are so Ole Miss in football.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 09, 2007, 03:03:23 am
It also means that Ed O is about as good at recognizing QB talent as HDN.  Those two would make a great team.  One you can't understand and the other you can't believe.

The Hogs with Nutt could not be anymore the spitting image of Ole Miss football if they tried. We are Ole Miss.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

ErieHog

Aside from the obvious problems with that 'parallel' --  Ole Miss has had no winning seasons under Orgeron, and hasn't won more than 4 games in the past 3 years, and has only 2 seasons of 8 wins or more since 1998; they are 31-42 since 1998 in conference play.   That makes them qualitatively worse than Arkansas.
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

hogsanity

Quote from: Mr. Prozac on August 08, 2007, 06:54:56 pm

They didn't know that.

They never thought they would have to settle for Orgeron.  If they new he was the best they could get, Cutcliff would still be there, or at least would not have been fired.  They thought they could get the gold ring, and instead had to settle for a set of those floppy spring antenna you get at the carnival.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: ErieHog on August 09, 2007, 09:36:00 am
Aside from the obvious problems with that 'parallel' --  Ole Miss has had no winning seasons under Orgeron, and hasn't won more than 4 games in the past 3 years, and has only 2 seasons of 8 wins or more since 1998; they are 31-42 since 1998 in conference play.   That makes them qualitatively worse than Arkansas.

And they are competing with Miss. St and So Miss for in-state players too. Given that and given that state of MS is the same population as the state of Ark, I'd say Ole Miss and Arkansas are one in the same.