Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is the Wildcat / Hog a gimmick or REAL?

Started by twistitup, August 07, 2007, 06:49:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NWASooner

Running an option offense is very hard.  You have to be 100% committed to it.  Some of the best option QB's weren't all that fast.  It's about technique and execution.

311Hog

Quote from: NWASooner on August 08, 2007, 10:40:11 am
Running an option offense is very hard.  You have to be 100% committed to it.  Some of the best option QB's weren't all that fast.  It's about technique and execution.

this is true, but also the option looks very GOOD against inferior opponents, but is often exposed against good teams.

hogsanity

It may have been mentioned, but Fla plans on doing something similar with Harvin.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

oldfart

Actually it is the double wing.  Trust me, I grew up on Neyland single-wing football with my HS coach a Neyland protegee.

Quote from: NWASooner on August 07, 2007, 07:30:21 pm
It's the single wing.

Rolex

It was supposed to be a goal line and special down situation package, but when you don't have a QB that can pass the fricking ball, you have to make it 60% to 70% of your total offense.

hawgwilde

Quote from: Rolex on August 08, 2007, 11:01:26 am
It was supposed to be a goal line and special down situation package, but when you don't have a QB that can pass the fricking ball, you have to make it 60% to 70% of your total offense.

Precisely!  And when your Dork of a coach refuses to develop said QBs, then that's all you have...gimmicks.
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Proud to be a European-American since 1968!

Hawgon

Defensive coordinators will have their teams ready for it this year.  As someone noted above, the biggest key for stopping the option is to have a disciplined defense.  If everyone keeps to their responsibility, there isn't much place for an option attack to go.  Of course, DMac and company are going to make some plays sometimes and it will work great at times.  Other times, it is going to be stopped cold.

If our offense, no matter what it is, continues to rely on 70 yard runs by DMac instead of consistent and disciplined schemes, we are going to be in trouble.

hawgwilde

Quote from: Hawgon on August 08, 2007, 11:04:22 am
Defensive coordinators will have their teams ready for it this year.  As someone noted above, the biggest key for stopping the option is to have a disciplined defense.  If everyone keeps to their responsibility, there isn't much place for an option attack to go.  Of course, DMac and company are going to make some plays sometimes and it will work great at times.  Other times, it is going to be stopped cold.

If our offense, no matter what it is, continues to rely on 70 yard runs by DMac instead of consistent and disciplined schemes, we are going to be in trouble.[/size]

This is the key right here, and what scares me the most.  Especially since practice reports stated that Felix was getting work at QB in the Wildcat, Wild Hog, Horse Crap or whatever they're calling that formation.
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Proud to be a European-American since 1968!

slopinhogs

call it whatever you want to the waterboy play ,the ghost from the past ,the sort of single wing,the mimnicked shotgun ,or wildcat, or wild hog . it's still football isn't it. :razorback:

woo pig soooooooieee
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

biggiepiggie

The Wildcat looks like the single wing to me.  Shades of Bowden Wyatt.

LSPRazorbac

Yeah and the forward pass was once called a gimmick play also.

PigPusher

Quote from: swisshog on August 07, 2007, 08:03:44 pm
God I wish Mustain and Gus were here.

I very much miss the promise that was.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

PigPusher

Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on August 07, 2007, 09:11:40 pm
Quote from: hogfanwithms on August 07, 2007, 09:10:07 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on August 07, 2007, 09:00:42 pm
Quote from: hogfanwithms on August 07, 2007, 08:47:29 pm
So far it ain't broke.

So far it aint got us no championships hugger.

For one I'm not a hugger.  It ain't broke with D-mac running it.  And ain't the one who is not shaving.

But you is the one who supporting "Coach Nutt" and his gimmick offense

Shouldn't that be "are" instead of "is'?   Just wondering.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

joedirt

So far it ain't broke.

For one I'm not a hugger.  It ain't broke with D-mac running it.  And ain't the one who is not shaving.

Notshavin,

If someone new were to come to hogville and start reading your posts, they would be convinced you were some fat little 12 year old boy sitting at home on the computer eating twinkies and trying to pi$$ everyone off.  Hogville has really started to get a lot better lately.  The way it was back when I first signed up.  You are one of the few left that come into a post involving good natured people having good natured disagreements and totally screw it up.  Have a good day.  Go Hogs!

PigPusher

Quote from: joedirt on August 08, 2007, 12:05:32 pm
So far it ain't broke.

Notshavin,

If someone new were to come to hogville and start reading your posts, they would be convinced you were some fat little 12 year old boy sitting at home on the computer eating twinkies and trying to pi$$ everyone off.  Hogville has really started to get a lot better lately.  The way it was back when I first signed up.  You are one of the few left that come into a post involving good natured people having good natured disagreements and totally screw it up.  Have a good day.  Go Hogs!

I have noticed that also for a long time.

bythelake

How late in the option using the wildcat can Dmac pull up and pass?  Does the blocking scheme have offensive linemen 5 yards beyond the line of scrimmage early on in the play or can Dmac pull up and pass after he is into his run down the line of scrimmage?

John Futrall

BigDeal

Sir, the Wildcat has been appropriately renamed "WildHog".

311Hog

Dmac can pass the ball when ever he wants to as long as

1. A lineman doesnt go down field
2. he doesnt cross the line of scrimmage.

bythelake

Thanks guys I guess.  Is there a difference in blocking scheme when an option pass is called vs the option run?  Will the defense readily know if a pass is called based on the difference in blocking techniques of the lineman when we run the "WILDCAT, I MEAN WILDHOG"?

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

I think the original question may be what is the focus of the o-line in the WildHog?  Are they focused at the initial line of scrimmage, or are they being directed to get to the 2nd level, thus putting them down field?
Quote from: salebow on November 27, 2011, 08:39:55 pm
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

Reservoir Hogs

Generally there are different blocking schemes for a regular option vs an option pass, on the option pass you would obviously not block down field.

PigWig

Quote from: 311Hog on August 08, 2007, 12:45:01 pm
2. he doesnt cross the line of scrimmage.
Did you have to look that one up in the rule book champ?

bythelake

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

I would assume the majority focus in the WildHog would be run blocking, which would push the linemen to control the line and then get down field to pick off other defenders.

I think you are wondering if DMAC will be able to pull up and dump a pass off to someone should a hole close up at the last second - kinda like a school yard play.  While that would be great to see, it would be darn near impossible without the linemen showing pass from their initial steps.  It might work in a goal line situation (SEC Championship game last year) or a short yardage situation, but probably not as a called play.
It made be a forum, but spelling and punctuation tell a lot about a person. Also, I usually post from my iPhone, too. I don't have a problem with using good spelling and punctuation.

OnYourToes

Quote from: bythelake on August 08, 2007, 12:51:13 pm
Thanks guys I guess.  Is there a difference in blocking scheme when an option pass is called vs the option run?  Will the defense readily know if a pass is called based on the difference in blocking techniques of the lineman when we run the "WILDCAT, I MEAN WILDHOG"?

The D Line has the same adgenda on every play; get to the man with the ball.
Even if they recignized that the scheme is different, which they do sometimes, it is hard for them to communicate to the D backs and LBs as to the play.  This is esspecially hard to read due to the receivers.
On an option run they are running deep and stalk blocking the D backs.  On an option pass they are running deep and looking to get open.
There is always the option for the quarterback to run the ball.
Quote from: Fresh Legs on September 22, 2006, 09:56:48 am
Quote from: OnYourToes on September 22, 2006, 09:48:23 am
The wife's b-day was this past Tuesday, I got her a gift certifiacte for a message, she is going to redeem it Saturday, around 2:35ish.  I had it planned all along.  House to myself, game on, free to yell as loud as I can!!!!!

You sir are a genius!

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: PigPusher on August 08, 2007, 11:50:12 am
So far it ain't broke.

Shouldn't that be "are" instead of "is'?   Just wondering.

It is called "satire".  Some of you seriously need to get a sense of humor.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

The Marmot

Quote from: BigDeal on August 08, 2007, 12:44:40 pm

Outside of Nutts and JFBs minds, its the wildcat.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Anon2

It's still the Wildcat for me.

311Hog

"The D Line has the same adgenda on every play; get to the man with the ball."

This is 100% false.

bythelake

Thanks to those that provided football related explanations; those obsessed with wildhog vs wildcat-----that's all I have to say about that.

bigheadred

True, we lost Williams, the crybaby. True, we lost Norman, however, Norman was not that good and was 6th on the depth chart. We have recruited many wide receivers for 08, so the position will improve. So, don't be negative about this one position. We don't need a bunch of crybabies who complain and bring down the moral of the team. We don't need parents complaining about playing time for their poor little babies.  :puke:  :puke: We need team players like Robert Johnson.

We also recruited many quarterbacks. So, quarterback and receiver areas should be better. I hope we get some quality defensive players as well. That is an area that I worry about.

And I love this WildHog formation.

:razorback: Go Hogs!
I am Bigheadred and I support this message. Yo soy el hombre.

311Hog

Quote from: bigheadred on August 08, 2007, 02:20:17 pm
True, we lost Williams, the crybaby. True, we lost Norman, however, Norman was not that good and was 6th on the depth chart. We have recruited many wide receivers for 08, so the position will improve. So, don't be negative about this one position. We don't need a bunch of crybabies who complain and bring down the moral of the team. We don't need parents complaining about playing time for their poor little babies.  :puke:  :puke: We need team players like Robert Johnson.

We also recruited many quarterbacks. So, quarterback and receiver areas should be better. I hope we get some quality defensive players as well. That is an area that I worry about.

garbage post

PCHogs

Quote from: BigDeal on August 08, 2007, 12:44:40 pm

LOL!!!  I just about spewed my chocolate milkshake on my computer screen when I read that!  Excellent!!!
My websites: 

Watchman Fellowship (a Christian discernment ministry with expertise on cults, new religious movements and world religions): www.watchman.org

CC not PC (Constitutionally Correct not Politically Correct):  www.facebook.com/ccnotpc and www.ccnotpc.com

bigheadred

311Hog, you say you are posting a garbage post. Well, thank you for making us look good. If you disagree with what I am saying, please note your reasoning or keep your trap shut. I like to chat with mature and reasonable people who give sound reasoning, facts, examples, and truth in their posts.  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

I am Bigheadred and I support this message. Yo soy el hombre.

Beaverfever

August 08, 2007, 02:34:12 pm #85 Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 02:36:14 pm by Beaverfever
Quote from: Tammany Tom on August 07, 2007, 09:26:33 pm
It's a gimmick that works, at least for now. Face it guys, there is only one reason it works: You have the best player in the country running it. Without McFadden, it is pretty much worthless. Having a player the caliber of Felix Jones playing the RB position behind McFadden taking snaps also makes it a great package. Those two guys are why it works and works well. However, the wildcat has it's costs and those costs are expensive to your program. Those costs are losing out on great WR prospects and losing Damien Williams last year and now I hear you lost another Springdale WR. I can't see any highly ranked QB prospects salivating at the mouth wanting to be a part of that offense either.

Basically, enjoy it this year, because after this year it will it be far more harmful then helpful. 
Ok I don't really disagree about the wr recruiting thing although that has no proof whatsoever yet but the first part of your post just doesn't make any sense.  You say it is "worthless" and then say it is a "great package" and then say it only works because we have mcfadden?  NO SHIIITE thats the point.  Not everyone can do it.  We're making the most of having mcfadden and felix at the same time.  It isn't our new permanent offense for the next decade.  It is just a plan to have the best players touching the ball at all times.  If teams are going to stack the box against us we are going to even the playing field by stacking our backfield since we don't have much of a passing game at all. 

PCHogs

Quote from: bigheadred on August 08, 2007, 02:30:44 pm
311Hog, you say you are posting a garbage post. Well, thank you for making us look good. If you disagree with what I am saying, please note your reasoning or keep your trap shut. I like to chat with mature and reasonable people who give sound reasoning, facts, examples, and truth in their posts.  :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

"...Williams, the crybaby" is a statement that you would say is mature, reasonable, factual, true and sound?
My websites: 

Watchman Fellowship (a Christian discernment ministry with expertise on cults, new religious movements and world religions): www.watchman.org

CC not PC (Constitutionally Correct not Politically Correct):  www.facebook.com/ccnotpc and www.ccnotpc.com

The Marmot

Exactly none of your previous post was mature and reasonable nor gave any sound reasoning, facts, examples, or truth.

Using the word "crybabies" = immature
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

"Pickled" Pig's Pete

LOL.  You call Williams a "crybaby". Where is the fact and or truth in that statement?  You say the receivers will improve in 08 because of the players that have been recruited.  Are you willing to bet everything you have on that prediction?

I agree with 311Hog, your previous post was garbage.  Nothing more, nothing less.

MysticHog

I think my post earlier was misunderstood, the wildcat is the single wing that has been around forever.  Is it a gimmick? No. No more than Matt Jones was a gimmick and certainly was not.  What you have is a weak QB (thanks to Nutt)  and great backs. So you use your strength, nothing wrong with that.  Why try to pass for 5 when you can run for 80?

MysticHog

Quote from: 311Hog on August 08, 2007, 02:26:53 pm

garbage post

Post less and read more. Jesus

311Hog

no your posts are garbage, unsubstantiated garbage.

311Hog

Quote from: Beaverfever on August 08, 2007, 02:34:12 pm
It's a gimmick that works, at least for now. Face it guys, there is only one reason it works: You have the best player in the country running it. Without McFadden, it is pretty much worthless. Having a player the caliber of Felix Jones playing the RB position behind McFadden taking snaps also makes it a great package. Those two guys are why it works and works well. However, the wildcat has it's costs and those costs are expensive to your program. Those costs are losing out on great WR prospects and losing Damien Williams last year and now I hear you lost another Springdale WR. I can't see any highly ranked QB prospects salivating at the mouth wanting to be a part of that offense either.

Basically, enjoy it this year, because after this year it will it be far more harmful then helpful. 
Ok I don't really disagree about the wr recruiting thing although that has no proof whatsoever yet but the first part of your post just doesn't make any sense.  You say it is "worthless" and then say it is a "great package" and then say it only works because we have mcfadden?  NO SHIIITE thats the point.  Not everyone can do it.  We're making the most of having mcfadden and felix at the same time.  It isn't our new permanent offense for the next decade.  It is just a plan to have the best players touching the ball at all times.  If teams are going to stack the box against us we are going to even the playing field by stacking our backfield since we don't have much of a passing game at all. 

his point is that you are right it isnt our "permanent offense" because we dont have one, while other schools have a "system" inplace that they purposely recruit for and practice to get better at, our coaching staff just prays to have players like Dmac born in AR.  See the logical difference?

jkcrunch

Quote from: Acer3102 on August 07, 2007, 09:36:08 pm
Its a great formation created by a true GENIUS in football offence.  Nutt and company will try to run Gus's plays all year and fail every time.  I know Gus will come up with something even better to run at Tulsa and once again take the country by storm.

Sorry Gus did not invent it the origin of the offense is about 40- 50 years old.   WVU uses it anyone doubt their QB is not just another running back.   Urban Meyer use it and his offense is better when the QB is a real threat to run that is why they are better this year with Tebow.   Look at his offense with Alex Smith, only featured 20-25 pass attempts per game and that was under the pre change of possesion rules.

MysticHog

Quote from: 311Hog on August 08, 2007, 02:50:27 pm

his point is that you are right it isnt our "permanent offense" because we dont have one, while other schools have a "system" inplace that they purposely recruit for and practice to get better at, our coaching staff just prays to have players like Dmac born in AR.  See the logical difference?

Did you ever here the saying you dance with the girl that you brought to the dance?  You use what you have to do the best you can. He's the best football player in the country, can you not understand that?

311Hog

Quote from: MysticHog on August 08, 2007, 02:54:18 pm

Did you ever here the saying you dance with the girl that you brought to the dance?  You use what you have to do the best you can. He's the best football player in the country, can you not understand that?

Listen to yourself.

It requires the "best football player in the country" to make our offense "serviceable". I want you to let that statement sink in and then analyze our future for when "the best football player in the country" isnt here next year.

jkcrunch

You really do not understand,  Williams left he wanted something different that does not make him a 'crybaby'.  Kids change their minds.   Andrew wanted to play a little more and that was the reason he left,  again kids change their minds.  They are good kids and they changed their minds.

Simple as that.

jkcrunch

I was liking what you were saying but you lost me.   Yes there is a system, We are a power I running team that is a system like it or not but it is a system.  And the staff does recruit to it hence the influx of TB and OL.   Now if you want to argue the sucess of the system please go on you are doing great.  But it is a system and they do recruit to the system.

311Hog

Quote from: jkcrunch on August 08, 2007, 03:02:56 pm

I was liking what you were saying but you lost me.   Yes there is a system, We are a power I running team that is a system like it or not but it is a system.  And the staff does recruit to it hence the influx of TB and OL.   Now if you want to argue the sucess of the system please go on you are doing great.  But it is a system and they do recruit to the system.

Ok it is a pathetic, predictable, and failed system is that better?

the point is the "success" is the gimmick, and it is only successfull because of the "best player in college football".

Remove the best player in college football, the gimmick fails, and you are left with the 2005 Nutterbutter "system of suck".

67Hog

August 08, 2007, 03:18:49 pm #99 Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 03:20:50 pm by 67Hog
Is this the single wing formation?  And if so, is that also the Wildcat?

O  OXO O O O   
             O    O
         O
     O           

(The X is supposed to be in a O, for the center, but couldn't get the typover to work.)