Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spurrier Threatens To Leave SC

Started by hawg_racer, August 06, 2007, 02:17:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

cbjagman

Quote from: hogtusk on August 06, 2007, 08:30:37 am
He said the right things, but the bottom line is, he or his staff mislead those kids. Spurrier is still there and those kids are out in the cold.
Sorry, but I don't read the situation as one in which Spurrier purposely misled these kids. In fact, that's the main issue surrounding the story-SS recruiting the players based on what the NCAA requires; SC academic authorities saying these standards aren't adequate. Perhaps SS should have cautioned the kids they might not meet USC's particular standards; however, it sounds as if the whole issue came down to judgements by university authorities  after the fact.

One thing it did show me, however: SS takes very seriously his reputation and integrity. He also takes responsibilty for the things that happen in the program, whether or not they're under his direct control.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hogfan064 on August 06, 2007, 12:19:22 pm
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 06, 2007, 12:06:06 pm
Quote from: twistitup on August 06, 2007, 11:37:50 am
Do you think Spurrier would consider coming to Arkansas if Nutt left after this year...

Could we land a top notch coach like Spurrier....

Yes, we could if.............
1) Have to open up the check book.
2) JFB would have to be relegated to being a good will respresentive(and even that would be shaky with the things that periodically come out of his mouth these days).
3) The meddling would have to stop(50-75% of this accomplished by putting JFB out to pasture).
4) Free Pinnacle Membership for life( as well as periodic trips to Augusta).

This guy could and would absolutely revive our program, synergize donations, the fan base and take us to BCS land.

We wouldn't have to open the checkbook up.  Spurrier is payed nearly the same as Nutt is.  He actually turned down more $$ at USC to give to assistants and other athletic departments.  $$ wouldn't be a factor.

Spurrier loves USC, but this recent development with the president has angered him.  Leaving for a SEC program like Arkansas isn't impossible, just not sure if it would be likely.

Well I sure don't think he would come here for the same money he is making now. A move, would have to mean an increase, not just for him, but for any coach of any merit.
Go Hogs Go!

hogfan064

Dave Odom and Ray Tanner both have had the same thing happen to them this year at USC.  This isn't a Spurrier issue only.  The USC academic advisory board has problems, not Spurrier

hogs25

I'd move back to Fayetteville in a heartbeat if SOS became our coach.  My theory on Nutt is you've seen one Nutt game (8 hour drive roundtrip) you've seen them all.  It's sort of like hearing him speak.  I don't hate the guy but he will drive you crazy with all the reapeating and specials.

SOS want stay for another year if this one doesn't work out.  It's killing his all time SEC winning %.  Did you know that he only lost "3" games in the Swamp as coach? 

hogfan064

Quote from: hogs25 on August 06, 2007, 12:29:20 pm
I'd move back to Fayetteville in a heartbeat if SOS became our coach.  My theory on Nutt is you've seen one Nutt game (8 hour drive roundtrip) you've seen them all.  It's sort of like hearing him speak.  I don't hate the guy but he will drive you crazy with all the reapeating and specials.

SOS want stay for another year if this one doesn't work out.  It's killing his all time SEC winning %.  Did you know that he only lost "3" games in the Swamp as coach? 

Spurrier wouldn't leave USC to save his winning Pct.  The only reason he would leave is if he felt the university wasn't comitted to winning.  If he was worried about winning pct he would've taken the Miami or Bama jobs that were offered to him this past year.   He likes it in South Carolina and knows that if he wins at USC he will do something no other coach has done.

Nutts and Bolts

A new era has begun in Fayetteville

abraHAM_lincoln

Is he going to come in as Assistant COach/Passing game coordinator...  Lord knows the powers and a big slice of the Illiterate fans are just happy as all get up to average 6 to 7 wins a year...so nutt is here to stay.  Excuse me while I throw up!!!!!

Chief Mac

Quote from: PigWig on August 06, 2007, 11:58:29 am
I don't think I want Spurrier anymore.  At one point I did, but not now.

He hasn't really done much at USC except get them bowl eligible and have a few mediocre years.  I don't know how great of a coach he is, away from the fertile recruiting hotbed that is Florida.

Spurrier is building his team.  Here are the rankings for his past 3 classes:

YEAR    National Ranking      SEC Ranking
2007           #6                       #4
2006           #24                     #8
2005           #23                     #7

Arkansas Recruiting:

YEAR    National Ranking      SEC Ranking
2007           #31                     #9
2006           #26                     #9
2005           #24                     #8

I'd say Spurrier will get it done at USC east
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

HeathWimp

Spurrier wouldn't waste his time coming here.

If he thinks that he is having problems with the administration at South Carolina, wait until he gets a good look at our dysfunctional University.  Right now, it kind of looks like of Ernest P. Worrel (the good 'ole boys network") meets Urkle (Chancellor White).  The result is a retarded redneck nerd who can work a slide rule but can't tie his shoes.  Who would want to work in such an environement?
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

porkchopscott

Stand up guy, he manned up and took the blame enough said .. You have to admit thats integrity. As far as those 2 kids I don't think they are out in the cold. Hope the best for them

RedSatinHog

I believe Spurrier and Nutt are close personal friends.  My answer at that point is "No".
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

moses_007

Nowhere in this article does Spurrier threaten to leave SC.  On the contrary, he says he plans to be their coach for a long time.

porkchopscott

Quote from: Nutts and Bolts on August 06, 2007, 12:42:08 pm
Nutt could be his towel boy...

Nutt could be the tiedy wipe boy or the charmin extra picker upper

hawg_racer

Quote from: moses_007 on August 06, 2007, 01:04:19 pm
Nowhere in this article does Spurrier threaten to leave SC.  On the contrary, he says he plans to be their coach for a long time.

Did you not see this part?

Quote"As long as I'm the coach here, we're going to take guys that qualify. If not, then I'm going to have to go somewhere else"

He is telling them if they dont get it squared away, he will leave, that is a threat to leave.

LSUFan

Quote from: kgr on August 06, 2007, 12:15:37 pm
How many SEC championships has he won?

How many has Ark. won?

How many N.C. has he won?

How many has Ark. won?

Spurrier was looking for a job whenever Nutt sack was flirting with Nebraska.

Paw Paw missed his chance. Paw Paw doesn't want a winning coach that will do better than he did, he wants a brown nosing ass kisser like the Dale.

oldtimerhog

If he is interested, he sure as h$ll better be!
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

quest4excellence

NOPE! I think he's enjoying building the program he's at.

Word to ya motha! -Vanilla Ice

BigDeal

Placemarker. I will re visit this thread at the appropriate time.

LSUFan

Quote from: BigDeal on August 06, 2007, 01:32:01 pm
Placemarker. I will re visit this thread at the appropriate time.

Checking in with Paw Paw, Dale?

cbjagman

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on August 06, 2007, 12:55:48 pm
I believe Spurrier and Nutt are close personal friends.  My answer at that point is "No".
Yeah, I'd certainly say they're best of "buds". Notice how they're constantly falling over one another to give one another credit.

UAfanatic

Quote from: wholehog92 on August 06, 2007, 10:57:09 am
Quote from: UAfanatic on August 06, 2007, 09:09:42 am
I don't know why you guys like this statement so much.. It's pure spin..

His Staff did not know the academic qualifications for getting in his school.
He did NOT take ownership of the mistake.
He mistakenly slapped his own school by saying that he thought it would meet the lowest
academic qualifications allowed by the NCAA.. and didn't check any differently.

"I'm embarrassed that I, and our coaches, basically misled these young men into believing they were coming here."

"I don't always tell recruits what they want to hear. I try to be honest with them and all I ever guarantee is an opportunity.[/color]
"I begged and pleaded, pleaded and begged, and our provost relented and let them in."
"I can't operate misleading young men."

I don't think there was any mistake in slapping his school.  He seemed pretty clear that he disagreed with the policy of the school.

The fanbase is desperate for people to address issues directly here.  Any resemblance to that will create longing from us.  Treating recruits to honesty is a similar refrain from fans.

I'm sure that the Vanderbilt coaches go off and recruit without realizing that the lowest standard in the NCAA is not their goal.

This was a Rookie mistake made by a prestigious coach.. he did not check to see what the requirements were when he told the students they could get qualified.. NOT the administration. The entry requirements have been the same well before Mr. Spurrier.. as much as he wants to complain about the president..

He did not own the mistake of not knowing what the students needed to gain entry into the university.

He did own up to telling them they could come..

But the problem is he did NOT own up to the fact that he did not do his homework.

twistitup

He is a prick, but there are many good coaches that have been known as the same. Spurrier is paid to coach, not play the role of a kiss-a**  PR man....he shoots everyone straight, including the fans- I like to hear the truth, even if it is hard to handle.

I think Spurrier would positively impact our football program by putting a nationally known coach into a program that needs positive national attention to improve recruiting...

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

BartIV

Spurrier does seem to like the SEC, but I don't see our university hiring someone with his type of personality.  I think it would scare them a little to much.

BustinANutt

Quote from: rlh06 on August 06, 2007, 11:42:22 am
He loves golf so he would like the NWA area.  However, I don't think the PTB would fork out the cash to attract a coach like Spurrier.  Plus, the good old boy system at the UofA would surely have to find one of their own to make head coach.
I was going to make the same point with an opposite conclusion. I guess Tyson's course is okay. But it is the only one in NWA that would be on Spurrier's level. I guess Warren would invite him to be a member of Alotian. Actually not because he hates Frank and the fact that LR games were taken away. I guess he could become a member of Southern Hills, but its kinda far and kinda crappy.

judgeroyswine

I was just on the phone with Reality, and he said "NO!"
Overcoming the gloom, despair, and agony of Hog fandom since 1961.

Cartoon Man

No way a good coach like that comes to the UA.  Not until Frank is completely out of the way. Think about it, Frank doesn't want anybody to overshadow him.  It is all EGO.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

I would love to have a guy like Spurrier.  But anyone in the business (other than another Nutt) would be better than Nutt at this point.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Porklandia

I don't think we have to worry about Spurrier or any other big name coach coming here for a long time. The new coaching candidate has to know if he angers some fans, his personal life will be put under a microscope. Not judging whether that is right or wrong, just stating a fact. (This also hurt Alabama, IMHO, when they practically strung up Mike Price when he went to a strip club. I know they eventually got Saban, but had to settle for Mike Shula in the interim.)  With this lawsuit and phone records, etc., IMHO,the position of head football coach at Arkansas is not as desirable as it once was. I think it will scare away the top potential candidates. Who would want to come here knowing that the same fate awaits them if they anger a certain segment of our fans? This lawsuit went too far, and I think it really hurt our chances of landing a big name coach if HDN leaves.
Put a Hog on it!

Razorback Jedi

Not a chance.

Our next coach will not be a big name. Reference the Hog basketball program, which has a better recent history of success than football.

Spurrier won't coach for much longer, either.

The_Bionic_Pig

August 06, 2007, 05:09:19 pm #79 Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 05:12:49 pm by Woo_Pig_Stewie
Spurrior took the head coaching job at South Carolina as a challenge not for the money, his words not mine.  He reminds me of Larry Brown.  Both enjoy the challenge of revamping a program from nothing into a major player. 

As far as the next head coach at Arkansas I imagine the committee will want to start from scratch but be one with ties to the University of Arkansas or a former/present native of the state.   Their are many choices in that arena when you look at the past NFL players & coaches who have a connection to the state of Arkansas.

You could have Steve Atwater, Dan Hampton & Kenoy Kennedy as Defensive Line & LB coaches....... Clint Stoerner QB coach and Jimmy Johnson Head coach....I know most of this is beyond the realm of possibility but their are too many options out their for us to worry about another "Almagate" Dana Altman who was our Men's Head basketball coach for less than 24 hours and the BOT and New AD will utilize all of them in a attempt to either keep the momentum or bring back excitement to the fan base depending on the reasoning of HDN's departure either after a successful season or a disappointing one.

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

dogsiceman

:razorback: :razorback:

I live in Columbia SC and have been to several functions and the "ball coach" as he is called here was in attendance.  He certainly creates a stir when he amongst the brethren.  He is an extremely opinionated coach, and from what I've seen ......seems to certainly enjoy his fair share of spirited liquids. 

I don't know how motivated he is anymore to "start over".  At one time he was a great recruiter, and solid coach....with lots of fire in his belly.  Maybe it's still there, but all the times he's on tv or at some type of "function", he seems pretty focused on his surroundings and his immediate needs.  I think it's all about "the ball coach" as he likes to be called.  JMO from my observations.

Hogs-n-Roses

Spurrier is a thug, anyone who calls players and fans losers on the air is weak.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: cbjagman on August 06, 2007, 03:08:35 pm
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on August 06, 2007, 12:55:48 pm
Yeah, I'd certainly say they're best of "buds". Notice how they're constantly falling over one another to give one another credit.

Not really sure what you mean by that one, but I do distinctly remember Spurrier defending Nutt's decision to pull the plug on MM during the Carolina game last season.  After the game was over with, Spurrier said he agreed with it 100%.

hogfan064

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on August 06, 2007, 05:35:18 pm
Spurrier is a thug, anyone who calls players and fans losers on the air is weak.

Again, I challenge you to show us the quote where he called his players losers.  You have said this before and I have asked you to find the quote, but you haven't provided it yet.

Mr. Perfect

I don't think Spurrier wants to go back to being an assisstant coach because that's what he'd be here because Nutt is here to stay.

SkunkyMunky

I don't think I want Spurrier anymore.  At one point I did, but not now.

He hasn't really done much at USC except get them bowl eligible and have a few mediocre years.  I don't know how great of a coach he is, away from the fertile recruiting hotbed that is Florida.
Neither did Holtz, but most still consider him a great coach and would like him back at Arkansas. I personally think the Gamecocks are just destined to flounder. I like Miami guy who just got fired, and Butch Davis myself.
"Do you want to be safe and good, or do you want to take a chance and be great?"
Jimmy Johnson

"Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple."
Barry Switzer

RedSatinHog

Quote from: SkunkyMunky on August 06, 2007, 07:50:07 pm
I don't think I want Spurrier anymore.  At one point I did, but not now.

He hasn't really done much at USC except get them bowl eligible and have a few mediocre years.  I don't know how great of a coach he is, away from the fertile recruiting hotbed that is Florida.
Neither did Holtz, but most still consider him a great coach and would like him back at Arkansas. I personally think the Gamecocks are just destined to flounder. I like Miami guy who just got fired, and Butch Davis myself.

The problem with Larry Coker is that the wheels came off and the program steadily got worse and worse under his watch.  With that kind of talent sitting in your own backyard, there's no excuse for such a thing happening.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: hogfan064 on August 06, 2007, 07:18:54 pm
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on August 06, 2007, 05:35:18 pm

Again, I challenge you to show us the quote where he called his players losers.  You have said this before and I have asked you to find the quote, but you haven't provided it yet.
I would have to have tapes of the post game interview with him to do this. A fellow poster on this board"porkerpower was with me and both heard the same thing. He went into a rant-n-rave in which he used the word "losers" several times. It was discussed on this board a day or two after the game also, others heard it also.

slopinhogs

not to worry So. Carolina will change their admission rules . he says pretty much what he feelsa like saying. the sad part is he gets away with it. :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

aceman

Heightshog

Look toward the bottom of the article.  I was at the game, he said some terrible things after we beat them.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/scores106/106308/NCAAF701824.htm

Bucksnort

Quote from: rlh06 on August 06, 2007, 11:42:22 am
He loves golf so he would like the NWA area.  However, I don't think the PTB would fork out the cash to attract a coach like Spurrier.  Plus, the good old boy system at the UofA would surely have to find one of their own to make head coach.

I'm not so sure about this, but maybe.  I look at it kinda like JFB is the Sam Walton of the U of A.  When JFB is out of the picture there may be a lot of changes take place just like there were when Mr. Sam passed and was no longer 'in charge'.  Be interesting to watch and see anyway.  We can only hope the good ol boy system leaves too.

RedSatinHog

August 06, 2007, 10:36:26 pm #92 Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:38:03 pm by AKHogsHoopsFan
South Carolina had other mistakes too - allowing a 50-yard TD pass in the waning moments of the first half, nullifying a first-half touchdown with an offensive pass interference penalty and lining up in an illegal formation on a punt and having the re-kick blocked for a safety.

``That's why we're losers around here - because we don't do the little things right,'' Gamecocks coach Steve Spurrier said.

Sorry, but I don't see where his response was terrible or thuggish. 

mcclintock126

How about SS as head coach and Nuttbag as his OC........just to satisfy Frank?

atekido

CLint is to busy seling used cars to be a qb coach ROFL.  and what would he coach?  how to fumble a ball in what could have been our biggest season and win in our history if things had played out different. lol

steve spurrier is a Great coach and has awesome foresight.  and seems to care for the kids.  and for anyone to bash him because USC isnt the best yet your a moron.   i guess some people have a short memory or dont look at how close their games were.

their only big loss was there 2nd game vs georgia.  lost 18-0 

but look at the other losses .

AUburn   24-17  1 touchdown diff
Tenn     31-24  1 touchdown diff
Ark       26-20  1 td wins it for them
FLorida 17-16  1 point loss.

and WE ALL KNOW how lucky we was to win.
and vs TN and florida was the luckiest.
USC so Easily could have been  12-1 and playing for the national title instead of florida.
oh forgot to mention we sneaked past vanderbilt while USC blew them out of the water. 31-13

and people think without rice their done..  mckinley caught 51 passes for 880 yds  17.3 ave  over 2 yds a catch higher ave than rice.

They are alot better than what people give them credit for.

lumphog

How can ANYONE......NOT........be a Spurrier fan?? The man is a genius! The BEST offensive mind in college football TODAY. It should be against the LAW to use Nutts name in the same sentense with Spurrier!!!!!!! I dream of the day that we have a REAL coach like Spurrier. It`s amazing what he`s done at SC, with what he has to work with. He`s the BEST in the bussiness............He1s 10 times the coach as Pete Caroll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lumphog

arklahoman36

This looks like nothing more than CYA for Spurrier -- because he's the only one that benefits from it.

He knew he was over-signing, knew it had been an issue in the past by his own admission, but apparently didn't do anything to try and prevent it -- he waited until it happened again and then makes a production of why it happened when it blows back on him.

While he says he takes responsibility, and doesn't blame the president or provost, he mentions the president and the fact that the president says the policy will change on multiple occasions  and makes sure people know he begged the provost the last time it happened -- which to me is a subtle attempt to shift blame.

He played the admissions game before -- and had a partial victory -- played it again and had it blow up in his face, and this time the HS coaches went public and blasted him, so he was forced to respond.

I don't give someone high marks for taking responsibility or being a stand-up guy when they go out and say I take responsibility, with a big but it's really these guys' fault (no matter how subtle it is), only when they are forced to do so by circumstance.

Hogndog36

He will never even think about it, for one there is no golf courses around here that he would enjoy
Smite me..... HAHA Smite me

HoggySTruman

nice dream.....unfortunately hdn is like that "cling-on" you just cant get rid of......