Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Spurrier Threatens To Leave SC

Started by hawg_racer, August 06, 2007, 02:17:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDPiggie

Arkansas would be nothing more than a short term step up from S. Carolina for Spurrier. He wouldn't come here because he would rather be at a starter team with no expectations (S. Carolina) or a team that is in the top ten, year in and year out. With a 10 win season, there is no "look how I turned this team around" factor to stroke his ego, yet we aren't a continual contender that lost a coach to the pros (HDN would look good as an Arizona Cardinal coach) or fell on a few tough years. Spurrier is just another in a long line of ego driven coaches who has their good moments, but when it's all said and done, it comes down to the coach first, the program second. Many would say we already know how this feels.
It's Festivus... for the rest of us!

UhOhioHog

Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on August 06, 2007, 08:25:27 pm
Quote from: hogfan064 on August 06, 2007, 07:18:54 pm
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on August 06, 2007, 05:35:18 pm
Spurrier is a thug, anyone who calls players and fans losers on the air is weak.

Again, I challenge you to show us the quote where he called his players losers.  You have said this before and I have asked you to find the quote, but you haven't provided it yet.
I would have to have tapes of the post game interview with him to do this. A fellow poster on this board"porkerpower was with me and both heard the same thing. He went into a rant-n-rave in which he used the word "losers" several times. It was discussed on this board a day or two after the game also, others heard it also.

Spurrier did say he wanted to change the expectations at South Carolina and referred to "losers" as what the fans had come to expect.  It was used in a very positive context.

Many have said that he is a foul mouthed prick.  I think he is just passionate and confident.  He wants what is best for his players.  He is hard to like when he is the opponent, but, if he wore Cardinal instead of Garnet, we would all rejoice!

demonHOG1013

After having coach Nutt here and hearing all the crap that spews outta his mouth, about ME, ME, ME when things are going good, and everyone but ME when things are bad, its kinda hard to believe that theres a coach out there that takes responsibility and says Its my fault, I misled someone, I messed up, and its not going to happen again. It takes a man to admit when he does something wrong, if Nutt was in a similar situation Im sure there would be more covering up and keeping hush hush, until absolutely necessary, then he would thrust the blame on someone else. Fire Nutt, Hire Spurrier.

lilredheadedlady

Quote from: cmakrzrbak on August 06, 2007, 11:47:13 am
He's a grade A prick, but I would accept him with open arms.

Amen!  I think Spurrier could win at Arkansas if the PTB would keep their noses out of it (not happening, I know).
I love our Arkansas Razorback players! WPS!

demonHOG1013

Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on August 06, 2007, 05:46:47 pm
Quote from: cbjagman on August 06, 2007, 03:08:35 pm
Quote from: AKHogsHoopsFan on August 06, 2007, 12:55:48 pm
I believe Spurrier and Nutt are close personal friends.  My answer at that point is "No".
Yeah, I'd certainly say they're best of "buds". Notice how they're constantly falling over one another to give one another credit.

Not really sure what you mean by that one, but I do distinctly remember Spurrier defending Nutt's decision to pull the plug on MM during the Carolina game last season.  After the game was over with, Spurrier said he agreed with it 100%.

Of course he agreed with it. It gave him a better chance to win the game, and it almost worked. If the new clock rule hadnt been added last year, we probably lose to South Carolina.

Cartoon Man

I'd take Spurrier in a heartbeat. With talent we have this year, I would love to see what Spurrier could do with it.