Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Andrew Norman transfer info?

Started by harrisburghog, August 01, 2007, 07:43:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

claytongray

Quote from: FootballHog on August 01, 2007, 08:55:30 pm
Quote from: Immensehog on August 01, 2007, 08:52:13 pm
Please God, make it stop.

Can our University go 3 days without being a laughing stock for the rest of the country?

We are a laughing stock because a player transfered?

Wow, just....wow....

This is what I was talking about when I said "blown out of proportion".

The rest of the country wont even hear about this because the rest of the country doesnt care that a WR transferred. IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.

Exactly.

Silver Hog

Who says Tulsa can't get top notch recruits?

Beau McCastlain

Quote from: FootballHog on August 01, 2007, 09:10:53 pm
Quote from: hoghearted on August 01, 2007, 09:07:48 pm
Maybe not alarming, but a trend, perhaps? And not a good one.

So far, the only players that have transfered are from Springdale. Not hatin on Springdale or anything, but thats a fact. I dont see it being a trend with the rest of the team.

Not true..Cedric Logan, Mark Winston, and Michael Coe. That was prior to last season and maybe you were referring to last year's recruiting class. I'm just pointing out that it does happen year in and year out.
"Hey!!! Let's go huntin'!!!"

WilsonHog

Quote from: claytongray on August 01, 2007, 09:34:26 pm

Can our University go 3 days without being a laughing stock for the rest of the country?

Wow, just....wow....

The rest of the country wont even hear about this because the rest of the country doesnt care that a WR transferred. IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME.

Exactly.

Normally I would agree.

I bet, however, that when this becomes official ESPN will pick it up as another one of the Springdale kids who is leaving on the heels of Malzahn, Mustain, and Williams. Norman's status as "just another wide receiver" won't hold water nationally because of his connection to people who have already left, and because of all of the drama preceding his transfer - especially if it is to Tulsa.

claytongray

Quote from: TuckFexas on August 01, 2007, 08:58:48 pm
Quote from: hawgbawb on August 01, 2007, 08:50:20 pm
Did HDN promise something to him other than that he'd get a fair shot? Was he promised that they wouldn't recruit anymore receivers?  Is the player saying that he was mistreated, or are people just speculating? 

Players leave for greener pastures at colleges across the nation every week of the year. Sometimes it's the best for everyone.  I hope that is the case in this situation.

It doesn't strike you as odd that 3 highly touted recruits (a 5* and two 4*) have all transferred after their first year here? Why are the pastures greener away from the Hill? Why have there been whispers that other players are unhappy over the past few months? Is it a darksider conspiracy? Magic 8 ball says "no."

Norman was a three-star recruit.

http://rivals100.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=1&pr_key=34212

MysticHog

Quote from: bkofkells on August 01, 2007, 07:54:36 pm
He's going to Tulsa after having a look at all the stud receivers coming in.

Must of missed them, where are they?

CDOGHOG

JUST ANOTHER SITUATION THAT SUGGESTS THAT WE NEED A NEW AND IMPROVED COACHING STAFF.  +1 NOTSHAVIN

claytongray

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 01, 2007, 09:38:38 pm
Quote from: claytongray on August 01, 2007, 09:34:26 pm

Wow, just....wow....

Exactly.

Normally I would agree.

I bet, however, that when this becomes official ESPN will pick it up as another one of the Springdale kids who is leaving on the heels of Malzahn, Mustain, and Williams. Norman's status as "just another wide receiver" won't hold water nationally because of his connection to people who have already left, and because of all of the drama preceding his transfer - especially if it is to Tulsa.

Meh. There are more important/interesting things for the national media to talk about right now - Garnett to the Celtics, MLB trading deadline, Bonds being a poopy-head, NFL camps in full swing, etc.

bkjacks

Seems to me like one of those products of the system kind of deal with all of the kids from just North West of the hill. Time will tell. Just a guess on my part.

Beau McCastlain

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 01, 2007, 09:28:24 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on August 01, 2007, 09:23:38 pm
Quote from: Beau McCastlain on August 01, 2007, 09:01:32 pm
  Guys don't let this thread get ugly. He's a kid making a decision he feels is best for his future. If you want to wish him luck....wish him luck.  If you don't care......don't post and don't feel obligated to tell us you do not care. If you still mad at HDN, go post in another thread. Do not hijack this thread...that goes for both sides!!!

Why should we have to post on another thread just if we are still mad at HDN, especially if we believe he is the reason Norman and a few others transferred?

That is just plain ridiculous.

Agreed.  This is a thread about AN transferring.  Not a good luck and farewell thread.  I thinkwe should be able to comment on

1. Why he transferred
2. If Nutt is to blame and why
3. Is it just coincidence that all but one of the Springdale guys is now gone
4. How this will affect the team.

With that being said,  It should not be an opportunity to bash the kid or impune his character, or belittle him in any way.

We have rules about bashing the players.  The coaches in regards to coaching matters (and this is one) have always been fair game.

Agreed, all of that can be discussed. But keep in mind noone knows for sure (yet) why the decision was made. I know the rules. I was referring to the few who were doing drive-by's with the thread. You know the ones along the lines of "I don't care, he's not a hog!!" or "Fire HDN" and that would be it.  Those items you list can be discussed, just don't want people to be forced to wade through the BS to find decent post.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Beau McCastlain on August 01, 2007, 09:44:31 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on August 01, 2007, 09:23:38 pm
Quote from: Beau McCastlain on August 01, 2007, 09:01:32 pm
  Guys don't let this thread get ugly. He's a kid making a decision he feels is best for his future. If you want to wish him luck....wish him luck.  If you don't care......don't post and don't feel obligated to tell us you do not care. If you still mad at HDN, go post in another thread. Do not hijack this thread...that goes for both sides!!!

Why should we have to post on another thread just if we are still mad at HDN, especially if we believe he is the reason Norman and a few others transferred?

That is just plain ridiculous.

Agreed.  This is a thread about AN transferring.  Not a good luck and farewell thread.  I thinkwe should be able to comment on

1. Why he transferred
2. If Nutt is to blame and why
3. Is it just coincidence that all but one of the Springdale guys is now gone
4. How this will affect the team.

With that being said,  It should not be an opportunity to bash the kid or impune his character, or belittle him in any way.

We have rules about bashing the players.  The coaches in regards to coaching matters (and this is one) have always been fair game.

Agreed, all of that can be discussed. But keep in mind noone knows for sure (yet) why the decision was made. I know the rules. I was referring to the few who were doing drive-by's with the thread. You know the ones along the lines of "I don't care, he's not a hog!!" or "Fire HDN" and that would be it.  Those items you list can be discussed, just don't want people to be forced to wade through the BS to find decent post.

Fair enough and makes sense, thanks for the clarification.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

Hogs-n-Roses

hog.goblin

Norman won the Heisman for me on NCAA 2007 (his sophomore year).  He will be missed.

UrAzoRbacKs

Don't we also have a rule about attacking other posters and calling them names?  That happened on the first page of this thread (not saying it was you, Dwight).

Anyway, I'm sorry to see Andrew go, I was really looking forward to watching him on the field this year.  He was fun to watch in high school (as were Damian and Mitch, Damian was the most exciting high school player I've seen in a long time).  I had been hearing that he was running great routes, and I thought he could really help our passing game.  Good luck wherever you end up, Andrew!

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: UrAzoRbacKs on August 01, 2007, 10:15:30 pm

Don't we also have a rule about attacking other posters and calling them names?  That happened on the first page of this thread (not saying it was you, Dwight).

Anyway, I'm sorry to see Andrew go, I was really looking forward to watching him on the field this year.  He was fun to watch in high school (as were Damian and Mitch, Damian was the most exciting high school player I've seen in a long time).  I had been hearing that he was running great routes, and I thought he could really help our passing game.  Good luck wherever you end up, Andrew!

I try to stay away from direct name calling.  I prefer to specialize in innuendo, euphemisms, cliches and double entendres.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Oliver

booogaga

Quote from: FootballHog on August 01, 2007, 07:59:43 pm
I dont think this has anything to do with Nutt or the offense. I think it has to do with being the 4th best WR on the team and an upcoming recruiting class full of WR studs. But of course, this thread will probably be spun out of proportion.
what ever happened to kids playing hard and earning a spot.
GO HOGS!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: booogaga on August 01, 2007, 10:32:56 pm
I dont think this has anything to do with Nutt or the offense. I think it has to do with being the 4th best WR on the team and an upcoming recruiting class full of WR studs. But of course, this thread will probably be spun out of proportion.

I think it went out with coaches honoring their word.  They seem to go hand in hand.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

WilsonHog

Quote from: Sao Ming on August 01, 2007, 10:22:51 pm
Quote from: CabotHog on August 01, 2007, 10:16:22 pm
Quote from: Sao Ming on August 01, 2007, 10:04:57 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on August 01, 2007, 07:54:47 pm
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 01, 2007, 07:53:02 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on August 01, 2007, 07:51:12 pm
Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on August 01, 2007, 07:49:48 pm
Quote from: notshavintilnuttgo on August 01, 2007, 07:48:22 pm
Verified.  No surprise.

Verified? Are you kidding? Really? What's the deal? Who verified it?

Pay board.

Quote from: FootballHog on August 01, 2007, 07:49:54 pm
Why would he transfer a month before the season starts?

Dale.

But no announcement yet, right?

You heard it here first.  Gotta love them evil intranets.

No, you didnt hear it here first.  Just sayin'.

Go read the thread. He wasn't talking about the news of the transfer.

I dont have to read the thread, his quote was on page one and all of the relevent quotes are right above, in gray.  Keep up.

I'll type it slowly, as if it would matter.

H-o-g-v-i-l-l-e

i-s

n-o-t

c-l-a-i-m-i-n-g

w-e

b-r-o-k-e

i-t

f-i-r-s-t.

I-f

w-e

w-e-r-e

I

w-o-u-l-d

n-o-t

h-a-v-e

m-o-v-e-d

i-t

t-o

r-u-m-o-r-s.   

Geez, it's like I'm talking about the Razorbacks with my brother's kids.

Fatty McGee

Bartley Webb = the smartest of the Springdale 5.  Like Cleveland, Mustain, and Williams he had a chance to go anywhere in the nation.  He chose a great academic school, a very good coach who can prepare for him for the pros, a school with a great football tradition, and a pretty good team in the present.

The rest followed their hearts to a school with only one of those things, and it may not even have that for long if its QB hasn't improved. 

Mr. Perfect

I seriously doubt he ever starts much less goes pro.

Fatty McGee

So he leaves with an education from one of the top schools in the country and an unrivaled national alumni network which as a former player he can probably tap for a good job anywhere he wants.  That's his WORST CASE scenario.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Fatty McGee on August 01, 2007, 10:41:12 pm
So he leaves with an education from one of the top schools in the country and an unrivaled national alumni network which as a former player he can probably tap for a good job anywhere he wants.  That's his WORST CASE scenario.

No doubt he made the best decision so far.

DaniHog

This is so not true.  The atmosphere has been great within the football team.  Recruiting is great and the coaches are fired up for a great season.  Was there today...this post could not be further from the truth.  Good try in your attempt to stir it up in Fayetteville.

Quote from: arcowboy on August 01, 2007, 08:07:02 pm
Don't be too surprised to hear that the one is leaving.   Things are not near as rosey on the hill as the used car salesman would have everyone believe.   I know for a  fact that there is a lot of tension on the hill right now and when practice starts there is going to be alot more. 

When someone like Nutt goes all out to tell you how great things are and how great everyone is bonding together it is  a smoke screen as to what is actually going on.   It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

U.P. HOGG

I don't think this has anything to do with Nutt or the offense. I think it has to do with being the 4th best WR on the team and an upcoming recruiting class full of WR studs. But of course, this thread will probably be spun out of proportion.

Those days are long gone.  Now and days, and I'm not necessarily speaking of Norman, but a lot of kids are more about me, me, me, me, me, me.  Get out there and earn a spot just like everyone else does.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Don't the best coaches lead by example.  Don't we want a coach who the players will emmulate.

Well guess what we've got one.

Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: Fatty McGee on August 01, 2007, 10:34:28 pm

I think it went out with coaches honoring their word.  They seem to go hand in hand.

NM

Dwight_K_Shrute

Missed the news at 10:00.

1.  Were there any reports of this on the sports broadcast?
2.  Did they give credit to any message board for breaking the story?

If not I'm writing a scathing letter to the general manager of the station.

Realist

Anyone who has said anything about this being about Houston Nutt is stupid and obviously has never spoken to Andrew about the situation.  I spoke to him in March and all he was talking about was getting ready for this season and how pumped he was.  Someone made a joke about Mitch and he laughed and made a comment about it as well.  Not saying he hates Mitch or anything but his allegiances were clearly with the razorbacks and nobody else.  
If this is true and he is transferring, it is solely to do with playing time and being buried on the depth chart and nothing else.  
There really should be no debate about this one because it is clear as day when it comes to Andrew on this subject.  He will not hide his feelings one bit about the whole situation and he has stayed loyal to the program throughout.  

Immensehog

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on August 01, 2007, 10:55:27 pm

Sully gave 1t 5 seconds at the end of his sportscast.

Called it "late news from the hill".

Said Beau would have more tomorrow.

Life is short.  Act accordingly.

hogblade

Another month and just another transfer on the hill...

The Boar War

August 01, 2007, 11:06:33 pm #131 Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 11:11:22 pm by The Boar War
I wish Andrew Norman the best at Tulsa or wherever he goes.  This, however, is far from headline news.  As easy as it is to think that this is all about Houston (the anti-Nutt argument) or about wr depth and next years recruits (the pro-Nutt argument), it is probably something else.  If it was Houston why wait until 2 days before practice?  Nutt has been the coach all off season.  If he had concerns about his ability to compete and start at his position surely he would have at least participated in the fall practice to see where he ended up?

Maybe Tulsa is in the same kind of scholarship position we are.  Kale Pick is coming in December to tally his scholarship on the 2007 class.  Maybe they could use a scholarship for a December transfer.  Im not saying Gus asked him to do this.  That would be extremely unethical.        

FWF79

Maybe he will go to USC. I hear they are actually working on a national championship.

Fatty McGee

Theirs is actually no longer "under construction", they're just adding the trophy case.  But Pete does love that helmet! 

Fatty McGee

You're Andrew Norman.  You've sat through all this nonsense of the last year.  You're a decent receiver but you know you're likely not going to go pro.

You look at the offense, and realize that even when it didn't have great backs, it wasn't that great.  You look at the QB development, and you're underwhelmed.  Even if you think you have a shot at going pro, you realize this is probably one of the worst places to do it, because the opportunities just aren't there for even the 2nd receiver on this team.

You just want to catch passes.  Why stay at Arkansas?

Michael Porkleone

=
Quote from: hog.goblin on August 01, 2007, 09:54:08 pm
Norman won the Heisman for me on NCAA 2007 (his sophomore year).  He will be missed.

Well,

Marquis wade won for me (his senior year) so we're covered.

:)
Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Cartoon Man

arcowboy you are right on.  The man cannot tell the truth. If he is still here next year, I don't know what I'll do. Play more golf I guess.

hog.goblin

Quote from: Yindao on August 01, 2007, 11:18:42 pm

=
Quote from: hog.goblin on August 01, 2007, 09:54:08 pm

Well,

Marquis wade won for me (his senior year) so we're covered.

:)

+1 for keeping this thread on track! 

cosmodrum

Only one more to go Dalehole.

You make it so damn difficult to be a Hog fan, something I've been, with ease, for as long as I can remember.

And yes, Huggers, I'm blaming Captain Dingleberry. It's not a friggin' coincidence that Norman is leaving, too.

Yeah, flash your first-loser ring again, champ!
Go away, batin'

Hoot72

Put yourself in Andrew Norman's shoes for just a minute -- every where you go, people stop you and want to talk to you.  After the first couple of minutes it is obvious, that don't care about you -- they only want to ask you about Mitch, Damien, and Gus.  You realize that even after they are gone, you are still in their shadow; and if you stay four more year years -- you always will be.  The option that you have -- leave and go to another school; and that is what you decide to do.  There are a couple of schools that are interested -- not schools that any else would consider.  But you're leaving.

Folks, that makes all the sense in the world to me.

porkurina

jkelly107

Anyone from the Ft Smith area wanna get together and go to the Tulsa games?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: pioneerhog on August 01, 2007, 08:28:07 pm
Where does this leave Ben Cleveland?

It leaves him as an extra blocker.  No change for Ben.  That's all he was ever going to do in Houston's offense.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Beau McCastlain

Quote from: Immensehog on August 01, 2007, 10:57:36 pm

Thanks for the heads up.. I better get to work!!! :)

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Beau McCastlain on August 01, 2007, 11:55:55 pm
Quote from: Immensehog on August 01, 2007, 10:57:36 pm

Thanks for the heads up.. I better get to work!!! :)

Come on Beau!  Get it together!  8)
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

RunDMCforHeisman

Good Luck AN.  Hope you catch a lot of balls.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Fatty McGee on August 01, 2007, 11:16:13 pm
You're Andrew Norman.  You've sat through all this nonsense of the last year.  You're a decent receiver but you know you're likely not going to go pro.

You look at the offense, and realize that even when it didn't have great backs, it wasn't that great.  You look at the QB development, and you're underwhelmed.  Even if you think you have a shot at going pro, you realize this is probably one of the worst places to do it, because the opportunities just aren't there for even the 2nd receiver on this team.

You just want to catch passes.  Why stay at Arkansas?

Bullseye.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Realist

Quote from: Albert Einswine on August 01, 2007, 11:45:09 pm
Quote from: pioneerhog on August 01, 2007, 08:28:07 pm
Where does this leave Ben Cleveland?

It leaves him as an extra blocker.  No change for Ben.  That's all he was ever going to do in Houston's offense.
Ya, since thats all Peyton Hillis does and all TE's do in David Lee's offense right?  Ingenius

ScotchHog

Quote from: alcapone507 on August 01, 2007, 11:47:31 pm
Good for Norman.  He wasn't going to have more than 30 balls thrown to him in his whole career at Arkansas.
30?!?  That's insane.  He would get one token pass his junior season and one his senior season.  And those would be the only two times he got in a game his entire career.  He might be a terrific receiver, but HDN would never allow that to be discovered.
Always waiting

Flatfoot

Quote from: ScotchHog on August 02, 2007, 12:24:09 am
Quote from: alcapone507 on August 01, 2007, 11:47:31 pm
Good for Norman.  He wasn't going to have more than 30 balls thrown to him in his whole career at Arkansas.
30?!?  That's insane.  He would get one token pass his junior season and one his senior season.  And those would be the only two times he got in a game his entire career.  He might be a terrific receiver, but HDN would never allow that to be discovered.

How much do any of you want to bet that you see the triple option this year.  David wll be bringing back the bag of OLD Tricks. 

Passing Game?  The Expert Big Daddy Frank has never heard that word in all of his life.  When he first started playing football the foward pass hadn't even been invented.
Thank God for Hogville.  I get my Hog Therapy here everyday.