Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This recruiting class is no better than Nutt's last 6--and no Texas recruits

Started by silvertip, July 31, 2007, 09:54:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jpenrod1

Quote from: donewithdale on July 31, 2007, 12:20:58 pm
Quote from: rzrbcks2120 on July 31, 2007, 12:04:24 pm
Quote from: donewithdale on July 31, 2007, 11:51:16 am
THE INSTATE RECRUITING HAS NOT BEEN CRITICIZED.

The thing that I have a problem with is how our Texas recruiting is being criticized. There are going to be up and down years when it comes to number of recruits from certain states. It depends on who the Hogs have targeted as well as who else is recruiting the kids and things of that nature. Having said that...

Scout.com shows we have offered 10 Texans in the 2008 recruiting class. Of them only 2 have committed-- 1 to the Hogs (Okpara) and 1 to North Texas. I say we wait and see where those other 8 Texans commit before we complain about a lack of Texas recruits. Should we end up with less than our 7 or 8 Texan average I don't think it's as big a deal as silvertip makes it seem. As I said there will be up and down years depending on where most of our targets/commits are from.

I think its a huge deal if we don't get a number of players from Texas.  Its fine if we want to take a chance on a kid in Georgia or Alabama or Florida that the powers there overlook.  But in Texas, Arkansas did have connections and should still to where we can get players of quality who have been in year round programs where facilities and competition make them much more ready for college football than most other places.  The talent pool is deep enough there to where we shouldn't have to take chances on players.  I think the staff grew a fascination with the Florida/Georgia area because of Vaughn and his ties there and we have wasted more time and resources than what it has been worth.

The point is that some of these players, are not players the "Powers" overlooked. these are players that we took from them. usually when we get kids from texas it is the scraps. the leftover kids. his year we are getting players other teams wanted. we are getting quality players and getting lots of them. our class keeps getting better, and by the end of the year, this class will be top 25. I am not satisfied with that but it is a lot better than what we have been doing.

Boog41

Whether you are a darksider or a hugger, whether you like silvertip's posts or not, if you go by Rivals current rankings, he is dead on.

We are currently ranked 14th because of quantity, not quality. That ranking is based off total points, not avg stars. If a school had 50 one star recruits they would be listed highly also.

Like others, I hope/think many of our recruits will be upgraded and our avg star ranking will keep us in the top 20 classes.

In the respect that the HOGS have so many early commitments, this is the best class that I can remember. Having all of these early commitments is great provided we fill those last spots with real quality.

But, based strictly on Rivals star rating, as of today, this class is avg with what we have had the past six years.

silvertip

Quote from: 351hog on July 31, 2007, 01:13:13 pm
This gets my vote for worst thread today.  You know you are talking about a class that Rivals currently has ranked 14th in the nation don't you?? 

This is just another laughable attempt by silvertip to make the coaching staff look bad....his past attempts have failed so he has now moved on the future razorback football players.  It just kills darksiders like you to see this coaching staff succeed at anything doesnt it?  You bash them prior to last season, but then 10 wins isn't enough....we have a top 15 class so far, but it isn't good enough.  This is just an old man who is trying to get attention at other people's expense.  Again, its laughable. 

Well, the joke's on you, 351hog. As with most huggers, just the simplest statistical analysis escapes you.

That 14th ranking by Rivals right now is practically meaningless. Those rankings are a combination of quantity and quality. The Hogs are ranked that high simply because they have 18 commits; while an LSU only has 13 and Penn State has only 5.

At this point, the most meaningful comparison is "average star rating."
Penn State with 3.6 and LSU with 3.23 will leave the Hogs in the dust, as their full classes start to be reported.

First, learn to read a site like Rivals. Then, come back and discuss what this thread is about---QUALITY, NOT QUANTITY.

This Hog class will steadily sink toward 30th, unless the Coaches get down to a place like TEXAS where there is still talent available. They've about got all they're going to get from Arkansas. The EASY part is done. Now, we'll see what this Hog staff can do.

catfish07

Quote from: silvertip on July 31, 2007, 01:41:24 pm
This gets my vote for worst thread today.  You know you are talking about a class that Rivals currently has ranked 14th in the nation don't you?? 

This is just another laughable attempt by silvertip to make the coaching staff look bad....his past attempts have failed so he has now moved on the future razorback football players.  It just kills darksiders like you to see this coaching staff succeed at anything doesnt it?  You bash them prior to last season, but then 10 wins isn't enough....we have a top 15 class so far, but it isn't good enough.  This is just an old man who is trying to get attention at other people's expense.  Again, its laughable. 

Tip, are you going to ignore today's news of the commit from Texas?

Well, the joke's on you, 351hog. As with most huggers, just the simplest statistical analysis escapes you.

That 14th ranking by Rivals right now is practically meaningless. Those rankings are a combination of quantity and quality. The Hogs are ranked that high simply because they have 18 commits; while an LSU only has 13 and Penn State has only 5.

Penn State with 3.6 and LSU with 3.23 will leave the Hogs in the dust, as their full classes start to be reported.

First, learn to read a site like Rivals. Then, come back and discuss what this thread is about---QUALITY, NOT QUANTITY.

This Hog class will steadily sink toward 30th, unless the Coaches get down to a place like TEXAS where there is still talent available. They've about got all they're going to get from Arkansas. The EASY part is done. Now, we'll see what this Hog staff can do.
"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

slopinhogs

us here arky boys kin whup Texass any day just give usn a chaince.ya hear :razorback:
win lose or tie i'll call the hogs till i die

hoginbama

Must have posted before Devin Thomas committed.

Junior Okpara is from Texas, too.

Most of these guys have not been evaluated by the so - called experts. Events on the Hill must be going too smoothly to suit some of you. Sorry about that.

Go Hogs Go!!!

Mark
HogInBama

Cartoon Man

What do you expect with a Nutt in charge. A Nutt can't coach football, and a Nutt can't coach basketball.

silvertip

Quote from: catfish07 on July 31, 2007, 01:21:40 pm
Looks like we just got Devin Thomas, top 100 from Texas.

What do you have Tip?

Thanks for the update. Another 3-star RB, looks like a great player for Nutt's system. And from Texas as well. Nutt is dead-on to getting exactly the class he always does.

We now have 9 QBs, RBs, WRs in this class, and 4 DBs. Only 4 OL & DL
combined.

Here's hoping we're going to get some more big-uglies in this class. That's what seperates contenders from pretenders.  WPS!!

catfish07

Quote from: silvertip on July 31, 2007, 01:54:51 pm
Quote from: catfish07 on July 31, 2007, 01:21:40 pm
Looks like we just got Devin Thomas, top 100 from Texas.

What do you have Tip?

Agreed, let's finish strong getting good players where need them!

Go Hogs!

Thanks for the update. Another 3-star RB, looks like a great player for Nutt's system. And from Texas as well. Nutt is dead-on to getting exactly the class he always does.

We now have 9 QBs, RBs, WRs in this class, and 4 DBs. Only 4 OL & DL
combined.

Here's hoping we're going to get some more big-uglies in this class. That's what seperates contenders from pretenders.  WPS!!
"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

Hugulus Hog

Just a few observations here.

1. I can't keep up with what makes hdn such an awful coach this week.  10 in-state players have decided to stay home and play for the hogs.  I guess that means we can't trot out the "how's that fence building going hdn?" jokes.  So now hdn is obviously inferior because, "We've only got 2 commits from the state of Texas."  

This argument seems feeble.  

hdn would be excoriated if he didn't land the elite in-state prospects.  "Fire hdn. He let the Warren kids leave the state." So the answer to a successful in-state recruiting season is to fry the coaching staff for not having 10+ commits from Texas?  We're going to have to make up our minds on this.  

2. Some of these critiques on young men who have committed to play for the Razorbacks seem like attacks because they don't have the "right" home state.  I disagree with attacking players.

3. Rivals ranks our class at 14th in the country.  It's hard to accept the contention that the 14th ranked class in the nation is trash.

TheHogFan

Quote from: silvertip on July 31, 2007, 12:30:20 pm
Quote from: TheHogFan on July 31, 2007, 11:52:57 am
Quote from: donewithdale on July 31, 2007, 11:45:08 am
Quote from: TheHogFan on July 31, 2007, 11:39:28 am
Quote from: Topcat on July 31, 2007, 10:46:41 am
If the star system is so great why would coaches continue to evaluate players? They could just subscribe to Rivals and save alot of work. The truth is the star system is full of holes. Some of the 2 star players wind up in the NFL and some of the 5 star players wind up at the car wash. Do you think a running back in Altheimer gets the same attention as a back in Atlanta even if they have equal ability? Of course not. These type of services are designed for one purpose, to make money.     
Coaches scoff at these ratings systems. They could care less about them. People need to realize what these pasy sites are. A BUSINESS!!!!!! They often use the stars to stir up business. Are they a good starting point? Absolutely! Are they the end all, be all? No way.

What system do you use then to declare how great this class is? 
I actually try to do the unthinkable and wait until they actually play a down for the team they commit to. I know it sounds insane, but that is what I do. I try and get others to just be patient and wait and see who becomes a stud and who becomes a dud, but understandably it does not work.
Everyone has all ready written off last years class just because of their rivals ranking. I think that is foolish. What if there is a couple JA's in this group? What if Patrick Jones turns into the next great DT at Arkansas? Then the 07 class begins to look a lot better doesn't it? At the end of the day it is about the RESULTS ON THE FIELD! Right? I mean, if this class or last years takes us to the next level, will you care about what their rivals ranking is?
Now if forced to judge how great this class is on the spot, then I use a combination of rivals and my own observations from their highlight videos. But again, people shouldn't get all worked up until they actually play a year or two.

You're right---at the end of the day, it's about results on the field.

Year after year, on-the-field results for Arkansas, the SEC, and other BCS Conference schools correlate very closely with their recruiting classes of 2, 3, 4 years ago.

It's well documented, the results are in. The recruiting rankings by Rivals, Scout are accurate predictors of future performance on the field.

As is the hugger-habit, ANY set of stats and historical data that fails to worship Their Hero is discounted. Even though they will use the same facts when it supports their arguments. Pitiful.
I am not sure who my hero is suppose to be. It can't be Nutt bc I wouldn't shed a tear if he gets fired. I would not waste my money and conduct a poll about the state's feelings on him either. This is what you people either will not, or can not grasp. Those people you claim are "huggers" are nothing of the sort, we just do not have an unhealthly hatred of a college football coach. And yes you do have an unhealthly hatred. Anyone who spends thousands of their own money to conduct a poll about a coach has issues.

Realist

QuoteWell, the joke's on you, 351hog. As with most huggers, just the simplest statistical analysis escapes you.

This is inaccurate as the average stars is only a part of the ranking.  They do take into account how many players they sign.  For instance last year Ohio State had an average star ranking of 3.80 which if solely based on that they would have been ranked first.  However they only signed 12 four stars and 3 three stars and were ranked 15th.
If we were to base Arkansas solely on avg star ratings at this juncture, we would be at, what do you know 14th with 2.89.  With only 6 spots left, we will not be signing a couple 2 star guys late to fill up the class like in years past.  And the rankings of our current commitments will be going up.  Some that come to mind are Justin Smith, Austin Eoff, Cruz Williams, Thomas Shuler are definites to be bumped.  Greg Childs will be bumped to a 5.7 most likely (highest 3 star possible).  Usually the more commitments you get the lower your average star rating goes down.  That will not be the case for Arkansas because we went after who we wanted regardless of ranking and rivals has recognized that some of the guys we got are talented and do deserve to be rated higher.  The ones I mentioned have been mentioned by the National Recruiting Experts on rivals.  Depending on the outcome of the remaining 6 we will sign, our ranking will be in the teens somewhere.  But because of the fact that we will have MAYBE 2 two stars, our ranking will not drop that much at all.  Look back on past years, and if you can read the data right, you MIGHT understand.  

TheHogFan

Quote from: Realist on July 31, 2007, 02:07:10 pm
QuoteWell, the joke's on you, 351hog. As with most huggers, just the simplest statistical analysis escapes you.

This is inaccurate as the average stars is only a part of the ranking.  They do take into account how many players they sign.  For instance last year Ohio State had an average star ranking of 3.80 which if solely based on that they would have been ranked first.  However they only signed 12 four stars and 3 three stars and were ranked 15th.
If we were to base Arkansas solely on avg star ratings at this juncture, we would be at, what do you know 14th with 2.89.  With only 6 spots left, we will not be signing a couple 2 star guys late to fill up the class like in years past.  And the rankings of our current commitments will be going up.  Some that come to mind are Justin Smith, Austin Eoff, Cruz Williams, Thomas Shuler are definites to be bumped.  Greg Childs will be bumped to a 5.7 most likely (highest 3 star possible).  Usually the more commitments you get the lower your average star rating goes down.  That will not be the case for Arkansas because we went after who we wanted regardless of ranking and rivals has recognized that some of the guys we got are talented and do deserve to be rated higher.  The ones I mentioned have been mentioned by the National Recruiting Experts on rivals.  Depending on the outcome of the remaining 6 we will sign, our ranking will be in the teens somewhere.  But because of the fact that we will have MAYBE 2 two stars, our ranking will not drop that much at all.  Look back on past years, and if you can read the data right, you MIGHT understand.  
Don't you just hate when those darn statistics come back to nip you in the butt.

Shizzle

I would like to state first of all I am far from a Hugger. I have been completely disappointed with Nutt for the last few years. Arkansas has become so one dimensional it is pitiful. I was shocked at the treatment of Mitch Mustain, he was done wrong. I did like the game Houston Nutt coached back in the Stoerner era. I think we have a very able stable of assistant coaches, I think Herring is a superb defensive coach, Rocker is great in my opinion. I do not think Shibest has any business coaching in major college our special teams with the exception of DMac and Jones natural ability to return kicks are horrible. I don't know what David Lee is going to bring as far as coaching ability, hopefully we will be more balanced. I am impressed with DL's recruiting. I think we are building a very competitive class in the SEC. I am also excited to see how Nutt will coach and run the program once Frank is gone because I guarantee you Broyles has had the squeeze on Nutt for the last few years. I hope we rebound into the 21st century now that Frank is supposedly gone. I think we are headed in the right direction and if Nutt don't balance things out and win then he should be fired. I also think people should lay off these kids that are committing to the Hogs because they are being asked to come here they don't deserve to be talked about.
www.southernlandmanagement.com If I may be of any assistance.

hoghart

Quote from: silvertip on July 31, 2007, 09:54:03 am
With 18 signees already, this recruiting class is about 2/3 full and looks no better that your average Nutt class since '02. In fact, with an average Rivals star rating of 2.89, this class is right at Nutt's 6-year average of 2.90.

What I find alarming is the lack of Texas high school recruits. This class SO FAR has ONE recruit from Texas, a 3-star LB. Over the last 6 seasons, the Hogs average 7.3 recruits from Texas, with the usual # being 8. On average, the Hog's sign 26 players/year, so in order to reach our typical 8 Texas recruits, 7 of our final 8 signees would have to be Texans.

Where is the great recruiting "advantage" in Texas that some people claimed Coach Lee would bring? At this rate, this will be the Hog's weakest haul from Texas in decades. In '02, we got only 5 from Texas, but 3 of those were 4-stars.

Here is your average "star-rating" for the typical 26 signees in the Hog's last 6 classes, compared to the projected average this year, if the rest of this class is like the first 18 signees:

............6-yr avg....this year
4-stars........4............4
3-stars.......15...........15
2-stars........7............7

Big "improvement," huh? Where does the mantra come from that this class is such an upgrade over past classes? The only "improvement" is that these guys have "committed" earlier. So what? I think a lot of the "buzz" about this class is originating with the usual BAC spin-machine, and you see a lot of huggers pushing that spin on the message boards.

There is a danger in signing this many 2 & 3-star recruits so quickly. It might cause a 4-star to turn away if his position is getting crowded. EXAMPLE: The one remaining 4-star Arkie kid, WR Joe Adams, can look at this Hogs class and see that we've already signed 4 WRs, including one 4-star & two 3-stars. He might decide to go somewhere that will actually USE that many WRs.

What is the hurry to sign so many mid-level recruits, except perhaps for PR spin?   

I'm not a recruiting guru, but I see one problem with your argument:  You don't want this class to be like the previous classes, but you do want it to have the same ratio of Texas players.

Maybe that has been some of our problem to date, that we relied too heavily on the Texas talent pool, even after they had been picked through by all the Texas schools.

I think a change in direction is healthy, but we won't know for a few months at best. 
"It is better to be quiet and thought a fool than to open your mouth and prove it."
Abraham Lincoln

Topcat

Quote from: silvertip on July 31, 2007, 01:41:24 pm

At the risk of being labeled a hugger (which i'm not), how can an average star rating be meaningful if the star ratings are going to change for some of the players? 

umpbackwail

Quote from: TheHogFan on July 31, 2007, 02:02:15 pm
Quote from: silvertip on July 31, 2007, 12:30:20 pm
Quote from: TheHogFan on July 31, 2007, 11:52:57 am
Quote from: donewithdale on July 31, 2007, 11:45:08 am
Quote from: TheHogFan on July 31, 2007, 11:39:28 am
Quote from: Topcat on July 31, 2007, 10:46:41 am
If the star system is so great why would coaches continue to evaluate players? They could just subscribe to Rivals and save alot of work. The truth is the star system is full of holes. Some of the 2 star players wind up in the NFL and some of the 5 star players wind up at the car wash. Do you think a running back in Altheimer gets the same attention as a back in Atlanta even if they have equal ability? Of course not. These type of services are designed for one purpose, to make money.     
Coaches scoff at these ratings systems. They could care less about them. People need to realize what these pasy sites are. A BUSINESS!!!!!! They often use the stars to stir up business. Are they a good starting point? Absolutely! Are they the end all, be all? No way.

What system do you use then to declare how great this class is? 
I actually try to do the unthinkable and wait until they actually play a down for the team they commit to. I know it sounds insane, but that is what I do. I try and get others to just be patient and wait and see who becomes a stud and who becomes a dud, but understandably it does not work.
Everyone has all ready written off last years class just because of their rivals ranking. I think that is foolish. What if there is a couple JA's in this group? What if Patrick Jones turns into the next great DT at Arkansas? Then the 07 class begins to look a lot better doesn't it? At the end of the day it is about the RESULTS ON THE FIELD! Right? I mean, if this class or last years takes us to the next level, will you care about what their rivals ranking is?
Now if forced to judge how great this class is on the spot, then I use a combination of rivals and my own observations from their highlight videos. But again, people shouldn't get all worked up until they actually play a year or two.

You're right---at the end of the day, it's about results on the field.

Year after year, on-the-field results for Arkansas, the SEC, and other BCS Conference schools correlate very closely with their recruiting classes of 2, 3, 4 years ago.

It's well documented, the results are in. The recruiting rankings by Rivals, Scout are accurate predictors of future performance on the field.

As is the hugger-habit, ANY set of stats and historical data that fails to worship Their Hero is discounted. Even though they will use the same facts when it supports their arguments. Pitiful.
I am not sure who my hero is suppose to be. It can't be Nutt bc I wouldn't shed a tear if he gets fired. I would not waste my money and conduct a poll about the state's feelings on him either. This is what you people either will not, or can not grasp. Those people you claim are "huggers" are nothing of the sort, we just do not have an unhealthly hatred of a college football coach. And yes you do have an unhealthly hatred. Anyone who spends thousands of their own money to conduct a poll about a coach has issues.

And all the people said "Amen and Amen"

Boog41

Guess I'm a dummy, but I just realized on Rivals homepage that you can actually sort the class rankings by any of those columns...... Again, realizing it will get better as our recruits are upgraded, but we aren't in the top 25 based on avg number of stars.

I realize stars aren't necessarily the "tell all", but that is what this thread is based on.

Melhog

Quote from: Realist on July 31, 2007, 02:07:10 pm

By the way, the NATIONAL RECRUITING EXPERTS  at Rivals you mention are Otis and Trey Biddy.  These guys you reference may deserve to get their stars "bumped up", but let's keep it in perspective as to who will do the evaluating.  Whether you are a hugger or a darksider, it is no secret that Otis takes every opportunity to pump up our beloved Coach Nutt.

HogFanLR

The ones that will get the bump have not been rated yet.  That is why they are two stars.  (or at least true on 4 of them)  So their evaluation when received will be as good as any other evaluation. 

Realist

QuoteBy the way, the NATIONAL RECRUITING EXPERTS  at Rivals you mention are Otis and Trey Biddy.  These guys you reference may deserve to get their stars "bumped up", but let's keep it in perspective as to who will do the evaluating.  Whether you are a hugger or a darksider, it is no secret that Otis takes every opportunity to pump up our beloved Coach Nutt.
I feel bad for you that you are so misinformed.  When I said Jerry Meyer, I meant Jerry Meyer.  The others are JC Shurburtt and Jeremy Crabtree
Here is what Shurburtt has to say about Eoff
"This 6-foot-5, 308-pounder has impressed at multiple summer camps and should see his ranking rise during the next update. He is already committed to Arkansas (which is no surprise considering that staff's ability to evaluate talent), so don't expect a ton of additional attention, but he's a great player and one to remember nonetheless. "
If you are a member of rivals you can also go check out the video analysis Jerry Meyer did of our recruiting class last week in which he calls Jay Wright a stud, and says we may have the biggest sleeper in the south Justin Smith and his recruiting was about to explode. 
Also, they mention Marcal Robinson in another video of having a great camp at Auburn. 
As I said those 3 have commented on Cruz Williams, Justin Smith, Thomas Shuler, Marcal Robinson, Austin Eoff all recently. 
And also if you think Greg Childs is the 80th best receiver in the nation, well then I feel no need to debate recruiting rankings with you. 

Last year we had like 7 two star commitments.  This year we MIGHT have 2. 

Melhog

Quote from: HogFanLR on July 31, 2007, 02:32:41 pm
The ones that will get the bump have not been rated yet.  That is why they are two stars.  (or at least true on 4 of them)  So their evaluation when received will be as good as any other evaluation. 

Again, the guys who evaluate Arkansas players

Like I said, Tbiddy and Otis will be the ones evaluating the Arkansas guys. Now how objective that will be who knows. Otis in particular seems to pump up recruits once Arkansas gets on them.  Go read the little bio on Austin Eoff and tell me one of those two didn't write it. Again, maybe they deserve to have higher star rankings. I don't know. All I do know is, I'm not completely confident that Otis has the ability to properly evaluate anybody.

Realist

Quote from: Melhog on July 31, 2007, 02:52:00 pm

Again, the guys who evaluate Arkansas players

Like I said, Tbiddy and Otis will be the ones evaluating the Arkansas guys. Now how objective that will be who knows. Otis in particular seems to pump up recruits once Arkansas gets on them.  Go read the little bio on Austin Eoff and tell me one of those two didn't write it. Again, maybe they deserve to have higher star rankings. I don't know. All I do know is, I'm not completely confident that Otis has the ability to properly evaluate anybody.
And Otis Kirk is not the person doing the rivals 250 regardless of what you want to tell yourself.  Meyer and the others are the ones who do the main updates.  Otis and others do the regional and state rankings.  Sometimes they pull from those list but not always the same as evidence by two different rankings for Arkansas.

Melhog

Quote from: Realist on July 31, 2007, 02:50:34 pm
QuoteBy the way, the NATIONAL RECRUITING EXPERTS  at Rivals you mention are Otis and Trey Biddy.  These guys you reference may deserve to get their stars "bumped up", but let's keep it in perspective as to who will do the evaluating.  Whether you are a hugger or a darksider, it is no secret that Otis takes every opportunity to pump up our beloved Coach Nutt.
I feel bad for you that you are so misinformed.  When I said Jerry Meyer, I meant Jerry Meyer.  The others are JC Shurburtt and Jeremy Crabtree
"This 6-foot-5, 308-pounder has impressed at multiple summer camps and should see his ranking rise during the next update. He is already committed to Arkansas (which is no surprise considering that staff's ability to evaluate talent), so don't expect a ton of additional attention, but he's a great player and one to remember nonetheless. "
If you are a member of rivals you can also go check out the video analysis Jerry Meyer did of our recruiting class last week in which he calls Jay Wright a stud, and says we may have the biggest sleeper in the south Justin Smith and his recruiting was about to explode. 
Also, they mention Marcal Robinson in another video of having a great camp at Auburn. 
As I said those 3 have commented on Cruz Williams, Justin Smith, Thomas Shuler, Marcal Robinson, Austin Eoff all recently. 
And also if you think Greg Childs is the 80th best receiver in the nation, well then I feel no need to debate recruiting rankings with you. 

Well I'm sorry I am so uniformed.  SOunds like you are a real recruiting expert since you know where recruits ought to be ranked.  Maybe you ought to be working along side Otis since you are so good at evaluating talent. I bet you have watched these guys in person haven't you instead of some highlight reel???  Give it a rest Mr. Recruiting Guru. Let's wait and see if your beloved Coach Dale breaks the Top 30 nationally in recruiting and better than 7th in the SEC.  If he can do that this yr then maybe I'll debate recruiting with you.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Boar in the USA on July 31, 2007, 01:07:37 pm
With 18 signees already, this recruiting class is about 2/3 full and looks no better that your average Nutt class since '02. In fact, with an average Rivals star rating of 2.89, this class is right at Nutt's 6-year average of 2.90.

What I find alarming is the lack of Texas high school recruits. This class SO FAR has ONE recruit from Texas, a 3-star LB. Over the last 6 seasons, the Hogs average 7.3 recruits from Texas, with the usual # being 8. On average, the Hog's sign 26 players/year, so in order to reach our typical 8 Texas recruits, 7 of our final 8 signees would have to be Texans.

Where is the great recruiting "advantage" in Texas that some people claimed Coach Lee would bring? At this rate, this will be the Hog's weakest haul from Texas in decades. In '02, we got only 5 from Texas, but 3 of those were 4-stars.

Here is your average "star-rating" for the typical 26 signees in the Hog's last 6 classes, compared to the projected average this year, if the rest of this class is like the first 18 signees:

Big "improvement," huh? Where does the mantra come from that this class is such an upgrade over past classes? The only "improvement" is that these guys have "committed" earlier. So what? I think a lot of the "buzz" about this class is originating with the usual BAC spin-machine, and you see a lot of huggers pushing that spin on the message boards.

There is a danger in signing this many 2 & 3-star recruits so quickly. It might cause a 4-star to turn away if his position is getting crowded. EXAMPLE: The one remaining 4-star Arkie kid, WR Joe Adams, can look at this Hogs class and see that we've already signed 4 WRs, including one 4-star & two 3-stars. He might decide to go somewhere that will actually USE that many WRs.

What is the hurry to sign so many mid-level recruits, except perhaps for PR spin?   
You now actively root against the Hogs; it's clear that you want them to fail. You see them getting credit for a good recruiting class and it tears you up inside. You can't stand it. So, you concoct this idiotic post to try to bring down the mood. What a prick.

Who besides Nutt, huggers, and the BAC mouthpieces aka "supposed" journalist, are woofing about this class?

Who?
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Realist

Quote from: Melhog on July 31, 2007, 02:57:47 pm

Well I'm sorry I am so uniformed.  SOunds like you are a real recruiting expert since you know where recruits ought to be ranked.  Maybe you ought to be working along side Otis since you are so good at evaluating talent. I bet you have watched these guys in person haven't you instead of some highlight reel???  Give it a rest Mr. Recruiting Guru. Let's wait and see if your beloved Coach Dale breaks the Top 30 nationally in recruiting and better than 7th in the SEC.  If he can do that this yr then maybe I'll debate recruiting with you.
Don't be so cynical Mel.  If you speak of what you don't know, people will point that out to you. And for the record, the rivals main office is 2 miles from my house and I have a free lifetime membership, so tell me how I can get that.   ;)

Realist

QuoteWho besides Nutt, huggers, and the BAC mouthpieces aka "supposed" journalist, are woofing about this class?

Who?
JC Shurburtt, Mike Farrell and Jeremy Crabtree for starters, and if your curious.  They are the people who run Rivals in Brentwood, TN

Chief Mac

Quote from: Realist on July 31, 2007, 03:04:35 pm
QuoteWho besides Nutt, huggers, and the BAC mouthpieces aka "supposed" journalist, are woofing about this class?

Who?
JC Shurburtt, Mike Farrell and Jeremy Crabtree for starters, and if your curious.  They are the people who run Rivals in Brentwood, TN

Got a link?  Oh and BTW I know who Farrell and Crabtree are
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

online-with-swine

Things I take from this thread:

1. We are getting our plan A recruits to commit earlier.
2. The commits we have hold offers from better programs than years past.
3. We are going to get a jump on evaluating and recruiting next years class.

The flip side of the argument:

1. We are offering our plan C and D recruits earlier to avoid the last minute rush.
2. We can't trust Rivals and or Scout to have accurate information or the recruits are lying about their offers.
3. This set of coaches won't be around to recruit next years class anyway.

Which side to believe??  I think I will take the wait and see approach.

Realist

Mike Farrell did the video feature of "Arkansas on a roll"
JC Shurburtt just mentioned Eoff in the sleepers of the south article from either today or yesterday.  If your a member you can easily find those 2 for starters

gohawgsgo

We have never gotten this caliber of committments this early.  No matter who tries to spin it otherwise, this class is shaping up great.  We usually close strong.  If we finish strong this year it will be one of our best classes of all-time.  Curtis, Thomas,  and Shuler is quite a haul at RB and I bet we might have a few more surprises before it is over.  It is time to enjoy our rise back to national prominence.  It started last year and nothing appears to be slowing it down.  Some of the secret agent spies better get to work or we might actually become a premier program again!  WPS ;)

kennedy

Melhog

Quote from: Realist on July 31, 2007, 03:01:32 pm

Don't be so cynical Mel.  If you speak of what you don't know, people will point that out to you. And for the record, the rivals main office is 2 miles from my house and I have a free lifetime membership, so tell me how I can get that.   ;)

Well I don't know Batman. Why don't you reveal your true identity if you're so close to Rivals. I know you're not Otis because you can form a complete sentence. 

club monaco

They are the same quality of players we always get, we are just getting them to commit earlier.  That way the head coach can spend the off season doing more charity work as opposed to chasing after high school kids. 

nychog

Can't you just say, "My bad.  I was wrong.?"  I guess not. Instead, you want to attack the poster for pointing out your inaccurate statements. 

jst01

UrAzoRbacKs

Quote from: GaRZRBCK on July 31, 2007, 02:59:37 pm

You now actively root against the Hogs; it's clear that you want them to fail. You see them getting credit for a good recruiting class and it tears you up inside. You can't stand it. So, you concoct this idiotic post to try to bring down the mood. What a prick.

Who besides Nutt, huggers, and the BAC mouthpieces aka "supposed" journalist, are woofing about this class?

Who?

I don't know about "woofing", but Richard Davenport, Tomcat, Woo_Pig_Stewie, and jbhicks (who are covering recruiting for HOGVILLE) seem to be excited about the class.  Perhaps I am wrong, but their posts about the recruits seem to be pretty positive to me.

Link:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?board=3.0

So I guess these guys are "mouthpieces" too??

ballhog88

What was the qoute I saw from rivals about there being so many kids from the south and southeast they couldn't evaluate all of them. I think they even said Arkansas coaches do an excellent job of evaluating kids they know little about.

I think we ought to hire STip as recruiting evaluator since he's got the time.

wholehog92

I think Silver makes some valid points about the star ratings of this class vs previous classes using the most neutral source we have.  I agree that starts aren't the end all be all of talent evaluation.  That being said, the schools with the highest average stars are consistently finishing higher ranked than those out of them.

That being said, there is a weakness in Tips reasoning by saying we aren't getting any TX players like we used to but I don't like that this class looks just like the previous ones.  Do you want them the same as previous or not?  I agree that we are "taking" more talent from top 25 teams than in the past, that is a good thing.  I think if we are completing our class sooner, these guys can get in on top players for 09 sooner, thought I'm not sure this staff will take advantage of that.  The benefit of getting guys early is being held against these guys in the sense that the talent is not ranked yet, so they are two star by default.  If they match up with Rivals recruiting evaluators, they may very well be 4 or 5 stars (I doubt it probably 3 star).  I also think we have to give credit for what we've been griping about.  In state talent is for the most part being kept here.  As for the TX issue, I think they will hit those guys to fill in late, but I don't care if the next AR all american comes from GA, FL, AK, or TX, just get here and contribute to winning. 

Also you can look at least year, we were getting kids from your sister state at the last minute to fill needs.  I feel like getting kids from competitive schools early is better than that which is an improvement to me.  At least we don't have any 5 star recruits to go the trouble of running off in this class.

Why it has Taken Nutt this long to start this is beyond me.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Melhog

Quote from: nychog on July 31, 2007, 03:16:21 pm

Can't you just say, "My bad.  I was wrong.?"  I guess not. Instead, you want to attack the poster for pointing out your inaccurate statements. 

I think you need to work on your reading comprehension.  Why don't you go back and read the posts and tell me who was attacking who before you attack me for attacking him.  I'm getting a headache. And I am not apologizing for something that I don't know is inaccurate. I still believe Tbiddy and Otis have alot to do with how an in-state kid is evaluated no matter who eventually writes about the recruit. They work for Rivals. Why wouldn't they be involved in evaluating a kid from Arkansas since they live here????

EastexHawg

Quote from: ballhog88 on July 31, 2007, 03:21:01 pm
What was the qoute I saw from rivals about there being so many kids from the south and southeast they couldn't evaluate all of them. I think they even said Arkansas coaches do an excellent job of evaluating kids they know little about.

I think the recruiting services have done a pretty good job evaluating Arkansas' classes under Nutt.  After all, HDN's classes have usually been rated around 7th or 8th in the SEC...

And if you added together wins and losses for the last seven or eight years (when Nutt's classes would have had a chance to work their way into the system), I bet that is about where we would rank in the SEC over that period.

The whole "recruiting is at an all-time record pace" spiel is exactly the same as the "ticket sales are at an all-time high for so early in the year" argument.

As I said before, if you deposit $100, $100, $100, $100, and $100 in a bank account, you are going to have exactly $500 when you are finished...whether you make the deposits in July, November, January, or February.

You don't make the pie bigger by simply cutting slices out of it sooner.

NMHOGG

The excitement about this class has to do with the kids their attitudes and film.  The stars mean little but I'll point out the star rating for this year is early and some will move up with the next round of evaluations and their SR season.  So just using your criteria your evaluation if premature or worse.

ST you have had your fame and glory things are righted and you are over.

J.A.Y.

I still want to know what Silvertip knows about football?

Has he ever played?

He still has not answered the question. If he has played he would know how a TEAM works. You recruit to your needs, and to your scheme.

So i once again state that Herring's, Rocker's, Hell even HDN himself's take on a recruit I trust more than Silvertip.

We all know his view on anything on the Hill is jaded, and NO i am not a Hugger.

I personally can't stand HDN. But at the same time I can be objective and give praise where it is well deserved. This coaching staff has done an excellent job so far this recruiting season, and I don't feel like Silvertip has any reason to criticize these recruits.
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

club monaco

Otis and T Biddy do have a hand in evaluating and ranking the AR players for Rivals.  Melhog is correct in that statement.   

Method Ham

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 31, 2007, 03:31:13 pm

I think the recruiting services have done a pretty good job evaluating Arkansas' classes under Nutt.  After all, HDN's classes have usually been rated around 7th or 8th in the SEC...

And if you added together wins and losses for the last seven or eight years (when Nutt's classes would have had a chance to work their way into the system), I bet that is about where we would rank in the SEC over that period.

The whole "recruiting is at an all-time record pace" spiel is exactly the same as the "ticket sales are at an all-time high for so early in the year" argument.

As I said before, if you deposit $100, $100, $100, $100, and $100 in a bank account, you are going to have exactly $500 when you are finished...whether you make the deposits in July, November, January, or February.

Actually, for the sake of argument, you'll have more than $500 because you've earned interest.  It's actually better, based on your analogy, to deposit sooner rather than later so your money has more time to grow.

OUR PRIORITIES ARE ALL MIXED UP IN THIS STATE.  WE HOLD OUR ATHLETIC COACHES MORE ACCOUNTABLE THAN OUR ELECTED OFFICIALS.

Realist

QuoteWell I don't know Batman. Why don't you reveal your true identity if you're so close to Rivals. I know you're not Otis because you can form a complete sentence.  
I have said plenty as to who I am.  I live two miles from the Rivals Brentwood, TN HQ.  I have a lifetime free membership to rivals (Consider who I was able to obtain that) and I think Crabtree, Shurburtt's, and Farrell have alot better clue of talent than you and silvertip do.  

HOG RED UMP

Quote from: UrAzoRbacKs on July 31, 2007, 03:16:53 pm
Quote from: GaRZRBCK on July 31, 2007, 02:59:37 pm

Who?

I don't know about "woofing", but Richard Davenport, Tomcat, Woo_Pig_Stewie, and jbhicks (who are covering recruiting for HOGVILLE) seem to be excited about the class.  Perhaps I am wrong, but their posts about the recruits seem to be pretty positive to me.

Link:  http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?board=3.0

So I guess these guys are "mouthpieces" too??
There ya go.........using logic and rational reasoning....is there no end to it.........
"The best thing about umpiring is seeing the best in baseball every day. The cardinal rule of umpiring is to follow the ball wherever it goes. Well, if you watch the ball, you can't help seeing somebody make a great catch... That's what makes umpiring so much fun." - National League Umpire Shag Crawford

cbjagman

EastexHawg, have a small correction to make concerning your comment covering the five $100 deposits. True, you will have the same $500; however, it appears that you're not assuming any interest being paid on the funds. If indeed there is interest being credited, then the earlier you deposit the funds the greater the compounded interest on your various contributions. LOL

philobeddoe

Quote from: J.A.Y. on July 31, 2007, 03:36:05 pm
I still want to know what Silvertip knows about football?

Has he ever played?

He still has not answered the question. If he has played he would know how a TEAM works. You recruit to your needs, and to your scheme.

So i once again state that Herring's, Rocker's, Hell even HDN himself's take on a recruit I trust more than Silvertip.

We all know his view on anything on the Hill is jaded, and NO i am not a Hugger.

I personally can't stand HDN. But at the same time I can be objective and give praise where it is well deserved. This coaching staff has done an excellent job so far this recruiting season, and I don't feel like Silvertip has any reason to criticize these recruits.

Look out J.A.Y.  Ol Tip might just challenge you to a fantasy football game.  He once got pissed at me and told me that he would be a great college football coach because he won his local fantasy football championchip.  I still laugh about that. 
The plain and simple fact is that limbertip is pissed at everyone involved with the U of A. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: Method Ham on July 31, 2007, 03:38:34 pm
Quote from: EastexHawg on July 31, 2007, 03:31:13 pm

Actually, for the sake of argument, you'll have more than $500 because you've earned interest.  It's actually better, based on your analogy, to deposit sooner rather than later so your money has more time to grow.

So I guess you are assuming the deposits are into a savings account, or a checking account that pays interest...as opposed to a checking account that doesn't pay interest, but also doesn't deduct a monthly service charge...

Didn't you ever hear what happens when you ASS-U-ME?

LOL.