Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This recruiting class is no better than Nutt's last 6--and no Texas recruits

Started by silvertip, July 31, 2007, 09:54:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

silvertip

With 18 signees already, this recruiting class is about 2/3 full and looks no better that your average Nutt class since '02. In fact, with an average Rivals star rating of 2.89, this class is right at Nutt's 6-year average of 2.90.

What I find alarming is the lack of Texas high school recruits. This class SO FAR has ONE recruit from Texas, a 3-star LB. Over the last 6 seasons, the Hogs average 7.3 recruits from Texas, with the usual # being 8. On average, the Hog's sign 26 players/year, so in order to reach our typical 8 Texas recruits, 7 of our final 8 signees would have to be Texans.

Where is the great recruiting "advantage" in Texas that some people claimed Coach Lee would bring? At this rate, this will be the Hog's weakest haul from Texas in decades. In '02, we got only 5 from Texas, but 3 of those were 4-stars.

Here is your average "star-rating" for the typical 26 signees in the Hog's last 6 classes, compared to the projected average this year, if the rest of this class is like the first 18 signees:

............6-yr avg....this year
4-stars........4............4
3-stars.......15...........15
2-stars........7............7

Big "improvement," huh? Where does the mantra come from that this class is such an upgrade over past classes? The only "improvement" is that these guys have "committed" earlier. So what? I think a lot of the "buzz" about this class is originating with the usual BAC spin-machine, and you see a lot of huggers pushing that spin on the message boards.

There is a danger in signing this many 2 & 3-star recruits so quickly. It might cause a 4-star to turn away if his position is getting crowded. EXAMPLE: The one remaining 4-star Arkie kid, WR Joe Adams, can look at this Hogs class and see that we've already signed 4 WRs, including one 4-star & two 3-stars. He might decide to go somewhere that will actually USE that many WRs.

What is the hurry to sign so many mid-level recruits, except perhaps for PR spin?   

hogtheznutts

And this post is no better than that stupid poll I heard about!  Geez get a grip silver, they haven't even evaluated some these guys and your already summing it up to be another avg. class!

umpbackwail

Quote from: silvertip on July 31, 2007, 09:54:03 am
With 18 signees already, this recruiting class is about 2/3 full and looks no better that your average Nutt class since '02. In fact, with an average Rivals star rating of 2.89, this class is right at Nutt's 6-year average of 2.90.

What I find alarming is the lack of Texas high school recruits. This class SO FAR has ONE recruit from Texas, a 3-star LB. Over the last 6 seasons, the Hogs average 7.3 recruits from Texas, with the usual # being 8. On average, the Hog's sign 26 players/year, so in order to reach our typical 8 Texas recruits, 7 of our final 8 signees would have to be Texans.

Where is the great recruiting "advantage" in Texas that some people claimed Coach Lee would bring? At this rate, this will be the Hog's weakest haul from Texas in decades. In '02, we got only 5 from Texas, but 3 of those were 4-stars.

Here is your average "star-rating" for the typical 26 signees in the Hog's last 6 classes, compared to the projected average this year, if the rest of this class is like the first 18 signees:

Big "improvement," huh? Where does the mantra come from that this class is such an upgrade over past classes? The only "improvement" is that these guys have "committed" earlier. So what? I think a lot of the "buzz" about this class is originating with the usual BAC spin-machine, and you see a lot of huggers pushing that spin on the message boards.

There is a danger in signing this many 2 & 3-star recruits so quickly. It might cause a 4-star to turn away if his position is getting crowded. EXAMPLE: The one remaining 4-star Arkie kid, WR Joe Adams, can look at this Hogs class and see that we've already signed 4 WRs, including one 4-star & two 3-stars. He might decide to go somewhere that will actually USE that many WRs.

What is the hurry to sign so many mid-level recruits, except perhaps for PR spin?   

No seriously tip - do you really have a life in Alabama?

obsession
ob·ses·sion
(b-sshn, b-)
obsession definition
n.
1. Compulsive preoccupation with a fixed idea or an unwanted feeling or emotion, often accompanied by symptoms of anxiety.
2. A compulsive, often unreasonable idea or emotion.
obsession synonyms
noun
An irrational preoccupation: fetish, fixation, mania. Informal: thing. See concern

If the shoe fits.......................................

catfish07

Your information is valid but this is class is far from being finally evaluated. I sincereley hope we do not use the remaining schollies for 2 star reaches. The key to the excitement of this class is the good job of signing the in state talent (I know they have not signed) and having a good number of commits this early. Typicaly we rush to fill the class with low end guys and this year it does not appear to be happening.

Is this class the best in Hog history? No, and it does not have to be either. The class needs to address the needs of the team and do so without reaching. So far we have not reached on a high number of guys and this is a good thing and different than the past.

I am excited about the current list of players and will continue to be so as they progress through their senior years.

Go Hogs! :razorback:
"If I owned both Texas and Hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in Hell."

-General Philip Sheridan

Melhog

Quote from: hogtheznutts on July 31, 2007, 09:55:52 am
And this post is no better than that stupid poll I heard about!  Geez get a grip silver, they haven't even evaluated some these guys and your already summing it up to be another avg. class!

Well, I for one want to wait and see how this class turns out before I get too excited. I think part of the what Silver is expressing is this "wow, this could be the best ever class" mantra we keep hearing over and over when a kid commits.  I also don't understand the David Lee is a great recruiter talk we keep hearing over and over. Maybe he is a good recruiter now, I don't know. But, my question is if he is such a great recruiter, then why didn't he make an impact on the recruiting classes during his last stint at Arkansas?  The rankings have been virtually the same over Dale's entire career here. Or was it that he did a great job and the rest of the staff didn't??

J.A.Y.

Ok...time to step away from grandpa's cough syrup!

This class is awesome, we are addressing needs and we are getting our #1 or Plan A targets.

I think Professional College Coaches and Recruiters know a little bit more than you about a players and their ability to perform in the SEC.

These guys make a living coaching and evaluating football players, give it up your argument is unwarranted and unwanted.
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

BartIV

Is it normal to have this many oral committments? and how often do kids change their minds after their senior season?

Melhog

Quote from: J.A.Y. on July 31, 2007, 10:05:37 am

This class is awesome, we are addressing needs and we are getting our #1 or Plan A targets.

Posts like this are the reason Silvertip put this thread up. How do you know we got our #1 target?  Have you been in on recruting discussions with the staff??  We won't know if this class is awesome or not until signing day in Feb.

rzrbcks2120

This class SO FAR has ONE recruit from Texas, a 3-star LB.

If by 3-star LB you mean 3-star DB Ugo Ukpara then you would be correct.

GBPackerFan

Some of you people need to just stop and smile every once in a while.  Not everything is bad.  Not everything is a conspiracy theory revolving around Nutt.  There are actually some good things out there, ya know?  Plus, I would have to say that right now, assuming that we do sign everyone of the verbal commits we have right now, that this is a pretty damn good class coming in.  But that is just my opinion.

hawgdog2005

silvertip

Quote from: hogtheznutts on July 31, 2007, 09:55:52 am

Who told you "they haven't even evaluated some of these guys?" Here's your Rivals ratings on the Hogs commits so far:

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/commitlist.asp?SID=880&Year=2008&School=6

I guess next you'll tell us "they" don't even know what state these kids are from either, huh?

hogsman

David Lee = Warren.  That proved his merit to me.  I don't see what's so hard to understand.

abraHAM_lincoln

One glaring difference in this class from ALL of his last ones...

Every one so far are players who are currently playing and not the usual Coming off Double Knee operations, haven't played in 2 years, or ones who came in from out of state where they are not qualified becasue they have too many semesters of playing.   All those "Project players" "so called Hidden Jewels" are not in this class, and all appear to be able at some point to be on the field actually playing in their 4 to 5 years at the U of A.  Unlike about 1/3rd to Half never playing a single down in their time wasting space on the hill, like all his other classes.

Choctaw Hog

Silvertip, good points but I'm not going to judge this group yet until it is signed, sealed, delivered and compared to our SEC brethren.  However, recruiting is not as good as some perceive and I do believe that many of these recruits committing early are "contingency" recruits (recruits the we would offer only if we couldn't get others we were recruiting) that we use to offer late. 

The only difference now is that we are offering them early to make things appear better than they really are (remember how Nutt touted the great success HE is having in recruiting this year at the SEC meeting) so Nutt can claim that the program has never been in better shape.  I've been a fan for over 40 years and I know better.   

J.A.Y.

Quote from: Melhog on July 31, 2007, 10:10:00 am

Posts like this are the reason Silvertip put this thread up. How do you know we got our #1 target?  Have you been in on recruting discussions with the staff??  We won't know if this class is awesome or not until signing day in Feb.

Well no SA I have not been in discussions with the staff, but anyone can tell that with a BCS college program if they are getting committments this early from kids that more than one person has said were A level recruits then they are their 1st choice.

If they weren't their first choice they would have told them to hold off until they visited or wait b/c your offer is conditional on whether we land Player ABC, just ask Tyler Wilson about that.

But yes this class is awesome, we are getting GREAT players and the majority are from AR much less Warren(former TN pipeline) so excuse me for claiming class AWESOME.
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

BartIV

I think it is good that Houston is repairing that fense to keep kids here in Arkansas. We have been asking for that for a while now.  I want to keep the best Arkansas has to offer in recruits, but don't forget surrounding states as well.

silvertip

Ok...time to step away from grandpa's cough syrup!

I think Professional College Coaches and Recruiters know a little bit more than you about a players and their ability to perform in the SEC.

These guys make a living coaching and evaluating football players, give it up your argument is unwarranted and unwanted.

Tell us these "Professional College Coaches and Recruiters" are that are so excited about this "awesome" recruiting classes. There are six or seven SEC staffs full of "Professional College Coaches and Recruiters" that out-recruit Nutt's crew every year, and they'll do it again this year if this keeps up. Rivals' staff is widely recognized as the most accurate of these recruiting boards.

But I should accept YOUR evaluation of this "awesome" class, eh dood?

budcampbellfan

I think Silvertip reflects most of us in the skepticism of whatever the evil Broyles Machine and Nutt crew are putting out.  We just take everything they say with a big salt shaker.  Thanks for the analysis Silver. 
"THE 'ARKANSAW RAZA'BACKS' ARE ON THE AIR!" - The late Bud Campbell at the beginning of each radio broadcast game.

silvertip

Quote from: mrcrowley on July 31, 2007, 10:13:03 am
some of these kids are going to move up in the rankings before this season is over.

Who told you that? Some of them might move down as well. And some of all those hundreds of other 3-star recruits commited to other schools
will move up or down as well.

Right now, Rivals has this class ranked around 14th---but that is based on quantity, not quality. If this class winds up with around 2.90 average star rating, it will be just another of Hooten's 7th-8th best in the SEC.

Melhog

Quote from: J.A.Y. on July 31, 2007, 10:20:38 am
Quote from: Melhog on July 31, 2007, 10:10:00 am

Well no SA I have not been in discussions with the staff, but anyone can tell that with a BCS college program if they are getting committments this early from kids that more than one person has said were A level recruits then they are their 1st choice.

If they weren't their first choice they would have told them to hold off until they visited or wait b/c your offer is conditional on whether we land Player ABC, just ask Tyler Wilson about that.

But yes this class is awesome, we are getting GREAT players and the majority are from AR much less Warren(former TN pipeline) so excuse me for claiming class AWESOME.

Well, again I will reserve judgment on this class til signing day in Feb.  If we actually break into the Top 5 in recruiting in the SEC, and Top 20 nationally then maybe we can proclaim it "awesome".  Nutt hasn't done it yet and I don't expect him to do it this year either. That's just the facts.  Oh and thanks for the SA tag. I'll wear it as a badge of honor.

J.A.Y.

Not my evaluation DOOD, Herring's, Rocker's, D. Nutt's, etc. 

Have your ever even played football?

You build a team around your scheme, Herring has built a Tremendous Defense based on Speed and Agility. I think his assessment on Justin Smith, Askew, Jones, ETC is WAYYYY better than your couch potato assessment.

As you and everyone else knows rivals or scout is never, repeat NEVER always right. Yep, LSU might out "RECRUIT" us or Alabama but I am not worried about them.

I want to know are AR guys staying home? Yes

Are we addressing Needs? Yes

Do our coaches think these guys can play in our system? YES

So yes I am excited about this class, DOOD!

rzrbcks2120

Overall I am very satisfied with this class. Of the 18 commits there are 8 out-of-state commits from 7 different states. I'd say that's pretty sweet because that means we are getting most of the in-state talent to stay in Arkansas (should be priority #1-- especially after last year) and it means that we can recruit in a bunch of states outside of Arkansas.

hogsanity

Well, 4 of these commits come from Warren.  IF they had committed else where you would fry HDN for that.  You cant sign 10 Texas kids, and all of the other kids that everyone thinks they should get. 

Maybe we should have someone pay for a poll to evaluate how the recruits are evaluated. 

As for the players, I will reserve judgement until 2010, when some of them are actually contributing to the team ON THE FIELD.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hawgtime

I want to see some 5 Star recruits finish up this years haul.

We need some studs to make this class great.

go hogs go.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: donewithdale on July 31, 2007, 10:14:38 am

Finally, another poster who can put things in perspective.

0 Texas Top 100 

Improvement is getting the class together earlier instead of chasing in December and January.

And as I said last week, the effort has so much momentum to sell us on how great everything is going that any recruit that commits will be hyped as much as possible.  Vaughn will be praised, as Otis has done in the last few days, to justify his value.  Lee(who has done a good job and has been known as a good recruiter) will be treated as a hero to make that move look as good as possible. 

Absolutely agree with both you Razorback fans. 

First, this class is the same ole, same ole.    It is average at best, talent wise, and at best will head up the perennial second tier of SEC schools in the ratings come Feb 08, as always.  That is if it continues at the current pace.

Second, the spin from BAC, the likes of Odus, and the hugger boards is almost without match in my years of watching Razorback recruiting.

My question is why?

hawgtime

Quote from: silvertip on July 31, 2007, 10:30:35 am
some of these kids are going to move up in the rankings before this season is over.

Who told you that? Some of them might move down as well. And some of all those hundreds of other 3-star recruits commited to other schools

Right now, Rivals has this class ranked around 14th---but that is based on quantity, not quality. If this class winds up with around 2.90 average star rating, it will be just another of Hooten's 7th-8th best in the SEC.

AMEN brotho!!!!

Topcat

If the star system is so great why would coaches continue to evaluate players? They could just subscribe to Rivals and save alot of work. The truth is the star system is full of holes. Some of the 2 star players wind up in the NFL and some of the 5 star players wind up at the car wash. Do you think a running back in Altheimer gets the same attention as a back in Atlanta even if they have equal ability? Of course not. These type of services are designed for one purpose, to make money.     

Cresthog

Lots of our recruits have not been evaluated by the recruiting services and there are two or three who have and will be ranked higher in the end. What you fail to mention is the fact that we are following in the footsteps this season as USC and Texas. They fill their current class up quick in order to get a head start in next years recruiting class. This is a good thing. Right now only us Bama and Georgia are the teams doing it in the SEC and we will benefit. I promise.

Our class is almost 2/3 full and has one Texas player. So , but guess what...we have just about every single top D1 prospect in the state wrapped up and committed. Isn't that what everyone was pissing and moaning about last season? How Nutt couldn't keep that fence up? Well, this year its up and I have seen even more complaining.

As for star rating...I thought stars didn't matter?

Joes Adams...won't run from competition, trust me on this one. He can either go to USC as a DB. Georgia as a WR or Arkansas and play whatever he wants. Just because we have other WRs signed doesn't mean he won't come play for us.

I understand this class is ranked high for now and will drop. But I'm extremely happy that we have so many committed right now. I am going to wait and see who else jumps on ship as the season progresses. If we have another big season we will start to see lots of big name guys all of a sudden show interest in us. Maybe we can win some big games and close this class with a few big names.

hogfan064

The fact that you rely on Rivals to do your homework for you is funny. 

Fact is that many of Nutt's past 3 stars have been guys offered by no other SEC schools.  Nearly everyone that has committed has an offer from an upper level SEC program.  We're beating other SEC schools for talent and teams like Nebraska.

The FB that is committed is only a 2 star, but has offers from many big name schools.  This kid isn't a 2 star if he's getting those kind of offers. 

Forget about stars and look at what schools are offering these kids.

HogJP34

WOW...............some hog fans out to crucify Nutt and Broyles can't even recognize when good things happen to the program.  What a sad and pathetic group.

silvertip

Quote from: rzrbcks2120 on July 31, 2007, 10:11:18 am
This class SO FAR has ONE recruit from Texas, a 3-star LB.

If by 3-star LB you mean 3-star DB Ugo Ukpara then you would be correct.

Yep, darnit, I meant to go back & look again to check if he's a DB or LB.
(Actually, I just put that one little boo-boo in there to see if anyone was on the ball. Good catch.)

HogJP34

You can look at the Rivals site and see the schools that have also offered our committments.  They're not no-names like Tulsa; they're big time like Florida State, Auburn, Oklahoma, Georgia, Florida...........Why is a 3 or 4 star that commits to Arkansas less of a gem than one that signs with those guys??

HogFanLR

Quote from: hawgtime on July 31, 2007, 10:45:02 am

AMEN brotho!!!!

Really,  Wonder how in the world we got 12 players as all SEC.  And just for kicks...what was their rivals rating.  I leave you to ponder that.

Adam Stokes

Some of the two-star players are certainly going to move up. 

Today in a "deep sleeper emerge in the southeast" Austin Eoff was mentioned saying that "This 6-foot-5, 308-pounder has impressed at multiple summer camps and should see his ranking rise during the next update".  If his ranking rises 0.1 he will move up to a three star.  So if he moves up any, he will be a 3-star, and rivals practically promised us that.

Thomas Shuler has also had offers from major programs, such as Ohio State, Forida, Alabama, and other programs.  He should ceratinly move up to a three star at least.  The only reason he won't move up is if his position is changed from RB to FB, in which he could very possibly stay at a two star when he could be a four star, since FB's are like kickers, there may only be one 3-star in all the country at the position.

Justin Smith and Basmine Jones have a good chance to move up also, leaving possibly only Chris Gragg right now as the remaining two-star, and that is because we don't know exactly what the coaches want to do with him.  They may move him to defense because he has a good frame like a certain other 2-star WR we got a few years back named Jamaal Anderson.  Am I saying that Gragg might become a Top 10 NFL pick?  No, but I'll let the coaches play with him.

So let's just say that three of the five two-stars that we currently have on our roster move up to 3-star, which is certainly not out of the question because it may happen to four, our average star rating would improve to a 3.06, and I'm not mentioning the Youngblood's and the Cruz's who have great chances at moving up to four-stars.  Could some players move down in ranking?  Yes, but we have three times as many guys move up as we will down in the least.  I think we should all just hold out until the end of the summer when Rivals readjusts its rankings and then there will not be near as much griping on the class.

jpenrod1

for one this class by the end of the year will be rated much better, because of the fact that we have a lot of players that could move up.

2. it doesnt matter what rivals says look at some of these kids offers, watch there tape, and look at there size and speed.

3. Even if we are not recruiting better players you should be excited about the positions. this year our best players are at skill positions, not OL and TE. Most years our numbers look better than they are because we have 4 4* but there at TE and OL. this year they are at WR, and RB. with one OL. we also have recruited lots of WRs and QBs. that is something different.

4. we are ranked 14th in the country so far.

5. D Lee recruited all of our instate players so how can you expect him to recruit Texas. Im sure you will see Them pick it up in Texas now that he has all but one of the instate players we wanted.

I think these are some pretty good reasons for being excited about this class.

If you want to argue this class, do whatever one else who wants bad thing to happen does, say they wont sign, but dont try to say this class is not better than usual.

rzrbcks2120

Quote from: Cresthog on July 31, 2007, 10:47:36 am
Our class is almost 2/3 full and has one Texas player. So , but guess what...we have just about every single top D1 prospect in the state wrapped up and committed. Isn't that what everyone was pissing and moaning about last season? How Nutt couldn't keep that fence up? Well, this year its up and I have seen even more complaining.

Some people will always find something to complain about.

silvertip

Quote from: hogfan064 on July 31, 2007, 10:50:48 am

Fact is that many of Nutt's past 3 stars have been guys offered by no other SEC schools.  Nearly everyone that has committed has an offer from an upper level SEC program.  We're beating other SEC schools for talent and teams like Nebraska.

The FB that is committed is only a 2 star, but has offers from many big name schools.  This kid isn't a 2 star if he's getting those kind of offers. 

Oh please tell me a better source than Rivals---which you proceed to quote for the rest of your post. Either them or Scout---doesn't matter, although Rivals is the best.

And just WHERE do you get YOUR info that Shuler is just a 2-star and has all those offers? Before you start quoting Otis or Trey---those guys get their info from those sites and/or provide the input to those sites.

HogJP34

Oh and yes, by all means, let's complain about Nutt's last 3-4 recruiting classes, they only produced 12 All-SEC candidates.  

Dang, if only they had more stars when we recruited them or if only they were from Texas.............

jpenrod1

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on July 31, 2007, 11:01:01 am

No offense and not trying to be smart, but do you run a recruiting service?  What do you expect him to rely on?

I agree with your last point somewhat but good grief what objective source are we supposed to be using if not Rivals?

I think he meant on the fact that a 2* rated player is a 2* player. i think he was saying you cant trust rivals judge of talent. as far as there offers and things like that rivals is great but the rankings are not very accurate. you have to look at offers and videos because the coaches are the real judges of talent.

JaxnHog

Quote from: Cresthog on July 31, 2007, 10:47:36 am

Lots of our recruits have not been evaluated by the recruiting services and there are two or three who have and will be ranked higher in the end. What you fail to mention is the fact that we are following in the footsteps this season as USC and Texas. They fill their current class up quick in order to get a head start in next years recruiting class. This is a good thing. Right now only us Bama and Georgia are the teams doing it in the SEC and we will benefit. I promise.

As for star rating...I thought stars didn't matter?

Joes Adams...won't run from competition, trust me on this one. He can either go to USC as a DB. Georgia as a WR or Arkansas and play whatever he wants. Just because we have other WRs signed doesn't mean he won't come play for us.

I understand this class is ranked high for now and will drop. But I'm extremely happy that we have so many committed right now. I am going to wait and see who else jumps on ship as the season progresses. If we have another big season we will start to see lots of big name guys all of a sudden show interest in us. Maybe we can win some big games and close this class with a few big names.

Thank you! the cup is not always half empty like several of you think each and every day

hogfan064

Quote from: silvertip on July 31, 2007, 10:59:15 am

Oh please tell me a better source than Rivals---which you proceed to quote for the rest of your post. Either them or Scout---doesn't matter, although Rivals is the best.

And just WHERE do you get YOUR info that Shuler is just a 2-star and has all those offers? Before you start quoting Otis or Trey---those guys get their info from those sites and/or provide the input to those sites.

My info comes from those who have offered these kids.  If Ohio State is offering a kid a scholarship and so is many other big name schools, then I'm sorry that kid isn't a 2 star athlete.   

The point is to look at who's offering the scholarships and not the star ratings.  Do you honestly think a kid like Shuler who has offers from many big names is equal to a 2 star that has offers from ULM, Arkansas State, and Rice?   Since rivals doesn't have a 1 star ranking then that's basically what they are telling us.

hogfan064

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on July 31, 2007, 11:01:01 am

No offense and not trying to be smart, but do you run a recruiting service?  What do you expect him to rely on?

I agree with your last point somewhat but good grief what objective source are we supposed to be using if not Rivals?

Again, look at scholarship offers, not star ratings.   If Jim Tressel offers someone a scholarship they are a good pickup for us.

hogfan064

Quote from: donewithdale on July 31, 2007, 11:16:59 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on July 31, 2007, 11:14:31 am

My info comes from those who have offered these kids.  If Ohio State is offering a kid a scholarship and so is many other big name schools, then I'm sorry that kid isn't a 2 star athlete.  

The point is to look at who's offering the scholarships and not the star ratings.  Do you honestly think a kid like Shuler who has offers from many big names is equal to a 2 star that has offers from ULM, Arkansas State, and Rice?   Since rivals doesn't have a 1 star ranking then that's basically what they are telling us.

You are trusting that Rivals offer lists are correct.  Again, we will see how highly recruited some of these players are between now and signing day.  Will Ohio St, Florida St etc give up on a recruit they really want to Arkansas?

I'm not trusting rivals offer list at all.  I haven't even looked at Rivals offer list.  I'm going by what the kid has said and what has been reported by numerous media member in the South.   I might be mistaken, but don't you have to subscribe to Rivals to see the offer list?   Since I don't subscribe I have no way of seeing that list.

EastexHawg

Is a two or three star who commits in July somehow better than a two or three star who commits three weeks before signing day?

I'm just wondering...

If Rivals is running a "bank balance" ranking service and I open and deposit $500 in a bank account in July, I might be "ranked" near the top of the class early in the process.  However, I have wonder what the odds are that I will maintain my ranking once Bill Gates, Ross Perot, and the Waltons open their accounts and make their deposits.

kmoore

I am sure this idiot has put in as much time as our coaches have in evaluating these kids. What does this guy know?? Oh yea, 1 star from a 5 star. Who needs to look at game tape??
GO HOGS!!!!!

hogfan064

Quote from: EastexHawg on July 31, 2007, 11:18:55 am
Is a two or three star who commits in July somehow better than a two or three star who commits three weeks before signing day?

I'm just wondering...

If Rivals is running a "bank balance" ranking service and I open and deposit $500 in a bank account in July, I might be "ranked" near the top of the class early in the process.  However, I have wonder what the odds are that I will maintain my ranking once Bill Gates, Ross Perot, and the Waltons open their accounts and make their deposits.

It's very possible.  Recruits have stated that Rivals has threatened to lower their star rating if they decide to commit early to a school.   2 examples

Willie Korn out of Clemson last year started off as a top 10 player in the country and a 5 star recruit.  He committed to Clemson early and when Rivals final recruiting rankings came out Korn was barely in the top 100 and a 4 star recruit.   Korn was actually attending classes at Clemson when Rivals released its final rankings. 

Carlos Dunlap who signed with Florida was an unknown going into the season last year.  In Rivals first few rankings he was nowhere near a 5 star recruit and wasn't a Rivals top 100 player.  But when Rivals made out its final rankings, Dunlap was top 5 and a 5 star recruit.   Dunlap didn't commit until late Jan.   

If all of Rivals top 15 guys commit prior to December then what do they have to sale to people leading up the weeks of signing day.  Threatened by this they will drop guys and make 3 stars out to be studs just to sale memberships.   

Here's my problem with the Rivals system. 

Magister

Quote from: donewithdale on July 31, 2007, 11:16:59 am
Quote from: hogfan064 on July 31, 2007, 11:14:31 am

The point is to look at who's offering the scholarships and not the star ratings.  Do you honestly think a kid like Shuler who has offers from many big names is equal to a 2 star that has offers from ULM, Arkansas State, and Rice?   Since rivals doesn't have a 1 star ranking then that's basically what they are telling us.

You are trusting that Rivals offer lists are correct.  Again, we will see how highly recruited some of these players are between now and signing day.  Will Ohio St, Florida St etc give up on a recruit they really want to Arkansas?

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=52348&sport=1

Here is that Shuler kid.  The offer list is pretty impressive, even though I don't see Ohio State on there.
Pay no attention to what the critics say; A statue has never been set up in honor of a critic.

--Jean Sibelius

PigPusher

In terms of recruiting just be glad we are not Florida this year setting at 35. That is usually our spot. Well, don't mind trading.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.