Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

11 All-SEC players vs. Low recruiting rankings

Started by ShellHog, July 20, 2007, 08:29:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Perfect

I think Houston Nutt is underated in his ability to assess, evaluate, and develop talent. 

DezNuttstehsuq

Quote from: jabohog on July 20, 2007, 08:36:25 am
Quote from: ShellHog on July 20, 2007, 08:29:11 am
Something is not adding up? 
Either the Hogs coaching staff can recruit/evaluate/coach players up?

IMO, two of the better players (blue chips) on 07' Hog team did not even make all-SEC (pre-season)....Hillis & Grant.

If low recruiting rankings are b/c Arkansas High School athletes are underrated, then should we quit bitching about the Razorbacks Recruiting Ranking every year?  B/c obviously Hogs coaching staff knows more than Scout/Rivals. 

Once again you want to take one year out of 9 to prove a point. Let's take this up in 3 more years. If we have good seasons and put a lot of players in the pros and on the All-SEC list then I will agree with you. As Nutt said, let's hope they make this ASEC team at the end of the season.

Or better yet wait till this coaching staff loses 4 or more games with arguably one of the most talented teams in years.  That will really tell the tale. 

Mr. Perfect

Albert Swinestein

Biggus...this is a weak analysis and inaccurate.  Quite frankly, I am thrilled at how several of these guys proved they were underrated coming out of high school.  Although I think Houston is a poor recruiter, his staff does seem to have an eye for FB talent.
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 20, 2007, 08:50:21 am
McFadden--was a blue chip high school recruit
Luigs--vastly underrated
Felton--rated about right
Monk--was a blue chip high school recruit
Jones--was a blue chip high school recruit
Robinson--underrated because he was hurt his senior season
Cleveland--was a blue chip high school recruit
Harrison--rated about right
Dacus--rated about right
Fairchild--rated about right
Hewitt--was a juco

The main problems with past Arkansas recruiting were disorganization, hit/miss rate and filling positional needs.  Every year the staff was scrambling to refill their recruiting list in November because their early efforts did not pan out.

DezNuttstehsuq

Quote from: Mr. Perfect on July 20, 2007, 05:46:08 pm
Way to be optimistic!!!!

Oh IM optimistic about this season but Im also a realist.  Nutt plans scared and it always comes back to bite his ass in several games and usually ends up in a minimum of 2 losses where we should have been victorious.  He is also the worst time manager in the history of college football another contributor to losses.  So Im thinking 2 Nutt Factor losses, probably 2 possibly 3 to the better SEC teams we play this year on the road and this is when we have 12 All SEC preseason selections and the talent, not the coaching, to go far this year. 

Sorry if that doesnt fit it to the rah rah rah of "You are not a true fan if yoyu dont believe we can win every game" sentiment.     

Nashville Fan

Want proof of HDN's ability to recruit?

How many SECCGs have HDN's recruits won? That is my measuring stick for recruiting and coaching ability.

HDN is the only SEC coach to not win a SECCG by his second try. AR is the only SEC school to to go to 3 SECCGs and not have a championship. I hope AR wins the SECCG this year; but, I am not holding my breath with HDN as the coach.
Pittman or Bust!

Mr. Perfect

How many teams have  been to three championship games? I complained about a bruised toe before i saw a man with no foot. Arkansas will be better than last year the only quesion is the defensive backfield.

beansandtaters

Anyone else care about pre-season SEC Rankings? Who cares? Let's talk at the end of the year. Tell me how great it is when Nutt takes the team to an 8-4 finish with more pre-season all sec players than any other school. Ronnie Brewer was preseason SEC player of the year 2 years ago. Did he win it? No. Did you brag about having the preseason SEC player of the year after we lost to Bucknell?

beansandtaters

Quote from: Mr. Perfect on July 20, 2007, 07:33:30 pm
How many teams have  been to three championship games? I complained about a bruised toe before i saw a man with no foot. Arkansas will be better than last year the only quesion is the defensive backfield.

No question at QB? You must be smarter than all the national football writers...

Mr. Perfect

We only need a serviceable quarterback. Apparently you have paid quite abit of attention to what they've said.

HatfieldHog

Quote from: ShellHog on July 20, 2007, 08:29:11 am
Something is not adding up? 
Either the Hogs coaching staff can recruit/evaluate/coach players up?

IMO, two of the better players (blue chips) on 07' Hog team did not even make all-SEC (pre-season)....Hillis & Grant.

If low recruiting rankings are b/c Arkansas High School athletes are underrated, then should we quit bitching about the Razorbacks Recruiting Ranking every year?  B/c obviously Hogs coaching staff knows more than Scout/Rivals. 

You are absolutely correct about "coaching" players up.  Nutt does this very well.  Which is what you want a Mid-Major guy to do, because 2 and 3 star guys is what they have to work with.  Problem is, we are in a league of 4 and 5 star guys.  Sad enough to say, you will coach up the lower guys to win every 4 or 5 years, then, you hit the sellars again, because you have to get your share of 4 and 5 star guys to compete consistently in the SEC.

This is where Nutt fails the test.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

porkshoppe

Did anybody read the Democrat this morning? The article states,"Coaches honored the Razorbacks with 12 preseason picks for a second consecutive season." This isn't indicative of the razorbacks being loaded this year. It's more of a reflection on last seasons record.

Mr. Perfect

Florida won 13 games and the National Championship, but we have more ALL-SEC players than they do.

DezNuttstehsuq

Quote from: Mr. Perfect on July 21, 2007, 08:59:38 am
Florida won 13 games and the National Championship, but we have more ALL-SEC players than they do.

That stat speaks volumes about the coaching philosphies and implementation wouldn't you say.  Maybe the saying should be 'does less with more'

porkshoppe

Quote from: DezNuttstehsuq on July 21, 2007, 12:29:58 pm
Quote from: Mr. Perfect on July 21, 2007, 08:59:38 am

That stat speaks volumes about the coaching philosphies and implementation wouldn't you say.  Maybe the saying should be 'does less with more'
We had more All Sec picks than Florida last year!!