Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

11 All-SEC players vs. Low recruiting rankings

Started by ShellHog, July 20, 2007, 08:29:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ShellHog

Something is not adding up? 
Either the Hogs coaching staff can recruit/evaluate/coach players up?

IMO, two of the better players (blue chips) on 07' Hog team did not even make all-SEC (pre-season)....Hillis & Grant.

If low recruiting rankings are b/c Arkansas High School athletes are underrated, then should we quit bitching about the Razorbacks Recruiting Ranking every year?  B/c obviously Hogs coaching staff knows more than Scout/Rivals. 

dfresh

I know, crazy isn't it.  And just think, we had two Juniors leave for the NFL.

jabohog

Quote from: ShellHog on July 20, 2007, 08:29:11 am

IMO, two of the better players (blue chips) on 07' Hog team did not even make all-SEC (pre-season)....Hillis & Grant.

If low recruiting rankings are b/c Arkansas High School athletes are underrated, then should we quit bitching about the Razorbacks Recruiting Ranking every year?  B/c obviously Hogs coaching staff knows more than Scout/Rivals. 

Once again you want to take one year out of 9 to prove a point. Let's take this up in 3 more years. If we have good seasons and put a lot of players in the pros and on the All-SEC list then I will agree with you. As Nutt said, let's hope they make this ASEC team at the end of the season.

HogNuttz

Ask yourself this: "How often are FB's on the all conference team?"
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

dfresh

Quote from: jabohog on July 20, 2007, 08:36:25 am

Once again you want to take one year out of 9 to prove a point. Let's take this up in 3 more years. If we have good seasons and put a lot of players in the pros and on the All-SEC list then I will agree with you. As Nutt said, let's hope they make this ASEC team at the end of the season.

You must be a "glass is half empty" kinda guy. Huh?

ShellHog

Quote from: HogNuttz on July 20, 2007, 08:40:02 am

Yea, I know....Hillis is just a stud & will be playing on Sunday's.  I would probably take him over half the RB's on the list (3 teams).

HogNuttz

Quote from: ShellHog on July 20, 2007, 08:45:54 am

Yea, I know....Hillis is just a stud & will be playing on Sunday's.  I would probably take him over half the RB's on the list (3 teams).

TB/HB's get the yardage, so they make the list.  Spots are designated for two RB's, not for a TB/HB and FB.  While this does make the list more impressive with stats, it does exclude some of the better talent, as is the case with Hillis being left off the list.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Biggus Piggus

McFadden--was a blue chip high school recruit
Luigs--vastly underrated
Felton--rated about right
Monk--was a blue chip high school recruit
Jones--was a blue chip high school recruit
Robinson--underrated because he was hurt his senior season
Cleveland--was a blue chip high school recruit
Harrison--rated about right
Dacus--rated about right
Fairchild--rated about right
Hewitt--was a juco

The main problems with past Arkansas recruiting were disorganization, hit/miss rate and filling positional needs.  Every year the staff was scrambling to refill their recruiting list in November because their early efforts did not pan out.
[CENSORED]!

silvertip

It seems to me that you're comparing the recruiting rankings to the All-SEC teams. In my always-humble opinion, the problem lies more with the All-SEC team selections than with the recruiting rankinks.

Another way to look at this, would be to take the All-SEC teams, and list their star-ranking from Rivals or Scout. I wish someone would do that, using Rivals which I'm familiar with. I might just do that myself if I can take time away from trying to educate hogsanity.

ShellHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 20, 2007, 08:50:21 am
Luigs--vastly underrated
Dacus--rated about right
Hewitt--was a juco

The main problems with past Arkansas recruiting were disorganization, hit/miss rate and filling positional needs.  Every year the staff was scrambling to refill their recruiting list in November because their early efforts did not pan out.

You saying you think 3*'s are Blue Chips......Monk, Cleveland, & Jones were 3*'s if memory serves.
Jones may have been rated 4* in one publication.  So thats two 4*'s out of 11.

"Disorganization" - "Scrambling" should not = 11 All SEC players...2nd most in SEC.   Thats what I mean, what you say does not add up. 

ShellHog

Quote from: silvertip on July 20, 2007, 08:53:36 am

It seems to me that you're comparing the recruiting rankings to the All-SEC teams. In my always-humble opinion, the problem lies more with the All-SEC team selections than with the recruiting rankinks.

Another way to look at this, would be to take the All-SEC teams, and list their star-ranking from Rivals or Scout. I wish someone would do that, using Rivals which I'm familiar with. I might just do that myself if I can take time away from trying to educate hogsanity.

Am I understanding you correctly.....you think the recruiting publications know more about the players abilities than the coaches in the SEC?   Just so we are clear.

hogfan064

Recruiting publications have lots of bias when it comes to rating players.  It is well known that many will actually threaten to give a recruit a lower star if he commits to soon.

Take Willie Korn for instance.  Korn in the preseason was ranked as a top 5 recruit by Rivals.  He committed to Clemson very early.  When the last rankings came out he was lowered to the low 90s and dropped to a 4 star. 

Also look at Florida commit Carlos Dunlap.  Early in the recruiting season he was an unknown, but since he stayed uncommitted he was raised to 5 star level and one of the top 10 players in the country. 

Rivals and Scout have to use tactics like this to sale memberships.   If all the 5 stars have committed then who's going to care when Feb roles around?   That's why they will create 5 stars in order to grab attention.

hogfan064

Quote from: ShellHog on July 20, 2007, 09:02:59 am
Quote from: silvertip on July 20, 2007, 08:53:36 am

Am I understanding you correctly.....you think the recruiting publications know more about the players abilities than the coaches in the SEC?   Just so we are clear.

If they did they would be coaching and making 6 figures instead of writing articles and making nothing. 

ShellHog

Quote from: hogfan064 on July 20, 2007, 09:19:13 am
Recruiting publications have lots of bias when it comes to rating players.  It is well known that many will actually threaten to give a recruit a lower star if he commits to soon.

Take Willie Korn for instance.  Korn in the preseason was ranked as a top 5 recruit by Rivals.  He committed to Clemson very early.  When the last rankings came out he was lowered to the low 90s and dropped to a 4 star. 

Also look at Florida commit Carlos Dunlap.  Early in the recruiting season he was an unknown, but since he stayed uncommitted he was raised to 5 star level and one of the top 10 players in the country. 

Rivals and Scout have to use tactics like this to sale memberships.   If all the 5 stars have committed then who's going to care when Feb roles around?   That's why they will create 5 stars in order to grab attention.

Makes perfectly good sense to me.  Creating a buzz (5*) seems to work for Rivals & Scout, which is too bad.  Many seem to take their rankings as the Gospel....I find myself getting a little more excited about commits from 4 & 5 *'s over 2 & 3*'s.  Was much more pumped when Fred Bledsoe committed than when J. Anderson/F. Fairchild.  My Bad.   

razorback93

I think the reason for so many is we had a good season last year.  That got our players noticed.  They also know that guys like Cleveland originally committed to UF, also he performed well in a limited role.  I am not a Nutt fan anymore, but with some people he can't win.   Every bad thing he does, recruits he misses on, will be amplified by those who have grown to despise him; and his successes will be dismissed or explained away in such a manner as to deny him credit.  Conversely, his legion of supporters will excuse any mistake and magnify all successes.  It's called human nature.  Personally, I don't think he is a terrible recruiter.  I think he has a good eye for talent.  Its just that sometimes it seems as if other factors take precedence other than is this guy the best.

ShellHog

Quote from: razorback93 on July 20, 2007, 09:32:51 am
I think the reason for so many is we had a good season last year.  That got our players noticed.  They also know that guys like Cleveland originally committed to UF, also he performed well in a limited role.  I am not a Nutt fan anymore, but with some people he can't win.   Every bad thing he does, recruits he misses on, will be amplified by those who have grown to despise him; and his successes will be dismissed or explained away in such a manner as to deny him credit.  Conversely, his legion of supporters will excuse any mistake and magnify all successes.  It's called human nature.  Personally, I don't think he is a terrible recruiter.  I think he has a good eye for talent.  Its just that sometimes it seems as if other factors take precedence other than is this guy the best.

I would agree for the most part....except the SEC coaches could care less that Cleveland committed to Florida before Arkansas.  Wouldn't that mean Florida has 20 All SEC pre-season players?

hogfan064

Quote from: razorback93 on July 20, 2007, 09:32:51 am
I think the reason for so many is we had a good season last year.  That got our players noticed.  They also know that guys like Cleveland originally committed to UF, also he performed well in a limited role.  I am not a Nutt fan anymore, but with some people he can't win.   Every bad thing he does, recruits he misses on, will be amplified by those who have grown to despise him; and his successes will be dismissed or explained away in such a manner as to deny him credit.  Conversely, his legion of supporters will excuse any mistake and magnify all successes.  It's called human nature.  Personally, I don't think he is a terrible recruiter.  I think he has a good eye for talent.  Its just that sometimes it seems as if other factors take precedence other than is this guy the best.

Cleveland is on that list because the SEC lacks many good TEs.  Look at the 2nd team TE.  It's Andy Boyd.  Andy Boyd is a 6th year guy(1 medical redshirt year and 1 regular redshirt).  Boyd has caught very few passes in his career and will likely never play in the NFL.   Just pull up Andy Boyd's stats, nothing that would warrant All SEC other than the fact that he's been in the SEC since Fred Talley's days. 

Boner

Luigs--vastly underrated
Dacus--rated about right
Hewitt--was a juco

While I don't disagree, I don't think anyone gave some of the players that much credit when they were signed.  If I dared to call a 3-star recruit "blue chip" or said that a recruit was underrated due to injury, I think I would qualify as a hugger.

I think at some point we have to say these players were either a) well evaluated by the staff, or b) well developed by the staff. 

Boner

That's a good point, however if you look at 2006 year end All-SEC team, we had 10 players on the first and second team, second most in the SEC I believe.

http://www.secsports.com/index.php?url_channel_id=2&url_article_id=8057&url_subchannel_id=&change_well_id=2

And these aren't the same players on the 2006, and 2007 teams.  We lost Ugoh, Tubbs, Anderson, Butu, and Houston who all made the squad.

ballhog88

Monk was a 2*
Hewitt 2*
Luigs 2*
Fairchild 2*
Dmac 5*
Felix4*
The rest 3 *

It just goes to show you can't rank heart and dedication.

ListenHereMister

It just goes to show you.
Houston Nutt is pretty darn good afterall.

Go Hogs!!

jackflash

Rivals or Scout can't see all these players, so they listen to what other tell them. Kids from FL/TX/CA seem to be rated a little higher because their from these states. I think the Arkansas kids have been underrated for a while. Arkansas coaches didn't really care, and I don't blame them because they didn't have fight other top schools. now that they are noticed it a problem. I think this staff knows where the players are just can't seem to get them. Wining makes things so much easier, if they win 10 games this year, recruiting will be easier next year.

Tammany Tom

You guys confuse individual rankings with team recruiting rankings. You can always get individual rankings incorrect. However, team rankings, determine overall depth which tells the true story of wether teams will be successful over a period of time.

Team recruiting rankings are everything:

Top Five Average SEC Team Recruiting Rankings This Decade

1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. LSU
4. Tennessee
5. Auburn

Top Five SEC Records This Decade

1. Auburn            42 - 14
2. LSU                41 – 15
2. Florida             41 – 15
4. Georgia           39 – 17
5. Tennessee       38 – 18

SEC Champions This Decade

Florida    2000, 2006
LSU   2001, 2003
Georgia   2002, 2005
Auburn   2004

National Champions This Decade

LSU
Florida

Top Schools with Players currently in NFL

Miami(fl)-42
Florida St-41
TENNESSEE-40
GEORGIA-39
Ohio State-39
Michigan-36
FLORIDA-35
Nebraska-32
LSU-31
Penn State-28
AUBURN-27

Conway Cool Daddy

The problem we have now and have always had in recruiting is the ability to build quality depth.
We have several great players backed up by average players and projects.

It's the same old problems year after year. No depth at QB, CB.
This is the first year I can remember us ever having quality players at WR,LB, and DL. Players at least deep enough to
avoid having injuries derail the season. ( See 2006.)

Houston plays Freshmen probably more than any other SEC coach. Why?
Because he has to.

cbjagman

Great that we had some many young men recognized. I sincerely hope that by the end of the season we have many more honored. One question, however: if we keep this trend up the ole moniker of Houston "doing more with less" with have to be modified. The potential problem for Dale would be that the expectations would likely also be raised. Gosh, that might force him to actually deliver better results more consistently than once every four or five years!

paraloma

Quote from: ListenHereMister on July 20, 2007, 10:44:20 am
It just goes to show you.
Houston Nutt is pretty darn good afterall.

Go Hogs!!

No it doesn't.  It shows Arkansas turned out some talent for a couple of years.  Those players would have come to Arkansas regardless of who the coach may have been.  Imagine how good our recruiting could be with a better coach.
Dallas Washington for Heisman

PennHOG

Quote from: Tammany Tom on July 20, 2007, 11:00:41 am
You guys confuse individual rankings with team recruiting rankings. You can always get individual rankings incorrect. However, team rankings, determine overall depth which tells the true story of wether teams will be successful over a period of time.

1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. LSU
4. Tennessee
5. Auburn

2. Florida             41 – 15
4. Georgia           39 – 17
5. Tennessee       38 – 18

Florida    2000, 2006
LSU   2001, 2003
Georgia   2002, 2005
Auburn   2004

LSU
Florida

Miami(fl)-42
Florida St-41
TENNESSEE-40
GEORGIA-39
Ohio State-39
Michigan-36
FLORIDA-35
Nebraska-32
LSU-31
Penn State-28
AUBURN-27

So what you're trying to say is Geogia does less with more?
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

razorsox

1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. LSU
4. Tennessee
5. Auburn

Florida    2000, 2006
LSU   2001, 2003
Georgia   2002, 2005
Auburn   2004

LSU
Florida

Miami(fl)-42
Florida St-41
TENNESSEE-40
GEORGIA-39
Ohio State-39
Michigan-36
FLORIDA-35
Nebraska-32
LSU-31
Penn State-28
AUBURN-27

Good post.  I like facts because they confuse several posters on here.  Those schools all have good coaches.  Funny how that works.
The last thing we need is a bunch of rednecks running around with McFadden Cowboy jerseys.

ShellHog

July 20, 2007, 11:21:01 am #28 Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 11:23:34 am by ShellHog
Quote from: razorsox on July 20, 2007, 11:14:40 am

1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. LSU
4. Tennessee
5. Auburn

Florida    2000, 2006
LSU   2001, 2003
Georgia   2002, 2005
Auburn   2004

LSU
Florida

Miami(fl)-42
Florida St-41
TENNESSEE-40
GEORGIA-39
Ohio State-39
Michigan-36
FLORIDA-35
Nebraska-32
LSU-31
Penn State-28
AUBURN-27

Good post.  I like facts because they confuse several posters on here.  Those schools all have good coaches.  Funny how that works.

Fact I really like is 12 All SEC seletions on the 07' Hog football team.   I also like the fact that HOGS drumed Aubie & Tennessee last season.  I like the fact that D-MAC is the best player in the SEC.  Really like the fact.....

ShellHog

Quote from: opineonswine on July 20, 2007, 11:18:08 am

If we have so many studs, why can't we ever win the big one?  Why can't the coaches engineer an SEC championship?  Why can't we ever be ranked?  Why have we never been to a BCS bowl?

The misperception that DMW does more with less is simply wrong.  He fails to coach up to the talent and facilities available to him.  He's a goof.

Winning @ No 2 team in the country last season is a BIG ONE...Possibly the biggest one in SCHOOL HISTORY!  Hammering TENN @ home with Gameday crew is considered pretty big win.  just sayin

Choctaw Hog

It does makes one wonder how in the hell we are doing less with more.   

razorsox

Quote from: ShellHog on July 20, 2007, 11:21:01 am
Quote from: razorsox on July 20, 2007, 11:14:40 am

1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. LSU
4. Tennessee
5. Auburn

Florida    2000, 2006
LSU   2001, 2003
Georgia   2002, 2005
Auburn   2004

LSU
Florida

Miami(fl)-42
Florida St-41
TENNESSEE-40
GEORGIA-39
Ohio State-39
Michigan-36
FLORIDA-35
Nebraska-32
LSU-31
Penn State-28
AUBURN-27

Fact I really like is 12 All SEC seletions on the 07' Hog football team.   I also like the fact that HOGS drumed Aubie & Tennessee last season.  I like the fact that D-MAC is the best player in the SEC.  Really like the fact.....

Wow, I must have touched a nerve if you thought I was refering to you about posters being uncomfortable about facts.  We all know how much you rely on them.  I bet 38-36, no BCS games, no SEC Championships are some of your favorites too!
The last thing we need is a bunch of rednecks running around with McFadden Cowboy jerseys.

jabohog

Quote from: dfresh on July 20, 2007, 08:40:10 am

You must be a "glass is half empty" kinda guy. Huh?
9 years of mediocrity will do that to ya.

jabohog

Quote from: ShellHog on July 20, 2007, 08:58:05 am
Luigs--vastly underrated
Dacus--rated about right
Hewitt--was a juco

You saying you think 3*'s are Blue Chips......Monk, Cleveland, & Jones were 3*'s if memory serves.
Jones may have been rated 4* in one publication.  So thats two 4*'s out of 11.

"Disorganization" - "Scrambling" should not = 11 All SEC players...2nd most in SEC.   Thats what I mean, what you say does not add up. 

Once again, 2nd most in the SEC one out 9 years. Herbstriet even says Nutt has a good team every 3 or 4 years. That is not consistant. Felix Jones was a scramble that Nutt lucked out on. He wanted to go to Tennessee, but changed his mind at the last minute. How about depth? We've never had it. Whiney coach says we would have won some of the last three games if Hillis hadn't been hurt. They had an offensive lineman playing full back. Haven't we recruited any FBs since Hillis? Of coarse we have, where were they? Either hurt or on the bench while an OL tried his best at the position. What about Grant? They were in a scramble to find someone for safety when Grant took the job. Dacus is the first solid MLB we've had since Herring got here.

Rolex

NO EXCUSES THEN! If we don't win 10 or 11 having that many pre-season All SEC picks, the season is a failure. No excuses from Nutt that we couldn't do this or we couldn't do that. It is time to GET IT DONE! BCS!

351hog

July 20, 2007, 01:00:42 pm #35 Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 01:02:22 pm by 351hog
Luigs--vastly underrated
Dacus--rated about right
Hewitt--was a juco

So a 3 star kid is a blue chip recruit?  If that is the case then we have signed a whole lot of blue chips, so then why does everyone gripe about recruiting??  Hell, we already have commits from at least 6 blue chip players this year. 

silvertip

Quote from: hogfan064 on July 20, 2007, 09:19:13 am

Rivals and Scout have to use tactics like this to sale memberships.   If all the 5 stars have committed then who's going to care when Feb roles around?   That's why they will create 5 stars in order to grab attention.

Another part of that is that star ratings change over time, based on performance in their senior seasons. Just because a recruit is a 5 right now & winds up a 4 doesn't mean there is any kind of conspiracy. It could just mean his senior season was not so hot, or he was injured.

A player can move up as well, based on a great senior year.

I think if you researched Hogville threads, you would find it is mainly huggers that question the recruiting rankings. Because they can't stand the REALITY that HDN's classes are always in the 7th to 9th range among SEC teams.

IronHog

1. Georgia
2. Florida
3. LSU
4. Tennessee
5. Auburn

2. LSU                41 ? 15
2. Florida             41 ? 15
4. Georgia           39 ? 17
5. Tennessee       38 ? 18

Florida    2000, 2006
LSU   2001, 2003
Georgia   2002, 2005
Auburn   2004

LSU
Florida

Miami(fl)-42
Florida St-41
TENNESSEE-40
GEORGIA-39
Ohio State-39
Michigan-36
FLORIDA-35
Nebraska-32
LSU-31
Penn State-28
AUBURN-27

Yep.

Tenn's problem the past 5 years or so has not been the external recruitment but the internal retention of players the past few years.  They seem to have lost a ton of kids due to off the field issues.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

FAABrad

With all that high-calibre talent we should win at least 10 games if not more.  BCS here we come.

jamie72921

Have you ever heard of depth?

It is what really seperates programs that recruit well from the ones that don't, not just the starters.

We do not have depth, never have under Nutt, and never will. Therefore, he is not a good recruiter and it is the lack of depth in his recruiting classes that get them ranked poorly.

It really isn't that complicated.
Bless your heart

Biggus Piggus

July 20, 2007, 01:18:20 pm #40 Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 01:30:19 pm by Biggus Piggus
Quote from: ballhog88 on July 20, 2007, 10:35:10 am
Monk was a 2*
Hewitt 2*
Luigs 2*
Fairchild 2*
Dmac 5*
Felix4*
The rest 3 *

It just goes to show you can't rank heart and dedication.

Monk was not a 2-star.  Fairchild was not seriously rated as he was clearly academically ineligible coming out of high school and then not widely recruited in prep school (as he was a sign-and-place).  But he was known to be a good player and not at all a surprise.  The others who are 3-stars still deserve to be.
[CENSORED]!

HoopHog

You demonstrate (almost daily) an incredibly shallow and simplistic rationale. 

First of all...this is a preseason list.  If no Hogs made it to this list, YOU would be the one saying..."Hey, hold on...that is a preseason list.  Wait until D-MAC runs all over em and proves them wrong!"  This list is looking at the stock of players and presumptively picking the best.  NOTE - Irons from Auburn was 1st team RB on the preseason list last year.  How did he do?  Yeah...exactly!

Second...if you are able to stay with me here.  Arkansas; recruiting has helped the Hogs build a competent layer in a league that demands -- DEMANDS two deep talent.  Who fielded those punts in the SEC-CG last year?  Who took Michael Grant's place and got BURNED in the LSU game? 

Arkansas falls well short of our competition in recruiting...period.  We get the starters, but we have very little behind them.  Where Arkansas has 12 guys who have enough exposure to make this list...other teams have 20 30 skilled players on the sidelines who would easily make this list if they had an opportunity to get playing time to get their names out there.  But, they stand on the sidelines 3rd, 4th or 5th on the deep list playing behind not one, but two players who are capable of competing in this league.

Our talent is top heavy.  We are so dependent upon it just to survive SEC play, very few players on our two deep roster get to develop before someone blows a knee and the next guy on the roster is FORCED to play.

So, what happens to the Hogs if Casey Dick gets injured?  Peyton Hillis gets injured?  Freddie Fairchild gets injured?  Marcus Monk gets injured?  Jonathan Luigs gets injured?  Robert Felton gets injured?  Marcus Harridon gets injured.  WHAT IF...Darren McFadden gets injured???

THIS is when our lackadaisical recruiting ...just getting enough to get by, will catch up with us...just like it did at the end of last season.

cbjagman

Quote from: FAABrad on July 20, 2007, 01:06:43 pm
With all that high-calibre talent we should win at least 10 games if not more.  BCS here we come.
Certainly had the chance to get to the BCS last year. All we had to do was either: Beat LSU to take us to 11 wins and/or beat Florida in the SECC game. Guys, winning ten is great; however, last season showed us it isn't a "done deal" making it to bht BCS just because you win ten.

Biggus Piggus

"Disorganization" - "Scrambling" should not = 11 All SEC players...2nd most in SEC.   Thats what I mean, what you say does not add up. 

McFadden 2005 top recruiting priority
Luigs 2004 early commit
Felton 2004 early commit
Monk 2004 early commit
Jones 2005 late commit recruited all year
Robinson 2005 early commit
Cleveland 2006 late commit gotten by Gus
Harrison 2003 and '04 early commit
Dacus 2004 early commit
Fairchild 2004 and '05 early commit
Hewitt 2006 late scramble find by Wood

The frantic scrambles have yielded one really good player, who wasn't good enough to play at his native position last year.  Fifteen signees in the 2004 class didn't pan out at all.  Five others have been negligible factors so far.  Ten have been players, several really good players.  And 2004 was supposed to be a sterling example of Houston Nutt recruiting.  With a 33% hit rate.
[CENSORED]!

ShellHog

Quote from: HoopHog on July 20, 2007, 01:18:23 pm

You demonstrate (almost daily) an incredibly shallow and simplistic rationale. 

First of all...this is a preseason list.  If no Hogs made it to this list, YOU would be the one saying..."Hey, hold on...that is a preseason list.  Wait until D-MAC runs all over em and proves them wrong!"  This list is looking at the stock of players and presumptively picking the best.  NOTE - Irons from Auburn was 1st team RB on the preseason list last year.  How did he do?  Yeah...exactly!

Second...if you are able to stay with me here.  Arkansas; recruiting has helped the Hogs build a competent layer in a league that demands -- DEMANDS two deep talent.  Who fielded those punts in the SEC-CG last year?  Who took Michael Grant's place and got BURNED in the LSU game? 

Arkansas falls well short of our competition in recruiting...period.  We get the starters, but we have very little behind them.  Where Arkansas has 12 guys who have enough exposure to make this list...other teams have 20 30 skilled players on the sidelines who would easily make this list if they had an opportunity to get playing time to get their names out there.  But, they stand on the sidelines 3rd, 4th or 5th on the deep list playing behind not one, but two players who are capable of competing in this league.

Our talent is top heavy.  We are so dependent upon it just to survive SEC play, very few players on our two deep roster get to develop before someone blows a knee and the next guy on the roster is FORCED to play.

So, what happens to the Hogs if Casey Dick gets injured?  Peyton Hillis gets injured?  Freddie Fairchild gets injured?  Marcus Monk gets injured?  Jonathan Luigs gets injured?  Robert Felton gets injured?  Marcus Harridon gets injured.  WHAT IF...Darren McFadden gets injured???

THIS is when our lackadaisical recruiting ...just getting enough to get by, will catch up with us...just like it did at the end of last season.

alright dude...98% of team's could not withstand injury's you mentioned.  oh well.

Everything I've heard is that Shepard, Powers, Davis's, M. Smith, Valdez, Gregory, Gray, Bledsoe, Love are good young players that are developing.  Sounds like your wanting quality/experienced/solid/4* players on second and third teams.  Not going to happen (its another pipedream from you)!!!  Have told you I know your type....but keep dreaming.

Every team is going to have young kids that need to step up.....the point I am making is HOGS have many underrated players out of High School make pre-season all SEC.  Why would we not think many of the younger kids on the team were also underrated out of HS?

Take a deep breath, smile, & enjoy what these HOGS have in 07'.         

jamie72921

You couldn't be more wrong about teams not withstanding injuries.

Florida lost 3 starting d linemen and won the national championship. Wake Forrest lost their starting qb and made a BCS bowl. So did OU.

Surely we can expect to be as good as Wake?
Bless your heart

ShellHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 20, 2007, 01:29:54 pm

McFadden 2005 top recruiting priority
Luigs 2004 early commit
Felton 2004 early commit
Monk 2004 early commit
Jones 2005 late commit recruited all year
Robinson 2005 early commit
Cleveland 2006 late commit gotten by Gus
Harrison 2003 and '04 early commit
Dacus 2004 early commit
Fairchild 2004 and '05 early commit
Hewitt 2006 late scramble find by Wood

The frantic scrambles have yielded one really good player, who wasn't good enough to play at his native position last year.  Fifteen signees in the 2004 class didn't pan out at all.  Five others have been negligible factors so far.  Ten have been players, several really good players.  And 2004 was supposed to be a sterling example of Houston Nutt recruiting.  With a 33% hit rate.

I want recruiting to improve...no doubt.    Just seems recruiting may be better than many on this board perceive......its a good thing!

ShellHog

Quote from: jamie72921 on July 20, 2007, 01:39:39 pm

Florida lost 3 starting d linemen and won the national championship. Wake Forrest lost their starting qb and made a BCS bowl. So did OU.

HOGS would have beaten Shilo out of OU & Wake....OU DID NOT beat a top 20 team.
Florida can with-stand injuries better than most, but not injuries to All-American RB, All American Center, starting FB, starting QB, starting Guard, outside LB, Def Tackle, top WR.   That would make you wrong. but don't worry about it.

OTTER

I'm just glad that some of those who continually slam our recruiting--have absolutely nothing to do with it! :)
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

jamie72921

Quote from: ShellHog on July 20, 2007, 01:45:45 pm
Quote from: jamie72921 on July 20, 2007, 01:39:39 pm

HOGS would have beaten Shilo out of OU & Wake....OU DID NOT beat a top 20 team.
Florida can with-stand injuries better than most, but not injuries to All-American RB, All American Center, starting FB, starting QB, starting Guard, outside LB, Def Tackle, top WR.   That would make you wrong. but don't worry about it.

I believe that you are the one stating that 98% couldn't overcome injuries and be successful. I guess making the BCS series isn't successful?

Please, don't let facts get in the way of your opinion.
Bless your heart