Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Scared of Saban?

Started by ALLVOL, July 03, 2007, 09:44:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ALLVOL

Are hog fans scared of Saban? I'm not at all! The talk on ESPN, SI etc is like Saban is this great coach that is going to win everything. He only had a few 10 plus win seasons at LSU and MSU in total. He went to a school (LSU) where if he only keeps half the kids in New Orleans area he will field a monster team. I think he is in over his head at bammer. Those tools they call fans are getting ready to really get devastated and I for one love it. I think UT, LSU, Hogs, Auburn all beat them this year.

The Marmot

I'm not scared... I think I could take him.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

tobs54

I don't speak for all fans (obviously) but I am not scared of Saban, and have to agree with you somewhat about him being in over his head.  He is a good coach, and will field some great teams, but I think it is going to take him a year or two before we see one. 

ALLVOL

Something else people need to remember. How often does a National Championship winning coach win a title at more than one school? Pick your brain on that!

BigDave70

"No coach has ever won a game by what he knows; it's what his players know that counts."  Paul "Bear" Bryant

HoopHog

ABSOLUTELY!  Except for the exceptional prowess of one exceptional quarterback who decided to take it upon himself to win a game in Little Rock, Saban has ALWAYS had Nutt's number...and probably always will.

Arkapigdiesel

Saban will win a National Title at 'Bama within five years.
Quote from: Mike Irwin on September 27, 2012, 10:54:27 am
Show me a school that has rational fans and I'll show you a loser.

ALLVOL

Quote from: HoopHog on July 03, 2007, 09:55:35 am
ABSOLUTELY!  Except for the exceptional prowess of one exceptional quarterback who decided to take it upon himself to win a game in Little Rock, Saban has ALWAYS had Nutt's number...and probably always will.

Matt Jones was a freak of nature to say the least. I remember watching him run and it was like he was running in slow motion but no one could catch him. Then you realized he was taking 30 yards per step... But Saban is a good coach but he is not the be all end all. I think he is in over his head big time. With all the money they gave him they can't even fire him. This could not happen to a better program than bammer. They are the dirtiest program in the history of NCAA football.

ALLVOL

Quote from: PBD on July 03, 2007, 09:57:13 am

Can you name a coach that has done it at more than one school?

HoopHog

July 03, 2007, 10:04:08 am #9 Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 10:08:05 am by HoopHog

AGREED!

ALLVOL...your suggestion about cvery few coaches winning national championships at more than one school is good in theory, but it is also a fallacy of reasoning and here is why.  A coach wins a national champoionship at a school and more often than not that coach becomes a franchise coach for that institution (unless personal affairs get in the way, such as personality clashes like Holtz at ND, personal problems like drinking..i.e. your own Johnny Majors, etc.) 

Most coaches who win a national championship become a fixture at their respective school - Bowden, Paterno, Switzer, Stoops, Tressel (who won four national championships at Youngstown State)...even your own Fulmer.  They don't very often leave for another school.  What we have seen are collge coaches who gave pro football a try and returned to the college ranks (i.e. Spurrier and Saban, to name two).

But, one coach who DID win national championships at two schools finished up at (of all places) - ALABAMA.  Yes, the Bear won National Championships at more than one school (to answer your question).

razorbass

I've got a good five minutes left in me, and that's four more than he could stand!!!!!!!!!

ALLVOL

Quote from: HoopHog on July 03, 2007, 10:04:08 am

AGREED!

ALLVOL...your suggestion about cvery few coaches winning national championships at more than one school is good in theory, but it is also a fallacy of reasoning and here is why.  A coach wins a national champoionship at a school and more often than not that coach becomes a franchise coach for that institution (unless personal affairs get in the way, such as personality clashes like Holtz at ND, personal problems like drinking..i.e. your own Johnny Majors, etc.) 

Most coaches who win a national championship become a fixture at their respective school - Bowden, Paterno, Switzer, Stoops, Tressel (who won four national championships at Youngstown State)...even your own Fulmer.  They don't very often leave for another school.  What we have seen are collge coaches who gave pro football a try and returned to the college ranks (i.e. Spurrier and Saban, to name two).

But, one coach who DID win national championships at two schools finished up at (of all places) - ALABAMA.  Yes, the Bear won National Championships at more than one school (to answer your question).

No he didn't. Only won one in bammer

HoopHog

WRONG.

Bryant coached at the University of Kentucky for eight seasons. Under Bryant, Kentucky made its first bowl appearance (1947) and won its first (and only) Southeastern Conference title (1950). The 1950 Kentucky team concluded its season with a victory over Bud Wilkinson's #1 ranked Oklahoma Sooners in the Sugar Bowl, and Kentucky was awarded a share of the National Championship.

Feralhog

ALLVOL assures us that he thinks Saban is in over his head.  And to think I was getting nervous because  MOST EXPERTS agree Saban will have Bama back on top in short order.  Silly me.  Thank God those 12 some NC that Alabama claims were a result of the Tide doing it Nutt's way.  (more with less) The odds of him recruiting monster teams in Tuscaloosa are pretty thin. 

Now I'm really pumped.  Thanks for the info and woo pig sooieee. 

Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

TheHogFan

Quote from: BigDave70 on July 03, 2007, 09:54:13 am
Bring it on Satan
Thats the kind of attitude that we should have.

Hogeye_Pierce

AGREED!

Where did The Bear win a National Championship besides Alabama? Sure wasn't at KY or aTm. Did he coach somewhere else that I'm not aware of?
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

HoopHog

July 03, 2007, 10:22:42 am #16 Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 10:26:16 am by HoopHog
Regardless of whether he will win a national championship has no bearing on how he will play the Hogs (I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, actually).  Again, he has more often than not...had Nutt's number.  I doubt that things will be any different this go around.

selfexplanatory

Quote from: Hogeye_Pierce on July 03, 2007, 10:20:20 am

AGREED!

Where did The Bear win a National Championship besides Alabama? Sure wasn't at KY or aTm. Did he coach somewhere else that I'm not aware of?

His 1950 team at Kentucky was 11-1 and beat number 1 OK in the Sugar Bowl.  As we know with our own natl championship, back in the day National Championships were given out before bowls by the AP and the UPI.  Kentucky's 1950 team is credited with a 'share' of the national championship, just as several other teams have been before 1974 and after 1974.  There is no playoff, and many outlets hand out national championships.
This year's nominee for the Coopy award.
Quote from: majp51 on June 02, 2010, 03:27:42 pm
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.
Or have you forgotten where Damian Williams played school?

HoopHog

July 03, 2007, 10:30:17 am #18 Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 10:33:36 am by HoopHog
Quote from: selfexplanatory on July 03, 2007, 10:28:22 am
Quote from: Hogeye_Pierce on July 03, 2007, 10:20:20 am

AGREED!

His 1950 team at Kentucky was 11-1 and beat number 1 OK in the Sugar Bowl.  As we know with our own natl championship, back in the day National Championships were given out before bowls by the AP and the UPI.  Kentucky's 1950 team is credited with a 'share' of the national championship, just as several other teams have been before 1974 and after 1974.  There is no playoff, and many outlets hand out national championships.

Thank you, Self.

This whole natiopnal championship debate is really off topic, but I love this kind of stuff!

I also just found this in my saved files (I have far too many saved files for this very reason):

Kentucky: Sagarin
Oklahoma: AP, Berryman, Helms, Litkenhous, UPI, Williamson
Princeton: Boand, Poling
Tennessee: Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, Football Research, National Championship Foundation

'1950 was one of the most tumultuous years for laying claim to the hypothetic "national championship" of college football.'

selfexplanatory

I Just had to do a little research...I vaguely remembered Kentucky being honored a few years ago.  I am one of the ones who believe until they get some kind of science football championships, I will honor multiple champions when justified.  I haven't however heard of an SEC West championship, but was damn proud of the players anyway.
Err, now I know it's easy to bash Shiloh Christian, but I'm pretty there aren't that many high schools in Arkansas that have a player picked in the 3rd round of the NFL Draft.

Richard_white

Who can honestly say they are scared of Houston Nutt?  Not many

I can see why they are scared of playing DMac but not Nutter Butter.

I would love to have a coach like Saban that can strike some fear in most teams.

Landonhog

July 03, 2007, 10:36:38 am #21 Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 10:38:45 am by Landonhog
Quote from: HoopHog on July 03, 2007, 10:22:42 am
Regardless of whether he will win a national championship has no bearing on how he will play the Hogs (I'm not sure what that has to do with anything, actually).  Again, he has more often than not...had Nutt's number.  I doubt that things will be any different this go around.

With or without Saban, I'd say LSU has had most every coach's "number" for the last half decade or so...  We'll see what he does with Bama's talent.  They'll be good, but he's not walking into a "LSU type" situation... 

selfexplanatory

Welcome back HoopHog and umm amend the post where you stand corrected to well you were correct all along.

HoopHog

Quote from: selfexplanatory on July 03, 2007, 10:33:13 am
I Just had to do a little research...I vaguely remembered Kentucky being honored a few years ago.  I am one of the ones who believe until they get some kind of science football championships, I will honor multiple champions when justified.  I haven't however heard of an SEC West championship, but was damn proud of the players anyway.

That is the way Alabama and Bama fans have always done it. I don't blame em, either.  If any of the major sources declared Bama national champs, then Bama fans considered themselves national champs.  Until the BCS, I think they were totally justified in doing this. 

Thanks, Self.  I removed the erroneous correction! LOL

WilsonHog

July 03, 2007, 10:43:20 am #24 Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 10:48:32 am by WilsonHog
I'm not scared of Saban.

I do think he's one of the four or five best coaches in the college game.

Nutts and Bolts

In La. he got all the recruits... In Alabama, he will only get half the recruits...
A new era has begun in Fayetteville

TheHogFan

Quote from: Nutts and Bolts on July 03, 2007, 10:44:59 am
In La. he got all the recruits... In Alabama, he will only get half the recruits...
If that much. I know FSU loves to go into Bama and grab a recruit or two.

hawgslop00

I think he will make them better this year than they were last year, and considering how the game against Bama went last year, there is reason enough to worry, but I don't know about being scared of him.

little pigee

I'm scared, but I'm acting brave!  Even washed up NC coaches have an SEC West title left in them.  We have the trophy to prove it! ;)
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Gushugger

Quote from: ALLVOL on July 03, 2007, 10:01:48 am

Can you name a coach that has done it at more than one school?

How many win National Championships, leave and come back?  He's is a different league guys.

The original poster said "he only had a few 10 win seasons at a couple of schools".  Winning a national championship and "a few 10 win seasons" is reason enough to be scared.  It's more than our coach has done BY FAR.

I think Bama and the Hogs will be evenly matched this year.  Their D is going to be pretty good this year and their offense isn't shabby.  The problem is with the coaching.  Saban out coaches Nutt 10/10 times.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: ALLVOL on July 03, 2007, 10:00:04 am
Quote from: HoopHog on July 03, 2007, 09:55:35 am

Matt Jones was a freak of nature to say the least. I remember watching him run and it was like he was running in slow motion but no one could catch him. Then you realized he was taking 30 yards per step... But Saban is a good coach but he is not the be all end all. I think he is in over his head big time. With all the money they gave him they can't even fire him. This could not happen to a better program than bammer. They are the dirtiest program in the history of NCAA football.

This is twice you've said he's in over his head.  Was he in over his at LSU where he won the SEC twice plus a BCS title?

He'll have them back on top in short order.   I agree with PBD, title within 5 years and they won't even be on probation after it.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Gushugger

Let me give you the best analogy I can think of.  Ever watch MMA, Pride Fighting, UFC?  Imagine Hooten being the red neck "Tough Man" winner from Arkansas that says "I ain't skeered!"

Now think of Saban as being a Brazilian Jujitsu technician with boxing and wrestling skills.  What do you think happens when Big John says "Let's get it on!"

Houston starts throwing haymakers.  Saban see him getting winded in the first 10 seconds.  Saban closes the distance, takes him down, passes the guard and takes side control.  It's over, the arm bar has been set.  All Hooten can do is TAP OUT. 

Look, Houston is going to be outcoached like he was against Florida, LSU, USC and Wisconsin.  Wisconsin was probably the worst 1 loss team EVER and they beat us.  You shouldn't lose a game when you have the two best running backs in the country. 

razorbackmkh

No, I personally am not scared of Saban. Houston Nutt probably should be though. Honestly, if you had to pick Saban or Nutt to coach your kids team, who would you pick? Houston "I want my players to like me" Nutt or Nick "You will learn the game in and out if you play for me" Saban. This is a no brainer. And if you're so short sided that you can't see beyond this season when Saban is playing kids he recruited well enjoy next season.
Every time I see a grown man in a backwards hat I want to b***h slap Trooper Taylor.

JaxnHog

Even HDN could have a top 10 recruiting class at LSU.....they have more high school football studs than crawdads down there

preacherhog

The dude has never had a losing season.  He has never had a losing conference record.  He's won two SEC titles and a National title.  Yeah, he's in waaaaay over his head.

stan the man

He wasn't all that hot at Michigan Sate.  That's because he had competition with Michigan.  He had no competition at LSU but he will again have competition in Alabama with Auburn.  Not saying he isn't a good coach because I would take him any day over Nutt.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: stan the man on July 03, 2007, 11:42:34 am
He wasn't all that hot at Michigan Sate.  That's because he had competition with Michigan.  He had no competition at LSU but he will again have competition in Alabama with Auburn.  Not saying he isn't a good coach because I would take him any day over Nutt.

WHAT?!!!   How about the rest of the SEC?
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

HoopHog

Quote from: Albert Einswine on July 03, 2007, 11:43:40 am
Quote from: stan the man on July 03, 2007, 11:42:34 am

WHAT?!!!   How about the rest of the SEC?

Don't even address that remark anymore, Albert.  That is one of those post that not even a poster can believe to be factual.  He is also convincing himself that there was not a second shooter on the grassy knoll!

COMPLETE FOLLY!

Chief Mac

Quote from: tobs54 on July 03, 2007, 09:48:58 am
I don't speak for all fans (obviously) but I am not scared of Saban, and have to agree with you somewhat about him being in over his head.  He is a good coach, and will field some great teams, but I think it is going to take him a year or two before we see one. 

I love your avatar!  Very nice, very nice
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

ALLVOL

In 5 years at LSU he had only one season where he lost less than 3 games. His record from 1990 until 2004.

9-2 Toledo
6-5 MSU
6-6 MSU
7-5 MSU
6-6 MSU
9-2 MSU
8-4 LSU
10-3 LSU
8-5 LSU
13-1 LSU
9-3 LSU
He is a good coach but not the God send the media is making him out to be.

Feralhog

MY GOD people.  This is like telling someone to blink their eyes when they need lubricating.  Saying Saban won't build one hell of a program at in Alabama is like saying people who are crapty drivers shouldn't worry about cholesterol. 

Alabama is the perfect fit for Saban.  He's a younger version of Gene Stallings.  Having free reign by Big money boosters means Saban will build Bama into a championship team the way they've historically won Championships.  via the defense.         
Seer, Sage, Soothsayer and former Computer repairman for Hunter Biden......Feralhog the Magnificent

COCHISE

I'm not scared of Saban YET.  People were saying the same thing when Spurrier took over at S. Carolina and his Carolina teams have been "mediocre" at best.  Saban is taking over a more talented team but I wouldn't crown him as the second coming of Bear Bryant just yet guys.

Feralhog

Quote from: 870 RZR on July 03, 2007, 12:02:40 pm
I'm not scared of Saban YET.  People were saying the same thing when Spurrier took over at S. Carolina and his Carolina teams have been "mediocre" at best.  Saban is taking over a more talented team but I wouldn't crown him as the second coming of Bear Bryant just yet guys.

Apples and oranges.  Arkansas will win an SEC Championship before S. Carolina, I don't give a darn who their coach is.

ALLVOL

July 03, 2007, 12:04:50 pm #43 Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 12:13:15 pm by Feralhog
Quote from: Feralhog on July 03, 2007, 12:01:50 pm
MY GOD people.  This is like telling someone to blink their eyes when they need lubricating.  Saying Saban won't build one hell of a program at in Alabama is like saying people who are crapty drivers shouldn't worry about cholesterol. 

Alabama is the perfect fit for Saban.  He's a younger version of Gene Stallings.  Having free reign by Big money boosters means Saban will build Bama into a championship team the way they've historically won Championships.  via the defense.         

I just have to disagree with you. I think bammer is in for a huge let down and I for one am glad to see it coming. I think he is a good coach but they (bammer fans) are looking for the next Bear and He is by no means a Gene Stallings.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Feralhog on July 03, 2007, 12:04:47 pm

Apples and oranges.  Arkansas will win an SEC Championship before S. Carolina, I don't give a crap who their coach is.

Go back and look. The media DID make predictions that SOS would own the SEC E within a few years and win an SECC out right.
And for the record as much as I dislike SOS, he is a much better coach than Saban.

Feralhog

July 03, 2007, 12:09:34 pm #45 Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 12:12:24 pm by Feralhog
Quote from: ALLVOL on July 03, 2007, 12:04:50 pm

I just have to disagree with you. I think bammer is in for a huge let down and I for one am glad to see it coming. I think he is a good coach but they (bammer fans) are looking for the next Bear and He is by no means a Gene Stallings.

You're right, he's no Gene Stallings.  Saban will open their offense a hell of a lot more than the offenses under Gene.  Some of you people have passed the stage of heads in the sand.

COCHISE

Quote from: Feralhog on July 03, 2007, 12:04:47 pm

Apples and oranges.  Arkansas will win an SEC Championship before S. Carolina, I don't give a crap who their coach is.
I hope you're right about Arkansas, but honestly if we don't win the SEC this year we may not do it before S. Carolina.  Spurrier has started recruiting "his" guys and had the #5 or #6 recruiting class in the nation last year. 

HighOnHogs

Alabama should have beat us last year without Saban.   I don't see us winning this game at all with our current defense.

ALLVOL

Quote from: Feralhog on July 03, 2007, 12:09:34 pm
Quote from: ALLVOL on July 03, 2007, 12:04:50 pm

Alabama is the perfect fit for Saban.  He's a younger version of Gene Stallings and Bama fans learned their lesson and they no longer give a crap about flashy, Florida style offenses, that many wanted in the mid 90's.  Having free reign by Big money boosters means Saban will build Bama into a championship team the way they've historically won Championships.  via the defense.         

Your right, he's no Gene Stallings.  Saban will open their offense a hell of a lot more than the offenses under Gene.  Some of you people have passed the stage of heads in the sand.

My head is not in the sand at all. I stand by my post that he is a good coach not the God send the media is making him out to be. I posted his record. Look at it. There are only 2 seasons that stick out. I take nothing away from his NC and SEC titles. But Dinardo left him with a very talented team and he kept the kids in state mostly. I don't think he will be able to get the same kind of kids to go to bammer. Auburn, Tennessee, Florida and Mississippi all raid the state of Alabama for talent. Will they be better than under Shula? Of course but I don't think he will ever win another national championship. I say he loses 4 or 5 games this year. I predict they will lose 4 or 5 of these games UT, Auburn, LSU, Arkansas, Georgia and Florida State

ALLVOL

If bammer loses 4 things will be hot in bammer land. If they lose 5 and then their bowl? Things will start to unravel fast. That is the bammer way. They just can't help it.