Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Sporting News Says HDN is a Great, Great Coach...

Started by JusJim, April 11, 2007, 05:39:04 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HAWGTROT

Quote from: JusJim on April 11, 2007, 05:39:04 pm
Time for the disgruntled fans to wake up and realize we really DO have a good coach.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=195996

The last sentence says...
Now Kodi Burns is in the mix. The freshman from Arkansas has drawn praise during his first three days on the college field, flashing a unusual set of skills.

He is the fastest quarterback on scholarship, and he doesn't seem to lose accuracy when forced to throw on the run. Those skills have Tuberville dreaming of a two-quarterback tandem -- with Burns used in special situations -- that could confound opposing defenses

"Once he's gone, Hogs fans finally may realize exactly what they had: A great, great coach."

missippihog

Time for the disgruntled fans to wake up and realize we really DO have a good coach.

"Once he's gone, Hogs fans finally may realize exactly what they had: A great, great coach."

Most everyone outside AR knows this. Those in AR need to wake up and realize coaches aren't lining up to take the job in F'Ville.

forrest city joe

If he's so good, how come Bama,NC state or Miami, would not hire him. he was sec Coach of the year.and they did not want him. does that not tell you something.

CCCharlie

This is obviously rediculous.
It is nutts to call him "great" much less "great, great."

How many yards of offense did we have against Wisc.

rtom

nutt is a VERY mediocre coach and always will be...had nebraska been dumb enough to hire nutt, he would have already been fired by them as well as LSU, bama  ncstate and miami...arkansas is the only place he could coach this long with the results he has put up....nutt is a loser

razorvision

Quote from: Newcoachplease on April 11, 2007, 06:35:39 pm
The guy is an idiot. Look at his rankings...

Nutt ranked above Fulmer!!! I hear Fat Phil telling Houston to "kiss the rings bitch"

Nutt above Miles: Nutt has never beat him.

Nutt above Richt: Georgia always creams Nutt.

And Meyer ranked third! The man won the NC last year.

This guy should have his journalism license revoked.

I think this guy was right on in the way he ranked the coaches...  You think Les Miles is a great coach?  If Miles is such a great coach, he should be playing for the NC every year.  His team is loaded with talent left over from Saban's era.  True... Nutt didn't win in Baton Rouge or Little Rock, but he also didn't have as much talent especially at the QB position.  Talk to any player on the team and they all like Nutt because he's a players coach and he gets the most with what he has.  I am excluding the premadonas from last years team that defected to USC.  If we can get consistent play at the QB position, then this will be a successful season.
Visit www.rsgcommunications.ws and save big on digital services for your home or office.

pimphog

Should have known there would be a million replies to this thread.......do you people ever give up on this crap?  What a waste of time......I mean how many times can you go over the same crap about HDN......nothing is going to happen to him until the end of the season......

razorvision

I think this guy did a good job evaluating and ranking the SEC coaches.  I don't know that Houston is a great coach, but he does manage to get more effort out of his players than say someone like Les Miles or Phillip Fulmer.  If the quarterback play can improve this year, Arkansas stands a good chance at competing for another Western Division Title and maybe another appearance in the SEC Title Game.

Go Hogs!
Visit www.rsgcommunications.ws and save big on digital services for your home or office.

HoggieStyle

Two points:

One - "great, great" coaches have better (way better) conference records than Nutt

Two - "great, great" coaches aren't worried about losing their job, or somebody "owing them one".

I'd like to know how anyone thinks that Nutt fits the description of anything more than an "average" coach.

"Great"? No

"Great, great"? Stop wasting my time.

Seebs

Not sure why this tripe was bumped -

I only pray that we Arkansas fans get an opportunity to miss Hooten. Man, let me get my crying towel ready.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Wooisme

August 12, 2007, 05:08:12 pm #210 Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 05:10:51 pm by Wooisme
This just just "in" from the Sporting News:  "Tarvaris Jackson To Transfer From Arkansas Razorbacks"

What member of the "POSSE" has compromising pictures of this reporter?...or maybe "they" just threatened to have a little talk with his boss or some magazine "sponsors" unless he played nice about "WhatMeWorry,Houston?" and his "consumate" coaching.

Just remember this: 

People outside the state of Arkansas who have a high opinion of NUTT have a LOW opinion of the University of Arkansas and the state.  Usually, they have NEVER been on campus and
know nothing of the growth and progress made in the state over the past 50 years.  THEY think we can't "do" any better than Nutt but ask them IF they want him and they'll look at you as though you've just stepped "wrong" in a cow pasture in August.

Don't believe me?  Ask.   
HDN: DID LESS with MORE than any coach in Razorback History.

RazorNick

WilsonHog

There is one thing that stands in the way of believing that Nutt is a "great" coach - my belief in our program.

Being the logical person that I am, if I believe Nutt is a "great" coach given his record at Arkansas, then I must be willing to concede that our program is second-rate, maybe even third-rate.

I cannot, will not, admit that. The day that I lower my expectations to that level will be the day that I stop contributing to the Foundation and buying season tickets.

Who in their right mind would voluntarily throw money down the toilet?

007 License To Squeal

August 12, 2007, 05:33:57 pm #213 Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 05:37:01 pm by 007 License To Squeal
Quote from: BigDeal on April 11, 2007, 05:43:17 pm
Quote from: RhodeHog on April 11, 2007, 05:39:36 pm
They are morons.

This reminds me of being off beat from everyone else doing jumping jacks. The swindling number of hardcord darksiders STILL don't  get it. Everyone else is wrong, and  they are right.

Amazing !

The objective data proves Nutt is medicre at best.  I present the following:

0 SEC Titles in 9 years
0 BCS bowls in 9 years
0 wins against Florida in 9 years
38-34 SEC record after 9 years
2-5 Bowl Record
Nutt lost a HS Player of the Year
Houston Nutt...the longest tenured Div 1 coach, at the same school, without a single BCS bowl appearance.

Now let's see your objective evidence.

Game, Set, Match......Anti-Nutt!
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

heathman

"The nation which indulges towards another a habitual hatred, or an habitual fondness, is in some degree a slave. It is a slave to its animosity or to its affection, either of which is sufficient to lead it astray from its duty and its interest." - George Washington

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: heathman on August 12, 2007, 05:39:12 pm
"The nation which indulges towards another a habitual hatred, or an habitual fondness, is in some degree a slave. It is a slave to its animosity or to its affection, either of which is sufficient to lead it astray from its duty and its interest." - George Washington

"There's a sucker born every minute"-  P T Barnum
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Theolesnort

Quote from: RhodeHog on April 11, 2007, 05:42:54 pm
Quote from: JusJim on April 11, 2007, 05:41:58 pm
They are morons.
Maybe it's time to wake up and listen to an unbiased opinion. 

Maybe that guy didn't even look at facts.  Facts like the ones in my sig line.  Did you ever think of that?

38-36 in SEC play
5-18 vs. TN, FL, GA, and LSU
0-2 in SECCGs
0-2 vs. USC (120 - 31 for total points)
2-5 in bowl games (0-3 vs. Big Ten)
0 BCS appearances (Longest tenure coach with 0)
Hmmm has the Borg (BAC) assimilated Tom Dienhart too?
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Razorback Jedi

They say that Nutt is a "great, great coach." I don't think that to be the case, but I do think Hog fans in general (sometimes including myself) believe the Razorbacks to be a top tier program capable of getting some of the best players and luring any coach we'd like. I think fans are delusional when they say that the Hogs could get a coach like Spurrier, Butch Davis, or Nick Saban (all of which have been rumored here to have interest in the hogs at some point during the past 3 years of Nutts tumultuous tenure).

Nutt is a average to good coach who'll always play 2nd or 3rd fiddle to the top guys.

heathman

"If I were to try to read, much less answer, all the attacks made on me, this shop might as well be closed for any other business. I do the very best I know how - the very best I can; and I mean to keep doing so until the end. If the end brings me out all right, what's said against me won't amount to anything. If the end brings me out wrong, ten angels swearing I was right would make no difference."

Houston Nutt

ABRAHAM LINCOLN

Fatty McGee

Quote from: missippihog on August 12, 2007, 04:11:56 pm
Most everyone outside AR knows this. Those in AR need to wake up and realize coaches aren't lining up to take the job in F'Ville.

So what are we doing in the SEC then if we should be happy with a 61% winning percentage and no conference championships in a decade? 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Cresthog

Quote from: Fatty McGee on August 12, 2007, 06:07:27 pm

So what are we doing in the SEC then if we should be happy with a 61% winning percentage and no conference championships in a decade? 

Boo Ya...

Fatty McGee

Quote from: razorvision on August 12, 2007, 04:56:35 pm
I think this guy did a good job evaluating and ranking the SEC coaches.  I don't know that Houston is a great coach, but he does manage to get more effort out of his players than say someone like Les Miles or Phillip Fulmer.  If the quarterback play can improve this year, Arkansas stands a good chance at competing for another Western Division Title and maybe another appearance in the SEC Title Game.

Go Hogs!

Don't you ever get tired of claiming an award that doesn't exist like the "Western Division Title"?

Don't you ever want to actually win rather than just "make an appearance"?

Fatty McGee

Quote from: razorvision on August 12, 2007, 04:32:21 pm
I think this guy was right on in the way he ranked the coaches...  You think Les Miles is a great coach?  If Miles is such a great coach, he should be playing for the NC every year.  His team is loaded with talent left over from Saban's era.  True... Nutt didn't win in Baton Rouge or Little Rock, but he also didn't have as much talent especially at the QB position.  Talk to any player on the team and they all like Nutt because he's a players coach and he gets the most with what he has.  I am excluding the premadonas from last years team that defected to USC.  If we can get consistent play at the QB position, then this will be a successful season.

So he gets the most with what he has?  Since he picked what he has, isn't that his fault?  Do you buy all second rate stuff so you can say "well, it lasted longer than I thought!" and feel good about that?

BigoBoys

OKhogfan1959

They are morons.
Jim if this is true? Why doesn't anyone else want him? I mean there's a lot of openings and your dad is looking and calling and begging and he had to come back to poor little Arkansas.
I know we can do better and most real fans know we are a lot better program than most think. It's mostly because Nutt badmouths us to the media. He had no options or he would be gone. Can't be soon enough for me. I hope some poor program believes the sporting news and hires the man!!

Is there even a sporting news anymore? I thought they were done?

darealdeal

guess we'll find out next year or so how good he is when compared to the new coach.

OKhogfan1959

You have drank the Nutt-Broyles kool aid. We have the facilities and HS football is improving at a high rate. Any good coach would do much better than Nutt and his crazied fan base are doing.

Shoatly

Quote from: darealdeal on August 12, 2007, 06:43:39 pm
guess we'll find out next year or so how good he is when compared to the new coach.

And we will see how well Dale does at his next coaching gig.  Remind me again, how did he do at Boise State? 

I seem to recall that this writer said almost the exact same thing a year ago.  If Hooten is such a "great, great" coach, why did he rank him 5th in the SEC?  Does that mean that the 4 above him are great, great, great coaches?

Cartoon Man

Do you believe everything you read. We know what we have in Nutt. I don't have to read about it.  I see it first hand.

oldtimerhog

Then the Sporting News knows not of what they speak!
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JusJim on April 11, 2007, 06:05:20 pm
Quote from: RhodeHog on April 11, 2007, 06:00:48 pm
Quote from: JusJim on April 11, 2007, 05:59:07 pm

I think everything he said was pretty fair and accurate.  If everyone would listen a little more to the national media and their jokes about the AR fanbase they might learn a little bit about themselves.

I would expect that out of you.  You would support Nutt no matter what he did, and you and I both know it.
That is far from true.  If someone could provide FACTS about some of the latest rumors then I'd not support him, but thus far all that is out there are made up slanderous lies based on some phone records.

Someone went to alot of trouble making things up with no proof.

I think it's a shame....that he has had to put up with all the ridicule and personal attacks based on nothing.

NO ONE has proof of anything.  I read another board that has a few posters who post just absolutely stupid stuff with no proof of anything.
Quote from: RhodeHog on April 11, 2007, 05:42:54 pm
They are morons.

Maybe that guy didn't even look at facts.  Facts like the ones in my sig line.  Did you ever think of that?

38-36 in SEC play
5-18 vs. TN, FL, GA, and LSU
0-2 in SECCGs
0-2 vs. USC (120 - 31 for total points)
2-5 in bowl games (0-3 vs. Big Ten)
0 BCS appearances (Longest tenure coach with 0)

Let's just pretend the other stuff doesn't exist and limit this only to football......ok? Check out Rhodehogs tag line above. All of that, plus.......multiple game losing streaks of 3, 4 or 5 games 6 out of the last 9 years. Recruiting classes in the bottom half of the SEC(7-9) the last nine years. Back to back SEC losses every year for the last 9 years. And I understand that when Nutt came here he wrote on the blackboard the infamous statement, "National Championship Under Construction". If he were a construction superintendent he woul dhave been fired long ago for cost over runs and missing deadlines.

This man is not a great, great coach, or even a great coach. I am not even sure he is average. Now, having said all of that, if you add in all the other "alleged" stuff, it is pretty obvious he has become more of a distraction and liability than an asset. Doesn't matter if it is true or false.......it is the perception and the ongoing black eye it gives the school and the program. He knows that this is true as well, I would bet. If he truly "loves the helmet" as he says he does, he should resign on the basis of what is good for the school and the program. But I doubt that will happen....at least not until he has arranged a nice, soft spot on which to land, somewhere else.
Go Hogs Go!

WilsonHog

It's a matter of perspective.

I don't believe that Nutt is a great coach, because I believe that a great coach would have produced better results than he has since 1998. I believe the Arkansas program has great potential, and that Nutt has taken it as far as he can.

Some people believe he is a great coach because they view Arkansas as being a program incapable from ever sitting at the head table of college football with schools like Florida, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc. Because the believe that, the results Nutt has achieved seem to them to be on parallel with what Pete Carroll has achieved at USC.

jmark

Quote from: WilsonHog on August 12, 2007, 07:41:19 pm
It's a matter of perspective.

I don't believe that Nutt is a great coach, because I believe that a great coach would have produced better results than he has since 1998. I believe the Arkansas program has great potential, and that Nutt has taken it as far as he can.

Some people believe he is a great coach because they view Arkansas as being a program incapable from ever sitting at the head table of college football with schools like Florida, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Ohio State, etc. Because the believe that, the results Nutt has achieved seem to them to be on parallel with what Pete Carroll has achieved at USC.

Well, we've had to lower our standards for him alright.
40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

drivetimeporks

good evening gents

i just wanna throw out that there is a real fine line between nutt ( who needs to go) and a "legendary" coach like mack brown..landing a miracle called Vince Young... with Nutts luck, MCHeisman will run for 2500 yards , win the nat championship, and the man will be a g-knee-us like old Mack Brown had a farm (dude is a .500 coach prior to texas) like nutt b4 arkansas

CorningHog

Anyone that knows anything about football would realize the level of quality you have with the current head coach.  To judge comments made in a newspaper by sportswriters, from anywhere, you are really opening yourself up.  Most of these guys that write never played a down of football and although that is not a prerequisite for being qualified to predict or judge coaching talent or football teams, it usually points to the "opinion" of those who write.  Opinions are cheap and plentiful.

Nutt has a .6069 winning percentage.  So if he has had 7 out of 9 above average seasons, then someone has a sad definition of excellence or above average.  I was always taught that 60% is a failing grade in High School.

Nutt has had 3 out of 9 above average seasons and of those 3, 2 were his first two years and they were met with plenty of poor coaching decisions.

I actually think that for Nutt to win an SEC Championship, he would have to clearly have 22 starters that were far and away better then the opposing teams 22 starters.  Most coaches that are great, great coaches, can win with comparable talent.  Nutt can't.  PERIOD!

Listen to the man speak and you hear someone apologizing or explaining away every single instance where his coaches prepare the players poorly.  It is usually the players fault.  Never the coaches.

I for one laugh at the people that defend Nutt's coaching ability.

Now, defending him as a person, that is fine and dandy.

His coaching ability is undefendable.
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of Heaven"

Hawgustus Maximus

The Drive by Media strikes again.
Poor research (lazy)
report based primarily on uninformed opinion
conclusions based on arrogance (itty-bitty arkies can't expect better than mediocrity)

ConwayHog

Time for the Sporting News to wake up and realize we really don't.

razorbass

Quote from: RhodeHog on April 11, 2007, 05:59:23 pm
Quote from: JusJim on April 11, 2007, 05:57:38 pm
Quote from: football-writer on April 11, 2007, 05:55:30 pm
Keep in mind that I don't work for or in any relation to the U of A or with TSN....are you calling them Morons simply because they said he was a great, great coach?  What if they said he was a terrible coach?  I'm just trying to get your rationale for calling them that.
Of course they would agree with them if they said he was a terrible coach...that's how the darkside works...they're opinions of people, reporters, papers, or websites change daily based on what is being said about HDN.

Whatever suits their agenda at the time.

Actually you're wrong JusJim.  I think he's an average coach.  He's had 9 seasons to prove that to me.  If anyone thinks he is an above average coach, I would question their IQ as well.  One season does not make a coach.
It pretty much did for Jack Crow!!!

drivetimeporks

honestly, where would Nutt be without  Matt Jones and DMAC.. both basically create offense from nothing.. and just happen to be exceptional  enough to get away with it...  ...

i dont care about what nutt does off the field,  but you know, if im that mediocre, id have lost my job long before they give me 9 years

chortle

Arkansas is not a top tier program.  Therein lies the problem.

Arkansas' football history rivals that of LSU.  It took LSU a half dozen coaching changes in 20 some odd years to find their man.  Saban restored the former glory.  The same could be done at Arkansas because, like LSU, the foundation is there.  In other words, Arkansas IS capable of becoming a top tier program once again.

The similarities are eerie.  LSU hung on to Charlie McClendon too long.  Arkansas is doing the same with Nutt.  Both had their moments, but neither were/are capable of sustained success.  And without sustained success Arkansas will never be considered a top tier program. 

The main difference is the PTB in Baton Rouge had the balls to do something about it and they now have a consistent Top 10 team and a recent NC to show for it.

We just still have Houston Nutt. Oh, and a 2nd place ring.

TX SUX

10 percenters will jump all over you for this post..

Mr. Hog

Go Hogs Go!

TennesseeRaz

I've never bought a single copy of TSN; if that's what they're trying to sell, I don't think I ever will.

sozo

I bet you can find a copy of that article on Nutt's office wall brutha! ;D

combsj

socrates was executed for publicly teaching that a representative democracy would not work as designed because of the corruptability of the individual.  turns out he was right and everyone else who was "objective" was wrong. 

same thing with galileo, he was executed for teaching that the sun was the center of the universe and that the earth revolved around it instead of the other way around.  again - he was right and everyone else was wrong (if you swap out universe for solar system....they didn't know any better, their telescopes sucked).

christopher columbus was ridiculed for theorizing the earth was round....

need more proof that just b/c the majority believes it to be so doesn't necessarily make it true?

I think some reporter who spent at most a few hours researching his article, and that I have no proof that he actually knows what is talking about, or that possibly knows less about HDN and Arkansas football than most every poster on this board's opinion doesn't mean squat to me.  You are giving him credibility b/c he is a reporter.  That is like saying W is a battlefield genius b/c he is commander-in-chief.

Hogs-n-Roses

Quote from: chortle on August 12, 2007, 08:29:48 pm
Arkansas is not a top tier program.  Therein lies the problem.

Arkansas' football history rivals that of LSU.  It took LSU a half dozen coaching changes in 20 some odd years to find their man.  Saban restored the former glory.  The same could be done at Arkansas because, like LSU, the foundation is there.  In other words, Arkansas IS capable of becoming a top tier program once again.

The similarities are eerie.  LSU hung on to Charlie McClendon too long.  Arkansas is doing the same with Nutt.  Both had their moments, but neither were/are capable of sustained success.  And without sustained success Arkansas will never be considered a top tier program. 

The main difference is the PTB in Baton Rouge had the balls to do something about it and they now have a consistent Top 10 team and a recent NC to show for it.

We just still have Houston Nutt. Oh, and a 2nd place ring.
Its not just LSU, its with all the top of the line Universities and its a real simple rule of thumb. 3-5 years and no conference champ and it is thank you for what you've done but you aren't going to get us there. This is what the PTB who are successful do.Now if its the PTB themselves that are the problem, those schools make the changes necessary in that area also. Only the losers and mediocre stay with the same crap for what 50 years. Come on we need change from top to bottom. JMO