Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

If Stoerner never fumbles, does Arkansas win the National Title?

Started by Sweet Feet, February 03, 2018, 04:43:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: razortrack on February 05, 2018, 01:53:47 am
Blah blah blah. What could have been if only!!!!  Blah blah blah

Quote from: Hogwop on February 05, 2018, 03:39:34 am
Yeah! God forbid people come to a message board and talk about things!

Man that's a big assed slap to the face with the hand of irony...  +1
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

PermianPig

Jim Harris

"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Steef

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

LZH

HotlantaHog

There's too much enthusiasm about the 1998 team. Until the Tennessee game, Arkansas hadn't played very tough competition... just the way the schedule worked out, it was a down nonconference schedule and a down SEC the Arkansas was facing ....

I think the odds of winning the national championship -- the SEC championship and then against some really good team -- are pretty low.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on February 04, 2018, 11:58:28 pm
However, what most forget is how costly the Miss State loss was. THAT was the one that ended any title hopes. That loss kept us from the rematch with Tennessee. Instead, Miss State won the West.

You're right. But the Clint fumble is so memorable, to the degree that I have no recollection of the Mississippi State loss. Most of us probably dismissed it as the hangover from the Tennessee loss the week before. But had we beaten the Dawgs, we would have been in the SEC title game.

As for the OP's original question, the answer has too many "ifs". If there's no fumble, do we keep the ball? If Tennessee gets it back, do they score anyway? If we win that game, do we beat Mississippi State? Most would say probably. Then, do we beat Tennessee again?

In all these scenarios, you have to factor in one more thing—our ranking. At time time we played Tennessee, they were No. 1 (and had been top 3 for a long time). But we were No. 10 (or something like that). Sure we would have gone up, but how far? 10 to top 2 or 3 is a long way to go. All the Vols had to do was stay there to make the title game. Who knows what the pollsters would have done with us.

redleg

The answer is NO.
Tennessee would have beaten Arkansas in the SEC Championship Game for revenge.

The bigger question is, "If Arkansas had played right and beaten Miss St the next weekend, which would have handed the Hogs the outright West title, would Arkansas have beaten Tennessee in the SEC Championship Game?" The answer to that questions is YES! And Arkansas would have had a great shot at beating FSU in the national title game.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on February 03, 2018, 05:12:12 pm
Who was our head coach........No

We lost the very next week to Mississippi State.
I was at that game as well as the TN game the week before. Arkansas had Miss St on the ropes twice in 4th Q. One play, it was on State's last drive and it was 4th and 20. They don't convert, game is over. Of course, they convert. A few plays later, they kick the winning FG. What did anyone expect then? We were Arkansas and we always lost that kind of game. 4th and 20. Let that sink in.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

HognitiveDissonance

They would have beat Miss St the following week, and also LSU to close the year.
They would have been undefeated going into Atlanta, but I think Tenn would have gotten them in the rematch.
I'm honest with my Hogs, there is no doubt Ark caught Tenn offguard in the first game. They went over to Knoxville and punched UT in the mouth early and got up 21-3. UT came back in the second half. I do think UT had a little more talent that year, and would have been fired up to play the rematch.

So, no national championship in 1998, in my opinion, but a fantastic season. Was still a very good season the way it actually transpired. 9-3 and Citrus Bowl.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: HoginMemphis on February 06, 2018, 05:05:08 am
I was at that game as well as the TN game the week before. Arkansas had Miss St on the ropes twice in 4th Q. One play, it was on State's last drive and it was 4th and 20. They don't convert, game is over. Of course, they convert. A few plays later, they kick the winning FG. What did anyone expect then? We were Arkansas and we always lost that kind of game. 4th and 20. Let that sink in.
I was at the Miss St game as well. Don't forget the controversial fumble forced by Kenoy Kennedy that was not given to the Hogs. That was a big play late in the game.

I remember watching the game winning kick by State. You can never see the angle too well at the stadium, but there are still some people who swear to this day that kick was no good. Apparently it sailed right over the top of the goalpost. It was that close. They gave it to him.

NoogaHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on February 06, 2018, 03:44:20 pm
They would have beat Miss St the following week, and also LSU to close the year.
They would have been undefeated going into Atlanta, but I think Tenn would have gotten them in the rematch.
I'm honest with my Hogs, there is no doubt Ark caught Tenn offguard in the first game. They went over to Knoxville and punched UT in the mouth early and got up 21-3. UT came back in the second half. I do think UT had a little more talent that year, and would have been fired up to play the rematch.

So, no national championship in 1998, in my opinion, but a fantastic season. Was still a very good season the way it actually transpired. 9-3 and Citrus Bowl.

I felt like a lot of games were like that with coach Nutt. Not the second half collapses like we saw with Coach B, but it would be like we got a head start but they were gaining on us. We were running, but they were running faster. Would they catch us before the clock ran out? If we won, it was because they ran out of clock. UT didn't run out of clock.
Слава Богу - Slava Bogu - "Glory to God"

HogFoo

Well, The Defense still had a chance to stop Tenner before they scored.  So, it's not at all to blame on Clint. Burls stepped on his foot, Clint put his hand down that had the ball, and it just came out.  They got it, then drove down what 50yards and had to score a TD tow in.    Now, of course, the air was let out of us after that, cuz I still don't know why Nutt wanted Clint to run around to drain the clock instead of just taking a knee.  One would think had Clint just took a Knee, we'd probably won.  Or if we tried to hand off to RB for no gain or whatever..    anyways..   yeah, the air let out of us after that. 

The thing is, if we beat MSU the next game, we play Tenner in the championship game for chance to play FSU for the NC!  But, our kicking game sucked.  Lattourette gets a dwi, gets suspended for the msu game, and we lose.  Of course that 3rd and 37 or whatever it was that Wayne Madkin makes, to keep their hope alive to win the game, still, I don't think he made that !   but they gave it to him anyways.      If we just could have beat MSU,  but obviously didn't, then we go into the Michigan game, I'm sure most were disappointed for a little.  and of course we just happen tobe playing the GOAT! 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

Snouty

No, Tom Brady mounted a come from behind win in the Citrus Bowl.  We were a solid team, just not a national champion.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Snouty on February 07, 2018, 04:16:42 pm
No, Tom Brady mounted a come from behind win in the Citrus Bowl.  We were a solid team, just not a national champion.
I was at the Citrus Bowl too. (I was at a lot of games in 1998 and 1999)
It was 24-10 Michigan.
Ark recovered a fumble and later stormed back to take a 31-24 lead.
Then Michigan stormed back and won 45-31.
Great game.

1highhog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on February 03, 2018, 04:47:57 pm
, and Florida State. AND that Mississippi State game more than likely.

We would have beaten Miss State.

ghostzapper

Quote from: EastArkHog 47 on February 03, 2018, 09:02:36 pm
Beating FSU would have been almost easy, beating Tenner again not so much.

Since we're playing what ifs here, what if Chris Weinke doesn't get hurt?  Nobody would have beaten FSU.

WMHawgfan

Even with the fumble and loss to TN we moved up in the rankings or didn't drop. We still could have played them again and had a shot if we didn't blow it against MS State.

Question there is if we didn't allow them to convert on 3rd and 18 at the end of the game do we go on to win it all? you can what if the hell out of this thing.