Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Frito Pie Ratio - serious question....

Started by twistitup, October 11, 2017, 08:29:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

Just made a killer Frito Pie, but felt like I was a little light on the Fritos.

In your opinion, what is the correct ratio? I was about 40% Fritos and 50% Chili / 5% cheese / 5% raw onion.

I wish CBB would give his opinion, bet the guy is a Frito Pie guru

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

David†

twistitup

Quote from: David† on October 11, 2017, 08:30:34 pm
You gots to have the cheese.

edited - added cheese

frito pie w/o cheese isn't a frito pie at all

David†

Could make a complete new thread, but chili with or without beans?

twistitup

Quote from: David† on October 11, 2017, 08:33:18 pm

I'm not a beans fan. I also like my onions finely chopped...sharp cheddar - small fritos (not dip size)

Boardon Hamsay

Here's what you do. Stay at around 30-40% Fritos mixed in with the chili. Then add additional Fritos as you enjoy so that you get a mix of the soaked Frito goodness as well as the crispy, crunchy freshness of the added Fritos.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

The OTR

You got it all wrong.  Surprising because I consider you more of an authority on food than most. 

44%Fritos. 36% chili.  18% cheese.  2% onion, jalapeños, and Louisiana hot sauce according to taste. 

That's frito pie 101.

Hawgphish

I go 50-50 frito to chili ratio.  Another overlooked component on frito pie night is beverage.  May i ask what your accompanying beverage was?

David†

Yes to more cheese!! And I like the crunchy Fritos idea too

PorkRinds

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 11, 2017, 08:34:51 pm
Here's what you do. Stay at around 30-40% Fritos mixed in with the chili. Then add additional Fritos as you enjoy so that you get a mix of the soaked Frito goodness as well as the crispy, crunchy freshness of the added Fritos.

This is a man that knows his darn.

twistitup

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 11, 2017, 08:35:21 pm
You got it all wrong.  Surprising because I consider you more of an authority on food than most. 

44%Fritos. 36% chili.  18% cheese.  2% onion, jalapeños, and Louisiana hot sauce according to taste. 

That's frito pie 101.

A guy the other day really did it different.....big scoop Fritos made like nachos w a little chili, onion, and cheese on EACH Frito....

Blew my damn mind

Boardon Hamsay

P.S. I don't believe there is a max % for cheese. Cheese should be distributed based on personal taste, personal binding experience with cheese, and/or personal risk reward of knowing that Frito Pie goodness could plug you up pretty darn good.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

David†

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 11, 2017, 08:39:19 pm
P.S. I don't believe there is a max % for cheese. Cheese should be distributed based on personal taste, personal binding experience with cheese, and/or personal risk reward of knowing that Frito Pie goodness could plug you up pretty darn good.

That's the beauty of Frito pie. It's has the clogging power of cheese and the loosening effect of the chili. So it balances out

snoblind

Quote from: David† on October 11, 2017, 08:33:18 pm

Geez, it's not chili when beans are added.  That's bean soup.

I like to go with 55-60% Chili.  Used to be a cheddar cheese only fan, but some of those shredded mixes are good.  Jalapenos on the side.  Agree on the onions.   

twistitup

PorkRinds

I always hit mine with a serious dose of hot sauce or some jalapeños. If I'm ballsy, I do both. Only when I crush up a nexium and snort it first though.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: David† on October 11, 2017, 08:41:23 pm
That's the beauty of Frito pie. It's has the clogging power of cheese and the loosening effect of the chili. So it balances out

''Tis all relative to the individual which is why I do emphasize knowing your personal cheese intake levels. For you and me, the chili may turn our colons into a digestive system slip n slide thereby raising our cheese allocation levels. For others, a tablespoon of shredded cheddar could result in some poor schmuck's man can looking like the aftermath of a Jean Claude Van Damme action scene! I can't consciously direct someone towards cheese percents that will result in them biting down on their wallet in shear terrored agony while trying to crown out their next deuce. I can't have a Jim in El Dorado trying to make a gaff out of an old wire coat hanger to assist in his next deuce exit strategy. I can't have a Billy in Searcy ripping the handicapped rails out of the walls of his work can one morning after a 6 pot of coffee and a carton of Pall Malls binge to end a 18 day deuce dry spell driven by overzealous cheesing. For god's sake man, let's not unnecessarily cause some poor guy to blow out his own o-ring! #cheeseresponsibly

Hawgphish

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on October 11, 2017, 08:59:38 pm
''Tis all relative to the individual which is why I do emphasize knowing your personal cheese intake levels. For you and me, the chili may turn our colons into a digestive system slip n slide thereby raising our cheese allocation levels. For others, a tablespoon of shredded cheddar could result in some poor schmuck's man can looking like the aftermath of a Jean Claude Van Damme action scene! I can't consciously direct someone towards cheese percents that will result in them biting down on their wallet in shear terrored agony while trying to crown out their next deuce. I can't have a Jim in El Dorado trying to make a gaff out of an old wire coat hanger to assist in his next deuce exit strategy. I can't have a Billy in Searcy ripping the handicapped rails out of the walls of his work can one morning after a 6 pot of coffee binge to end a 18 day deuce dry spell driven by overzealous cheesing. For god's sake man, let's not unnecessarily cause some poor guy to blow out his own o-ring! #cheeseresponsibly
sheer brilliance

David†

PorkSoda

Quote from: twistitup on October 11, 2017, 08:34:31 pm
I'm not a beans fan. I also like my onions finely chopped...sharp cheddar - small fritos (not dip size)
with beans unless its green chili, then without.  I like chucky chopped onions and heavy on the onions.  ie more like pico than finely diced.  Jack cheese, small fritos, cilantro, avo, sour cream.  a little lettuce and tomato doesn't hurt either.

I like your ratio though.  40% Fritos 60% chili and toppings or even moreso on the toppings.  cant stand not having enough topping to smother every last frito.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

DeltaBoy

October 12, 2017, 11:30:09 am #20 Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:18:14 pm by DeltaBoy
I make it  the Lunch sized bag  With a cup of Chili and a table spoon of chopped onions and a half cup of grated cheese.   Washed down with some Texas XXX rootbeer.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.