Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mizzou Football Recruiting

Started by jbcarol, February 05, 2016, 06:33:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue-Chip

January 11, 2024, 02:39:23 pm #450 Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 09:41:04 am by Blue-Chip
Agreed... getting the right fit DC is the biggy now. 

mizzouman

Quote from: Blue-Chip on January 11, 2024, 02:39:23 pmAgreed... getting the right fit DC is the biggy now. 
I would rather have lost Baker than Moore though.
I think Moore is pretty dang good!
Moore is good but will get better.  He's young and gaining a lot of experience.  But a lot of that has to do with players.  He's good at not so much wanting to run his exact offense but to run an offense that fits the personnel.

Blue-Chip

Yep, maybe the Georgia Tech Transfer will hit the holes like Schrader. I loved that full speed, down hill, right now, offense. Actually I think I watch tape showing he does.  Mizzou has 10 transfers so far, but there are some great pickups there OT, EDGE, CB..

TheGrove68

I'm conflicted on whether I'd desire to retain Blake Baker more or retain Kirby Moore. But I think I'd rather lose Moore as OC there are a lot of Offensive guys who run a similar scheme and they are plentiful and if we keep our position coaches I think their is a better chance of success hiring a OC than a DC.

Defense in this day and age is a much harder endeavor to get right IMO than the Offense. The Fired LSU DC is exhibit A on that accord. He was a Great one in 2022 and fired the Next year.

I know at Mizzou it seems like we have had harder times finding a Great DC than a OC.  Eberflus was up and down and had issues with continued blown coverages etc. Steck his Replacement was Solid and seemed to be a good one. Odom's one year running Stecks scheme was really good. Then Odom Blew that with the hiring of Mason and then pretty Average Walters. Drink went with Walters but clearly wanted better and got Wilks a huge bust before getting Blake Baker a great fit.

During that Time frame OC wise Christian was Real Good went to be a College HC, his replacement Yost was Very Solid, and Henson did a good job as well. Even Odom hit gold by bringing in Josh Heupel as the OC before he really showed his lack of analysis skills and Whiffed with Derek Dooley. Yikes...

So I do think it's harder to find a Good Solid DC than a OC. But I might be wrong.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

jbcarol

2025 5-star OT Michael Fasusi to visit three schools in January

by:
Hunter Shelton

QuoteLewisville (Texas) five-star offensive tackle Michael Fasusi already had nearly 40 Division I offers as of last July. The 6-foot-4.5, 300-pounder is being courted by the who's who of college football.

As he gears up for the next chapter in his recruitment, Fasusi has set three visits to round out the first month of the new year. He announced on Friday night that he will visit Texas A&M this weekend, then take trips to Missouri (Jan. 20) and Oregon (Jan. 27).

The in-state Aggies are first up as Mike Elko and the new staff in College Station look to make an impression on one of the best in the 2025 class. Fasusi took a pair of visits to A&M in early 2023.

Drink and Mizzou will then try to insert themselves into the mix next weekend. The Tigers are currently without a commitment in the 2025 cycle, but are the back end of finalizing a top-25 recruiting class in 2024 — which features Lee's Summit (Mo.) North Five-Star Plus+ EDGE Williams Nwaneri, the No. 2 overall prospect...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Blue-Chip

Five Star Offensive Tackles don't come by very often..  Who's gonna win him over?
A&M up first, Mizzou on deck, & Oregon for the closer.
Maybe Arkansas can get him in a few years. Enos & Kennedy recruited him.   

TheGrove68

I'd bet money on A&M then Oregon. If it's Mizzou it would be a huge Hail Mary.

jbcarol

Former Alabama DL Isaiah Hastings flips transfer commitment from Mizzou to ACC program
Andrew Olson | 3 minutes ago

QuoteFormer Alabama defensive lineman Isaiah Hastings verbally committed to transfer to Mizzou last week, but his plans have changed.

Hastings posted on Monday that he has decommitted from the Tigers. He thanked the Mizzou coaching staff for recruiting him, specifically Drink and Kevin Peoples.

About 35 minutes later, Hastings announced a transfer commitment to Syracuse.

Let's get it! 🍊
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jarod
@jarodchamilton
Newcomer Profile: Courtney Crutchfield

One of two 4-⭐️ signees for #Mizzou in the class of 2024, Crutchfield's size, speed, hands and more could lead to a prominent role in the Tigers' offense one day.

jbcarol

Blue-Chip

What do you think about that 2024 Class? Little bit light on the 4-5 stars?

Ironhawg

Did you guys see this?  I heard speculation on the radio that the donor was one of the Waltons.

https://kwos.com/2024/02/mizzous-drinkwitz-choi-praise-62-million-donation-for-mizzou-athletics/

jbcarol

4-star CB Charles Bass has locked in eight spring visits
by:
Chad Simmons

QuoteEast St. Louis (Mo.) cornerback Charles Bass is about to hit the road.

Bass has lined up visits to Arkansas (March 7), Missouri (March 16), LSU (March 28), Tennessee (April 1), Cincinnati (April 10), Illinois (April 12), Nebraska (April 13) and Kansas (April 18).

He mentioned that he is still working on locking in visits to Colorado, Michigan and Michigan State this spring. Bass is part of the California Power 7-on-7 program and he will visits schools with them as well in the coming months. Alabama, Georgia and Georgia Tech are already on the calendar for March.

"I will go where I feel most at home," Bass told On3 earlier this year. "I also want to go where I will be developed on and off the field. My trust in the coaches is important. The connection with the people will be a factor too."

Missouri is working hard to keep Bass home
Bass was at the LSU game early last season before returning to Columbia in January. The staff has been as consistent with Bass as any staff that is recruiting him. And that has paid off.

"The main things that keep me going back are the coaches and the relationship that I have built with the staff," Bass told On3 after that visit.

"I got to spend time with every coach and staff member today. I had some time with Coach Al Pogue. Me and Coach Drink got more time together too. A lot of the coaches kept walking up to me letting me know they were glad I made it down."

The No. 7 prospect in the Show Me State is not ready to name the Tigers his leader, but they are somewhere toward the top of his list.

jbcarol

DL Juju Marks locks in Missouri official visit

by:
Collin Ginnan

QuoteA one-time Missouri commit will take an official visit to Columbia this summer, he announced on social media.

Overland Park (Kan.) St. Thomas Aquinas four-star defensive lineman Juju Marks committed to Missouri after the Tigers' walk-off win over Kansas State in September. He decommitted the next month.

"These past few weeks I've been doing a lot of thinking about my future college world," Marks wrote. "I truly am blessed to have so many opportunities. But with that I feel like I rushed the process and didn't really take my time to explore. I love Mizzou and everyone there. But with that being said I will be decommitting from Mizzou and re-opening my recruitment with Mizzou remaining as a top option. I hope everyone can respect my decision."

That "top option" will now receive an official visit from Marks from May 31-June 2.

Locked in🔒

Defensive line recruiting in the 2024 class
Drink's staff in Columbia pulled in a number of stars along the defensive line in the 2024 cycle. Signees included Lee's Summit (Mo.) North Five-Star Plus+ EDGE Williams Nwaneri, Hudson (Fla.) four-star defensive lineman Elias Williams and Madison (Ala.) James Clemens four-star EDGE Jaylen Brown.

Nwaneri headlined a Missouri class that ranked inside the top 25 nationally:

"What made me feel good about Missouri was comfortability, relationships with the coaching staff and the people there," Nwaneri told On3.

jbcarol

4-star WR Emmanuel Choice sets official visits to Missouri, Oklahoma

by:
Hunter Shelton

QuoteLancaster (Texas) four-star wide receiver Emmanuel Choice continues to emerge as one of the fastest rising wideouts in The Lone Star State.

With the spring recruiting period beginning, the 6-foot-4, 190-pounder is beginning to see things take shape in his recruitment, as official visits are being locked in. On Wednesday, Choice confirmed that he will take OVs to Missouri (June 7) and Oklahoma (June 21).

Choice was in Norman for a Junior Day visit with the Sooners in January. Oklahoma was his first Division I offer, as the new SEC program did so last May. Mizzou is now set to welcome Choice to The Show-Me State this summer as Drink and Co. continue to try and build on recruiting momentum from last cycle.

Earlier this month, Choice named his top 10 schools. Joining Mizzou and Oklahoma were USC, Nebraska, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, TCU, Texas, Clemson and Georgia Tech.

Tigers, Sooners gearing up for another @Blue-Chip recruiting battle

jbcarol

By landing Drew Pyne, Missouri accomplished 2 important goals
Spenser Davis | 1 minute ago

QuoteMissouri landed a late transfer in the form of ex-Arizona State and Notre Dame quarterback Drew Pyne on Sunday.

Pyne, who has been enrolled at Notre Dame as a regular student this spring, is expected to join Mizzou's football program this summer. He told ESPN's Pete Thamel he committed to Missouri while on a visit this weekend:

NEWS: Former Arizona State and Notre Dame quarterback Drew Pyne tells ESPN that he's committed to Missouri. Pyne took a visit this weekend and said he committed while in Columbia. He'll enroll this summer and have three years of eligibility remaining.

jbcarol

Class of 2025 WR Eugene Hilton names Top 7

by:
Hayes Fawcett

QuoteClass of 2025 wide receiver Eugene Hilton of Zionsville (IN) High narrowed his list to 7 schools Sunday afternoon.

6-foot-2, 195 pounder is down to the following: Missouri, Ole Miss, Georgia, Wisconsin, Kansas, Purdue, and Miami.

Breaking down the finalists
Hilton spoke with On3 about what stood out with each school

Mizzou:

"They have a very dynamic offense and great atmosphere."

Ole Miss:

"The tradition they have there is nice and they have an explosive offense with a great coaching staff."

Georgia

"Great program overall from top to bottom, and I have an amazing relationship with the WR coach."

jbcarol

LB Dawson Merritt announces his Top 10 schools

by:
Chad Simmons

QuoteOverland Park (Kan.) Blue Valley linebacker Dawson Merritt has over two dozen offers, but after taking multiple visits in the fall, a couple in January and one in March, the four-star has trimmed his list to 10 schools.

Alabama, Florida State, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Ole Miss, Texas A&M and USC made the cut.

"I am not going to rush things, but I would like to be committed before my first game," Merritt told On3

Before Merritt can get to that point, he needs to take visits. The 6-foot-3, 205-pound defender has a busy March and April coming up. He visited Missouri on March 6 and visits to Ole Miss on March 21 and Alabama on March 23 are still to come this month. Then he heads to Oklahoma on April 8 and Nebraska on April 13.

Nebraska and Oklahoma will get official visits from Merritt
Missouri: "Everyone at Missouri really feels like family. When I went there, I was one of the only recruits and they treated me like family which just really showed me how much they value me. I had a great time. My mom loved it too. I have good relationships with Coach DJ Smith and Maurey Bland."

jbcarol

Thatcher sets Missouri official visit

by:
Collin Ginnan

QuoteMissouri will receive an official visit from one of Nevada's top prospects this summer.

Las Vegas Arbor View four-star linebacker Christian Thatcher will take an official visit to Missouri from June 21-23.

6-foot-2, 200-pound Thatcher also has OVs scheduled for Utah (June 8) and Kansas (June 14). Back in January, he took an unofficial visit to USC.

Thatcher is the nation's No. 321 overall prospect, No. 35 linebacker and No. 5 recruit from Nevada in the 2025 cycle

jbcarol

Hopson sets Missouri official visit

by:
Hunter Shelton

QuoteMissouri is set to welcome one of the top prospects in the Magnolia State to Columbia for an official visit this summer.

On Monday, Horn Lake (Miss.) Lake Cormorant four-star linebacker Jarcoby Hopson announced via social media that he will take an OV to see the Tigers from May 31-June 1.

Official 🐯

jbcarol

Zollers sets spring commitment date

by:
Collin Ginnan

QuoteRoyersford (Pa.) Spring-Ford four-star quarterback Matt Zollers will be announcing his college commitment.

Zollers told On3 Director of Recruiting Chad Simmons earlier this week that he has lined up four visits within the next couple of weeks. Destinations include Missouri (March 20), Pittsburgh (March 28), Penn State (March 29) and Georgia (April 2).

Now, he tells Simmons that he will announce his college decision on April 4.

"April 4 is not a special day," Zollers told On3. "I was just going to take the day after the visits to sit down and discuss with my family about what is best."

jbcarol

Missouri in 'good position' for elite QB Matt Zollers, Georgia continues to battle

by: Collin Ginnan

QuoteOne of the nation's top quarterbacks is nearly ready to announce his college decision. Royersford (Pa.) Spring-Ford four-star quarterback Matt Zollers will announce his decision on April 4 following the culmination of a handful of spring visits to programs around the country.

Zollers has recently visited Missouri (March 20), Pittsburgh (March 28), Penn State (March 29) and Alabama (April 1) and will take a visit to Georgia on Tuesday. On3's Chad Simmons and Steve Wiltfong broke down Zollers' recruitment on Monday.

"He is ready. He's been a guy that, at least to me, he wants to get this done as soon as he can," Simmons said.

Despite the home-state connections with Pitt and Penn State, it appears that Missouri and Georgia will continue to battle to the end of this recruitment.

"I think right now going into these final visits that he took — he still has Georgia — he's just fresh off Penn State, fresh off Pitt where his older brother is a walk-on defensive lineman. But he was at Missouri roughly two weeks ago, that was a return trip," Wiltfong said. "People aren't talking about Eli Drinkwitz and this staff's position enough. Kirby Moore, he's really clicked with that coaching staff. Loves the offense, loves the trajectory of the program, finished in the top 10 this past year and has a good chance to play in the College Football Playoff this coming season. He just has a great time when he's in Columbia.

"I think based on the intel that I'm hearing right now, that he's likely SEC-bound. So I think you're looking at Missouri and you're looking at Georgia — unless this recent visit to Alabama, as they have tried to come into the picture here late as that new staff tries to figure out their 2025 quarterback situation, unless they made a major move.

"I think it's up to Georgia — Missouri really showed him everything," Wiltfong continued.

jbcarol

QB Matt Zollers commits to Missouri

by: Chad Simmons

QuoteRoyersford (Pa.) Spring-Ford four-star quarterback Matt Zollers has committed to Missouri, he announced on Thursday afternoon.

He chose the Tigers over Georgia, Penn State and Pittsburgh.

"My connections at Missouri were just greater than they were anywhere else," Zollers told On3. "This was a really tough decision for me to make. I Ultimately decided this morning."

Zollers is the No. 46 overall prospect and No. 5 QB in the 2025 cycle. He's also the top-ranked player in Pennsylvania.

On3 ranks Zollers higher than other recruiting services. He checks in at No. 17 overall and is the No. 3 signal-caller in the updated 2025 On300.

Tigers made a major push down the stretch for the 6-foot-3.5, 200-pounder. He was in Columbia on March 20 and has built significant relationships with Kirby Moore and Drink.

TheGrove68

That is for sure having Quality QB's on the roster is a must to winning games and adding another is real sweet.

jbcarol

Missouri working to build around elite QB commit Matt Zollers

by: Steve Wiltfong

QuoteMissouri landed a commitment from one of the nation's top quarterbacks in the country on Thursday when Royersford (Pa.) Spring-Ford On300 passer Matt Zollers announced his pledge to the Tigers, choosing to play for Drink and his coaching staff over his other finalists in Georgia, Penn State and Pittsburgh.

6-foot-3.5, 200-pound Zollers is a terrific dual-threat player, a strong-armed yet accurate passer with exciting growth potential. He has the traits to be one of the best signal-callers in college football and is tabbed by On3 as the No. 3 quarterback in the class and No. 17 prospect overall.

Building along the offense line
Zollers is also the type of player they can build a great class around. Lewisville (Texas) High five-star offensive tackle Michael Fasusi certainly took notice.

"I was like if I'm going to go here I need a quarterback to go with me," Fasusi said.

Mizzou has already been a top contender for Fasusi as they battle the likes of USC, Oregon, Texas, Texas A&M, Georgia and Oklahoma.

"No. 1 I got to say the relationship with Coach (Brandon) Jones, Coach Drink, I think it's at an all-time level high," Fasusi said.

Blue-Chip

Missouri might have the highest average player rating...  1 commit ~ 95. Not far behind Arkansas, 3 commits @ 57, with 87 avg. If Mizzou lands a few, who've been on campus, you'll bump up quickly.

jbcarol

Missouri trending with Simms

New QBU :hmmm:

by: Keegan Pope

QuoteSt. Louis (Mo.) Christian Brothers College four-star wide receiver Corey Simms recently narrowed his list of more than 30 offers down to a 12 schools.

"These schools made the cut because of their consistency, how transparent they have been, how and where I fit into the program and how they have prioritized me," Simms told On3's Chad Simmons.

Arkansas, Georgia, Kansas, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, Ole Miss, Penn State, Tennessee and USC made the cut, but there's one team trending in the On3 Recruiting Recruiting Prediction Machine (RPM) as it stands today. And that's the in-state Tigers.

jbcarol

TE Andrew Olesh announces top eight schools

by: Chad Simmons

QuoteCenter Valley (Penn.) Southern Lehigh four-star tight end Andrew Olesh holds offers from nearly 30 programs. He will be focusing on eight of them going forward.

Olesh has announced Alabama, Florida, Florida State, Michigan, Missouri, Ole Miss, Penn State and Pittsburgh as his top schools. 6-foot-5, 215-pound recruit has seen each of his finalists except for the Tigers, but plans to take an unofficial visit to Columbia later this month.

jbcarol

@mzenitz
Marshall cornerback transfer Dyoni Hill, who is currently visiting Indiana, is also set to visit Missouri, Miami, Cincinnati and West Virginia, sources tell @247Sports.

@chris_hummer and I mentioned him yesterday in our rundown of under-the-radar transfers generating buzz: https://247sports.com/article/college-football-transfer-portal-20-under-the-radar-players-to-know-in-2024s-spring-window-230642363

jbcarol

2025 DL Jason Dowell commits to Missouri Tigers

by:
Keegan Pope

QuoteBelleville (Ill.) Althoff Catholic three-star defensive lineman Jason Dowell has committed to Missouri, he announced on Friday.

Dowell chose the Tigers over offers from Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, and a number of other programs.

The 6-foot-4, 285-pounder is the No. 530 overall prospect in the 2025 class