Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Great Article on UK/Gillispie by Pat Forde

Started by WilsonHog, March 27, 2009, 08:03:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Lard

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

donewithdale

I'm sure Mr Louisville enjoyed writing that.

Its interesting to look back and think that our PTB and Frank were talking through channels to BG before Stan and Tubby were ever fired.  Not saying change wasn't necessary at both places.  This just feels like karma for everybody though - UK, UA and Billy G.  And also to think how fortunate we were that Long connected with Petrino as our decision makers, and that includes the behind the scenes money, obviously are on a bad streak when it comes to picking coaches. 

RedSatinHog

The article referenced in the latter part of the story you posted is equally as entertaining.  Both were great, and interesting reads.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

Dwight_K_Shrute

Not enough blame goes to ADs when things fail this miserably.  It was good to see Forde point that out.  This wasn't a bad hire it was a terrible hire, mainly because Barnhart failed to do due dilligence.  They should show him the door right after they had BCG his $6mil check.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hawgsav1

I've read both stories (and am one of the few folks that actually enjoys Pat Forde), and while it was obvious from the start that something was amiss with the savior of Big Blue, I'm not sure if Big Blue was really mistaken in trying to hire him. 

Gillispie had a record of turning programs around, and while he hadn't coached at that "elite" NCAA tournament level, what he had done at TAMU and UTEP was quite solid.  However, something didn't feel right about the fit.  His personality perhaps?  And after losing out on every high profile coach they tried to get, they had to get someone, and Gillispie seemed like he was the best guy left for the job. 
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb