Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anderson....Just Curious....

Started by Hot_Town_Hog, March 26, 2009, 11:15:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hot_Town_Hog

Isn't this his 3rd year at Mizzou? What was their record the last two years?

Razorbacks_77

Would like to know this as well. Also how many of these players that just beat Memphis are seniors?

cluelessgdog

Say what you wanna about mike anderson- he's flat out been successful since he left ark. Too bad we cant say the same!

The Boar War

Quote from: Razorbacks_77 on March 26, 2009, 11:17:51 pm
Would like to know this as well. Also how many of these players that just beat Memphis are seniors?

Not sure how many seniors they had.  We had six on the team that got it's butt handed to it in the second round of last years tournament.

You guys can hate on Mike all you want.  It doesn't make Pelphrey a better coach.

vandybuff

What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

Razorbacks_77

Quote from: The Boar War on March 26, 2009, 11:23:24 pm
Not sure how many seniors they had.  We had six on the team that got it's butt handed to it in the second round of last years tournament.

You guys can hate on Mike all you want.  It doesn't make Pelphrey a better coach.
Not hating, just being curious. Not sure how in the world that came across as "hating". Thanks for the link vandy.

Hot_Town_Hog

Far from hating, just being objective. I am very happy for Mike, but not ready to crown him the greatest ever just yet.

vandybuff

Quote from: Razorbacks_77 on March 26, 2009, 11:28:03 pm
Not hating, just being curious. Not sure how in the world that came across as "hating". Thanks for the link vandy.
Gladly!  btw, whether Mike Anderson is the greatest or never wins again, he surely is doing something correctly at this moment in time.  I did not think they could beat Memphis.  Congrats to Mizzou.
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

N HOG

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on March 26, 2009, 11:38:27 pm
Far from hating, just being objective. I am very happy for Mike, but not ready to crown him the greatest ever just yet.

Give it up.

He is 31-6 and in the Elite Eight.

We can only watch from afar.

jjones

Quote from: cluelessgdog on March 26, 2009, 11:23:09 pm
Say what you wanna about mike anderson- he's flat out been successful since he left ark. Too bad we cant say the same!

Since the departure of Anderson at the U of A.

Arkansas                                                                    Anderson

2009     14-16                                                                        31-6    Elite 8 or beyond
2008     23-12  2nd round                                                        16-16
2007     21-13  1st round                                                         18-12
2006     22-10  1st round                                                         24-7    1st round
2005     18-12                                                                        22-11  2nd round
2004     12-16                                                                        22-10  Sweet 16
2003      9-19                                                                         21-13  NIT

119-98  (0.548)                                                            154-75 (0.672)

Yeah it is too bad we can't say the same!

Hot_Town_Hog

7 other teams will be in the elite 8 too....Even Stanley made an elite 8 while we watched from home.

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: jjones on March 26, 2009, 11:56:46 pm
Since the departure of Anderson at the U of A.

Arkansas                                                                    Anderson

2009     14-16                                                                        31-6    Elite 8 or beyond
2008     23-12  2nd round                                                        16-16
2007     21-13  1st round                                                         18-12
2006     22-10  1st round                                                         24-7    1st round
2005     18-12                                                                        22-11  2nd round
2004     12-16                                                                        22-10  Sweet 16
2003      9-19                                                                         21-13  NIT

119-98  (0.548)                                                            154-75 (0.672)

Yeah it is too bad we can't say the same!

Classic apples and oranges comparison....The trainwreck that hit our Program when Nolan left was devastating.

I like Mike, but this is insane. Comparing things like this when keeping Mike as the Coach following Nolan's blowup was so far from a possibility it's not even thinkable.

N HOG

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on March 27, 2009, 12:04:07 am
Classic apples and oranges comparison....The trainwreck that hit our Program when Nolan left was devastating.

I like Mike, but this is insane. Comparing things like this when keeping Mike as the Coach following Nolan's blowup was so far from a possibility it's not even thinkable.

Okay. How about this comparison -- the numbers on the right are at freakin' UAB and Mizzou.

The numbers on the left are at what USED TO BE one of the greatest college basketball programs in the nation.

The Boar War

Quote from: Razorbacks_77 on March 26, 2009, 11:28:03 pm

Sorry about that.  I misunderstood your question.  There are some posters who will use Mizzou's senior players as a strike against Mike Anderson.

jjones

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on March 27, 2009, 12:04:07 am

I'm not saying that keeping Mike was the answer then, but hiring Stan Heath was a huge mistake.  I did not want Heath and that big 10 slow-paced style from the beginning.  We should have either gone after a young coach with a similar style of uptempo play or hired a big name coach.

Then we hire Pelphrey, who isn't even the most experienced coach in the state.  Hell, ASU hired a coach that has been to the final four. 

I want to see a fast paced game.  Watching Mizzou/Memphis tonite is the first time I've felt alive with college basketball since the 90's. 

Hot_Town_Hog

Not sure Phil Jackson would have done any better in 03 and 04. The program was in real trouble. Matter of fact, had Mike somehow been hired then, it might not have turned out to well considering we were destined to fail for a couple of years.

Razorbacks_77

Quote from: The Boar War on March 27, 2009, 12:11:57 am
Sorry about that.  I misunderstood your question.  There are some posters who will use Mizzou's senior players as a strike against Mike Anderson.
No worries. It's cool.

Jim Harris

Quote from: Hot_Town_Hog on March 27, 2009, 12:15:34 am
Not sure Phil Jackson would have done any better in 03 and 04. The program was in real trouble. Matter of fact, had Mike somehow been hired then, it might not have turned out to well considering we were destined to fail for a couple of years.

I'm certain that Phil Jackson would have done better in 03 and 04. Phil Jackson would have done better in 09 as well.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

donewithdale

Quote from: jjones on March 27, 2009, 12:15:08 am
I'm not saying that keeping Mike was the answer then, but hiring Stan Heath was a huge mistake.  I did not want Heath and that big 10 slow-paced style from the beginning.  We should have either gone after a young coach with a similar style of uptempo play or hired a big name coach.

Then we hire Pelphrey, who isn't even the most experienced coach in the state.  Hell, ASU hired a coach that has been to the final four. 

I want to see a fast paced game.  Watching Mizzou/Memphis tonite is the first time I've felt alive with college basketball since the 90's.

If Pelphrey can get his type of players, which I have serious doubts, you will see a fast paced game similar to Mizzou, Louisville and Florida.  I didn't say that level of success but a similar style at least.

And Stan wasn't a typical Big 10 coach.  That was a stereotype put on him by our fans.  Purdue, Wisconsin, Penn St, ... those are typical Big 10 styles.  He wanted to play up tempo and his first plan was to do so with Olu being our version of Mich St's Jason Richardson.  The knee injury changed that.  Stan also couldn't recruit that consistent shooter that would have allowed us to score consistently, keep opponents out of zones and we could have dictated tempo better.  If he would have been allowed to stay, Weems would have served as that finisher and Beverley could have been that guard.  But another Stan problem was he recruited talented big men but he didn't develop them well especially as rebounders which it was absolutely necessary to dominate the boards to play the style he wanted to play. 

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: donewithdale on March 27, 2009, 01:02:18 am
If Pelphrey can get his type of players, which I have serious doubts, you will see a fast paced game similar to Mizzou, Louisville and Florida.  I didn't say that level of success but a similar style at least.

And Stan wasn't a typical Big 10 coach.  That was a stereotype put on him by our fans.  Purdue, Wisconsin, Penn St, ... those are typical Big 10 styles.  He wanted to play up tempo and his first plan was to do so with Olu being our version of Mich St's Jason Richardson.  The knee injury changed that.  Stan also couldn't recruit that consistent shooter that would have allowed us to score consistently, keep opponents out of zones and we could have dictated tempo better.  If he would have been allowed to stay, Weems would have served as that finisher and Beverley could have been that guard.  But another Stan problem was he recruited talented big men but he didn't develop them well especially as rebounders which it was absolutely necessary to dominate the boards to play the style he wanted to play.

I guess I'm the only one that remembers clearly, but Stan Heath was far from bad for Arkansas. The style of ball wasn't the most exciting, but he won a lot of ball games his last three years, and rebuilt the program from the ground up. It was a dark time for whoever stepped in after Nolan.

I don't think he was the answer for us necessarily, but I can safely say that he was better than what we ended up with. I really hope that we pursued BCG after we fired him, because if we fired SH because he underperformed or something and ended up with our current coach...that looks really bad now.

donewithdale

Quote from: jamie72921 on March 27, 2009, 09:36:59 am
Another poor analysis.

What does every good up tempo team HAVE to have that Heath NEVER had here and wasn't going to have?

A solid point guard.

Heath was never going to get that done. Ever.

Well jackass, I was going to point that out but when I thought about it, Stan actually did have a PG.  He just sucked at developing players and implementing a system for them to succeed.  We are seeing the potential Dontell had now.  He was a 6-4 guard who could defend and maybe could have been a good college PG if Heath had any movement to his offense whatsoever. 

And the good thing about Hogville is post history is here for you to look up.  I've posted many times one of Stan's greatest shortcomings was at PG.

3BoarsDown

It's just not right having to watch Mike have this sucess at other places. If he ends up at UGA, I'm going to be physically ill.

I just can't get excited about the future of Arkansas basketball, we are so far from where Mizzou is its not even funny I don't care how old our players are.

RedSatinHog

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 27, 2009, 01:42:13 am
I guess I'm the only one that remembers clearly, but Stan Heath was far from bad for Arkansas. The style of ball wasn't the most exciting, but he won a lot of ball games his last three years, and rebuilt the program from the ground up. It was a dark time for whoever stepped in after Nolan.

I don't think he was the answer for us necessarily, but I can safely say that he was better than what we ended up with. I really hope that we pursued BCG after we fired him, because if we fired SH because he underperformed or something and ended up with our current coach...that looks really bad now.

Nobody believed any of that when the team was struggling mightily during the first 3 seasons.  Heck, his third year team practically quit on him during the SEC tourney.

And when I look at the "success" he's now having in a talent-rich state like Florida, I cannot help but believe that we did the right thing by making a change, and I actually liked Stan Heath.  I just didn't think he was the right person for the job.  I still don't.

Razorback fans as a whole are just not patient.  It's a monster which rears its ugly head repeatedly.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

RedSatinHog

Quote from: 3BoarsDown on March 27, 2009, 09:43:08 am
It's just not right having to watch Mike have this sucess at other places. If he ends up at UGA, I'm going to be physically ill.

I just can't get excited about the future of Arkansas basketball, we are so far from where Mizzou is its not even funny I don't care how old our players are.

IMHO, the UGA job would be a career killer for Anderson.  Yeah, they're in an area of the country which produces solid BB talent, but they also sit in the heart of ACC recruiting.  UNC, Duke, WF and just about every other top ACC program only has to compete with Kentucky for top talent in that area.  UGA has just struggled to keep the talent in-state.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd