Previous topic - Next topic

What are the chances Calapari is the next head coach at Kentucky

10% or less
25%
50%
75% or more
Hope not

olivebranchhog

I say its 75 or more. But, I'm stuck in the Hope not category.
Sometimes it takes a loss to make us realize what's really important

WilsonHog

I wouldn't want to put a percentage on it, but I would say this. If Cal doesn't take Kentucky's offer now it's a safe bet he'll be in Memphis until someone starts humming "Nearer my God to Thee" over his casket. 

Oliver

I'm in the 75% or More AND Hope Not Category.  Jeez, there is already a chance that Mike Anderson and Anthony Grant come to the SEC this offseason.  I don't want John Calipari leaving us further behind.

The Hogfather

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 26, 2009, 01:16:27 pm
I wouldn't want to put a percentage on it, but I would say this. If Cal doesn't take Kentucky's offer now it's a safe bet he'll be in Memphis until someone starts humming "Nearer my God to Thee" over his casket. 

I wouldn't leave if I was him.  He has a very sweet gig at Memphis.  Beat 25 bad/average teams a year, win a couple against tournament teams, get a inflated seed that allows you a fairly easy road to at least the Sweet 16 every year, get paid a lot of money, and play in an NBA arena.

I'd stay at Mumphiss.

WilsonHog

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2009, 01:21:59 pm
I wouldn't leave if I was him.  He has a very sweet gig at Memphis.  Beat 25 bad/average teams a year, win a couple against tournament teams, get a inflated seed that allows you a fairly easy road to at least the Sweet 16 every year, get paid a lot of money, and play in an NBA arena.

I'd stay at Mumphiss.

But as great a gig as the Memphis job is right now, it ain't ever going to be Kentucky.   

Oliver

Quote from: The Hogfather on March 26, 2009, 01:21:59 pm

I'd stay at Mumphiss.

Hell, if I was Memphis, I'd let Calipari walk to Kentucky and hire one of those 30 to 40 coaches (not named Self, Krzyzewski, Dixon, Calhoun, Boeheim,  Capel, Barnes, Williams, Jay Wright, Donovan, or Pitino) that could also win 30 games per year for a LOT less money.

Kevin

none, they want somebody who understand uk basketball

donovan then ford
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

WilsonHog

Quote from: Kevin on March 26, 2009, 01:26:21 pm
none, they want somebody who understand uk basketball

donovan then ford

Pel understands Kentucky basketball.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 26, 2009, 01:25:32 pm
Hell, if I was Memphis, I'd let Calipari walk to Kentucky and hire one of those 30 to 40 coaches (not named Self, Krzyzewski, Dixon, Calhoun, Boeheim,  Capel, Barnes, Williams, Jay Wright, Donovan, or Pitino) that could also win 30 games per year for a LOT less money.

That was an exaggeration.  But, the ones I named were the "name" coaches that I'm relatively certain could win 30 games a year at Memphis.  There are probably quite a few others that could as well (or get pretty close), who are not considered "name" coaches right now.

donewithdale

Don't know the odds but put me down for Hope So.  The SEC needs to get better and needs UK to be great. 

The Hogfather

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 26, 2009, 01:23:18 pm
But as great a gig as the Memphis job is right now, it ain't ever going to be Kentucky.  

I'm not sure about that right now.  What does it have that Memphis doesn't?  He out-recruits Kentucky, plays in a league with not much resistance (helps build their recent tradition and win totals), yet can still be considered a good enough team to receive a 1 or 2-seed in the NCAAT, allowing for great runs.  They might pay him a little more, although that Memphis fan said he gets a $5 million bonus after next year.  I think the pros outweigh the cons for staying at Memphis.

The Hogfather

Quote from: donewithdale on March 26, 2009, 01:29:00 pm
Don't know the odds but put me down for Hope So.  The SEC needs to get better and needs UK to be great. 

I agree with this.  He'd make the league better.  I'm all for it.

donewithdale

For any other coach, I could likely agree.  Cal has a great gig at Memphis that I don't know can be topped by UK outside of outbidding Memphis(FedEx).  And how much more money does he need?  Its obvious from his recruiting that he can get the talent capable of competing for F4's and NC's.  That is why coaches would take the UK job.  He doesn't need to do so.  And I'm not sure if the SEC or UK's academic requirements are any higher than Memphis' but I know they wouldn't be lower.  Rupp has fantastic tradition but the Forum is attractive to today's recruits.  The ease of the conference has already been stated.  The expectations and demands by the UK fans could be a drawback to his current situation.  And at UK, a NC would place him in a group instead of being The Man if he ever gets one at Memphis.  The one positive I could see, living in Lexington over Memphis.

scorekeeper

March 26, 2009, 01:45:02 pm #13 Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 01:46:53 pm by scorekeeper
Correct me if I'm wrong but are some of you implying that Memphis is being handed a 1 or 2 seed instead of working for it?  Because if you are implying that you are so far from the truth.  Memphis is a damn good basketball team.  With a coach who understands X's, O's, and $'s.  Cal is a good recruiter; he is able to get 5 star players to come play ball in Memphis.  While it seems true that Kentucky could pay more money we should also remember this Cal is beloved in Memphis, plays in a weak conference(not his fault), and he has FedEx money backing him.  He doesn't need Kentucky as much as they need him and it will take a lot in my opinion for them to do that.
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

The Boar War

Kentucky gets Donovan.  Florida gets Grant.  Alabama gets Anderson.  Arkansas gets screwed.

Oliver

Quote from: The Boar War on March 26, 2009, 01:51:27 pm
Kentucky gets Donovan.  Florida gets Grant.  Alabama gets Anderson.  Arkansas gets screwed.

Hell I haven't ruled out Georgia POSSIBLY pulling a rabbit out of their hat either.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Honestly? Memphis is in the running for the premier college basketball program of the past 5 years. He's got money, TV appearances, down conference. At this point, today, Memphis is a better job than Kentucky. I understand tradition and all that, but most recruits out there probably don't remember Kentucky winning it's last title anyway.

They know Memphis is on national TV beating the stuffing out of Tulsa, Memphis plays in the Fedex Forum, Memphis is more popular in it's own town than their NBA team. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?

donewithdale

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 26, 2009, 01:52:58 pm
Hell I haven't ruled out Georgia POSSIBLY pulling a rabbit out of their hat either.

Hope all of that happens.  The SEC needs to get better.  This will give our PTB the incentive to do so as well whether that is keeping Pel if he gets this turned around or going after qualified coaches.  Plus what guarantee do we have that Grant could recruit as well to UF as Donovan?  If not, he'll just be a less successful version.  And at least we would have one guaranteed home win vs Bama every season in that scenario. 

scorekeeper

Quote from: PoormansRobbyHampton on March 26, 2009, 01:54:59 pm
Honestly? Memphis is in the running for the premier college basketball program of the past 5 years. He's got money, TV appearances, down conference. At this point, today, Memphis is a better job than Kentucky. I understand tradition and all that, but most recruits out there probably don't remember Kentucky winning it's last title anyway.

They know Memphis is on national TV beating the stuffing out of Tulsa, Memphis plays in the Fedex Forum, Memphis is more popular in it's own town than their NBA team. Who wouldn't want to be a part of that?
True!
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Brass Knob

March 26, 2009, 02:02:28 pm #19 Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:04:53 pm by Brass Knob
Kentucky would have to pay a lot of money to Cal, like 7 or 8 mil a year for him to even consider and i do no think they can afford that.  Cal gets around $2.5 a year and will collect a nice $5 next for fulfilling a longevity agreement. So Kentucky will have to cough up some serious cash.  Not to mention Cal is on the verge of bringing in possible the best recruiting class ever.  Cal will be at Memphis for a long time, and he will certainly not be leaving for Kentucky! 

NedBeattySquealed

The problem with Memphis...It's in Memphis.
" It's not hate...Well come to think of it, yes it is."

Brass Knob

March 26, 2009, 02:04:18 pm #21 Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 02:06:14 pm by Brass Knob
Cal grew up in the Bronx, I think he likes Memphis because it is what he is used to.

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on March 26, 2009, 01:55:58 pm
And at least we would have one guaranteed home win vs Bama every season in that scenario. 

Unless some magical stuff happens in the offseason, I don't think guaranteed home win's exist for us in conference play.

WMHawgfan

I put 10% and under. I am banking on the tigers not winning the NC this year. If you are looking to hire Cal you should root for the tigers to win a nc because that is the door to a new job when it comes to Cal.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 26, 2009, 02:09:22 pm
Unless some magical stuff happens in the offseason, I don't think guaranteed home win's exist for us in conference play.

And if Wash leaves, maybe no wins at all.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

akp4105