Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Was KY the last SEC team in the NIT?

Started by HognotinMemphis, March 26, 2009, 08:51:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

I just saw Wilson's post about KY losing to ND. I haven't kept up with the NIT at all. Did the other SEC teams lose in 1st round or what?

You know the SEC sucks when only 3 teams make the NCAAT and go 1-3 and no SEC teams make the NIT FF.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

mathhog

March 26, 2009, 08:53:24 am #1 Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 09:02:09 am by mathhog
not at all.  the sec actually looked pretty good

florida auburn AND kentucky made it to the 'elite 8' of the NIT.

so by my count that's 2-1 for each team,

6-3 record overall.

auburn lost to baylor, and florida lost to penn state, in those elite 8 games.

again, rather have ncaa seeds, and i think either florida/auburn got robbed, but having all your schools a few posessions away from making the nit a second SEC tourney isn't that bad...

Oliver

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 26, 2009, 08:51:15 am
I just saw Wilson's post about KY losing to ND. I haven't kept up with the NIT at all. Did the other SEC teams lose in 1st round or what?

You know the SEC sucks when only 3 teams make the NCAAT and go 1-3 and no SEC teams make the NIT FF.

The biggest damnation of the SEC this year is that no team was good enough to get higher than an 8 seed in the NCAAT this year.  That's pathetic.

mathhog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 26, 2009, 08:56:18 am
The biggest damnation of the SEC this year is that no team was good enough to get higher than an 8 seed in the NCAAT this year.  That's pathetic.

yeah but do you REALLY think lsu was an 8 seed?  or that anyone that wins 4 games in 4 days (msu) with a 9-7 record is a 13?

i mean georgia was 4-12 in the sec and won the tourney last year...... and earned a 14 seed.
does anyone really think that a 5 game improvement in sec wins should earn you ONE SEED higher than the worst sec champ ever?

i think the answer is "the sec was poorly seeded", hence, Tenn &LSU stuck in the dreaded 8-9 game, hence, no sweet 16 is likely for either of those.

donewithdale

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 26, 2009, 08:56:18 am

Subjective.  The NCAAT committee had an agenda this year and it was to tell programs and the SEC as a conference to improve their non conference schedules.  LSU should never have been as low as an 8 seed. 

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on March 26, 2009, 09:08:15 am
Subjective.  The NCAAT committee had an agenda this year and it was to tell programs and the SEC as a conference to improve their non conference schedules.  LSU should never have been as low as an 8 seed. 

This is EXACTLY why LSU should have been an 8 seed.  Never reward a team for playing a soft non-conference schedule especially when they are in a conference with a very low conference RPI.  In football, the SEC steps up to the challenge in non-conference play.  It should be no different in basketball.  Hell, we probably had the best non-conference schedule of anybody in the SEC.  And we played OU, Texas, and f-all after that.

donewithdale

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 26, 2009, 09:19:26 am
This is EXACTLY why LSU should have been an 8 seed.  Never reward a team for playing a soft non-conference schedule especially when they are in a conference with a very low conference RPI.  In football, the SEC steps up to the challenge in non-conference play.  It should be no different in basketball.  Hell, we probably had the best non-conference schedule of anybody in the SEC.  And we played OU, Texas, and f-all after that.

BC's rpi and SOS would have left them out of the tourney yet they got a 7 seed.  Slive said that teams weren't evaluated on conference but by their own merits.  Did he lie?

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on March 26, 2009, 09:35:29 am
BC's rpi and SOS would have left them out of the tourney yet they got a 7 seed.  Slive said that teams weren't evaluated on conference but by their own merits.  Did he lie?

BC's rpi and SOS would have left them out of the tourney yet they got a 7 seed.

Do you mean should have left them out of the tourney?  What were they compared to LSU's?

Base on the info you post, I would have to say that being in the conference with the 2nd strongest RPI probably didn't hurt their chances any.  8 seed or not, LSU should have been nowhere close to anything better than a 5 seed.  That's still damning.

chiefsfan

South Carolina was a 3 seed also in the NIT and lost to Steph Curry and Davidson in the 1st round
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

regi

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on March 26, 2009, 10:06:18 am
BC's rpi and SOS would have left them out of the tourney yet they got a 7 seed.

Do you mean should have left them out of the tourney?  What were they compared to LSU's?

Base on the info you post, I would have to say that being in the conference with the 2nd strongest RPI probably didn't hurt their chances any.  8 seed or not, LSU should have been nowhere close to anything better than a 5 seed.  That's still damning.

Losing to Harvard should have counted for something.

PoormansRobbyHampton

Quote from: mathhog on March 26, 2009, 08:53:24 am
not at all.  the sec actually looked pretty good

florida auburn AND kentucky made it to the 'elite 8' of the NIT.

so by my count that's 2-1 for each team,

6-3 record overall.

auburn lost to baylor, and florida lost to penn state, in those elite 8 games.

again, rather have ncaa seeds, and i think either florida/auburn got robbed, but having all your schools a few posessions away from making the nit a second SEC tourney isn't that bad...

I have to disagree about the SEC looking good. Those teams you named were, at worst, the 4th, 5th and 6th teams from the conference. Baylor didn't make the NCAAT, but I think six Big 12 teams did. That means that the 7th Big 12 team beat Auburn at home. The Big East's 8th or 9th team knocked out Kentucky (4th or 5th best team in the SEC).

The SEC should have won a few games in the NIT this year, they were playing bad teams from other conferences. It's good that they won a few games, but all in all, I was not encouraged by the showing at all.