Would you support going after BCG?

Yes
31 (21.7%)
No
112 (78.3%)

Total Members Voted: 136

UAalumUALRlaw

March 25, 2009, 08:14:00 pm Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:36:58 am by WilsonHog
Obviously it looks as thought Pel will still be the coach next year, but I'm just curious as to how many people would want Billy G after what he's done the past two years at UK. He was the guy that most of us wanted after we fired Stan.

(My apologies; I changed the condition in the title so thirty-three would stop whining. - Wilson) 

JYH

Quote from: UAalumUALRlaw on March 25, 2009, 08:14:00 pm
Obviously it looks as thought Pel will still be the coach next year, but I'm just curious as to how many people would want Billy G after what he's done the past two years at UK. He was the guy that most of us wanted after we fired Stan.

I'd rather have Dana Altman.

PoormansRobbyHampton

I'd be ok with BCG being the reason Pel was fired. And from reading on here, some Kentucky folks want a former Wildcat in there, and most of the fan base think (and rightfuly so) that 2-14 in any year in conference in unacceptable, so I'd be totally fine with a trade of coaches.

thirtythree

No. JP is the coach. Until he is not I would not support going after anyone.

WilsonHog

March 25, 2009, 10:13:28 pm #4 Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 10:17:58 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: thirtythree on March 25, 2009, 09:49:25 pm
No. JP is the coach. Until he is not I would not support going after anyone.

Ummm.....I think that what the big IF in the front of his question was for.

It was a hypothetical. Let me illustrate for you what a reasonable answer to such a hypothetical might be.

"I don't think so. He has done well at UTEP and Texas A&M, but I think our job is more similar to Kentucky than to those schools. Plus he's proven to have had only marginal success in the SEC at the premier basketball school in the conference. For those reasons, if Pel were fired I would want to go in a different direction than Billy Clyde."

That's how a hypothetical is properly responded to.   

HogBreath

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 25, 2009, 10:13:28 pm

It was a hypothetical. Let me illustrate for you what a reasonable answer to such a hypothetical might be.

"I don't think so. He has done well at UTEP and Texas A&M, but I think our job is more similar to Kentucky than to those schools. Plus he's proven to have had only marginal success in the SEC at the premier basketball school in the conference. For those reasons, if Pel were fired I would want to go in a different direction than Billy Clyde."

Hahahahaha....+1 Wilson, that is hilarious.

It appears that just the thought of life without Pel is most unacceptable to 33.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

WilsonHog

Quote from: HogBreath on March 25, 2009, 10:32:43 pm
Hahahahaha....+1 Wilson, that is hilarious.

It appears that just the thought of life without Pel is most unacceptable to 33.

Nah. 33 is one of those guys whose loyalty to a coach is so absolute that he cannot even entertain the possibility of anyone else in that position without seeming disloyal and thus failing to meet his own criteria of what a "real" fan is.

Razorbacks#1

I thought all these kinda posts were going to the trash, so let me give my say before doing so. ALCON, we have PEL for at least another year. Can we come together as a fan base and support him and the team one more year? Its called partianship.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

WilsonHog

March 25, 2009, 10:38:50 pm #8 Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 10:42:27 pm by WilsonHog
Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on March 25, 2009, 10:37:13 pm
I thought all these kinda posts were going to the trash, so let me give my say before doing so. ALCON, we have PEL for at least another year. Can we come together as a fan base and support him and the team one more year? Its called partianship.

H-y-p-o-t-h-e-t-i-c-a-l.

Are some so blind that they cannot read the original post and figure out that the intent was to spur discussion on the merits of Billy Gillispie as a coach, not to criticize John Pelphrey?

Damn, folks. We ain't splittin' atoms here.   

THIS THREAD IS NOT ABOUT PEL.

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 25, 2009, 10:38:50 pm
H-y-p-o-t-h-e-t-i-c-a-l.

Help me out here Wilson. I went to ASU and most of the time can't measure up to your secret squrriel stuff but I pride myself on understanding you most of time. Give me a hint.
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

Razorbacks#1

H-y-p-o-t-h-e-t-i-c-a-l.

Are some so blind that they cannot read the original post and figure out that the intent was to spur discussion on the merits of Billy Gillispie as a coach, not to criticize John Pelphrey?

Got it now. Thanks!

THUNDER!

WilsonHog

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on March 25, 2009, 10:41:38 pm

Help me out here Wilson. I went to ASU and most of the time can't measure up to your secret squrriel stuff but I pride myself on understanding you most of time. Give me a hint.

See above.

Now if y'all will excuse me I'm going to go take six Alleve and lie down. I have a headache now.

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 25, 2009, 10:43:03 pm
See above.

Now if y'all will excuse me I'm going to go take six Alleve and lie down. I have a headache now.

Negative. Can't do that now. Give me time to analyze this thread.

THUNDER!

Mr. Porkleone

Razorbacks#1

Unfortunately Wilson, analization is done. (Is that a word) When talking about hiring a new coach, that leads me to believe we must fire the current one we have. So my end game on this argument is fire Pel and Hire BG. Of course I need to put the obigatory "maybe I read it wrong" Title of the thread was If Pel were fired." so tends to me that it had PEL involved.

THUNDER!

thirtythree

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on March 25, 2009, 10:51:21 pm
Unfortunately Wilson, analization is done. (Is that a word) When talking about hiring a new coach, that leads me to believe we must fire the current one we have. So my end game on this argument is fire Pel and Hire BG. Of course I need to put the obigatory "maybe I read it wrong" Title of the thread was If Pel were fired." so tends to me that it had PEL involved.

Exactly. I answered the question with a NO. Then I gave my reason why.

THIS THREAD IS ABOUT PEL. OTHERWISE, HE WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN MENTIONED.

HogBreath

Quote from: thirtythree on March 25, 2009, 10:59:47 pm

I'm starting to better understand your fervent support of Coach Pelphrey.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Razorbacks#1

Sir, I give you a plus one just for reading the same thing I did. Hypotetical involves real people who might read this board. Hypotetical can lead to rumors, and ultimately lead to dissension in the fan base, families, and team members. Just a suggestion for Lanny (My Hero, because I post on here for a fee of $100 a month) develop a hipothetical thread for all these posts. Just a suggestion, of course,one which may cause a banning, but I will stand on my thoughts. Oh, and last month, I got a free forever unlimited post free discount. I thought I got a good deal until I found out it was the same for everyone. LOL Posting on HOGVILLE 100% Fan Satisfaction / Going to bed with the wife 19% (Apparently I spend too much time on Hogville)

THUNDER!

thirtythree

Quote from: HogBreath on March 25, 2009, 11:06:43 pm

I'm starting to better understand your fervent support of Coach Pelphrey.

I do support him. It's not just because he is the coach. It's that I understand and realize everything that has happened. Had he been the coach here for 4-5 years and getting these results then I wouldn't be so supportive for him to keep his job after the season was over.

But don't start a thread asking "if Pel was fired". Come on. That is about him no matter how you want to swing it.

WilsonHog

March 25, 2009, 11:17:59 pm #19 Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 11:24:41 pm by WilsonHog

Ah. Let me assume you're married for purpose of the following hypothetical.

Someone comes up to you and says, "Hey, 33....if you and your wife ever got divorced, would you want to have sex with Jennifer Anniston or Angelina Jolie?"

I assume, 33, that your answer would be "No, ****** is my wife!!! Until then I would not support having sex with anyone!!!!"

Dude, you're more fun than GuvHog. I haven't had this much fun since someone stuck a banana in my shorts and turned a monkey loose.

heathtits

33 still thinks Tricky Dick is innocent.

thirtythree

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 25, 2009, 11:17:59 pm
Ah. Let me assume you're married for purpose of the following hypothetical.

Someone comes up to you and says, "Hey, 33....if you and your wife ever got divorced, would you want to have sex with Jennifer Anniston or Angelina Jolie?"

Can I assume, 33, that your answer would be "No, ****** is my wife!!! Until then I would not support having sex with anyone!!!!

That is not even remotely the same thing.

I didn't come out with a whole new thread saying posts  "like this one" would be moved to the trash.

The fact is we can come up with all the hypothetical's in the world, but none of them do anything but get everything riled up again.

He is the coach. There is nothing hypothetical about it.

You other "hypothetical" isn't even a good comparison. My wife knows very damnn well that I would do it whether we were married or not. :) Hopefully both at the same time, but you know what it won't happen.

WilsonHog

Quote from: thirtythree on March 25, 2009, 11:23:45 pm

I didn't come out with a whole new thread saying posts  "like this one" would be moved to the trash.

The fact is we can come up with all the hypothetical's in the world, but none of them do anything but get everything riled up again.

You other "hypothetical" isn't even a good comparison. My wife knows very damnn well that I would do it whether we were married or not. :) Hopefully both at the same time, but you know what it won't happen.

Oh, I think it is absolutely the same thing.

But even if it isn't, this thread has allowed me much opportunity to poke fun at others' expense. That's why I love Hogville so; it combines three things near and dear to my heart: (1) the Razorbacks; (2) writing; and (3) laughing at people. This is the best free entertainment around.

Hogville is the canvas on which I paint.

Hawghiggs

I would rather have Billy G. all we need to do in basketball is recruit Arkansas,Louisiana,and Texas. Arkansas should be a given for any coach.Texas would bring in a varity of talent,and he has strong ties to the state,and last Louisiana, we should be able to recruit this area because of are conference.

WBChogfan

Quote from: thirtythree on March 25, 2009, 11:23:45 pm

So you're more loyal to Pel than your wife?  LOL That's a fan I'd want in my corner!

HogBreath

Quote from: WBChogfan on March 25, 2009, 11:30:51 pm

So you're more loyal to Pel than your wife?  LOL That's a fan I'd want in my corner!
Funny thing is, Mrs. 33 likely would have had a better record in conference play this year.

WilsonHog

By the way, 33, it would also be the same as posing the question, "If Bobby Petrino were to leave would you want Will Muschamp as HC."

Answering a hypothetical question isn't a mark of disloyalty.

When I posted the new policy a couple of days ago, someone (you or mathhog) just gushed over it. Something about Jump Ball being the best forum on Hogville. Well it isn't, and by a long shot. It's a cesspool, if you want to know the truth, because most people cannot carry on the degree of dialogue to make it a great forum.

If it were a great forum, an administrator or moderator wouldn't be needed...and there certainly wouldn't be a need for a policy such as the one stickied at the top of the forum right now.

UAalumUALRlaw

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 25, 2009, 10:13:28 pm

Thanks Wilson. I did not mean to imply that Pel should or should not be fired. It was a hypo like you said. The purpose of the hypo was to guage peoples' feelings toward BG, not toward Pel. I was just curious what the good folks of hogville thought of BG a couple of years after most of us thought we wanted him.

Personally I wanted BG when we fired Stan. I don't know how much my perception of BG has changed now that he's pretty much failed at UK in his first two seasons. I'm not so sure he wouldn't have done better at Arkansas though. In Fayetteville Bobby Petrino and the football hogs are number one.  That acts as a mitigating factor in the basketball coach's duties as ambassador.  I could be wrong, but I think he'd be a better fit at Arkansas than he is at UK.

All that said, I still support Pel. Again, the question was just a hypo that I thought might be interesting to think about.

Wildhog

Personally, I would like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston AND Angelina Jolie. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Razorvet

thirtythree

Quote from: WBChogfan on March 25, 2009, 11:30:51 pm

No. My wife would tell me too. I think that's a great wife and I support her. Of course, this is all hypothetical right?  ???

thirtythree

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 26, 2009, 12:18:41 am
By the way, 33, it would also be the same as posing the question, "If Bobby Petrino were to leave would you want Will Muschamp as HC."

Answering a hypothetical question isn't a mark of disloyalty.

When I posted the new policy a couple of days ago, someone (you or mathhog) just gushed over it. Something about Jump Ball being the best forum on Hogville. Well it isn't, and by a long shot. It's a cesspool, if you want to know the truth, because most people cannot carry on the degree of dialogue to make it a great forum.

If it were a great forum, an administrator or moderator wouldn't be needed...and there certainly wouldn't be a need for a policy such as the one stickied at the top of the forum right now.

It wasn't me who said it was the best forum. A great forum doesn't have a double standard. Since you brought up the need for a moderator, I will say this. A moderator is supposed to be fair and unbiased in decisions.

When the very "hypothetical" question implies a topic that "supposedly" wasn't to be started it does.

Why not word the question, "Do you want BG as a coach?" That doesn't imply firing anyone. Why couldn't it have been, "If Pel were to resign would you want BG as the next coach?" It had to be if he were fired. There was no other way for him to leave.

You went against your own policy and trying to come up with whatever to justify it. Call me crazy, but if someones name is involved they are part of it.

QuoteBecause there is nothing new that can be voiced on either side of the Pel debate, because any thread purporting to discuss Pel turns into a pissing match, we're going to have a new policy in this forum at least for the duration of the NCAA and NIT Tournaments.

Unless there is breaking news (i.e. player/coach movement or NCAA-related) any thread discussing Pel or our basketball program will be moved to the trash.      

Any thread discussing the NCAA Tournament which winds up being a pissing contest over Pel or our basketball program will likewise be trashed. 

thirtythree

Quote from: UAalumUALRlaw on March 26, 2009, 12:36:53 am
Thanks Wilson. I did not mean to imply that Pel should or should not be fired. It was a hypo like you said. The purpose of the hypo was to guage peoples' feelings toward BG, not toward Pel. I was just curious what the good folks of hogville thought of BG a couple of years after most of us thought we wanted him.

Personally I wanted BG when we fired Stan. I don't know how much my perception of BG has changed now that he's pretty much failed at UK in his first two seasons. I'm not so sure he wouldn't have done better at Arkansas though. In Fayetteville Bobby Petrino and the football hogs are number one.  That acts as a mitigating factor in the basketball coach's duties as ambassador.  I could be wrong, but I think he'd be a better fit at Arkansas than he is at UK.

All that said, I still support Pel. Again, the question was just a hypo that I thought might be interesting to think about.

So, why didn't you word the question excluding JP? Something like, "Do you approve of BG"? That seems pretty simple, but I'm just a common man I guess.

WilsonHog

March 26, 2009, 07:33:42 am #33 Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 08:39:25 am by WilsonHog
Quote from: thirtythree on March 26, 2009, 06:14:16 am
So, why didn't you word the question excluding JP? Something like, "Do you approve of BG"? That seems pretty simple, but I'm just a common man I guess.

If you would have no objection to the post being phrased that way, then you are hypersensitive. 

There have been maybe 10 posts on this topic, other than you and I going back and forth. The first four, and a couple later, all responded in a way that indicated they knew what the topic was, and discussion was good. Only you and  Razorbacks#1 seemed not to.

Double standard? I am fair and unbiased, 33 - I'm fair and unbiased against people who can make an argument. I'm fair and unbiased against outstanding posters. HawgAdvocate believes in giving Pel another year, and I haven't given him a hard time. Why? Because he states his positions with reason and logic. He's someone, and there are others, who I could sit down and have a great conversation with regardless of whether our positions differed. He brings something to the board, makes it a better place in terms of content and style. You do not, 33, because you see the world with blinders on. Your post last night was evidence of it.     

But I'll tell you what...just to show I'm a standup guy and there are no hard feelings, I'll go in and administratively change the title of this thread just to soothe your emotions.

RedSatinHog

H-y-p-o-t-h-e-t-i-c-a-l.

Pel's name is in the title of the thread.  Of course it's about him.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

RedSatinHog

Quote from: JYH on March 25, 2009, 08:16:22 pm
I'd rather have Dana Altman.

Not me.  I remember all too well how sick to my stomach I was when we introduced him, and I was absolutely ecstatic 24 hours later when it was announced that he was headed back to Creighton.
Pts/Game: 122nd
Rebounds/Game: 208th
Assists/Game:  240th
FG%:  173rd

mathhog

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 26, 2009, 12:18:41 am

it was me, and i still believe it.  i think in a way its had its 'pond scum' moments of headhunting over pel or his assistants, but in no way is it a 'cesspool'.  i still stand by that bball fans are more passionate and knowledgable than football fans, because football is the 'default' sport in the south.  to be on jump ball, you have to really like or care about basketball, hence, some good ideas are here.

i know its contentious at times, but compare it to MMQuarterback from about april of 06 to december of 07...... how many 'fire nutt!' or 'support the program!' threads were put in the trash on a DAILY basis?  it was crazy :)

im amazed at how quickly the 'fire pel' meme has spread, but this still is the best forum on h'ville...

HogBreath

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 25, 2009, 11:17:59 pm

Just for fun, what if we substituted OctoMom for Angelina Jolie? 

That would certainly help me make my decision on this matter.

newhog

Then why not say,If our coach took another job would you want BG.It does sound better.

Iwastherein1969

March 26, 2009, 11:35:24 am #39 Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 11:39:18 am by Iwastherein1969
Quote from: Wildhog on March 26, 2009, 12:50:29 am

Personally, there is much more of a likelihood of you having sex with Jennifer Anniston and Angelina Jolie simultaneously than there is for the current basketball coaching staff at the U of A making it to their 4th year. Dream on man, you do have better odds than you know who. Let me finish this with an IF as to make it a hypothetical, however.  The preceding post was based on an if.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

tbhogfan

Assuming all the stars line up that we were looking for a new coach, BCG is not the direction I would go. 

Not being able to win at Kentucky would not bode well for someone trying to win at Arkansas.
Go Hogs!

Matt Burks

You guys are forgetting that Broyles supposedly had Gillespie as the next arkansas coach and the when Kentucky came open, he held off on coming to Arkansas and jumped to Kentucky. Yes Kentucky is a better job in Basketball terms, but from what I gather, it sounds like BCG screwed us over a little bit on that deal.

I think he told Broyles he would come if we fired Heath, that happened and BCG failed to live up to his portion of the deal. Now we would consider him coming back?

UAalumUALRlaw

Quote from: Razorbacks#1 on March 25, 2009, 10:37:13 pm
As Wilson was pointing out, the reason that the IF was capitalized is because it was a hypo. I don't even want Pel fired for Christ's sake. The point of the poll was to find out how, if at all, Razorback fans' perceptions of Billy Clyde has changed over the past two years.

UAalumUALRlaw

I started the thread, and I can tell you that it was not supposed to be about Pel. I firmly believe (as does the administration) that Pel deserves another year.

THIS THREAD WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT PEL, I JUST WANTED TO FIND OUT IF PEOPLE STILL FOUND BILLY CLYDE DESIRABLE.

My point was in all caps, therefore I rest my case.

WilsonHog

Quote from: UAalumUALRlaw on March 26, 2009, 05:19:41 pm
I started the thread, and I can tell you that it was not supposed to be about Pel. I firmly believe (as does the administration) that Pel deserves another year.

THIS THREAD WAS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ABOUT PEL, I JUST WANTED TO FIND OUT IF PEOPLE STILL FOUND BILLY CLYDE DESIRABLE.

Don't worry about it, bro.

There are some folks around here with a stick the size of a #2 [CENSORED] up their ass.

UAalumUALRlaw

Quote from: thirtythree on March 26, 2009, 06:14:16 am

Because I wanted to find out if people still thought highly enough of BCG to want him as our head coach. That is, if we didn't have a coach, like we didn't two years ago after Altman quit. Thus the need for a hypo. I wanted to simulate the same circumstances that we had when people were so infatuated with BG.

hawgsav1

Quote from: UAalumUALRlaw on March 26, 2009, 05:19:41 pm

What's chikyungugkablah blah fever?  I believe that is the question.
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

lovetthog1

Quote from: Wildhog on March 26, 2009, 12:50:29 am

I would take either. My wife prefers Angelina. Depends on my mood lol.. Oh and back to the thread. I would take BCG. Most on here know I would prefer MA if there was an opening. Perhaps it is because I am a bit nostalgic. BCG would be like going back to the Sutton years and all that implies. Thats not a knock on Sutton by the way.

WilsonHog

Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 26, 2009, 05:26:12 pm
What's chikyungugkablah blah fever?  I believe that is the question.

We had some overly-sensitive posters who objected to Pel being fired even in a hypothetical, Alice-in-Wonderland sense.

So I had to improvise and come up with a rare disease that Pel might catch. I think it's an Afro-Italian disease.

heathtits

I wish the BCG thing would have worked out from the get go.

Always thought he was a much better fit here than there.