Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 BBall Recruit Mitchell Smith (MU lean)

Started by RazorAg, April 26, 2015, 01:33:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorAg

So, we're two sessions into Nike EYBL play, and I'm a little disappointed in Mitchell's production. I was afraid of what's happened after I saw him play in The Warmup in Bentonville a month ago.

Don't get me wrong. I think Mitchell is a good long-term prospect. Great size, great length, good athleticism, good skill. He flashes largely at times. But, he's not aggressive enough in my opinion. Now, he's still developing, and I think the confidence level comes from that; he's in the process of realizing what he can do. I just hope it truly is confidence and that he gains it down the road b/c I think there's a good chance he's a Hog.

In 18 mpg, he's averaging 4.4ppg and 3.7 rpg. Put those averages up against fellow post teammate, Eric Curry, who's not as skilled - 8.4 ppg and 6 rpg. Curry is producing more b/c he's more aggressive and a little stronger.

It'll be interesting to see Mitchell develop.

HawgAdvocate

April 26, 2015, 03:25:00 pm #1 Last Edit: April 26, 2015, 04:26:31 pm by HawgAdvocate
Geez Malik, go easy on'm.

11-18 shooting (6-8 from outside), 39 points, 5 assists, & 4 boards vs. All Ohio Red.

Sucks this is going down at the Kentucky Basketball Academy. UK fans, coaches, & players are out in full force. Monk did say yesterday that's he's cutting his list to six in July, after the Peach Jam. Coach A was recognized.

http://www.kentucky.com/2015/04/25/3819158/saturdays-updates-on-top-recruits.html

http://usatodayhss.com/2015/harry-giles-jayson-tatum-and-malik-monk-under-kentuckys-watchful-eye-at-nike-eybl
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Porked Tongue

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 26, 2015, 03:25:00 pm
Geez Malik, go easy on'm.

11-18 shooting (6-8 from outside), 39 points, 5 assists, & 4 boards vs. All Ohio Red, today.

Mitchell is in a rough spot.  This team will certainly help get him exposure and he gets to play versus good competition but his playing time is low.  Plus this league is more guard dominated than most.

He's limited to time and touches.  Hard to show much when that is the case.

Playing with Monk has a downside for players like him.  Not blaming Monk, just saying.

RazorAg

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 26, 2015, 03:31:34 pm

Mitchell is in a rough spot.  This team will certainly help get him exposure and he gets to play versus good competition but his playing time is low.  Plus this league is more guard dominated than most.

He's limited to time and touches.  Hard to show much when that is the case.

Playing with Monk has a downside for players like him.  Not blaming Monk, just saying.

Curious. Have you seen the team play?

Porked Tongue

Yes when they were in Bentonville.

I'm not nominating Mitchell for the McDonald's game, but rather saying he doesn't have a real chance to shine on that team.  In really close games, he doesn't play a lot.

Here are shot attempts through their 8 games:

Monk 100
Smith 21

Plus Monk shoots even more but gets to the line a lot.

http://www.d1circuit.com/stats/team_instance/1165213?subseason=209505&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=1331778

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: RazorAg on April 26, 2015, 01:33:21 pm
So, we're two sessions into Nike EYBL play.

Now that he's been healthy, what are your thoughts on Jalen Johnson? His numbers & measurables indicate he's a versatile wing we could use. But that's all I've seen. I'm probably jumping the gun on an extremely detailed post-event review you're putting together (hint, hint).
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Kevin

don't play on a aau team, you are not going to get playing time
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 26, 2015, 03:46:14 pm

I'm not nominating Mitchell for the McDonald's game, but rather saying he doesn't have a real chance to shine on that team.  In really close games, he doesn't play a lot.

Monk 100
Smith 21

http://www.d1circuit.com/stats/team_instance/1165213?subseason=209505&tab=team_instance_player_stats&tool=1331778
I told a buddy of mine when I was watching Monk play if I played on this team and wanted to be a good scorer then every time Monk gets the ball I would find myself a good place to rebound. LOL.  Monk is very good but he shoots a lot and if Smith wants to score then he needs to get on the Offensive Boards which he should do any way.

nwahogfan1

How many D1 kids on this team??   How many will Arkansas offer? 

Is there a SF on this team we should go after?

RazorAg

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 26, 2015, 03:46:14 pm

Monk 100
Smith 21

Thanks. Just wanted context behind your statements.

I've seen them play live four times now. Smith starts and if he could stay out of foul trouble, he'd play as many minutes as anyone. Sure, Monk is going to take a lot of shots relative to thereby of the team, but having watched the team play, Mitchell has more than enough opportunity to make an much more significant impact offensively. He gets the ball in the halfcourt and runs the floor well in transition. He's just timid right now. He also doesn't move enough, creating offensive opportunities via space, offensive rebounds and loose balls.

He has a great opportunity on this team. He has all the chances he needs. It's up to him. The ability is there.

RazorAg

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 26, 2015, 04:35:30 pm
Now that he's been healthy, what are your thoughts on Jalen Johnson? His numbers & measurables indicate he's a versatile wing we could use. But that's all I've seen. I'm probably jumping the gun on an extremely detailed post-event review you're putting together (hint, hint).

No event report to give.

On your question about Johnson, I'm just up in the air about him. He's pretty skilled. Good size for a wing. Good shooter. But, he's very, very finesse at this time. He also doesn't have a great handle. He's very heady, though, and I think that's the key to his production. I generally lean toward skill guys, but gun to head, I'd pass on him.

RazorAg

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on April 27, 2015, 11:20:47 am
How many D1 kids on this team??   How many will Arkansas offer? 

Is there a SF on this team we should go after?

Every kid on the team has a D1 offer. Most of the kids are low to mid major players, though.

Monk and Smith have offers. I think Eric Curry 6'7-6'8 PF has the next best chance for an offer. From there, 6'6 wing Jalen Johnson and 6'4 Payton Willis have the next best chances.

I gave my thoughts about Johnson above. I see Willis and Smith as the same. If they play with more aggressiveness, they are no-brainers. Willis has a high ceiling as a college SG, IMO.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: RazorAg on April 28, 2015, 12:55:14 pm
Monk and Smith have offers. I think Eric Curry 6'7-6'8 PF has the next best chance for an offer.

Curry recently announced that he got an offer from OK State. I'll be surprised if Arkansas doesn't offer as well, if we haven't already.

Porked Tongue

Tulsa offered Willis and Dixon.

Belmont offered Willis.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 28, 2015, 04:43:05 pm
Tulsa offered Willis and Dixon.

Belmont offered Willis.

What is Willis' status with Arkansas? From your time watching him, what do you think of him?

Porked Tongue

Quietly explosive.   Underrated shooter.

I heard there has been some light contact but can't confirm.

poloprince

I was expecting a BP type emergence from his junior to senior year.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Porked Tongue

Quote from: poloprince on April 29, 2015, 09:33:52 am
I was expecting a BP type emergence from his junior to senior year.
If you're speaking of MS, he wasn't that far along when compared to BP.  It would be a substantial leap.

I think that leap won't come until he's in college a few years.

Kevin

Depends on if he is in a gym working on his game or not. 
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

RazorAg

Quote from: Porked Tongue on April 29, 2015, 03:30:19 pm
If you're speaking of MS, he wasn't that far along when compared to BP.  It would be a substantial leap.

Skill level is not that much different at the same stage. Motor and aggressiveness are the major differences. Portis was fierce about everything, including self-development.

Porked Tongue

I almost agree.  BP was skilled a bit more.  As for motor, everyone looks for that in MS due to his quite nature.