Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How much has the sting worn off?

Started by Hawg Red, April 24, 2015, 12:12:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

For you, after the loss of Portis and Qualls.

Is your optimism bouncing back?

Do you feel worse about things than you did when they announced?

How do you feel about recruiting?

Just want to see where everyone's head is at now that we've all had time to digest the departures.

Pigliophile

I was surprised at the amount of backlash. I was hoping for the best and expecting the worse so my feelings have not changed. I am interested to see what the roster looks like next year and to see how the players/staff respond. After next season we will know how good of a coach MA really is.

poloprince

In MA I trust. I still expect 22+ wins next season with Anton Beard being the leading scorer and Dusty the second leading scorer next season.

Ted and Jimmy indicates recruiting is doing very good. I guess the 3 departures is what has called for some to criticize the recruiting efforts.   :razorback:

$PoLoPrInCe$

Hawg Red

I see this next season going one of two ways. And I'm going to use the NBA as an analogy.

The first example I'm going to use is the Miami Heat. They had a very big loss after last season in LeBron James. They tried to replace him as best they could, but obviously couldn't. They ended up with Loul Deng and Goran Dragic, but still missed the playoffs. (Mind you, I know they experienced a lot of injuries, mainly Chris Bosh, but we're going to look past that here.) We'll equate the loss of LeBron to losing Portis, Qualls, Harris, and Madden. Kapita and Whitt = Dragic and Deng.

The second example is the Boston Celtics. No one expected that roster to make the playoffs. A lot of Hogs are feeling that way about the Hogs next season. Hogs could surprised quite a few people and make the tournament. I don't think anyone outside of confident/optimistic Hog fans are expecting Arkansas as an NCAA tournament team after losing Portis and Qualls, even with adding Whitt and Kapita.

azhog10

I think we have our work cut out for us and I think the staff knew this was a possibility. You try to bring in pieces that would entice those two to stay but the money was too good. Depending on how we close out will depend on how tight we can keep things and make the playoffs. I do however think the staff has their eyes on the 2016 class and are wanting to preserve as many scholarships as they can. We are on at least two guys who could be one and dones, so you are going to want to make sure you bring in some guys that are solid, but will also stick around. So you are going to need possibly 5 open schollys to make that happen. I think we still want to bring in a big either this class or next, but next year is loaded with really really good guards.

I expect us to be competitive and Mike has had worse rosters even here at Arkansas than what we are looking at for next year. Having Hannahs next year will help in more ways than we can think. His ability to stretch the floor will allow for more open driving lanes and I expect Beard to mature and take a huge step forward. I'm optimistic in hoping an NCAAT or NIT type year, but I won't be shocked to see us miss out on that with the notion that the SEC will be much much better with Pearl having another year, and Howland and Barnes arrival.

HotlantaHog

I feel confident Mike Anderson will have the Hogs on the right track. I think an NCAA bid is still a reasonable expectation next year.

UNCLE BACK

I just don't want Mike to give three schollys to guys that cant make an immediate impact. We  have about 4 guys on Scholarship that are glorified Walk Ons.

Hawg Red

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on April 24, 2015, 01:21:03 pm
I just don't want Mike to give three schollys to guys that cant make an immediate impact. We  have about 4 guys on Scholarship that are glorified Walk Ons.

4?

UNCLE BACK

Hawg Red

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on April 24, 2015, 01:26:40 pm
Jabril Durham, Keaton Miles, Trey Thompson. So 3 not 4....

Little too early for that on Thompson. Wasn't a spot in the rotation for him last season.

MikePiazza

Mike's 2008-09 team at Mizzou lost DeMarre Carroll, Leo Lyons, Matt Lawrence (for this exercise, Portis=Carroll, Harris=Lyons, Madden=Lawrence). Qualls is obviously the odd man out.

They returned J.T. Tiller, Zaire Taylor, Marcus Denmon, Keith Ramsey, Laurence Bowers, Kim English, Justin Safford, Jarrett Sutton and Steve Moore.

Tiller=Bell, Taylor=Durham, Denmon=Beard, Ramsey=Williams, Bowers=Kingsley, English=Whitt, Safford=Miles, Sutton=Watkins, Moore=Kapita. I couldn't find a decent comparison for Dusty Hannahs.

A Dikembe Dixson and/or Ty Outlaw could only bolster that roster. The 2009-10 Missouri team still won 23 games and made the round of 32 as a 10 seed.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Hawg Red

Quote from: MikePiazza on April 24, 2015, 01:28:48 pm
Mike's 2008-09 team at Mizzou lost DeMarre Carroll, Leo Lyons, Matt Lawrence (for this exercise, Portis=Carroll, Harris=Lyons, Madden=Lawrence). Qualls is obviously the odd man out.

They returned J.T. Tiller, Zaire Taylor, Marcus Denmon, Keith Ramsey, Laurence Bowers, Kim English, Justin Safford, Jarrett Sutton and Steve Moore.

Tiller=Bell, Taylor=Durham, Denmon=Beard, Ramsey=Williams, Bowers=Kingsley, English=Whitt, Safford=Miles, Sutton=Watkins, Moore=Kapita. I couldn't find a decent comparison for Dusty Hannahs.

A Dikembe Dixson and/or Ty Outlaw could only bolster that roster. The 2009-10 Missouri team still won 23 games and made the round of 32 as a 10 seed.

Qualls is a pretty big odd man out...

Hogfaniam

Sting?  From what?  Life in big time college basketball?  You recruit top 150 players, you expect a few of them to go after sophomore/jr years, else why recruit them. 

Every program yoyo's from time to time.  We will be ok.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Breems

Stung I am not.

I fully expected Portis to leave and knew there was a chance Qualls would leave after his excellent performance to end the season. When you have a capable staff and infrastructure, you don't worry about turnover, especially players leaving for the draft. It's a sign of a healthy and fully operational program.

Most programs do suffer from rebuilding years, though, and we'll suffer next year. I'm thinking anywhere from the NIT to the bubble. Thinking at the season level, we are indeed likely in for a huge drop-off. At the program level, all it would take is a commitment from Monk/other high-quality recruits we're on/good player development to restore long-term optimism.

Arkansas fans in the modern age are much more accustomed to mediocre basketball than good basketball. I said this throughout the season, but many fans - as far as Jump Ball goes - literally did not understand that we had a good basketball team this year. Every loss was a ticket to the NIT. They will continue to overreact to every transaction in the program in fear of returning to the mediocre basketball we know and love.

There's little reason to believe right now that we cannot sustain this success. Our recruiting has been pretty good compared to our program's performance the past decade, and better results will only attract more high quality recruits. If we whiff on 4-5* talent continuously in the next couple of offseasons, then it's time to panic.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 24, 2015, 12:12:32 pm

Just want to see where everyone's head is at now that we've all had time to digest the departures.

No sting.  Thought they would both leave so it wasn't a surprise.

Optimism hasn't left.  Babb's departure added to Portis and Qualls leaving left a bigger hole as he could have contributed in a needed role next season.  But the team will still win more than it loses.  We'll need to wait for the schedule and the completed roster to do any predictions.  But the conference still has a lot of struggling programs below our program.  Some teams were very short on players this past season and coaching changes and one recruiting class isn't going to make up the gap.  It is getting deeper but the Hogs shouldn't be pushed down past the middle next season.  I've seen predictions for the Hogs to finish 6th-7th next season and they were taking into account the departures.

Feel the same.  Optimistic as the program will be a consistent winner to varying degrees and so many SEC programs have rebuilding to do.  Unsure as the 2016 class is critical to how successful the program will be for several seasons. 

Recruiting still going about as expected with this staff.  Can't understate how critical the 2016 class is.  Impact players beyond the mostly limited role players, tweeners and projects we normally sign are needed.  Hog fans, the majority and not the diehard homers, need something to suggest a high level of sustainable winning is possibly coming.  The program is very blah right now and is at a crossroads.  I think that is why some of you got your hopes up so high for Portis and Qualls staying.  Mike has had his Matt Jones in Portis - a player who made the biggest difference in winning vs losing multiple games.  Now he needs his Dmac and Felix to carry a season or two to greater heights.  If the staff whiffs on this class, better hope some players greatly exceed their evals and do so quickly. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Breems, I would say going immediately from NCAA tournament to rebuilding (your words) is not sustaining success. How do you convince Malik Monk to be a Hog if you can't show him you can make the NCAA tournament regularly?

I'm interested to see how many people claim to have expected a drop-off season all along that were also claiming we were "back" during this past season.

Danny J

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 24, 2015, 12:12:32 pm

Is your optimism bouncing back? Not about next season....we will for sure take a big step back. Hard to know for sure how big of a step back but I would imagine we will likely be where we were CMA's second year.

Do you feel worse about things than you did when they announced? I feel the same.....

How do you feel about recruiting? Well...I feel good about Kapita and Whitt but I don't feel good about where we are as a whole...right now...but that hopefully will change.

And my answers are coming from a person who likes CMA, wants him here and also predicted we would finish no worse than second and had a chance at a sweet 16 this past season. I am a realist and realistically we are going to take a big step back.

Hawg Red

I find claims of "no sting" hard to believe.

You guys thought we'd lose both guys and a talented young player like Babb? You thought we'd have 3 spots to fill this late?

Not buying it.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hogfaniam on April 24, 2015, 01:36:26 pm
Sting?  From what?  Life in big time college basketball?  You recruit top 150 players, you expect a few of them to go after sophomore/jr years, else why recruit them. 

Every program yoyo's from time to time.  We will be ok.

Not sure you could call what's gone on at Arkansas "yoyoing".....

Not a lot of up bounces, right?

MikePiazza

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 24, 2015, 01:30:20 pm
Qualls is a pretty big odd man out...

Well there just wasn't someone who left that Mizzou team that compares with him. But yeah, absolutely he is.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Breems on April 24, 2015, 01:44:34 pm
Stung I am not.

I fully expected Portis to leave and knew there was a chance Qualls would leave after his excellent performance to end the season. When you have a capable staff and infrastructure, you don't worry about turnover, especially players leaving for the draft. It's a sign of a healthy and fully operational program.

Most programs do suffer from rebuilding years, though, and we'll suffer next year. I'm thinking anywhere from the NIT to the bubble. Thinking at the season level, we are indeed likely in for a huge drop-off. At the program level, all it would take is a commitment from Monk/other high-quality recruits we're on/good player development to restore long-term optimism.

Arkansas fans in the modern age are much more accustomed to mediocre basketball than good basketball. I said this throughout the season, but many fans - as far as Jump Ball goes - literally did not understand that we had a good basketball team this year. Every loss was a ticket to the NIT. They will continue to overreact to every transaction in the program in fear of returning to the mediocre basketball we know and love.

There's little reason to believe right now that we cannot sustain this success. Our recruiting has been pretty good compared to our program's performance the past decade, and better results will only attract more high quality recruits. If we whiff on 4-5* talent continuously in the next couple of offseasons, then it's time to panic.

I think you are overestimating how many Arkansas fans became accustomed to mediocre basketball.  Perhaps younger fans did. I don't think many would suggest we didn't have a good team.  The debate was more around how good. 

And I don't know if it is a fear of returning to mediocrity as much as it is a desire to return to national relevancy at the least.  I know some here hate the mention of football but we shouldn't have ever based our satisfaction, standards or opinions of our football program on the 1990s yet we did for almost a decade.  Why would we base our basketball views on the end of Nolan, Heath and Pelphrey unless we think that is what our basketball program is?  It isn't. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 24, 2015, 02:01:58 pm
Not sure you could call what's gone on at Arkansas "yoyoing".....

Not a lot of up bounces, right?

The last four years have been steadily up.  Next year may be a dip.  What happened before Mike is not on Mike.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Hawg Red

Quote from: Hogfaniam on April 24, 2015, 02:06:03 pm
The last four years have been steadily up.  Next year may be a dip.  What happened before Mike is not on Mike.

Fact remains that there hasn't been any yoyoing on Arkansas. Just mostly down. Mike's teams have improved each year but still only made one NCAA tournament. That's fact. That's the only high, really.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 24, 2015, 02:00:12 pm
I find claims of "no sting" hard to believe.

You guys thought we'd lose both guys and a talented young player like Babb? You thought we'd have 3 spots to fill this late?

Not buying it.

You can go back to the many Portis threads and find those who were reaching for reasons to why he should return to know who it stung.  Or those who tried to rationalize Qualls' thought process based on his NBA chances. 

Babb was a surprise although it makes sense why he would have become disenchanted.

We are where I thought we would be.  Heading into season 5(and probably out of season 5) with no definitive answer on this staff and their program here.  It is where I believe we will continue to be.  Plenty of positives to list mixed with enough failures and questions to not have an answer yet. 

WorfHog

April 24, 2015, 02:28:22 pm #24 Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 07:50:27 am by WorfHog
No sting here. I wish the best of luck to Portis, Qualls and Babb. You just think Mike is a bad coach. We'll have all the answers to recruiting on May 18, 2016 and we'll be able to see what we have in the pre-season NIT. Until then it's near pointless speculation. Unless you just enjoy arguing with idiots on the internet.

Hawg Red

Quote from: WorfHog on April 24, 2015, 02:28:22 pm
No sting here. I wish the best of luck to Portis, Qualls and Babb. You just think Mike is a bad coach. We'll have all the answer to recruiting on May 18, 2016 and we'll be able to see what we have in the pre-season NIT. Until then it's near pointless speculation. Unless you just enjoy arguing with idiots on the internet.

Ridiculous.

wheelspigharvey

Yes.  I've had time to visualize a Beard-led team, and I realize that this team is still better than the team we had in years 1-3.  I don't think a drop-off from 27 wins, a 5 seed, and a 2nd place finish in conference and conference tournament HAS to mean 17 wins, CBI, and a 13th place finish.

No.

I was worried like some but I see on many recruiting pages and CBB sites that we are not the only team still looking to lock down major talent, some of the guys we are after are being recruited by "big name" schools with coaches who are regarded as better than ours, and we've already got the two 4* studs on board.  (Not that I don't want to close strong.)

hoglady

I don't know how anyone can speak with certainty about anything right now.
Happy for Portis and Qualls but still sick over what might have been.
Just watching and waiting to see who we sign in the next month or so.
If we sign promising, possibly immediate impact players then we'll probably have a decent team. If we don't - next year might be a real struggle.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 24, 2015, 01:50:01 pm
Breems, I would say going immediately from NCAA tournament to rebuilding (your words) is not sustaining success. How do you convince Malik Monk to be a Hog if you can't show him you can make the NCAA tournament regularly?

I'm interested to see how many people claim to have expected a drop-off season all along that were also claiming we were "back" during this past season.

In the case of Monk, he does not care about making regularly, he just has to think they have a chance to make a run the one year he is here ( most agree he is a one and done ).
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 24, 2015, 02:13:03 pm

We are where I thought we would be.  Heading into season 5(and probably out of season 5) with no definitive answer on this staff and their program here. 

So how long should we wait for a definitive answer?  Do we wait until we see what the 2016 recruiting class looks like? How the 16/17 season goes? or maybe the 20/21 season, after all probably have to give a year or two pass after 17 if he gets Monk and then Monk leaves early.

That after 5 years you think we will still have no answer, is actually answer enough.

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

dhornjr1

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 24, 2015, 01:50:01 pm

By most accounts, Malik Monk is a one-and-done. So, he'd be on campus for nine months, maybe? Sustained success would probably not be in the forefront of his thinking.

He's thinking, "Ima have one good season and then get paid".

Hawg Red

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on April 24, 2015, 02:40:13 pm
By most accounts, Malik Monk is a one-and-done. So, he'd be on campus for nine months, maybe? Sustained success would probably not be in the forefront of his thinking.

He's thinking, "Ima have one good season and then get paid".

I can almost guarantee you he does not want to play for a non-NCAA tournament team.

Southern Hogspitality

I thought all along we were going to lose Portis and Qualls.  When Qualls ended the season the way he did I assumed he was more gone than Portis. But I still had smidge of hope.  The loss of Babb stung and worries me.  People say it shouldn't be a big deal with him going to Iowa St because his brother played there.  But I think that is more of a reason to be worried than not. 

I think next year is going to be very rough, we lost a lot of leadership, offense and rebounding.  I am not confident that we can make it up.  Beard's height worries me, without out a Portis and Qualls taking a teams best defenders I think Beard struggles to get open shots and I don't think he has the quickness to create his own.  I hope he progresses a lot during the offseason and proves me completely wrong. 

We are going to need a couple players to really step up their offensive game and get some defensive rebounds to return to the NCAA.  I like Mike Anderson as a person and I am glad he got a chance to be the head coach at Arkansas but I just don't think his style can consistently get us back to an elite program.  Again I hope MA proves me wrong and the next 5 years we are constantly a top 25 team and make the NCAA tourney.

ArkieBrat

No sting...I expected Portis & Qualls to leave

Would have been surprised (& estatic!) if they had stayed

I have never lost my optimism

Good grief, we haven't even played the 1st game of the new season!
My all time Razorback favs.....

1. 1969 Shootout (Longhorns 'n Hogs football)
2.  Great Alaska Shootout under Eddie Sutton
3.  Orange Bowl CLASSIC under the Great Lou
4.  Rollin w/Nolan AND the '94 NC
5.  Being able to see Nolan and Company at the Aloha Classic in Honolulu (Dec '94) & all of us breaking bread together at a luau, & watching Nolan do the hula after being called onstage. AWESOME!  It doesn't get any better than that.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ArkieBrat on April 24, 2015, 02:45:40 pm
Good grief, we haven't even played the 1st game of the new season!

What's your point?

ArkieBrat

What is my point?????   LOL

If you can't figure it out, OH WELLLLL.............

5.  Being able to see Nolan and Company at the Aloha Classic in Honolulu (Dec '94) & all of us breaking bread together at a luau, & watching Nolan do the hula after being called onstage. AWESOME!  It doesn't get any better than that.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ArkieBrat on April 24, 2015, 02:48:52 pm
What is my point?????   LOL

If you can't figure it out, OH WELLLLL.............

I have it figured out now.

You don't have one.

ArkieBrat

Maybe I do, maybe I don't....

You need to think a little bit harder.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ArkieBrat on April 24, 2015, 02:52:08 pm
Maybe I do, maybe I don't....

You need to think a little bit harder.

No thanks. I don't see why not having played a game next season would be relevant to the subject of the thread.

Hawg4life33

Mike has only had one season as a coach with less than 18 wins so I don't think we will fall off the map.  I still think we will be very tough to beat at home as we have been since Mike has been here. My worry is that we take a major step back on the road. Hope that Anton builds on his first year as a player and leader. I am optimistic about the new talent and the likely improvement of some of the young talent (specifically Kingsley).   

hawginbigd1

I don't know if sting is what I felt/feel, I said in December or january that they were gone, and somewhere around the end of March I got influenced into thinking maybe one or both might stay! I thought Portis might have the opportunity to stay and be a lottery pick. I am not confident we had the right approach to recruiting, but i will be better if we land a couple out of  Frazier, Dixson, King, and/or one of the bigs we offered.

Hawg4life33

Think we will know a lot about the future of the program by the beginning of next year after the early signing period. We will have a lot of open spots and chances to upgrade the talent.

UNCLE BACK

I hope that we see the trapping defense we saw him have at Mizzu and UAB. I can't understand why Mike can't get a group of really good guards here at Arkansas. The guards we have had since he has been here do not resemble what he had at the two other schools.  He had great scorers and very good defenders, here, we don't get either... Example, Kim English, Marcus Denmon, Squeeky Johnson ect...

ArkieBrat

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 24, 2015, 02:53:26 pm
No thanks. I don't see why not having played a game next season would be relevant to the subject of the thread.

Why isn't it relevant?  There is all kinds of chatter in this thread about how the Hogs are going to have a tough year next year.  How do we know it is going to be tough when we haven't even played the 1st game.  I am taking a wait 'n see attitude.  We could have a great year.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ArkieBrat on April 24, 2015, 02:59:28 pm
Why isn't it relevant?  There is all kinds of chatter in this thread about how the Hogs are going to have a tough year next year.  How do we know it is going to be tough when we haven't even played the 1st game.  I am taking a wait 'n see attitude.  We could have a great year.

Expectations aren't built off "wait 'n see."

hoglady

Quote from: ArkieBrat on April 24, 2015, 02:59:28 pm

You're right.
No one has any idea the progress some of these players might make over the summer.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Richard_white

I'm a wait and see mode.  If our coach is as good as I expect than there shouldn't be much of a drop off with continual success.  Does it equate to an NCAA Tournament bid next season, I certainly expect it...with or without Portis and Qualls.  It should be expected.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Richard_white on April 24, 2015, 03:05:09 pm
I'm a wait and see mode.  If our coach is as good as I expect than there shouldn't be much of a drop off with continual success.  Does it equate to an NCAA Tournament bid next season, I certainly expect it...with or without Portis and Qualls.  It should be expected.

What two All-SEC players do you see on the roster?

ArkieBrat

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 24, 2015, 03:01:30 pm
Expectations aren't built off "wait 'n see."

In my world they are.  I expect the Razorbacks to do very well.  And if they don't, then they have not met my expectations.  We just have to wait 'n see.  :o)

See how simple that is?  This is my opinion only and how I see things.  I am anxious to see the team play after the summer.

Hawg Red

Quote from: ArkieBrat on April 24, 2015, 03:07:50 pm
In my world they are.  I expect the Razorbacks to do very well.  And if they don't, then they have not met my expectations.  We just have to wait 'n see.  :o)

See how simple that is?  This is my opinion only and how I see things.  I am anxious to see the team play after the summer.

What are you basing your expectations on if you also need to wait and see them play first?