Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Qualls gone....per his twitter

Started by bighog2255, April 15, 2015, 02:48:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: lefty08 on April 15, 2015, 04:00:34 pm
I'm excited to see the new look hogs. Fresh faces are always exciting to me. I not a Razorback fan because they dominate the competition, I'm a hog fan because I was lucky enough to be born one. This too shall pass, but I'm not writing them off just yet

Its never easy for this team but the situation got tougher.

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

Danny J

We go from a team that could contend for a final four to maybe being a NCAA bubble team.....maybe. That is ok though. It happens. It shows recruits you can help players reach their intended destination. So it is not all bad. We need to try and sign the best available players or hold a scholarship open for 2016.

lefty08

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 15, 2015, 04:02:53 pm
Its never easy for this team but the situation got tougher.

Of course it got tougher, next year would be tough with Qualls. I think he made the right decision once Bobby left. I couldn't see Mike being the go to on offense anyways. He doesn't create his own shot nearly good enough. I think it's better for both parties that he goes to make some money. In my mind Qualls leaving doesn't change things next year nearly as much as what some.on here think
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

hawginbigd1

Seems like a lifetime ago when i got chastised for saying Qualls and Portis were gone in December. I wasn't happy about the recruiting or seemingly lack thereof. Kapita helped but we need at least 2 more quality candidates, hopefully none or one are Juco's.

Hogsmo Kramer

Well crap.

Good luck too him, wish he'd stay, but wish him nothing but success along with Portis.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: lefty08 on April 15, 2015, 04:06:10 pm
Of course it got tougher, next year would be tough with Qualls. I think he made the right decision once Bobby left. I couldn't see Mike being the go to on offense anyways. He doesn't create his own shot nearly good enough. I think it's better for both parties that he goes to make some money. In my mind Qualls leaving doesn't change things next year nearly as much as what some.on here think

Qualls leaves does matter. He was the only star left on the roster. And now Arkansas does not have a star. Stars win in basketball!

rusvegashog

Best of luck to the both of them. I would have done the exact same thing, but I'm 5 foot 10 and white. These... are... the breaks.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: moses_007 on April 15, 2015, 03:43:39 pm
It's a sad day to be a Razorback basketball fan.  We'll be lucky to win half our games next season.  All of our top scorers are gone.

We were lucky to win half our games this year according to you.

hogsanity

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 15, 2015, 03:47:10 pm
Hogmann, I wonder what happened to FCJ in these times. We lost 4 starters And most of our rebounding. Fans need to tone it down in a year of rebuilding.

In year 5 should MA already be having to rebuild? Can you rebuild if you never had a completed structure to start with?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

lefty08

Quote from: hogsanity on April 15, 2015, 04:20:29 pm
In year 5 should MA already be having to rebuild? Can you rebuild if you never had a completed structure to start with?

Not sure why you are calling this rebuild. Its all part of the process. It hap o end when you sign all Americans and guys like Qualls are freaks. It happens. We are still in better shape now than before they got here
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Atlhogfan1

Will be interesting to see who the team leaders become.  Even if Qualls had returned, not sure he would have been the best choice to lead the team.  Who steps into the void left by Portis and the departing seniors?  I know people are looking to Kingsley but it seems like Beard and Durham with Whitt's statistical input will determine how the team does. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

lefty08

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 15, 2015, 04:30:13 pm
Will be interesting to see who the team leaders become.  Even if Qualls had returned, not sure he would have been the best choice to lead the team.  Who steps into the void left by Portis and the departing seniors?  I know people are looking to Kingsley but it seems like Beard and Durham with Whitt's statistical input will determine how the team does.

I agree, I'm not writing off next season. I don't think Qualls is the type of player to be the #1 scoring options anyways. I'm happy for Qualls and I think after portis left he made the right choice

T.V. Caplinger

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 15, 2015, 04:12:56 pm
Qualls leaves does matter. He was the only star left on the roster. And now Arkansas does not have a star. Stars win in basketball!

Star? Come on now. He will be lucky to be drafted at all.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogman99 on April 15, 2015, 03:41:53 pm
You haters need to go kick rocks. CMA has the program in the right direction and these things happen. We need to be patient and let this play out as it will. 

What things happen?  We have the SEC Player of the Year (Portis) and another one of the top players of the last half decade (Qualls) and we get a total of one NCAA appearance...with a win over Wofford...in four years, then look like we're headed back for obscurity in what is a weak conference?

If that's as high as you set your sights, there's a good chance you'll score a bullseye.

Other teams lose their best players every year.  It's a fact of life in today's college basketball.  Some deal with it and keep winning, some don't.  We'll see into which category our program falls over the next couple of years.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: T.V. Caplinger on April 15, 2015, 04:43:51 pm

He was a star in college and you know it

riccoar

Hate to see this with someone like Thurman up there. If what was said on the radio is true, he's making a big mistake.

daprospecta

Don't let your emotions cloud your judgement. He will be drafted, he WON'T have a guaranteed contract.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: riccoar on April 15, 2015, 04:58:14 pm
Hate to see this with someone like Thurman up there. If what was said on the radio is true, he's making a big mistake.

You need to quit crying about a junior leaving. Even if he plays in Europe it is not a big mistake. Quit crying..

hoglady

Quote from: riccoar on April 15, 2015, 04:58:14 pm

What was said on the radio?
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

jry04

Quote from: daprospecta on April 15, 2015, 05:02:27 pm
Don't let your emotions cloud your judgement. He will be drafted, he WON'T have a guaranteed contract.
I wouldn't say he will be drafted. That definitely is not a guarantee at this point. He is a very good college player, but has a LOT to improve on to make it to the NBA.

riccoar

Quote from: hoglady on April 15, 2015, 05:03:40 pm
What was said on the radio?
Ron Crawford said, info he gets, that Qualls was told he was not ready. Something was kinda alluded to that somebody has given Qualls some bad info. Kinda like Thurman got. I'm saying I understand the lure of the money, but I just hate it causes kids to gamble. And yes, Qualls is a Junior, but he could come back and get that guaranteed draft with work.

Inhogswetrust

Good luck to him! Whatever pro team he gets on will automatically become one of my favorites......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: riccoar on April 15, 2015, 05:16:53 pm
Ron Crawford said, info he gets, that Qualls was told he was not ready. Something was kinda alluded to that somebody has given Qualls some bad info. Kinda like Thurman got. I'm saying I understand the lure of the money, but I just hate it causes kids to gamble. And yes, Qualls is a Junior, but he could come back and get that guaranteed draft with work.

And he can live at Walton Dorm, eat at the union and play for free. I'd rather get paid

jry04

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on April 15, 2015, 05:17:01 pm
Good luck to him! Whatever pro team he gets on will automatically become one of my favorites......................
I love Qualls, but I am not becoming a fan of a Euro league team.

Danny J

And its nobody's fault but the person who chooses to believe the bad info. At that point they are looking for any opinions that give them the answer they are looking for. He will go play overseas and make a good living. He works hard and has only gotten better and better every year. Not only that he has gotten better as the seasons wear on. His last four or so games were some of his better games. He was never going to play in the NBA but some team overseas will pay him handsomely for that finishing ability he has. He will be a draw.

HawgAdvocate

He busted his tail this past off-season to shore up his weaknesses, with the plan of going pro after this past season. Even with all the work, he knows where he stands within the pro community and what they perceive his ceiling to be. The thing to remember is these kids know their pro careers will only last so long, and each year they're not earning is a big deal. He's ready to get paid now versus spending another year as an amateur, rolling the dice on a possible better (or worse) opportunity.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

jry04

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 15, 2015, 05:19:53 pm

And he can live at Walton Dorm, eat at the union and play for free. I'd rather get paid
Yeah, go live overseas with your kid being in Louisiana, and girlfriend living in Arkansas, while you potentially leave hundreds of thousands dollars on the table. If he is content with playing overseas, than good for him. He will make a nice living over there. However, I would take my chances improving my game to potentially become a millionaire instead.

Danny J

Yes....he was a star in college and will be missed.

jry04

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 15, 2015, 05:21:59 pm
He busted his tail this past off-season to shore up his weaknesses, with the plan of going pro after this past season. Even with all the work, he knows where he stands within the pro community. The thing to remember is these kids know their pro careers will only last so long, and each year they're not earning is a big deal. He's ready to get paid now versus spending another year as an amateur, rolling the dice on a possible better (or worse) opportunity.
Hard to imagine him getting a worse opportunity after another year, when he is likely a late 2nd round or undrafted player. He would have to get injured early in the season or suspended to have that be a possibility. 

Hawg Red

Kids sometimes hear only what they want to hear. "You could potentially be a first round pick" gets said by one NBA person when the rest are saying "go back to school" and the kids hone in on a scout or GM saying they could, maybe, be a first round pick. There's no way these kids are getting completely misleading or bad info to the point of being told you're a first rounder and you go undrafted. I don't think that happened with Scotty and I don't think it's happening with Qualls. These are either okay with not getting drafted or they latch onto one or two positive statements and don't take the overall feedback into consideration. Just my opinion.

Atlhogfan1

Perhaps Qualls no longer wanted to be a college player.  His more aggressive play this season and lack of disappearing even against good competition leads me to believe he was playing for more than just a win.  He shot almost twice the amount of FT's this season.  He was much more active.  Qualls may have just been ready to get paid no matter the pro league he starts in. 

This isn't like Scotty.  People act like Scotty could have returned and played his way into the NBA.  He couldn't.  Wasn't going to happen.  He got horrible advice that suggested he could have been a first round pick including from Nolan.  I feel bad for Scotty because the reality was such a dream crushing disappointment and he had to later finish his education.  Qualls has the athleticism Scotty didn't.  He has at least a chance to compete against NBA players someday if he develops.  Or maybe he will be okay with making a living internationally.  I doubt he was given 1st round evals either as Scotty was. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: jry04 on April 15, 2015, 05:23:34 pm
Hard to imagine him getting a worse opportunity after another year, when he is likely a late 2nd round or undrafted player. He would have to get injured early in the season or suspended to have that be a possibility. 

And that would be one less year he can make six-figures+. He doesn't plan on playing basketball when he's 40, and he won't be making pro basketball $$$ for very long either. His stock won't get much higher. He made the right choice.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

hawgwild child

I think Qualls is fully aware he may not get drafted.  If he plays overseas he is still gonna male 100-300k.  Its just like marshawn powell, powell had his degree and left,  no point in staying.   Qualls is one semester from graduating,  hod forbid he has a horrible injury, with that said he can always go back and finish his degree

jry04

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 15, 2015, 05:25:39 pm
Perhaps Qualls no longer wanted to be a college player.  His more aggressive play this season and lack of disappearing even against good competition leads me to believe he was playing for more than just a win.  He shot almost twice the amount of FT's this season.  He was much more active.  Qualls may have just been ready to get paid no matter the pro league he starts in. 

This isn't like Scotty.  People act like Scotty could have returned and played his way into the NBA.  He couldn't.  Wasn't going to happen.  He got horrible advice that suggested he could have been a first round pick including from Nolan.  I feel bad for Scotty because the reality was such a dream crushing disappointment and he had to later finish his education.  Qualls has the athleticism Scotty didn't.  He has at least a chance to compete against NBA players someday if he develops.  Or maybe he will be okay with making a living internationally.  I doubt he was given 1st round evals either as Scotty was. 
I get your point, and think Qualls was a great college player. However, define lack of disappearing. Everyone criticizes Portis for "disappearing" or not showing up in certain games, but Qualls was the one who went through a huge slump mid-way through the season. Qualls works his tail off, and could work himself into the NBA, but I wouldn't say he didn't disappear.

Wake Forest: 2/5 shooting 4 points.
Iowa State: 2/6 shooting 10 points 4 turnovers.
SMU: 4/10 shooting 13 points. (not terrible, but not great.)
Dayton: 1/5 shooting 6 points.
Utah Valley State: 3/10 shooting 10 points.
Missouri: 3/15 shooting 8 points
Florida: 2/10 shooting 5 points 4 turnovers.
South Carolina: 3/14 shooting 11 points.
Miss State: 1/9 Shooting 3 points and 1 turnover and 0 other stat in 23 minutes.
TAMU: 0/9 shooting 6 points.

Offensively, he disappeared this season in about 1/4 of the games he played. On the flip side, he was so explosive that he could go off for 25-30 pts easily in a game.

Atlhogfan1

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jones/070504

Here is a good read on Scotty.  He thought he was going to play in the NBA.  Who knows if Qualls does or not or if he cares that deeply about doing so.  Scotty thought he was leaving to be a first round pick.  Qualls is leaving to make money somewhere. 

jry04

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 15, 2015, 05:25:53 pm
And that would be one less year he can make six-figures+. He doesn't plan on playing basketball when he's 40, and he won't be making pro basketball $$$ for very long either. His stock won't get much higher. He made the right choice.
The NBA and national media disagrees. I guess we will never know who is right, unless he somehow makes the NBA. I hope he does, but most felt he could play himself in to the 1st round with another year of development.

Kevin

Thanks for three years, best wishes to you mr qualls
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

HawgAdvocate

Now that he's no longer a student-athlete, lets see how long it takes before the previously unspeakable 'off-court' Qualls stories begin to come out.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: jry04 on April 15, 2015, 05:35:35 pm
The NBA and national media disagrees. I guess we will never know who is right, unless he somehow makes the NBA. I hope he does, but most felt he could play himself in to the 1st round with another year of development.

He wants to play in the NBA, but he's open to the best pro (paying) opportunity. The NBA feedback wasn't the deciding factor for him. He knows he's probably not destined for a solid NBA career.

jry04

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 15, 2015, 05:37:59 pm
He wants to play in the NBA, but he's open to the best pro (paying) opportunity. The NBA feedback wasn't the deciding factor for him. He knows he's probably not destined for a solid NBA career.
Fair enough. If he is fine with playing overseas than it was a good decision. Regardless, he will make a good living.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jry04 on April 15, 2015, 05:34:11 pm
I get your point, and think Qualls was a great college player. However, define lack of disappearing. Everyone criticizes Portis for "disappearing" or not showing up in certain games, but Qualls was the one who went through a huge slump mid-way through the season. Qualls works his tail off, and could work himself into the NBA, but I wouldn't say he didn't disappear.

Wake Forest: 2/5 shooting 4 points.
Iowa State: 2/6 shooting 10 points 4 turnovers.
SMU: 4/10 shooting 13 points. (not terrible, but not great.)
Dayton: 1/5 shooting 6 points.
Utah Valley State: 3/10 shooting 10 points.
Missouri: 3/15 shooting 8 points
Florida: 2/10 shooting 5 points 4 turnovers.
South Carolina: 3/14 shooting 11 points.
Miss State: 1/9 Shooting 3 points and 1 turnover and 0 other stat in 23 minutes.
TAMU: 0/9 shooting 6 points.

Offensively, he disappeared this season in about 1/4 of the games he played. On the flip side, he was so explosive that he could go off for 25-30 pts easily in a game.

That is a big improvement over the previous season.  In some of those games, he only disappeared for a half.  Half the ISU game, half of both of the UK games.  In the previous two seasons, he would have been MIA altogether. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 15, 2015, 05:36:10 pm
Now that he's no longer a student-athlete, lets see how long it takes before the previously unspeakable 'off-court' Qualls stories begin to come out.

HA is going there.  This could get interesting.

MountieDawg

Quote from: jry04 on April 15, 2015, 05:22:04 pm
Yeah, go live overseas with your kid being in Louisiana, and girlfriend living in Arkansas, while you potentially leave hundreds of thousands dollars on the table. If he is content with playing overseas, than good for him. He will make a nice living over there. However, I would take my chances improving my game to potentially become a millionaire instead.

Out of the 60 players projected to get drafted in the 1st 2 rounds of the NBA draft this year, only 13 our Seniors. ZERO Seniors are projected as lottery picks and only 3 Seniors are projected to go in the 1st round and get guaranteed money.  Kaminsky was the Player of the Year and he is projected to go 16th... It would not help MQ to come back.
SEC!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 15, 2015, 05:42:57 pm
HA is going there.  This could get interesting.

I'm leaving it there for someone else. I'm glad he contributed what he did on the court, but I'm not the least bit sad to see him go.

Hawg Red

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 15, 2015, 05:44:11 pm
Out of the 60 players projected to get drafted in the 1st 2 rounds of the NBA draft this year, only 13 our Seniors. ZERO Seniors are projected as lottery picks and only 3 Seniors are projected to go in the 1st round and get guaranteed money.  Kaminsky was the Player of the Year and he is projected to go 16th... It would not help MQ to come back.

He's projected as a late 2nd round pick to undrafted. It absolutely could help him to come back.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on April 15, 2015, 05:51:30 pm
I'm leaving it there for someone else. I'm glad he contributed what he did on the court, but I'm not the least bit sad to see him go.

Unless it comes from outside sources from information learned through the scouting process, I doubt anyone else will say anything.  Would take a coaching change.  Plus the dunks mesmerized the fans and their kids.

jry04

Quote from: MountieDawg on April 15, 2015, 05:44:11 pm
He could have played himself into the late first round according to all of the analysts and "experts." I do not get this "it would not help Qualls to come back" sentiment that so many on here share. He is at best a mid-second round pick to undrafted. If he goes undrafted this year, or is in the last 5 picks and does not make a NBA roster, than what benefit did he have of leaving now?

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: jry04 on April 15, 2015, 06:06:26 pm
He could have played himself into the late first round according to all of the analysts and "experts." I do not get this "it would not help Qualls to come back" sentiment that so many on here share. He is at best a mid-second round pick to undrafted. If he goes undrafted this year, or is in the last 5 picks and does not make a NBA roster, than what benefit did he have of leaving now?

The benefit is the NBA has 30 teams with 15 players on each roster. 30 x 15 = 450. So only 450 NBA players and Qualls wants to be one of those 450

Quit crying. Players leaving early helps future recruiting

jry04

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on April 15, 2015, 06:09:20 pm
The benefit is the NBA has 30 teams with 15 players on each roster. 30 x 15 = 450. So only 450 NBA players and Qualls wants to be one of those 450

Quit crying. Players leaving early helps future recruiting
Far from crying. I am on a message board where fans debate and discuss topics pertaining to their team. If you do not like it than you do not have to read it. Saying "congrats Qualls you will do great" isn't necessary because he will never read this post or yours trying to come to his rescue.

Qualls doesn't want to be a NBA player that bad if he is going pro after this year. Your comment is pretty idiotic. "The benefit of leaving is Qualls wants to play in the NBA."

Well check back in a few months and let me know how that works out, because very few players draft in the last half of the 2nd round or undrafted end up making a roster. If his goal is making any amount of money next year, then he should have left. If his goal is to make the NBA as you suggest, he should have came back.

Try coming up with some new material, though.