Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Qualls gone....per his twitter

Started by bighog2255, April 15, 2015, 02:48:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bighog2255

ricepig

Yep, I had hoped he would stay, but I never grumble over someone helping out their family. Good luck.

Hawgndaaz

navyhog24

Welp, we'll be lucky to make the NIT next season

JonClaudeVanHam

Well. We're back to hoping for NIT again.
Quote from: rhames on March 28, 2024, 10:56:37 amMusselman wants the UofA Transit Director Job.

bighog2255

Quote from: ricepig on April 15, 2015, 02:49:55 pm
Yep, I had hoped he would stay, but I never grumble over someone helping out their family. Good luck.

Agreed. Good luck MQ. Enjoyed watching you play

Hog Milanese

jry04

Good luck to him. It is an awful decision if his goal is to play in the NBA, but it is his decision and I hope he succeeds.

Wildhog

Leading returning scorer?  Anthlon Bell.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

navyhog24

MA should just take Goss and King if he can get them to transfer and take his hits for next season. He should try and reload in the 2016 class. Hopefully he decides to not take any projects just to fill the roster.

Wildhog

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 15, 2015, 02:57:32 pm
MA should just take Goss and King if he can get them to transfer and his hits for next season and try and reload in the 2016 class. Hopefully he decides to not take any projects just to fill the roster

I don't even want King. 

Goss would be very nice, though.
1909/1964/1965/1977

-Blu

This hurts.

Hope for nothing but the best for MQ though.

Going to be rough next year, really need to have a strong 2016 class.

The Boar War

Best of luck to Qualls.  He was definitely one of the most exciting players for us in a long time. 

Next years team is going to be interesting.

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

navyhog24

I hate the NBA, but I don't blame the kids for wanting to get paid.

poloprince

Man i am stunned over here.  Good Luck MQ, you will be missed.  #wehogs  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

hogsanity

Quote from: hogz11 on April 15, 2015, 02:59:39 pm
Come on Malik Monk for 2016.....

and then we can have one good year then go back to hoping for the NIT again.

You want the NCAAT every year? Go get sound guards that will play together for 4 years, and keep getting those type players ever class or every other class.

Want a roller coaster, keep loading up for one year runs, then trying for tow or three years to find that one year magic again. 

Unless, of course, your name is Duke, Ky, or KS.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

RazorPiggie

Wildhog

1909/1964/1965/1977

ADavisTheGOAT

I'm going into hibernation until 2016. See you guys then :)
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

ricepig

When the season ended or was coming to an end, I was thinking Qualls would go pro, and Portis would come back, just off of observations. Of course I flip flopped worse than a political candidate these last 3 weeks, from both staying, to both going. Good luck to both of them, and NEXT!

FelixJonesorDMAC?

Ouch, this hurts quite a bit.  Although I disagree with his decision for selfish reasons, but with Qualls gone, he will be the focus of attention from opponents and could hurt his draft stock so it may have been a good decision, although he had a chance to be The Man for this team, of course I'm Andersons style of play that doesn't translate into a 20 ppg guy.  Probably a good decision and I hate it.

MB Hog

Who steps up now?  It will be interesting to see - the team will have a completely different look to it, but I hope we just find another way to skin a Wildcat.

-Blu

Quote from: Hogfan991 on April 15, 2015, 03:03:28 pm
I'm going into hibernation until 2016. See you guys then :)

Same here.  It's going to get really ugly really quick, all the MA haters are celebrating right now, they will have their year of fun all of next season.  I'm not even going to try to argue with them. 

Anyways great season this year, looking forward to 2016.... Let's go Malik WPS! :razorback:

navyhog24

Quote from: hogsanity on April 15, 2015, 03:02:04 pm
and then we can have one good year then go back to hoping for the NIT again.

You want the NCAAT every year? Go get sound guards that will play together for 4 years, and keep getting those type players ever class or every other class.

Want a roller coaster, keep loading up for one year runs, then trying for tow or three years to find that one year magic again. 

Unless, of course, your name is Duke, Ky, or KS.

This next season is going to be long one waiting for a few players to graduate (Ie..Jacorey, Jabril, Miles and Bell) and hopefully upgrading over those guys with recruiting and maybe a transfer or two.

Wildhog

Well, maybe in another four years we can make the tourney again.
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pigsfeat

Am I right that the only guaranteed money is in the first round? If so, it could be a close shave for MQ. Think he is expected to go 2nd round? For every Patrick Beverly, there are 100 Scotty Thurmans!!
"You don't eat mayonnaise to be healthy!"
E. Neal

rkjones

Quote from: navyhog24 on April 15, 2015, 03:06:14 pm
This next season is going to be long one waiting for a few players to graduate (Ie..Jacorey, Jabril, Miles and Bell) and hopefully upgrading over those guys with recruiting and maybe a transfer or two.

Classy.

Atlhogfan1

Not surprised.  I wish him no ill will.  Hope it works out for the best for him and his family.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Sportster365

that's what happens on good teams, your players go to the NBA.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: rkjones on April 15, 2015, 03:13:45 pm
Classy.

Agreed always great to see the best in a fan base come out in these situations.  Just wait and see what these guys can do next year.  The team needs fan support now more than ever.  These are kids that decided to come play for the UofA and are still here fulfilling their commitment.  But yeah let's talk about how they suck. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

The_Iceman

Roster as it stands now:

PG: Beard / Durham
G: Bell / Hannahs
G: Whitt / Watkins
F: Williams / Kapita / Miles
C: Kinglsey / Thompson

With Babb (6'5") and Qualls (6'6")  gone, we lost all height at our guard/wing positions.

However, this should help our chances with any graduate transfers.

gmarv

wish micheal qualls nothing but the best,i really enjoyed watching him play in a razorback uniform.wps

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 14, 2015, 01:33:00 pm
What has been "lost":

Game Statistics
Player GP MIN PPG RPG APG SPG BPG TPG FG% FT% 3P%
Bobby Portis 36 29.9 17.5 8.9 1.2 1.1 1.4 1.6 .536 .737 .467
Rashad Madden 36 27.2 9.6 3.7 4.6 0.8 0.1 2.3 .424 .862 .377
Alandise Harris 35 21.4 7.6 3.3 1.5 0.8 1.0 1.2 .475 .722 .281
Nick Babb 26 4.8 0.7 0.8 0.5 0.2 0.1 0.2 .318 1.000 .333

About 35ppg, 16reb, 7 assists, 3 steals

Number 1,3 and 5 scorers
Top in assists by a wide margin
Top 2 in 3pt %
1,3 and 4 rebounders in reb per game
3 of top 5 FT%

This team also had the lowest steals per game since Coach A returned.

How is it replaced?  Some returners production per minute suggests they could make up some of it in increased minutes.  I don't know that some will see increased minutes though(Bell).

The assists part shouldn't be a concern as a team.  Coach A's teams have always done well in that area.

Update what has been "lost":

About 52 pts, 21 reb, 9 assists and 4 steals per game

It will be a very different team but not necessarily a bad team. 

A chance to contribute early should be a selling point to transfers and recruits.

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

LRHawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 15, 2015, 03:27:01 pm
Update what has been "lost":

About 52 pts, 21 reb, 9 assists and 4 steals per game

It will be a very different team but not necessarily a bad team. 

A chance to contribute early should be a selling point to transfers and recruits.

Christ. Didn't realize they combined for that much. That hurts. Time for Mike to earn his money.

Marshfieldhog

NIT or bust...I don't think we will even make that. So if that happens the first 5 years of Anderson nets out...

3 seasons of no tourneys
1 NIT
1 NCAA 2nd round

That isn't very impressive. He better sign a monster 2016 class to help him take the hits he will take this upcoming season. He should sign most of them in November before the season even starts.

Soooie21

I had a feeling he would leave if Portis left....Next man up...

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on April 15, 2015, 03:37:22 pm
NIT or bust...I don't think we will even make that. So if that happens the first 5 years of Anderson nets out...

3 seasons of no tourneys
1 NIT
1 NCAA 2nd round

That isn't very impressive. He better sign a monster 2016 class to help him take the hits he will take this upcoming season. He should sign most of them in November before the season even starts.

Nm

Boardon Hamsay

Not surprising and I wish MQ the best. Better get to recruiting.....
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: LRHawg on April 15, 2015, 03:36:00 pm
Christ. Didn't realize they combined for that much. That hurts. Time for Mike to earn his money.

Well we probably weren't going to be a team that made a deep NCAAT run with Qualls.  This just lessens the win total perhaps next season.  I think the staff has known for a while.  My guess is Bobby was waivered much more in recent weeks than Qualls.  His play this season seemed much more urgent and I believe he has been ready to move on.  It will force Coach A to play Whitt more from the beginning and give others an opportunity to step up.  We were going to have replace at least 5 after next season anyway.  If done right, this could help balance out the classes.  It is a shame it didn't work out with Babb though. He could have seen a significant increase in his role. 

hogman99

You haters need to go kick rocks. CMA has the program in the right direction and these things happen. We need to be patient and let this play out as it will. 

We will be ok and if it takes the newcomers a couple years to learn the system that is ok because our system is complicated and takes time to learn.  There is no way teams can be winning with freshman these days and we should not expect our team to do that if others aren't.

ricepig

Updated story: With Qualls' departure, Arkansas will lose 65.8 percent of last year's scoring. http://t.co/O8ob5sD80S http://t.co/LHv87LS9NC

moses_007

It's a sad day to be a Razorback basketball fan.  We'll be lucky to win half our games next season.  All of our top scorers are gone.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogman99 on April 15, 2015, 03:41:53 pm
You haters need to go kick rocks. CMA has the program in the right direction and these things happen. We need to be patient and let this play out as it will. 

We will be ok and if it takes the newcomers a couple years to learn the system that is ok because our system is complicated and takes time to learn.  There is no way teams can be winning with freshman these days and we should not expect our team to do that if others aren't.

Hogmann, I wonder what happened to FCJ in these times. We lost 4 starters And most of our rebounding. Fans need to tone it down in a year of rebuilding.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Soooie21 on April 15, 2015, 03:38:31 pm
I had a feeling he would leave if Portis left....Next man up...

I think Qualls was more willing to leave than Bobby.  Bobby made a business a decision. 

Defense.  It could make up for the scoring lost.  Will it finally click for some of the returning players?   

Marshfieldhog

I suspect tickets sales will take a dive next year....he really, really, really needs to lock up Monk and other studs in the November signing period. Striking out in November will not end well for Anderson. Did I mention he really needs to sign a Top 15 class in November?

pfrg999

Musician, Audio Engineer, Entertainment <br />Writer and Hardcore Razorback watching Hog Fan!!!

hoglady

Just had Arkansas Online afternoon update come across my phone.
This was the last thing I expected to see - had pretty much figured he would be coming back.
Wish him all the best and hope he finds great success.
But I am sick, sick, sick - we potentially were looking at a Top 15 team and now - good lord I don't even want to think about it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

lefty08

I'm excited to see the new look hogs. Fresh faces are always exciting to me. I not a Razorback fan because they dominate the competition, I'm a hog fan because I was lucky enough to be born one. This too shall pass, but I'm not writing them off just yet
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged