Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Remember when Jim Chaney was

Started by HeyHogs, January 08, 2018, 08:49:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

IronHog

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 08, 2018, 10:20:48 pm
I agree that Chaney is a very good OC. However, one thing he most certainly has going for him at UGa is the HUGE upgrade in talent he has up and down the line and the overall offensive side of the ball. That can make up for any shortfall in coaching he might have.

🙄
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

onebadrubi

Quote from: jdlew on January 08, 2018, 10:37:47 pm
Smart tried to hire Enos before Chaney???...right??

Yes. 

Chaney showed in the 4th why he isn't top notch.

Pork Twain

A good ole Chaney 2nd half flop.  Something we all know and love
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HeyHogs on January 08, 2018, 08:49:52 pm
run out of town on a rail?  Funny how he is not a good OC here but at Georgia he will win a national championship?  Good thing we have Chad now.
classic hogville. Chaney's playcalling cost them the game.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

niels_boar

Michel 14 carries - 98 yards
Chubb 18 carries - 25 yards

WTH? Ever heard of going with the hot back.

UGA scored their 20th point with 6:52 left in the third.  They then went into a shell and had 2 first downs the rest of the game.  After Bama takes a gut shot on the missed FG, Chaney waited until 3rd and long to throw in OT after running Chubb twice.  If they had stuck with their initial gameplan, they would probably be NCs.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 08, 2018, 10:30:20 pm
Without coming right out and saying it Chaney indicated to me a week or so before he left that his play calling had been highly restricted by Bielema.
Well I guess he can blame Smart now because he crapped his pants again in the 2nd half.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Atlhogfan1

Fromm missed some throws late.  Probably nerves.  Bama wanted UGa to run the ball in the 4th and OT.  Their dline was getting off blocks.  I thought Chaney coached about as well as he could.  Did what an OC should vs a Bama defense - spread them early, took shots downfield, ran his qb, ran zone reads with his RBs getting snaps. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 08, 2018, 11:47:31 pm
Fromm missed some throws late.  Probably nerves.  Bama wanted UGa to run the ball in the 4th and OT.  Their dline was getting off blocks.  I thought Chaney coached about as well as he could.  Did what an OC should vs a Bama defense - spread them early, took shots downfield, ran his qb, ran zone reads with his RBs getting snaps. 
You forgot to include losing the game.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 08, 2018, 11:50:16 pm
You forgot to include losing the game.

Didn't forget anything.  He put them in a position to win as well.  UGa's D against a Fr qb who has barely played got torched with 24 pass attempts and 3 TD passes. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

EastexHawg

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 08, 2018, 11:39:08 pm
Well I guess he can blame Smart now because he crapped his pants again in the 2nd half.

Yeah, he's only good enough to win the SEC and get to overtime in the national championship game.  Bielema's standards are much higher.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: EastexHawg on January 08, 2018, 11:56:44 pm
Yeah, he's only good enough to win the SEC and get to overtime in the national championship game.  Bielema's standards are much higher.
Well BB wasn't there when JC managed one TD which BTW shouldnt have counted because receiver was OB and one FG in OT. Great Job! You can paint it anyway you want to but he lost the most important game of his career. Bout as bad as BP losing to Miss State in a bowl w/o their HC.

ChicoHog

Quote from: Oliver on January 08, 2018, 09:29:47 pm
Fact is that we'd never beat the Bama's and Georgia's of the world with an offense like Chaney's.  We can't recruit well enough defensively
That's what we need to change.  Recruit better on defense.  I don't expect to recruit like UGA or Bama or LSU but we should be able to recruit better than we have if we hire some great recruiters like Venables but I guess that ship has sailed.  Defense, much more than offense, is about recruiting, recruiting and recruiting. 

kp72204

Quote from: HeyHogs on January 08, 2018, 08:56:23 pm
That's the way I remember it.
I think most people didn't realize they were a package deal.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

run out of town on a rail?  Funny how he is not a good OC here but at Georgia he will win a national championship?  Good thing we have Chad now.

Remember the time HeyHogs made an ass out of himself with a halftime prediction..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Pigasaurus

Late in the game, Cheney sends qb out and direct snaps RB who is smothered. This is the crap that got him out of Ar.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

Kevin

Seems to lose steam after wims got hurt and frohm threw int.

Got to keep scoring points.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

MuskogeeHogFan

What's funny is that posters on Hogville didn't like Chaney when he was here, made fun of his play calling, his weight and were glad to see him go.

What's also funny is how his results at Arkansas are compared on the same level with his results at Georgia when he has had top 10 classes of talent to work with at Georgia.

Additionally, who was there in the East to really offer a challenge to Georgia in that division? S. Carolina?

Finally, I guess it really doesn't take 4 years to fully install his offense, or does it? Georgia has a good football team, no doubt about it. But they should have a good team with the string of top 10 classes that they have signed.
Go Hogs Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 08, 2018, 08:54:49 pm
Naw! He and Pittman were too fat to be any good according to Hogville.

That's was when they left. When the hires were made they home runs. Just like this next batch of coaches.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on January 09, 2018, 06:04:31 am
That's was when they left. When the hires were made they home runs. Just like this next batch of coaches.

Optimism usually abounds with new hires in situations like ours. It is quite natural, but not limited to Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

oldbooniehog

Late in the game, on key posession, Chaney "got creative" and ran gimmick plays out of gimmick gormations, and the running back with best success to that point did not touch the ball.

Georgia punt. Bama score.

Vintage Chaney.

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 09, 2018, 06:10:09 am
Optimism usually abounds with new hires in situations like ours. It is quite natural, but not limited to Arkansas.

No doubt it is typical fan behavior.

DeltaBoy

Not so fast my Friend.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogs7199

Chaney lost GA the game.  He went ultra conservative when he had Alabama on the ropes. It was an all too familiar scene.

Inhogswetrust

Some of ya'll need to learn to wait until the game is over before declaring things..........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Snout team

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 09, 2018, 06:27:48 am
Late in the game, on key posession, Chaney "got creative" and ran gimmick plays out of gimmick gormations, and the running back with best success to that point did not touch the ball.

Georgia punt. Bama score.

Vintage Chaney.

This.  Chaney is a great play caller most of the time.  But when he gets into his own head too much he goes away from what is working.  Bama had not stopped Fromm all night.  This series was the momentum changer and game loser.  2 wild dog formations out of  3 plays, all stuffed by Bama defense, and led to Bama scoring on the next possession changed the game.  Fromm comes back in and Chaney goes back to calling what had been working but the pressure is too much for the true freshmen. 

Who knows.  He could have called 2 passes and a draw play and had the same or worse results.  Mike said he was talking to Chaney and Chaney said the easiest thing to do in the world is to criticize play calling after the fact.  There is a lot of truth in that statement.  However, last night when he ran the first one I thought uh oh.  When they lined up in that formation again after one play I thought Chaney, unless you are unleashing a really good trick play, you are about to blow this lead.  And he did.

Overall, For Georgia, who has played a very weak schedule, to play this well against a really good Bama team, was a surprise to me and many others.

Let's just say that Chaney, Pitman and Arkansas are all in a better place right now without Beliema.

The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

onebadrubi

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 09, 2018, 12:28:35 am
Well BB wasn't there when JC managed one TD which BTW shouldnt have counted because receiver was OB and one FG in OT. Great Job! You can paint it anyway you want to but he lost the most important game of his career. Bout as bad as BP losing to Miss State in a bowl w/o their HC.

And QB

EastexHawg

Georgia put up 23 points on a Bama defense that had given up an average of 9 in it last ten games, and they did it with a freshman QB who only threw for 200 or more yards three times during the regular season.  But yes, Chaney is the reason Georgia lost.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: #hammerdown on January 09, 2018, 07:28:48 am
This.  Chaney is a great play caller most of the time.  But when he gets into his own head too much he goes away from what is working.  Bama had not stopped Fromm all night.  This series was the momentum changer and game loser.  2 wild dog formations out of  3 plays, all stuffed by Bama defense, and led to Bama scoring on the next possession changed the game.  Fromm comes back in and Chaney goes back to calling what had been working but the pressure is too much for the true freshmen. 

Who knows.  He could have called 2 passes and a draw play and had the same or worse results.  Mike said he was talking to Chaney and Chaney said the easiest thing to do in the world is to criticize play calling after the fact.  There is a lot of truth in that statement.  However, last night when he ran the first one I thought uh oh.  When they lined up in that formation again after one play I thought Chaney, unless you are unleashing a really good trick play, you are about to blow this lead.  And he did.

Overall, For Georgia, who has played a very weak schedule, to play this well against a really good Bama team, was a surprise to me and many others.

Let's just say that Chaney, Pitman and Arkansas are all in a better place right now without Beliema.

https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other
Check #1 SOS.

UGA was 5th in SOS before the playoffs.

Season:  Date: 
12/31/2017
Rank   Team   Rating   High   Low   Last
1   Auburn (10-3)   12.9   1   73   1
2   Ohio State (12-2)   12.5   2   53   3
3   Penn State (11-2)   12.0   1   90   2
4   Oklahoma (12-1)   11.7   1   69   4
5   Georgia (12-1)   10.2   1   51   11

11th before SEC CG
Season:  Date: 
12/01/2017
Rank   Team   Rating   High   Low   Last
1   Auburn (10-2)   11.7   1   73   5
2   Penn State (10-2)   10.8   1   90   3
3   Ohio State (10-2)   10.7   2   53   7
4   Oklahoma (11-1)   10.6   1   69   1
5   Florida St (5-6)   10.0   1   12   2
6   Clemson (11-1)   9.7   2   68   4
7   Alabama (11-1)   9.5   1   42   22
8   Notre Dame (9-3)   9.4   7   62   11
9   Iowa (7-5)   9.3   7   71   8
10   TX Christian (10-2)   8.6   3   82   6
11   Georgia (11-1)   8.1   1   51   

niels_boar

I thought Michel was the best offensive weapon that either QB had at his disposal.  He had six touches in the second half.  I don't blame conservative when you have a two-possession lead in the second half.  However, with 9 minutes left in the game and up by only one score I don't think it was smart to run your way into a 3-and-out on three consecutive running plays against Bama.  UGA should have known by then that in all likelihood given the way that game was going that they needed another score to win, and they weren't going to do that without throwing the ball a lot.  Chaney made the same mistake by not immediately going at Bama in the OT.  They lucked out that they even scored a FG.  Granted, UGA had a couple of bad breaks like the missed facemask and Ridley plucking a fourth-down pass out of the air for a TD that was intended for another receiver.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on January 08, 2018, 11:39:08 pm

Do you mean his play calling was the reason his players didn't execute good enough...................interesting.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Grizzlyfan

Without coming right out and saying it Chaney indicated to me a week or so before he left that his play calling had been highly restricted by Bielema.
Why would Bielema have done that?  Did he not like to win?

Razorbackers

He literally cost us games. Our offense improved when he left. He inherited an amazing roster. He also sucked at Tennessee. A lot of folks are putting last night's loss on him as well.

wildturkey8

January 09, 2018, 03:13:00 pm #83 Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:44:36 pm by wildturkey8
Arkansas fans did not run Chaney off, Bret Bielema did. 

Wildhog

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 09, 2018, 02:25:55 pm
He literally cost us games. Our offense improved when he left. He inherited an amazing roster. He also sucked at Tennessee. A lot of folks are putting last night's loss on him as well.

This.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

okrazorback

He won at Georgia. Well actually he did not when it counted the most.

Athog

Yeah he was the "dog" of Hogville.

Pigsear

Quote from: Bash on January 08, 2018, 10:05:52 pm
Get ready for Chavis comments.  Oh wait, they've already started.   8)
They called Bret B every name in the book, and he was nothing but a class act through the whole ordeal. He still talks good about Arkansas, childish and immature fans.

orvillesghost

I guess my opinion is a bit different

I thought Georgia's defense wore down toward the end of the game. They have good depth but they don't have Alabama's type of depth *who does?*

The Tide brings in third string guys with literally no dropoff it seems. Just incredible.

ballz2thewall

it took me till year 4 to get off the assistants and to start pointing the finger at cbb. i finally converted right before rob smith was fired. it took some reflecting to see it.

since then i've concluded that, absent something drastic, you can't really judge the assistants under bielema.
The rest of the frog.

onebadrubi

Quote from: orvillesghost on January 09, 2018, 08:14:02 pm
I guess my opinion is a bit different

I thought Georgia's defense wore down toward the end of the game. They have good depth but they don't have Alabama's type of depth *who does?*

The Tide brings in third string guys with literally no dropoff it seems. Just incredible.

Chaney will end up being ran out of UGA.  Smart will try it at least one more year because of Pittman.  But motioning your QB out of the play on 3rd and 4's and letting the defense know you are running it and other dumb plays like this are what will cost Chaney is current job.  UGA will see major improvement by the time Fromm is draft eligible .

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 08, 2018, 10:14:05 pm
Why do you Chaney bashers insist on looking ignorant? You are embarrassing yourselves. The man knows what he's doing. Call the coaches who have gone up against him. He has great respect in the profession.

When Arkansas hired him I looked at Tennessee's record under Chaney and Pittman I thought Bielema was nuts. So I got on the phone. Before he ever called a play at Arkansas some well respected people in the college football business told me that Chaney was very good at what he does.

He's proving that now. To argue otherwise is just stupid.

No.  You are wrong.  Chaney lost that game for Georgia in the second half the same way he lost them when he was at Arkansas.  He gets too conservative in the second half and calls stupid wildcat plays in stupid situations.  Even I knew what was coming.  It's no wonder Georgia lost!  Chaney is a horrible offensive coordinator.  He'll end up getting fired at Georgia, the same as he did at Tennessee and at Arkansas. 

Cletus

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on January 08, 2018, 08:54:20 pm
Lol. He almost cost them the game with Oklahoma. If Georgia wins it's because of the defense. Alabama doesn't have a very good qb all you gotta do is stop their run and make your field goals.

Hell, I thought he was calling plays for OU at the end.
See, what had happened was........

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: Razorbackers on January 09, 2018, 02:25:55 pm
and, the Georgia fans are mad as hell about his playcalling monday night. This thread is classic Hogville. Like all those fools declaring Malzahn a natty winner before the game was over and he darned the bed against FSU. Y'all are hilarious.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

hoglady

I'm certain Clemson fans were complaining about their OC when they couldn't do crap against the Bama defense.
And OU fans were complaining about Lincoln Riley in the second half of their game against Georgia.

Sometimes the other teams defense just shuts you down.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Pig in the Pokey

yeah, well, that isnt what happened Monday night.

EastexHawg

Quote from: niels_boar on January 09, 2018, 01:55:32 pm
I thought Michel was the best offensive weapon that either QB had at his disposal.  He had six touches in the second half.  I don't blame conservative when you have a two-possession lead in the second half.  However, with 9 minutes left in the game and up by only one score I don't think it was smart to run your way into a 3-and-out on three consecutive running plays against Bama.  UGA should have known by then that in all likelihood given the way that game was going that they needed another score to win, and they weren't going to do that without throwing the ball a lot.

I'm confused.  Is the problem that Michel didn't get enough carries in the second half, or is it that Georgia didn't throw the ball enough?

It's pretty easy to sit around after the game is over and say what should have been done.  It's even pretty easy to say two different and conflicting things that should have been done.

Georgia scored 23 points against Alabama.  That's better than almost anyone else did all season.  They lost.  So has most everyone who has played Bama since 2009.  That's why Saban has six national championships, five in the last nine years.

HoggyCat

Quote from: hoglady on January 08, 2018, 09:40:40 pm
Totally agree.
Listened to Jeff Long on Bo's show today talking about how much better the program is now than when he got here. God - he must think we are all idiots.

He always did.  And some are still blind to him and are sorry he's gone.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Razor1997

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on January 08, 2018, 09:01:51 pm
God, all we needed to do was realize that scandals last for a week at the most these days instead of rushing to judgment and firing the 2nd best coach we ever had...typical Arkansas

"We" is a very strange way to spell "Jeff Long".