1. Broyles
2. Hatfield
3. Holtz
4. Petrino
5. Nutt
6. Ford
7. Bielema
8. Crowe

Hatfield had more conference titles, but Holtz arguably had a national title.  I could go either way there.

Nutt had more SEC West titles than Petrino, but BP took us to a BCS game.  Again, that's pretty close.

We are in the Ford-Crowe range now.   Joe Kines did ok but there's not enough data to rank him.  Reggie Herring and John L. Smith are omitted due to the mercy rule.

ChicoHog

Broyles
Holtz
Petrino
Ford
Bielema
Hatfield
Nutt
Crowe

Bubba's Bruisers

Really hard to accurately rank them, as they all coached during different times under different circumstances, but the ranking is as legit as any other I suppose.  But I think this is closer...

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 23, 2017, 06:54:09 pm
Broyles
Holtz
Petrino
Ford
Bielema
Hatfield
Nutt
Crowe

Maybe switch BB and Hatfield.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

The_Iceman

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 23, 2017, 06:54:09 pm
Broyles
Holtz
Petrino
Ford
Bielema
Hatfield
Nutt
Crowe

How in the hell can you look at Hatfield's record and make that determination?

bigyellowdog

1. Broyles
2. Petrino
3. Holtz
4. Hatfield
5. Nutt
6. Ford
7. Bielema
8. Crowe

Slater

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 23, 2017, 07:08:31 pm

Hatfield was pretty dang good, chasing him off was a very dumb move. The man loved the school, lived and died with the program. The Hatfield and Nolan time provided some awesomeness for some now very spoiled fans.
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

moses_007

September 23, 2017, 07:15:20 pm #6 Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 07:25:23 pm by moses_007
This is why.  After his first year, Hatfield never won less than 9 games.  He had 3 10-win seasons.  His shortcoming was his inability to win bowl games.

BentonvilleJeff

Broyles then Petrino are the top two obviously. Kenny was a good not great coach. I liked him but the fan base grew sick of him. Ford was a real good evaluator of talent, but not great at coaching them. He had a hard time with names. On his coaching show it would be good play by number 12. Remember Nutt's best year was his first with Ford's players.

I don't understand why Bielema's not cutting it. I was done with him after last season. His players love him to death, but don't show up. I have no idea why? Coaching has a lot to do with wins and losses, but so does emotion. I'm not as mad at today as I was TCU because we played hard today and just got beat. That's on the coach. Against TCU I blame the players for not playing hard with no emotion at all. If you love your coach and want him around then show it on the field.

We need a coach that can inspire plus coaching. Is that too hard to find? At Arkansas you can't just go through the motions and be the CEO. You have to find a stud for the head coach that combines everything into one package as a head coach.

DeltaBoy

We traded the King of Overtime for a hack who couldn't win an OT to save his life.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Letsroll1200

1. Broyles
2. Hatfield
3. Petrino
4. Holtz
5. Nutt
6. Ford
7. Crowe
8. Bielema

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: moses_007 on September 23, 2017, 07:15:20 pm
This is why.  After his first year, Hatfield never won less than 9 games.  He had 3 10-win seasons.  His shortcoming was his inability to win bowl games.

When the competition increased. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pig Mania

1. Broyles
2. Hatfield
3. Holtz
4. Petrino
5. Nutt
6. Ford
7. Crowe
8. Bielema

hoglady

Broyles
Holtz
Petrino
Hatfield
Nutt
Ford
Bielema
Crowe
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Atlhogfan1

Broyles only one to build a lasting program

Petrino probably next.  Most talented on Xs and Os. 

After that...

Ford did build us up as far as talent to be competitive in the SEC

Hatfield got mad and scorched earthed us in recruiting. Should not be forgiven

Holtz declined the longer he was at Arkansas

Bielema is failing. 

Nutt never should have gotten the job and divided fan base. 

Holtz NC coach
Ford NC coach
Bielema multiple B1G championships
None worked out at Arkansas

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: bigyellowdog on September 23, 2017, 07:11:21 pm
1. Broyles
2. Petrino
3. Holtz
4. Hatfield
5. Nutt
6. Ford
7. Bielema
8. Crowe

Dr Carl aka Shorthog

1. Broyles
2. Petrino
3. Holtz
4. Hatfield
5. Nutt
6. Ford
7. Bielema
8. Crowe
This

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on September 23, 2017, 08:20:55 pm
1. Broyles
2. Hatfield
3. Petrino
4. Holtz
5. Nutt
6. Ford
7. Crowe
8. Bielema

My list exactly.

BigBrandonAllenFan

At least Crowe gave us a 14-13 win over the Longhorns in our last year in the SWC.  That was a win that lasted 10 years.

Iwastherein1969

JFB, HOLTZ, PETRINO, HATFIELD, NUTT, FORD, BIELEMA, CROWE
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

ChicoHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 23, 2017, 07:08:31 pm
Because it was a very weak SWC at that time and as AtlHog said he burned us in recruiting.  I like the guy and he is an all time great Hog, I just don't think he was more than a mediocre coach. 

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Pig Mania on September 23, 2017, 08:24:40 pm
1. Broyles
2. Hatfield
3. Holtz
4. Petrino
5. Nutt
6. Ford
7. Crowe
8. Bielema
This is my non-signature signature.

swineology

Crowe and Fat A$$ close race for last

hog.goblin

Broyles
Holtz
Petrino
Ford
Hatfield
Nutt
Bielema
Crowe

5 little pigs

Quote from: nesjunk on September 23, 2017, 06:51:01 pm
1. Broyles
2. Hatfield
3. Holtz
4. Petrino
5. Nutt
6. Ford
7. Bielema
8. Crowe

Hatfield had more conference titles, but Holtz arguably had a national title.  I could go either way there.

Nutt had more SEC West titles than Petrino, but BP took us to a BCS game.  Again, that's pretty close.

We are in the Ford-Crowe range now.   Joe Kines did ok but there's not enough data to rank him.  Reggie Herring and John L. Smith are omitted due to the mercy rule.
now thats funny right there

Locutus_of_Boar

The 70% Crowd
1 Broyles
2 Holtz
3 Hatfield

The Might Have Been:
4 Petrino

The Cheerleader:
5 Nutt

The Semi-Successful Rebuilder:
6 Ford

The Unsuccessful Rebuilder:
7 Bielema

The Accident:
8 Crowe

code red

1. Broyles
2. Petrino
3. Holtz
4. Hatfield
5. Nutt
6. Ford
7. Bielema
8. Crowe
this no doubt
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

hawgrunner

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Slater on September 23, 2017, 07:15:00 pm
Hatfield was pretty dang good, chasing him off was a very dumb move. The man loved the school, lived and died with the program. The Hatfield and Nolan time provided some awesomeness for some now very spoiled fans.

Hatfield destroyed this program. Then he destroyed Clemson and then Rice fired him.

Stuff of greatness. 2 storied programs go into decades long nose dives after his tenure and you think he was good instead of the recipient of the weakest schedules of nearly 50 year lifetime.

Farmer Hogget

First, anyone who thinks Danny Ford was a better coach at Arkansas than Bret Beliema didn't attend the last Arkansas/South Carolina game Danny Ford coached!  LOL.  Puh-leeze!

Second, Ken Hatfield only ever won more games than any other coach in the history of the school.  That doesn't sound like he destroyed the program.

If we are going to take into consideration the schedule, we need to do that for all the coaches.  Because close to 1/2 of Bret Beliema's games have been against ranked opponents.  NO OTHER COACH IN SCHOOL HISTORY HAS EVER HAD TO COACH AGAINST A HARDER SCHEDULE THAT BRET BELIEMA.  That is a fact!

ShadowHawg

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on September 24, 2017, 03:13:13 am
First, anyone who thinks Danny Ford was a better coach at Arkansas than Bret Beliema didn't attend the last Arkansas/South Carolina game Danny Ford coached!  LOL.  Puh-leeze!

Second, Ken Hatfield only ever won more games than any other coach in the history of the school.  That doesn't sound like he destroyed the program.

If we are going to take into consideration the schedule, we need to do that for all the coaches.  Because close to 1/2 of Bret Beliema's games have been against ranked opponents.  NO OTHER COACH IN SCHOOL HISTORY HAS EVER HAD TO COACH AGAINST A HARDER SCHEDULE THAT BRET BELIEMA.  That is a fact!

Lol. I guess you think the lack of talent the year following Hatfield's leaving was on someone else?

Did the same thing to Clemson. Lol

HardCore

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on September 23, 2017, 08:20:55 pm
1. Broyles
2. Hatfield
3. Petrino
4. Holtz
5. Nutt
6. Ford
7. Crowe
8. Bielema

Debatable on switching 5 & 6.  Ford could spot great talent and get them to the hill, he just couldn't motivate or get them to play hard for him.  But this is a pretty good list
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 24, 2017, 03:35:21 am
Lol. I guess you think the lack of talent the year following Hatfield's leaving was on someone else?

There were reasons for the recruiting problems that Hatfield had at the end of his time, and that was related to the reason he left without visiting the campus of Clemson. He also didn't talk to Broyles for years after they parted. Jack Crowe also was not a good HC. That had a lot to do with it too.
This is my non-signature signature.

moses_007

Hatfield didn't destroy our program.  His record in wins-losses and recruiting has absolutely nothing to do at where we are in 2017.  Jeff Long is who has destroyed our football program.  We could had had better coaches the last two hires had Bozo hired them. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ShadowHawg on September 24, 2017, 03:35:21 am

Scary you and I agree every now and then.

pigskenG

Best ever: BROYLEs.  We even had great defenses under him.
Best offensive coach: PETRINO, but no defense and off the field stuff was too much.
next best: HOLTZ, like Petrino had a temper, just new he wasn't going to last. Notre Dame was his goal.
Good all around: HATFIELD, good offense for what he had, too nice of a guy, but a former Razorback.
Also good all around: NUTT, but never got confortable with his antics. Hurt himself in the end.
Too late to be good: FORD, his best years were behind him & he couldn't recruit Alabama kids like he tried to do.
Broyles only mistake: CROWE.

BIELEMA: not sure where to place him. His personality is great. He tries to recruit Arkansas kids first.
he welcomes walk-ons, he was one himself. I love the offense, myself. I just don't care for the spread.
Although the spread is a great equalizer offense, like the option game is best for Air Force, Navy, Ga Tech talent.
But he's having trouble recruiting players around the SEC to play the game like Wisconsin.
I think he was surprised to find out how good the SEC is, and how hard it is to run the ball like Wisc or Bama in the SEC. We can't recruit the OL every year to make it work.

JMO.    Hog for Life.

RazorbackAlways

HighcountryHog

What. No JLS?

Bielema goes just above his name.
no bumps, no fat chicks

hog.goblin

1) one game doesn't decide a career
2) I don't see where the OP restricted the coaching to at Arkansas
3) Ford and Holtz are the only true national championship coaches, though Broyles has a split one

Hogvillage Idiot

Not sure why we're just looking at these particular coaches but the top all time winning percentage coaches with a winning percentage of at least 70% is:
1) Ken Hatfield
2) B. N. Wilson
3) Lou Holtz
4) John Futrall
5) Frank Broyles
6) Norman Paine

I just personally think that a coach should win at least 70% of games coached in order to keep his job, much less to be considered on a greatest coach list.  Notice that the current coach is noticeably absent as is his predecessor, and his predecessor, and even his predecessor.
"Winning is like shaving - do it every day or you wind up looking like a bum."

Jack Kemp