Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC East Football Recruiting Battles heat up

Started by jbcarol, June 10, 2012, 06:56:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 47m47 minutes ago

Elite Louisiana ATH wants to play in the SEC to play against LSU http://sec.news/23p1Ptz

QuoteKeldrick Carper has 27 reported offers, many of which come from the SEC.

LSU is not one of them.

The Tigers have failed to extend an offer to Carper, Louisiana's No. 11 prospect in the Class of 2017 and the No. 17 athlete...

"Coach (Dameyune) Craig told me to come there for the spring and an offer might come then," Carper told SEC Country at Nike's "The Opening" regional in New Orleans on Sunday.

"It's been as it always has been — not much to say. They haven't offered me yet, so that shows me that they don't have any interest in me, so I'm not going to go there. My motivation is that I want to play in the SEC because I want to play against LSU. My own state is overlooking me."

6-foot-3, 185-pounder out of Plain Dealing High School (La.) can play both wide receiver or defensive back, two positions LSU will target heavily in its 2017 recruiting class.

Now, the Tigers must be prepared to come up with a game plan against Carper, who has recently toured through the South, making stops at Vanderbilt, Tennessee and UGA.

"Notre Dame, UGA and Texas A&M ... those three really stick out to me," Carper said. "Tennessee and Ole Miss, too."

Carper is scheduled to visit Ole Miss in May, when he can further explore the campus to see if the university is equipped with all of the other non-football factors that he's seeking...

"I want to be comfortable on campus. Some guys look at only sports, but you've got to make sure you're comfortable. You're going to live there for four years, and football isn't going to be all year. You got to live on campus and make sure you're comfortable in that city or town."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 19h19 hours ago

5-star WR from GA Demetris Robertson just announced he'll play for #Cal. Huge get for Sonny Dykes over UGA & ND among others.

Stewart Mandel ‏@slmandel 19h19 hours ago

Stewart Mandel Retweeted Cal Football

Wow. Adding a 5-star in May.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/728302538450194432

QuoteWhile walking with four-star safety Richard LeCounte III, now a Georgia commit, Judson explains how Meyer approached both recruits and initially didn't know who Judson was:

"Long story short, I was walking in the hallway about to go to the indoor field and work out. He was like, 'Hey.' I looked around. 'Come here.' He was like, 'How you doing, you like your visit?' I said, 'Yeah.' Then he's like, 'What up Richard LeCounte? Are you showing this guy (Judson) around?' I was like, 'Coach, I'm showing him around.' He asked me, 'Who are you?' I told him Bruce. He said, 'Oh, Bruce Judson from Florida. The speedy guy.' I was like, 'Yeah.' He said, 'I'm glad that you're on board and glad you got up here.' After that, I knew I was de-committing."

LeCounte corroborated Judson's story to SEC Country, though he thought it might have been a joke and Meyer purposefully didn't recognize Judson because he had on a dark blue shirt (Michigan colors). But Judson claims this was no laughing matter, and it's hard for anyone to miss his trademark mustache.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/743159140424519680

Quote5-star quarterback Trevor Lawrence put on a clinic at Wednesday's LakePoint Football Showcase.

Cartersville High School product took a trip to Athens this past weekend, where he got a chance to hang out with several of the Georgia coaches and players, including freshman 5-star quarterback Jacob Eason. Although Eason looks to be the Bulldogs' quarterback of the future, Smart and Chaney had an important message for Lawrence.

"They said I could compete from Day 1, whenever I come up there," Lawrence said. "I'll probably early enroll wherever I go, so, from Day 1, I want to compete for that starting spot. They said I'll be able to do that.

"They say I'm the guy for 2018 in this class. They want me to stay in state and be able to recruit around me, because if I was to go there people would come to (UGA)."

Rated the nation's top overall prospect in the Class of 2018, Lawrence doesn't want to drag out his recruitment. In fact, he plans to decide between Clemson, Florida, Georgia and Tennessee before the start of his junior season.

jbcarol

jbcarol

5 biggest recruiting battles in '17

Quote5-star RB Cam Akers (Clinton High School/ Clinton, Miss.)
Rankings: Nation's No. 16 player overall / No. 2 RB in America
Teams to watch out for: Florida State, LSU, Ole Miss, Tennessee

5-star CB DeAngelo Gibbs (Grayson High School / Loganville, Ga.)
Rankings: No. 34 overall / No. 4 CB
Teams to watch out for: Florida, LSU, Ole Miss and Tennessee
It should come down to UGA and Tennessee. The Volunteers have the lure of playing with his cousin Nigel Warrior.

jbcarol

jbcarol

OrTre Smith the No. 1 player in the state of South Carolina is fresh off a round of visits to South Carolina, Georgia, Clemson and North Carolina.

Quote"South Carolina is my home," Smith said. "They are showing me a lot of love as my home in-state school and I appreciate that.

"I like coach (Bryan) McClendon a lot. I know everyone up there. That school is all good with how they are recruiting me right now."

Smith went into detail about each of the schools he recently visited. Clemson, the school long perceived to be the front-runner, elicited the lengthiest response.

South Carolina's recruiting weekend began with an odd start when Muschamp sent out the commitment signal.

Zay Brown soon denied that he was a pledge to the Gamecocks, even though he did retweet Muschamp's #SpursUp hashtag.

Shortly after Muschamp's tweet, 4-star CB Tre Shaw went to Twitter to announce his four favorite schools: South Carolina, Auburn, Clemson and North Carolina.

Neither Zay OrTre have committed today.

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/jeffsentell/status/754484762782363649

QuoteAll I know is I saw 23-year-old 6-foot-6, 325-pound Georgia graduate transfer Tyler Catalina at that camp standing next to a high school kid that made him look well ... sort of on the small side.

His arm was placed in a sling with an unknown injury. It is good to know that the UGA sports medicine staff has an apparatus that big.

California native recently moved to Georgia Prep Sports Academy to further enhance his college chances on the next level.

https://twitter.com/GPSALIONS/status/746129616641855488

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Carvell_AJC/status/756554772845658112

QuoteThe Leonard Warner III ecruiting process isn't the easiest to peg. His academic transcript allows him to consider schools like Duke, Georgia Tech, Northwestern and Stanford, et al.

The nation's No. 7 inside linebacker for 2017 feels like he's been made a priority by the coaches at Georgia.

"Georgia is so close to home and I already know people who are at school there and who graduated that came from my school there," Warner said. "So it just makes a lot of sense for me to go there. But that's not how I am going to make my decision. With the choices that I have, I know I can't make a bad decision. I know with those schools I can't make a bad decision, but that choice will answer the question of which decision is the better one or the best one for me."

Warner does not plan to enroll early or be a silent commitment. He does feel some sense of urgency with his decision in order to make sure he doesn't lose out on a linebacker spot at a desired school.

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 4h4 hours ago

#STRecruiting: Dutch Fork WR Austin Connor now has Vanderbilt in his top four after his visit Thurs. Other schools are USC, UGA and VT.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/804164343357177856

Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina and others all made the cut for Keisean Nixon, a 3-star Arizona Western College cornerback

jbcarol

jbcarol

Is there a problem Mr. Lawrence?

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/809597142490906625

Pressed the "Eason" button: chose to play in Death Valley

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/809840678519840768

UGa, at least on notepad, is beating the likes of Tennessee, UF

QuoteAfter the addition of 5-star offensive tackle Isaiah Wilson, the Bulldogs now have 20 recruits for the 2017 class. It's the No. 3 class in the country, behind Alabama and Ohio State.

Of the 20 recruits, 17 are rated either 4-or 5-star recruits. Only Alabama has more, with 20. The 17 4-or 5-star recruits are also nearly more than the entire SEC East.

jbcarol

JAMES ROBINSON IV 4⃣ ‏@_StunnaJayy_ 14h14 hours ago

I will not be signing on NSD!

Recruiting is opened 🙏🏾🙏🏾🙏🏾

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/106

jbcarol

jbcarol

Graham Hall ‏@GrahamHall_ 17h17 hours ago

#Gators coach Jim McElwain on facing negative recruiting: "I always get a kick out of that. That's something that we will never do."

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/ESPN_SEC/status/864858655593648129

QuoteFlorida
Commitments: Six.
Current class ranking: 25th

Georgia
Commitments: Three.
Current class ranking: N/A

Kentucky
Commitments: Nine.

Missouri
Commitment: One.

South Carolina
Commitments: Six.

Tennessee
Commitments: Nine.
Current class ranking: 10th
Top commits: OT Cade Mays, QB Adrian Martinez, WR Alontae Taylor, DT Brant Lawless.
Breakdown:Recruiting has rarely been an issue for Butch Jones...

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

Georgia reaches out to Florida safety commit Randy Russell

QuoteDAYTONA BEACH, Fla. — Florida safety commit Randy Russell has heard from three schools since Jim McElwain's departure.

The 4-star safety from Miami Carol City told SEC Country that Georgia, Michigan and Louisville reached out to him in hopes of securing an official visit.

But at this time, Russell is locked in with Florida.

"I just love the Gators," he said Friday after Carol City's 17-10 win over Daytona Beach Mainland. "There's no other school that I went to where I felt like home. That's my second home."

Florida interim coach Randy Shannon and defensive backs coach Corey Bell landed Russell on July 22 after he visited UF twice in the summer.

Russell would like to see Bell and Shannon retained but said he will stick "if they stay or if they go."

The early enrollee said he intends to sign with the Gators on Dec. 22 —

jbcarol

Team '18 Recruiting Rankings in conference and nationally as of 12/21

UG  1 - SEC  1 - ion

UF  4 - SEC  14 - ion

SC  6 - SEC  16 - ion

UT  8 - SEC  26 - ion

UK  10 - SEC  29 - ion

VU  11 - SEC  32 - ion

MU  13 - SEC  42 - ion

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

QuoteEpiscopal School of Jacksonville TE Nick Elksnis committed to PSU back on July 31, 2019. On Sunday, he announced his decommitted from James Franklin's team.

Brewster celebrated the Gators landing a commitment from 4-star TE Gage Wilcox and hinted that another one of his recruits could join UF's 2021 recruiting class in the near future.

"There's another guy out there I'm hoping to hear from soon....😎 " Brewster tweeted.

Elksnis is listed at 6-6, 220 pounds and rated 3-stars, the No. 15 tight end, No. 60 Florida product and No. 379 prospect overall nationally

In addition to Penn State and Florida, he holds 21 other scholarship offers, including Florida State, Miami, Michigan, Mississippi State, Ohio State, South Carolina and Tennessee.

jbcarol

4-star Athens receiver Deion Colzie decommits from Notre Dame

QuoteKirby Smart and company managed to flip local five-star quarterback Brock Vandagriff from Oklahoma.

Dawg Nation has to be wondering the same thing about four-star receiver Deion Colzie after the Athens Academy standout announced his decision to decommit from Notre Dame.

6-foot-4, 193-pound Athens native ranks as the No. 46 overall recruit in the nation and the No. 5 receiver for the 2021 recruiting cycle.

Colzie's scholarship offer list: Notre Dame, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, Tennessee, Duke and Georgia Tech

jbcarol

Nation's No. 1 CB, 5-star Tony Grimes lists 3 SEC teams in top 8

QuoteVirginia Beach, Virginia, native also lists Ohio State, Clemson, Penn State, UVA and North Carolina among his top 8 teams. The 6-foot, 180-pound corner is ranked as the nation's No. 7 overall prospect.

jbcarol

4-star receiver prospect Erriyon Knighton sets new 200m national record

This recruitment is about to blow up.

saturdaydownsouth.com

1:49 PM · Aug 7, 2020·

QuoteKnighton just posted a 20.33 200m run. To put that in perspective, his time is a new national record.

FloTrack
@FloTrack
Erriyon Knighton ran a wind legal U.S. No. 1 in 20.33 AND set a new 200m national record. Did we mention this is the 15-16-year-old age group?😱🤯 He's unbelievable! https://bit.ly/31sIYjE

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Monroe Freeling, 4-star OT out of South Carolina, names 2 SEC teams in top 7

QuoteMount Pleasant, South Carolina native and Oceanside Collegiate Academy product has Florida and Georgia in his top group, along with Clemson, Miami, Michigan, Notre Dame and Ohio State.

Staying away from the SEC-W.

jbcarol

Devin Hyatt, 4-star 2023 WR from IMG Academy, has an all-SEC top 4 school list

QuoteHyatt, a 4-star 2023 wide receiver out of IMG is the No. 36 wide receiver in the class o' '23 and the No. 49 overall recruit from the state...

jbcarol

jbcarol

ChadSimmons@ChadSimmons_
 · 43m
Breaking: FSU beats Florida, Tennessee, USC for 4️⃣star offensive tackle Lucas Simmons. #GoNoles

More from Simmons: https://on3.com/college/florida-state-seminoles/news/florida-state-was-the-easy-choice-for-4-star-ot-lucas-simmons

Is he the silent commit?

Matt Zenitz
@mzenitz
·
34m
Florida State now has commitments from two of the top three rated 2023 offensive linemen in Florida per the On3 Consensus.

Lucas Simmons and Roderick Kearney, who were both recruited by FSU OL coach Alex Atkins, are each ranked among the top 120 overall players in the '23 class.

jbcarol

4-star wide receiver narrows list to 3 SEC programs

Quote4-star receiver Aidan Mizell's list of schools is down to 3.

The No. 91 prospect in the nation for the Class of 2023 will announce on July 29

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on August 05, 2022, 06:40:33 pmRickey Gibson, 2023 cornerback with 32 offers, names 2 SEC teams in top 3

Georgia and Tennessee are joined by Penn State

Vols cornerback target @RickeyGibson03 reveals time for scheduled announcement: 

QuoteClass of 2023 cornerback Rickey Gibson of Hewitt-Trussville High, revealed Saturday afternoon that he intends to announce his commitment Sunday at 1 p.m. Eastern time.

6-foot, 171-pound Gibson said more than a week ago that he would be committing on Aug. 14. But he previously hadn't given a specific time.

More than 30 schools, including all three of Gibson's finalists, have extended scholarship offers to him. Tennessee and Arkansas hosted him on official visits in June.

Josh Floyd player may be a Vol lean.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Kam Pringle, 2024 OL, includes 6 SEC teams in his top 10

QuoteNo. 2 offensive tackle in the nation in the 2024 cycle has whittled his impressive offer list to 10. The list, which he released Tuesday, is chock-full of SEC programs.

Auburn, Florida, Georgia, LSU, South Carolina and Tennessee are the SEC inclusions.

He's also considered to be a top 5 prospect out of South Carolina and the No. 58 overall prospect.

jbcarol

Matt Zenitz
@mzenitz
·
1h
Five-star wide receiver Hykeem Williams, who just committed to Florida State, is the Seminoles' highest-ranked recruit since 2017.

Ranked as the fourth-best wide receiver and 20th-best overall prospect in the 2023 class per the On3 Consensus Rankings.

jbcarol