Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2017-18 SEC Basketball Coaches Hot Seat

Started by jbcarol, February 11, 2018, 10:18:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

With arguably the strongest top-to-bottom SEC in league history, it is possible that head coaches of all SEC schools return for '18-19 for the first time in awhile. 

Vandy's Bryce Drew whose team is last in the SEC has one of Vandy's best recruiting classes ever lined up.

Calipari may be tired of underachieving with the one-and-done experiement for the third consecutive season, strand his son, and finally be less choosy about an NBA opening.

The current dean of SEC coaches may be the one along with UG's Mark Fox:

Antonio Morales
‏Verified account @AntonioCMorales
17h17 hours ago

Antonio Morales Retweeted Ole Miss Basketball

Seven losses in the past eight games for Ole Miss now.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Jason Butt‏Verified account @JasonHButt

Mark Fox takes '100 percent' responsibility for losing stretch and Yante Maten refuses to quit. Five observations, with quotes, from Georgia's loss to Auburn:

QuoteAthens

Georgia continued its mid-to-late season slide with its sixth loss in seven games.

This time, it was a 78-61 defeat to No. 8 Auburn. Unlike the first meeting on Jan. 20, which saw Georgia lead by as many as 16 before losing by 14, the Tigers were able to build an early lead and do plenty to keep enough distance from the Bulldogs.

Bulldogs struggled defensively, allowing Auburn to shoot 50.9 percent from the field. For the second consecutive game, the Bulldogs allowed the opposing team to sink 11 3-pointers. Georgia head coach Mark Fox opened his post-game news conference by saying his team's ability to defend and rebound have not been up to his standard over the past three games.

He was then asked how much of that falls on the coaching staff. Seemingly annoyed with the question, Fox did state that the responsibility lies with him.

"It all falls on the coaching staff, you know. It all falls on me," Fox said. "I'll take 100 percent of the responsibility—100, OK? That's an accurate statement. That's on me, OK? That's totally on the coach to make sure we have the scheme and are ready to go. Now the individual has to emotionally and mentally get themselves ready to play. We've got to find the way to push those buttons. The responsibility totally falls on me."
Fox's future

Back in August, athletics director Greg McGarity sat down with The Telegraph for a wide-ranging interview, with part of it including why he decided to bring head coach Mark Fox back for a ninth season. At the time, McGarity expressed confidence that Fox would move the Bulldogs over the hump and into the NCAA Tournament.

In fact, McGarity was asked, point-blank, if Fox needed to make the NCAA Tournament in order to retain his job in 2018-19. McGarity wouldn't state a specific requirement, but did offer some insight into his thinking.

"We know what's expected at the University of Georgia," McGarity said. "You don't have to go out there and define that. That would be an insult to our coaches. They know what they need to do. And I just want to see a program that's moving forward in the right direction."

Twenty-four games into the 2017-18 season, it is evident this team is not moving in the right direction. In nine seasons, this is easily Fox's most talented roster. Yet the Bulldogs are once again in the same position below the bubble line for the NCAA Tournament.

Enough just might be enough.

Now, as crazy as it sounds, there is a path for Georgia (13-11, 4-8 SEC) to still somehow wind up in the NCAA Tournament. But that involves an improbable run with wins over Florida, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas A&M. The confidence level of that happening is slim to none. But crazier things have happened in this sport.

As for any potential decision on Fox's future, that's for McGarity, and the powers that be, to decide.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

State of Georgia basketball program and future of Mark Fox

QuoteATHENS — Both of these statements are true: 1) Mark Fox is a good coach whose tenure at Georgia ultimately will be thought of as a net positive. 2) Unless something drastically changes for the better during the next few weeks, Georgia will be under immense pressure to move on.

This is not an endorsement of that. It's merely an acknowledgment of what seems, as this slide continues, painfully obvious and perhaps inevitable.

It's just not working right now for Georgia's basketball team, which shows no signs of being able to fix things in the final few weeks. Things have unraveled, despite having one of the top players in the SEC. One certainly can argue that it's simply time for a new voice for the program.

This is Fox's ninth year as Georgia's coach, in which the team has made two NCAA Tournament appearances, going out in the first round each time. The Bulldogs have also yet to reach an SEC Championship Game. But there has been success. Georgia has four 20-win (or more) seasons under Fox, including three straight prior to last season, when the Bulldogs won 19 games. That's a level of sustained success that UGA has rarely had in basketball. He graduates all his players. He recruits and develops good citizens. He's a good ambassador for the school.

But the concern of many fans is the program has plateaued under Fox. This team may be the most talented one that Fox has had —

jbcarol

Rebels247David
‏ @Rebels247

Bad to Worse as Ole Miss Basketball Loses Fifth in a Row https://247sports.com/college/ole-miss/Article/Ole-Miss-remains-winless-in-true-road-contests-this-season-its-latest-setback-an-82-66-defeat-at-LSU-114979730 ... via @247Sports #OleMiss #HottyToddy

QuoteFor Ole Miss basketball, an impressive win against Alabama at home seems an eternity ago.

It's gone from bad to worse for the Rebels, who, with their 82-66 loss at LSU on Saturday, have dropped five games in a row. They've lost seven of their last eight, and the season is officially on the brink of the disaster with six games remaining.

Rebels fell to 11-14 overall and 4-8 in the SEC. LSU had lost six of its past eight games coming in, but the Tigers, instead, improved to 14-10 and 5-7. Ole Miss is now 0-8 in true road games.

"We certainly shifted momentum (at halftime)," Ole Miss head coach Andy Kennedy said. "I thought we had energy in the locker room at the half. This team is puzzling. It's puzzling for me as the head coach. We come out in the second half, can't get stops. We just refused to bend our knees and get stops. Schematically, you can only do so much, and we try to change our defenses when we can. But you've got to take it personal and you've got to sit down and suck it up and make a play. I thought even when we did we couldn't come up with a loose ball. We get technical fouls, which kind of was a big momentum-shifter early in the (second) half.

"When you look at the numbers, you allow your opponent to shoot 52 percent in the second half and you shoot 27. You realize, in Baton Rouge, it isn't going to go our way."

The loss followed a much different script than the Rebels' last trip to Baton Rouge. On Valentine's Day in 2017, Davis scored a career-high 33 points, 22 of which came in the second half, as Ole Miss erased a double-digit second half deficit to storm past LSU 96-79. A year later, however, the Rebels are reeling, and LSU moved its all-time series advantage to 121-88. The Rebels have won eight of the last 13 meetings, but their last win at LSU came in 2013.

"Six left and we go back home on Tuesday," Kennedy said. "As I told our guys, 'Listen, you can continue to pout and feel sorry for yourself, and that's an easy thing to do. Or you can find a way to grind your way out of this.' We'll see what they choose."

Ole Miss returns to action Tuesday against Arkansas at 6 p.m. [CST] on the SEC Network.

jbcarol

Mark Bradley‏Verified account @MarkBradleyAJC

Georgia looks done, and so does Mark Fox

QuoteATHENS — On Jan. 6, Georgia beat Alabama by 19 points to move to 11-3. Maybe you missed that result, coming as it did two days before those schools met in a different sport with a trophy at stake, but back then it would have been impossible to imagine the basketball Bulldogs falling all but off the NCAA bubble by Valentine's Day. But that's where they were...

The Bulldogs returned home and wasted another double-figure lead, falling to Arkansas in overtime. If not for an upset of Florida last week in Stegeman Coliseum, Georgia would have entered Saturday's Auburn rematch having lost six in a row. As it happened, the Bulldogs didn't have to worry about holding a lead this time. They never had one. They lost 78-61.

If this wasn't the worst home loss of Fox's tenure – now at eight years and 24 games – it belongs on the podium. On Lettermen's Day with former luminaries Willie Anderson and Jarvis Hayes in the Stegasaurus, the latest Bulldogs were clueless. They were outrebounded 31-27 by a smallish opponent. They allowed the Tigers to make 50.9 percent of their shots. They were outscored 30-26 in the lane, 25-9 off turnovers, 15-6 on second-chance points, 15-4 on the fast break and 17-10 off the bench.

Those numbers, manifold and meaningful though they were, only hinted at how outclassed Georgia was. The No. 8 Tigers entered without their leading scorer, Bryce Brown of Stone Mountain having dinged his shoulder in a loss to Texas A&M on Thursday. They've been without two key players and assistant coach Chuck Person all season, the wages of being enmeshed in the FBI's case against Adidas. But say what you will about Bruce Pearl – and I'll just say that I'd never hire him to shepherd my program – the man can coach.

I used to think Fox could, too. That opinion is undergoing major revision...

This seems a team that has lost hope. This seems a coach who, having been granted one of the longest leashes in recent collegiate annals, has at last run out of time.

jbcarol

Hugh Kellenberger
‏Verified account @HKellenbergerCL
6h6 hours ago

/ Takes the column I was writing about Andy Kennedy and Ole Miss needing to break up, sends to trash.

jbcarol

NazisGetLonelyToo‏ @BigSqueezeO

NazisGetLonelyToo Retweeted Pat Forde

Mark Fox at Georgia should be next...they have never made the NCAA tournament during his tenure!!

Pat Forde
‏Verified account @YahooForde
1h1 hour ago

Pat Forde Retweeted NazisGetLonelyToo

Except for the two years when they did make the NCAA tournament during his tenure.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway‏ @gatorhoops

Bruce Pearl doing his best work under cloud of uncertainty; can he survive at Auburn? https://sports.yahoo.com/bruce-pearl-best-work-cloud-uncertainty-can-survive-auburn-210348651.html?soc_src=social-sh&soc_trk=tw ... via @YahooSports

jbcarol

Jeff Borzello
‏Verified account @jeffborzello

After losing eight of their previous 10 games, Mark Fox and Georgia with a huge two-win week: at Florida, vs. Tennessee.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway
‏ @gatorhoops

7 college basketball coaches on the hot seat (and 4 others to watch) https://sports.yahoo.com/7-college-basketball-coaches-hot-seat-4-others-watch-005740204.html ... via @YahooSports

QuoteGeorgia (5). Mark Fox has been under pressure for years, and the likelihood of missing the NCAA tournament for the seventh time in nine seasons should mean that time is up. In an SEC that has upgraded its coaching in recent seasons, Fox hasn't been able to sustain success. The Bulldogs may be making a bid to salvage the season with consecutive upsets of Florida and Tennessee, but at 15-11 and 6-8, it could be too little and too late.

How good is the job: Very good, given the local talent and SEC money. If it comes open, athletic director Greg McGarity will have an attractive candidate pool of rising stars and others with established résumés.

SCANDAL WATCH

Four programs that could have openings, depending how much blowback results from the ongoing federal investigation of college basketball and potential attendant NCAA issues. As Yahoo Sports' Pete Thamel reported last week, evidence accrued by the feds indicates that damage from this scandal could be profound.

Auburn (11). Bruce Pearl could well be national Coach of the Year if not for The Investigation Thing, which has resulted in the firing or suspension of five people associated with Auburn basketball — but not Pearl. He's confident he will be OK when all is said and done. That could well be wishful thinking.

How good is the job: Never been a perennial winner, never been to a Final Four. The school did build a new arena a couple of years ago, but there isn't much natural zeal for basketball at Auburn.

jbcarol

Georgia still seems to be trying to find itself as season nears end

QuoteHead coach Mark Fox was asked after his team's 66-57 loss at South Carolina when his team looked off balance, whether it was the matchup or his team was still trying to figure things out.

"No that's a total credit to South Carolina. They disrupt everybody," Fox said. "The way that they play, your hope is you get a game where you can win the foul line. But that's a total credit to South Carolina and how they defend, and how disruptive they are."

It may be true. South Carolina (15-13, 6-9 SEC), now having swept Georgia (15-12, 6-9), may just be a bad matchup for the Bulldogs. But the Bulldogs also committed 17 turnovers, including 5 travel violations in the first 9 minutes alone, and you can't chalk all those up to just a bad matchup.

"At the end of the day turnovers are always on the offense," Georgia senior Yante Maten said.

The problem remains an offense that just isn't consistent, perhaps the result of a team that just hasn't been able to establish its roles.

It's getting too late to fix it.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

Georgia coach Mark Fox goes off again on recruiting scandal: 'I'm disgusted'

QuoteI was going to ask Mark Fox a basketball question. I swear. It was my turn next on the microphone, and I was going to ask the Georgia coach about using only eight men in his team's 93-82 win over LSU on Saturday.

ESPN reporter David Hale, who had been dispatched mainly to cover the LSU angle of the FBI investigation, stuck around for Fox's press conference, since Fox had been so outspoken about the matter. A day before he called it "the tip of the iceberg" when it came to corruption in basketball recruiting. And that was before ESPN reported that Arizona coach-for-now Sean Miller was caught on wiretap discussing a $100,000 payment to a recruit. And it was before Yahoo Sports added more to its previous strong reporting.

So Hale, like any good reporter, decided to see if Fox had any more thoughts.

And away Fox went.

"I'm disgusted," he said, pausing a few moments. "I'm disgusted with how people have treated our game. It's absolutely disgusting.

"You know, there's always going to be unethical behavior. Let's say we give each team $1 million to pay your players. You know, someone's not going to like the salary cap and they're going to find a way around it.

"But whatever the rules are, and I'm all in favor of trying to find ways to help these kids more and more, if it's a way to get the kids compensated more, I'm 100 percent behind that. But whatever regulations we have in place, we're supposed to follow them."

Fox then compared it to a baseball game: "My team gets four outs per inning and your team gets three. That's not fair. And the way people have treated our game it's just disgusting. And it starts with the coaches, and everybody else."

Fox had also been asked how he thought the NCAA was handling the affair so far.

"The NCAA is made up of member institutions. How are the institutions handling it? That would be my first question. How are they handling it? Putting their head in the sand and looking the other way — or dealing with it."

Fox said he sat his team down Friday and talked about the scandal, and the importance of "doing things the right way."

"I'm past anger, sadness, it's disgusting," Fox said, finishing his two minute and 30 second soliloquy by saying: "We have treated the game so poorly."

At this point it was my turn with the microphone, so I ditched my question about the eight-man rotation and asked a two-parter. Fox would only end up addressing the first part.

Have you had to back off a player and lost a player because the recruit or someone close to him wanted to be paid?

"Most of those things that occur happen in the shadows and the darkness. So most of the time nobody ever finds out, even though your instincts tell you what's going on," Fox said. "Until the FBI has gotten involved people didn't know it. So absolutely we've had some situations where we didn't get players because of that reason. And other teams have too.

"I firmly believe you can still do this job the right way. And that's how we're going to do it."

That last part was the closest Fox came to addressing the second part of the question: Should his tenure at Georgia and status going forward be considered by his trying to do things the right way, and not winning as many games because of that?

Georgia won the game on Saturday, and has now won three of its past four, but it is still only 16-12 overall, and has an uphill climb to make the NCAA Tournament. Fox has only made two NCAA Tournaments in his nine years, and if he doesn't make it this year, his tenure may well come to an end.

Earlier in the day I asked Georgia athletic director Greg McGarity, via email, given the revelations coming out about basketball recruiting, if he would like to offer any comment on how it impacts his view on Fox's approach, and his status going forward.

"We are very proud of the way Mark Fox consistently represents the University and Athletic Association," McGarity responded through a spokesman, leaving it at that.

jbcarol

Marc Weiszer
‏ @marcweiszer

Bulldogs play Vanderbilt in SEC tournament. Mark Fox on postgame radio: "We're disappointed in our conference play and where we finished. I told the team, it's not their fault. They gave good effort. Let me take full responsibility for being 7-11. That's all on my shoulders."

QuoteGeorgia couldn't close out an upset bid at No. 16 Tennessee Saturday night, ensuring the Bulldogs will have to play on the first night of the SEC men's basketball tournament this coming week.

The Bulldogs will be the No. 12 seed and play Wednesday in St. Louis against No. 13 seed Vanderbilt at 7 p.m. ET.

Tennessee scored the final nine points at home to win 66-61 for a share of its first SEC regular season title since 2008.

It's the first time Georgia will play in the SEC tournament on Wednesday in the six seasons since the event was played over five days after the league expanded to 14 teams. If Georgia wins, it would play No. 5 seed Missouri on Thursday.

Georgia (16-14, 7-11 SEC) lost at Vanderbilt (12-19, 6-12) 81-66 on Feb. 7 in their only meeting this season.

The Bulldogs Saturday led Tennessee 42-31 in the first half and by eight at halftime, but couldn't hold on and lost for the third time in its last four games.

"It's a new season," coach Mark Fox said on the Georgia's postgame radio show. "We're disappointed in our conference play and where we finished. I told the team, it's not their fault. They gave good effort. Let me take full responsibility for being 7-11. That's all on my shoulders. They've given us a great effort and I would anticipate they would do the same thing in St. Louis."

Now, the Bulldogs almost certainly need to improbably win the SEC tournament championship to make the NCAA tournament.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell
‏ @Michael_Carvell

Georgia leadership has no other option unless Mark Fox's team wins SEC Tournament

QuoteATHENS ― Mark Fox said and did all the right things after Georgia basketball's game against Tennessee on Saturday had concluded. He talked about how proud he was of the effort his team put forth and said he was looking forward to the SEC Tournament and the new opportunities that event will bring.

Fox said all that, but his body language said something different. He looked whipped. He looked drained. His words didn't come with much fire and conviction.

And that's understandable, because the writing is on the wall, and it's about to be on the bottom of a piece of paper in the form of a separation agreement. Unless the Bulldogs win the SEC Tournament in St. Louis this week and earn the automatic NCAA Tournament bid that comes with it, the Fox Era at Georgia likely will come to an end.

That would've been the case whether or not the Bulldogs (16-14, 7-11 SEC) pulled off the upset in Knoxville on Saturday. But the fact that they didn't ― and the fact that the 66-61 loss to Tennessee pretty much followed to the letter the script we've witnessed from Georgia often this season and in seasons past ―

And that's too bad, because Fox is a good man, a good coach and an excellent administrator. He runs a tight ship, doesn't cut corners and comports himself with distinction. But the bottom-line charge of any coach at UGA ― even in men's basketball ―

jbcarol

Decision time arrives for Mark Fox and Georgia

QuoteFox wore a sullen expression, as he has for most of the past month. Greg McGarity stood in the back of the room, occasionally looking down at his phone. The Georgia basketball season finally ended for all purposes. Now the inevitable seems likely to come down.

A decision on Fox's status as Georgia coach may come down as soon as Saturday. It was not confirmed immediately after Friday's loss to Kentucky in the SEC quarterfinals. But the signs continue to point in the direction of a change.

McGarity demurred when asked by several reporters, saying it "was not the right moment." In past instances, when a coach was being retained, McGarity has moved to quash the speculation. He has not done so this time.

Fox may even already know his fate. Once a prolific tweeter, Fox hasn't tweeted since Feb. 10, prior to the home loss to Auburn. That game finished a run in which Georgia lost eight of 10 games, perhaps sealing the decision by UGA administrators.

Georgia tried to climb out of it, pulling off wins over Florida and Tennessee, and then winning the first two games here at the SEC Tournament, including an upset of Missouri. But it all may not be enough, as Georgia (18-15) will miss the NCAA Tournament for the seventh time in Fox's nine years.

As Kentucky's coach, Calipari has now won 11 in a row over Fox. After Friday's game, Calipari put Fox's status in the context of other factors, especially the ongoing FBI investigation into recruiting corruption.

"Let's just hope that Georgia looks at this and looks at a bigger picture and says, 'You know what, it's in good hands,' " Calipari said. "There's a lot of stuff going on out there, stuff that's not going on at Georgia. They're in good hands. That has to mean something."

Calipari said he told Fox before the game that he would be happy if Georgia won and kept going.

"I'd love for you to beat us and get two more and go play in that tournament and squelch all the crap," Calipari said he told Fox. "It's nuts in our profession. Guys like a Mark Fox, they could consider and say, 'Well, he's not doing a good enough job for us.' I just beg to differ."

Fox has now guided Georgia to five straight winning seasons, and six overall. The program is undoubtedly in better shape than he inherited it nine years ago.

jbcarol

AL.com sports
‏Verified account @aldotcomSports
.@JoeGoodmanJr's latest column –– It's time to stop questioning Avery Johnson at Alabama: https://trib.al/e3qbyXX

QuoteAlabama hired Johnson three years ago to make Alabama basketball matter. On Thursday night, the veteran NBA coach delivered on his end of that bargain. Alabama 86, Virginia Tech 83 was Alabama's first victory in the NCAA Tournament since 2006.

Collin Sexton was 7-years old back then.

With Sexton as his blue-chip centerpiece, Johnson outrecruited the SEC to earn a place in the NCAA Tournament, then, with Alabama back in the Big Dance for the first time since 2012, Johnson outcoached Virginia Tech's Buzz Williams to deliver an upset and advance to the second round.

Williams unraveled under the pressure here in Pittsburgh when he picked up a technical foul in the final minute of the game. It came after Alabama freshman Herbert Jones stepped in front of Virginia Tech's best player, junior guard Justin Robinson, and drew a charging foul in the lane.

"We went out and tried to outwork everybody for recruits, and a lot of these guys that are on our squad tonight, we got in the trenches with them early on -- some like Collin Sexton that nobody ever heard of before we even offered him," Johnson said.

Johnson beat out Kentucky for Sexton and Petty, giving Alabama its best recruiting class in school history, but still there were doubters.

jbcarol

Scott Stricklin
‏Verified account @ScottStricklin
10h10 hours ago

Scott Stricklin Retweeted

.@MikeWhiteUF IS my guy. Don't @ me...

jbcarol

Jeff Barlis
‏ @JeffBarlis
9h9 hours ago

Jeff Barlis Retweeted Kevin Brockway

Think Mike White did the best he could with a confounding group of players.

jbcarol

AL.com sports
‏Verified account @aldotcomSports

Bruce Pearl: 'Anticipation' is he'll remain Auburn basketball coach

QuoteWith Auburn's season over, Bruce Pearl's future is now on the clock.

The fourth-year coach will return to the Plains with his team on Monday and "go to work." When he'll know if that will be a long-term assignment or one that ends in the coming weeks or months remains to be seen.

"I'm Auburn's basketball coach and I'm blessed and happy to be Auburn's basketball coach," Pearl said following Sunday's 84-53 loss to Clemson in the second round of the NCAA Tournament. "I want to stay at Auburn. Like I've said all season long, I feel very good about the position that we're in, the process that we've gone through and my anticipation is that I'll be Auburn's basketball coach."

Auburn athletic director Allen Greene and university president Steven Leath attended both of the basketball team's games in San Diego this weekend, but neither has spoken in certain terms about Pearl's future.

The NCAA is still reviewing Auburn's program, and reportedly over 30 others, in the wake of last fall's FBI investigation that resulted in 10 arrests, of which four were assistant coaches including then-Auburn assistant Chuck Person.

Pearl maintains his position that he and the program are OK, other than the pending ramifications related to Person.

jbcarol

Not on the Hot Seat from those who count:

Rixter
‏ @rixter719
Replying to @KyleTucker_SEC

And that's ok if you hang Elite 8 banners, or hand out Sweet 16 rings like they do at IU.  But this is "the GOLD STANDARD of college basketball" (not my words).  Three straight years of no Final Four appearances isn't acceptable when the bar is set that high

Kyle Tucker
‏ @KyleTucker_SEC
Apr 6

Kyle Tucker Retweeted Rixter

LOL. Do you know how many years are between 1998 and 2011?